Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Price Change]: 200MB Data Add-on Now $5

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi Community, 

We have some exciting news to announce today! Effective July 22, 2020 the 200MB Data Add-On will be priced at $5, down from $10.

In May, we lowered our 1GB Data Add-On price, and with all the positive feedback received, we’ve made the decision to change the price of our 200MB Add-On as well. At Public, we are constantly looking for ways that we can make our services more valuable for our customers. 

To get your $5 200MB Data Add-On, follow these steps: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Ensure you have sufficient funds in your account. If not, make sure to top up. 
  3. Go to “Plan and Add-Ons”
  4. Select “My Add-Ons”
  5. Select the 200MB Add-On under ‘Data’
  6. Click ‘Buy Add-Ons 

- The Public Mobile Team

76 REPLIES 76

@TMS wrote:

@pm-smayer97 

Other than being locked in for two years, the only other disappointing thing is not having coverage in the USA. ...Or is there an add on that can be added to your plan for the USA for a week or two with Zoomer? 🤔 

Yes, they do here: https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/addons  under Travel Packs tab. Don't confuse that with their section for Canada/US plan add-ons which can only be added to existing Canada/US plans.

BUT if all you need is calling TO the US,  consider KeepCalling here https://keepcalling.com/

The rates listed "include" taxes because they do not charge tax, so it is even cheaper.

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pm-smayer97 

Other than being locked in for two years, the only other disappointing thing is not having coverage in the USA. ...Or is there an add on that can be added to your plan for the USA for a week or two with Zoomer? 🤔 

@TMS wrote:

@computergeek541 

I’m getting closer to jumping ship. Been here for almost three years after porting out then back in to Public Mobile. They have changed their tune. Don’t give a squat about a $2.00 autopay that much as I once did. I’ve been looking at Zoomer Mobile. Many great reviews on their customer service and their plans are better priced than the $40 5GB here. Not to mention, you get a free phone. Activation Credit of $100 and there is a referral credit of $50 to each. Amazing. 

When Public Mobile when! When are you guys going to step it up?

Actually, Zoomer has 5GB plan for $36. To get the $100 credit you need to sign up for 2 yr term but that means an additional $4.16 savings per month, or under $32/mo.

They even offer a 200 texts add-on for only $5.

For those interested, please add your count and voice your interest at this thread:

How about a Texting Add-On (for PM).

TMS

@computergeek541 

I’m getting closer to jumping ship. Been here for almost three years after porting out then back in to Public Mobile. They have changed their tune. Don’t give a squat about a $2.00 autopay that much as I once did. I’ve been looking at Zoomer Mobile. Many great reviews on their customer service and their plans are better priced than the $40 5GB here. Not to mention, you get a free phone. Activation Credit of $100 and there is a referral credit of $50 to each. Amazing. 

When Public Mobile when! When are you guys going to step it up?

@TMS wrote:

@Catherine_T 

Does Public Mobile realize that Lucky Mobile gives unlimited 128 Kbps data after using your plan’s allotment?

Let’s get this put into Public Mobile plans! 🙂

Of course they do, but Public almost seems to have almost stopped competing. Public use to set the tone for promotions. Then, they started sitting back and waiting to see what Chatr and Lucky did and would copy them move for move. Now, it seems that they're content to let the competitors have the new customers.  Public Mobile's current customers might be happy because of rewards, but those rewards are unlikely to attact many new customers who want immediate savings.

TMS

@Catherine_T 

Does Public Mobile realize that Lucky Mobile gives unlimited 128 Kbps data after using your plan’s allotment?

Let’s get this put into Public Mobile plans! 🙂

Starshoot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Great change, thank you very much!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Catherine_T   That's a good price reduction and a more reasonable cost for the 200MB data, and there probably are some users who might be willing to spend $5 for this now if they only need to access data occasionally. 

However, I was looking at the PM website on my phone and notice that the new pricing doesn't show up there but can be viewed on my desktop.  I think it would be helpful for anyone viewing this information on devices other than their desktops to be able to see the correct pricing/info on all platforms. 

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Welcome to public mobile Catherine. This might come in handy for me I don't use much data. Knowing It's only $5  I might just buy as it would take me a long time to use 1gb.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to your new role here @Catherine_T  and thank you for taking the time to share this. Some of us may not use it but for others, I am sure this will be well received. 

treefrog

@Catherine_T 

Welcome to the community! Im new too but its seems like a pretty friendly place and safely socially distant too. From what ive read so far public mobile reduces prices rather than raise them which is the trend of the other guys. Its a refreshing change. Keep up the great work!

jmqm

Let's celebrate by giving everyone 2GB free.

@makkahn28 wrote:

I agree, ditch the 200MB and instead reinstate the 500MB for $7-$8 that would be more preferable 

If they are now selling 1GB for $15, they will definitely not sell 500MB for $7. But if they made it $8, that would still allow room to see 200MB for $5, so people can choose.

They do similarly for the 200mins, 400mins and 500mins add-ons for $8, $15 and $5. (yes, I know those have different calling areas).

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I agree, ditch the 200MB and instead reinstate the 500MB for $7-$8 that would be more preferable 

nickelante

Agreed.

jonfirlotte

This is awesome, thanks PM!

@Jazz37 wrote:

Excellent, the price of a coffee at some places! 

And most of those places have wifi so you’re all set!

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good news, thanks!

sunflowershine

It is a good news! 

fujiyama

Price drop is always good, thanks! 200mb is very little by today's standards but I guess it's good for people with minimal usage.

Although, maybe consider changing it to 250mb so that it's in line with current plan denominations?

dac13

Always nice to see savings instead of increases....especially during these crazy Covid times.

Good move, more happy people now. 😄 

however it is so close to the other addon. 

@Pawprints1986 The grandfathered $10 50 minutes/ 50 texts per 30 day cycle plan would benefit from a texting add on. It already has the 500 minute $5 talk add on.  Stay safe. 

Pawprints1986

I would definitely consider the 2gb at $30 plan... The 35 one may as well pay 5 more dollars and get 5gb but I don't have that much use for data to justify it. 

Also don't all the plans, besides the data only plan, have included unlimited texting? Haven't looked in a while but I feel like they did... Thought it was only calling that was limited on the $15 plan? 

zblackma

Thanks for the information @Catherine_T , every little bit helps. Welcome to Public Mobile. Hope that you and your family are healthy and weathering this brave new world. 

fdrcamb519

@Catherine_T 

This is great news, we keep getting more for less. Thank you 

sa7375

An absolute yes-yes for a Texting Add-on and would love that ❤️

@pm-smayer97 

@Catherine_T maybe now's a good time to change that extra $35 plan to $30/2gb and upgrade the $35/2gb to $35/3gb like we talked about 👉👉👉👍😉

Jazz37

Excellent, the price of a coffee at some places! 

@Catherine_T 

Welcome to public mobile.

Its good to see a price reduction for the 200mb data add on. It gives an option to add some data if needed if funds are limited and the customer cant afford to get the better valued $15/1gb.

Need Help? Let's chat.