cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan updates + new $10 limited talk and text plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of June 19, 2018: This post has been updated to provide additional clarity that leaving a voicemail message uses minutes. 

Update as of June 11, 2018: This post has been updated to rectify that call forwarding counts toward your plan’s minutes.

Update as of May 4, 2018: This is no longer a limited time offer. 

Hey Community,

We recently completed a pricing review and wanted to let you know that you will be seeing some changes to our 3G pricing, effective today.

Our goal is to provide our customers with simple plans that provide great value. You can check out all the new pricing on our website, but at a high level, the big thing to note is that our Canada-wide talk, text, and 3G-speed data plans are now more competitive. Great news for anyone traveling within Canada this summer!

Additionally, we are introducing a new limited time $10 30-day limited talk and text plan.This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

• 50 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  • 50 International Outgoing Texts and Unlimited Incoming Texts and Picture Messages
  • Voicemail and Call Display

Note, checking your voicemail will use your minutes. Since this is the first time we have offered a ‘limited’ plan since we re-launched the brand, we’ve included FAQs on how this will work  in the spoiler below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

• Making a call
  • Answering a call
  • Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages
  • Using call forwarding
  • Calling *611 (the IVR)
  • Making or receiving calls from 911
  • Using calling apps when connected to Wifi

What is the maximum length of one text message?

A text message contains 160 characters; longer texts are broken down into 160 character segments. Each segment is counted as one text message.

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of text messages or minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you have 10 outgoing texts left or 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 50 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 50 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

I’ve run out of outgoing text messages included in my plan. What are my options to keep sending text messages?

We do not offer an Add-On for text messaging. We suggest you try one of our plans with unlimited text messages included. You can select any of our other Ready-Made Plans or build your own plan using our calculator.

If you like your limited talk and text plan, you can wait until your next billing cycle or you can renew your plan early.

Why is a text Add-On not being offered?

This is the first time we have introduced a plan with limited Talk and Text, so, to-date, there hasn’t been a need for a Text Add-On. Depending on demand and market changes, we may introduce a Text Add-On in the future; however this is not available at this time.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.   

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.  

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans. 

302 REPLIES 302

skinwg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for your details in the spoiler. I changed to this $10 plan for 2 weeks but found out below consuming my minutes unexpectedly 

1. Call forward to other number

2. Incoming Call being routed voicemail, charged as outgoing minutes, as much as 5 Mins as long as the recording is not stopping.

I tried message with moderator team but the agent is not helping at all. Please advise my next step? Thanks

DC1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Quote and re :
 Model Citizen
Re: Plan updates + new $10 limited talk and text plan!

If you can afford to pay in advance, the 90 day plans are still better because the data rolls over for 3 months. It gives you more flexibility in how you use your data if you don't always use the same amount every month.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It works particularily well with this little 50 minute 50 text plan if you text / talk infrequently most of the time but can Gab at times..

slpless
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Luddite wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I believe so, it might have been an oversight.  It would be a lot of work to program out this function for just this particular plan.  Recognize that forwarded minutes are chargeable. 

On this new minimalist plan there is no charge for call forwarding. Check the FAQ.

Quite a few people reported at redflagdeals.com that call forwarding use up minutes or a minute. I myself sent an email to a moderator about this issue.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-8-50-canada-wide-minutes-50-texts-2185821/34/#p2932352...

Yes!

Do you get all those rewards like other plans?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jorno wrote:

Edit: this post by @srlawren appears to provide a detailed and definitive answer to your question.

@Jorno thanks for linking my post.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nguyetle44, As mentioned, incomming texts are not supposed to be counted towards your 50 texts (on the $10 plan).  It is clearly stated as such.  You need to send a private message to the moderator team and ask them to resolve this issue.  you are not the first person to mention this.  Please let us know what happens.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST).  Include your account# and PIN in order to speed up initial communications.
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

mattdxb

@nguyetle44 wrote:

How come receiving text messages from Public Mobile system admin counts towards your monthly text message usage?  That's not really fair...

That shouldn't be the case. Incoming SMS is free and unlimited. It's outgoing SMS that is counted towards the limit.

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@canucks4life wrote:

If you have a 200 LD add-on and 50 plan min are already used up for the cycle will it take voice min from add-on just until 30-day plan cycle resets?

From the "spoiler" information in the original post (key points bolded by me):

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 50 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 50 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

Presumably, voice minutes will draw from the included 50 minutes once your plan starts a new cycle.  Unfortunately, I cannot confirm with first-hand experience.

Edit: this post by @srlawren appears to provide a detailed and definitive answer to your question.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you have a 200 LD add-on and 50 plan min are already used up for the cycle will it take voice min from add-on just until 30-day plan cycle resets?

nguyetle44

How come receiving text messages from Public Mobile system admin counts towards your monthly text message usage?  That's not really fair...

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Brooke_C wrote:

Update as of May 4, 2018: This is no longer a limited time offer. 

Just saw that this is now indefinite!  This is awesome!!!

Works out to $7/month with auto-pay and $1 referral (assuming you use this as an additional line or emergency phone, e.g. for kids, aging parents, etc.).

Furthermore, if you have a post-paid balance of $50 with Telus, you should get it refunded once you porting to Public Mobile is completed.

If you have a prepaid $50 balance with Telus, then I would just stay with Telus until your balance is used, and then make the switch to PM. Just keep in mind that PM current plans may change in the future.

srlawren

@marcomoore1956 wrote:

i dotn i am new that why i am try to get anew sim card for free i a  with tleus for 50 doall  local misn and have 35 doallr with them can that 35 be trnafer too 

@marcomoore1956 wrote:

then i am staying with tleus 

@marcomoore1956 I don't mean any offense, but your original post is very difficult to read so I'm not quite sure what you're saying.  If you're saying that you will not leave Telus because you have an account credit at Telus, this may or may not be a good idea.  I don't know what plan you're on with Telus right now, what you're paying for it, and how much credit you have with them (as again, I had a hard time with your first message, sorry).  What you might want to consider is how much would you save per month by switching to this $10 plan here, and how many months would it take for you to break even if you have to give up the balance credit you have with Telus.  And then think about beyond that, how much would it save you over say 12 months of service.  

To my point, let's say that you're currently paying Telus $20 a month for a similar plan, and have a bill credit of $40 (these are just made up numbers but hopefully you get the idea).  If you were to switch to Public Mobile, you would save $10 (in this case) per month, which mean it would take about 4 months to "break even" on the credit you'd lose.  But then after that, you'd be saving that $10 per month ongoing.  So, after one year, you'd have saved 12 months - 4 months (break even time) = 8 months X $10 = $80 over a year.  Over 2 years it would be 24 months - 4 months (break even time) = 20 months X $10 = $200 over 2 years. 

You'd have to look at your specific situation, but it might be a "short term pain for long term gain" type of situation.  Food for thought?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Hey @marcomoore1956,

About the balance transfer from Telus to PM, you will have to send a private message to the @CS_Agent and ask.  This is an unusual scenario and we have not info on it.  

marcomoore1956

then i am staying with tleus 

brent_liza

They will not transfer the $50.00 @marcomoore1956

marcomoore1956

i dotn i am new that why i am try to get anew sim card for free i a  with tleus for 50 doall  local misn and have 35 doallr with them can that 35 be trnafer too

chakri264

Thanks for the update

@computergeek541 wrote:

@marcomoore1956 wrote:

how do i get free sim card and plan for 0

In addition to the autopay and referal discounts mentioned earlier, another opportunity to reduce your plan cost it to participate regularly in discussion on this Public Mobile community website.  Depnding on your level of activity, there is the possibility of of receiving a $1, $2, $4, $6, or $10 discount for a 30 day period.

Except for the $10, which is not really attainable, well at least short/medium-time speaking... 😉

@marcomoore1956 wrote:

In addition to the autopay and referal discounts mentioned earlier, another opportunity to reduce your plan cost it to participate regularly in discussion on this Public Mobile community website.  Depnding on your level of activity, there is the possibility of of receiving a $1, $2, $4, $6, or $10 discount for a 30 day period.

brent_liza

@marcomoore1956 you must have a public mobile member's phone number as a referral to get the sim card for free. This offer ends May 10th. to get the plan for $0.00 you would need to do two options. 1) refer ten people to public mobile as each referral gives you $1.00 every 30 days. option 2) enrol in auto-pay $2.00 credit every month that it is active on the account. You would then need to refer 8 people as this would give you $8.00 per month. Hope this helps.

marcomoore1956

smp99

@Korth wrote:

Ha, Chatr also offers a Canada-wide $10, 50min, 50msg plan.

Although, again, PM's version works out better in terms of flexibility, cost, and upgrade paths.

So there's really no reason for PM to increase the limits to 100min/100msg.  Although I'd bet that if they did so then they'd scoop some Lucky/Chatr customers onto the Telus network.  I even think a $15, 100min, 100msg plan would get good response since the competitors don't (yet) offer anything equivalent, though it might not be profitable enough to interest Telus.

All you have to do is charge an extra $5 for unlimited texting. Parents, teens, casual users would be all over it. Especially with the add-ons available. BUT BUT - don't offer it for 30 days, make it $45 for 90 days. 

Keep the $10 plan as is - it is great for very light use and perfect for visitors who want a burner plan when they visit for a few weeks, especially knowing that they can add data and long distance to call back home.

Ha, Chatr also offers a Canada-wide $10, 50min, 50msg plan.

Although, again, PM's version works out better in terms of flexibility, cost, and upgrade paths.

So there's really no reason for PM to increase the limits to 100min/100msg.  Although I'd bet that if they did so then they'd scoop some Lucky/Chatr customers onto the Telus network.  I even think a $15, 100min, 100msg plan would get good response since the competitors don't (yet) offer anything equivalent, though it might not be profitable enough to interest Telus.

zmh1175

Please put at least 100 mins and 100 text for this plan. that will be so great.

smp99

@Korth wrote:

Well, it seems that Lucky Mobile also offers a Canada-wide $10, 50min, 50msg plan, lol.

(At least in all provinces outside Quebec.)

Although the PM version can use Add-ons (for more minutes, which always rollover until used), and a $2 AutoPay Reward (and other Rewards) ... so it's a better deal, more flexibility if/when you need it and more value if rock bottom lowest possible price matters more than anything else.  And upgrading to unlimited Talk/Text plans on PM is cheaper, as well.

And with the Lucky Mobile plan, your  50 text are counted for sent/received. You do not get unlimited incoming.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Well, it seems that Lucky Mobile also offers a Canada-wide $10, 50min, 50msg plan, lol.

(At least in all provinces outside Quebec.)

Although the PM version can use Add-ons (for more minutes, which always rollover until used), and a $2 AutoPay Reward (and other Rewards) ... so it's a better deal, more flexibility if/when you need it and more value if rock bottom lowest possible price matters more than anything else.  And upgrading to unlimited Talk/Text plans on PM is cheaper, as well.

LEGO

@pckku wrote:

This is the great plan and I am happy finally PM is listening to the needs of those casual users. Please tell me if I am able to opt for the 90 days term for this $10 per 30 days plan, in this way, perhaps I can also take advantage of the $2 rebate for automatic payment option.  Thanks

luckee7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The plan is only available every 30 days and $2 auto pay reward is as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.