cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Plan updates + new $10 limited talk and text plan!

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

The only usage of minutes regarding voicemail is when you access your voicemail from your cell phone only. Accessing voicemail from a landline does not use up minutes either. 

One neat way to access VM while avoiding consuming metered minutes (apropos for the $10/50 min and now $15/100 min plans) is to install Google Hangouts or Voico (both available for Android and iOS), and then once you verify your phone number within the app, it allows outgoing calls to show up as your phone number for Caller ID.  Then, provided you're in WiFi (or you have cellular data and don't mind consuming it), you can call your VM access number (typically [area code]-580-4001) from Hangouts or Voico, and it will be as if you called from your cell phone line.

This avoids having to get to a landline or other phone (and possibly having to enter the phone/mailbox number, depending on how you're accessing the VM system), and if you've turned off passcode entry when calling from your own phone, then you'll immediately access the main menu.

Highlighted

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

The only usage of minutes regarding voicemail is when you access your voicemail from your cell phone only. Accessing voicemail from a landline does not use up minutes either. 

One neat way to access VM while avoiding consuming metered minutes (apropos for the $10/50 min and now $15/100 min plans) is to install Google Hangouts or Voico (both available for Android and iOS), and then once you verify your phone number within the app, it allows outgoing calls to show up as your phone number for Caller ID.  Then, provided you're in WiFi (or you have cellular data and don't mind consuming it), you can call your VM access number (typically [area code]-580-4001) from Hangouts or Voico, and it will be as if you called from your cell phone line.

This avoids having to get to a landline or other phone (and possibly having to enter the phone/mailbox number, depending on how you're accessing the VM system), and if you've turned off passcode entry when calling from your own phone, then you'll immediately access the main menu.

Interesting tip to consider. BTW< I just read up about Voico and I see lots of comments about having to watch videos after every call. Is this true/correct?

Highlighted

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@CalgaryBen wrote:

install Google Hangouts or Voico (both available for Android and iOS)

Interesting tip to consider. BTW< I just read up about Voico and I see lots of comments about having to watch videos after every call. Is this true/correct?

Yes, that's definitely the downside to Voico (hence Hangouts being a cleaner solution).  Voico has ads/videos you can watch to earn credits, but calling in Canada (minus NWT) doesn't require credits, so in my view the ads/videos are pretty pointless; I usually close/dismiss the app after a call, so it's not too obtrusive (fortunately it doesn't blast ads in your face upon launching, from my experience, so you're able to launch and dial a number without much getting in your way).

In all honesty I don't use Voico regularly.  I have it installed for testing/evaluation purposes, but would prefer using Google Hangouts in scenarios where such an app is useful.  If I am using cell data, I'd also shy away from Voico since the ads/videos probably consume a fair bit of data.  But Voico is a bit easier to set up for iPhone users, so worthy of a mention...

Need Help? Let's chat.