cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: [Pilot] Certified Pre-Owned Phones Now Available at Public

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

With proper maintainance and tweaks a phone can last aLOT longer than 3 years... Same with computers. If you're phones getting slow you don't necessarily need a new one... You need a reformat first. There would be residual junk from apps tried and deleted etc

I only last year retired a Samsung Galaxy s2 equivalent. Its very possible with proper care

Yes, you can use a phone a lot longer than 3 years, but many people won't want to. I don't believe that computers are a fair comparison. Most computer systems from even 10 years ago can still run the most current operating system. The same can't be said about cell phones. And even if it a cellular device can run the most current operating system after 3 years, it involves running custom software that many people wouldn't want to venture into.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yay. Good job. Hurray. Awesome.

- for offering phones. 

Nay. Fail. Boo. Not Awesome. 
- for the phones/prices offered. 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

$180 for a used 6s is expensive

Highlighted
Oracle

@Lorca wrote:

While these phones are used I would not consider them the same as what you would find for sale online by private sellers.  These phones have been factory refurbished to new condition and come with a 1 year warranty.

I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click the  in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Lorca wrote:

But it is a 32gb

It will be iOS 14.2 updatable. It won’t have availability to iOS 15 though in 2021. 

It is under warranty. But what is the warranty? And what did the refurbishment include?

Never the less for a rooky first time buyer that wants an iPhone (reasonably priced vs new) and has no availability to a friends or family hand me down and doesn’t want to take the chance on Craigslist....this is a deal!!!

Highlighted

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Lorca wrote:

While these phones are used I would not consider them the same as what you would find for sale online by private sellers.  These phones have been factory refurbished to new condition and come with a 1 year warranty.

Factory refurbished devices would usually have manufactuer's warranty, but for these, the warranty is stated to be from Telus.  It would be interesting to find out if these devices carry any manufactuer's warranty, sepcifically when it comes to interactions with the Apple Store.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk 

Based on the few specifics offered, and on what the warranty explicitly does and does not include, I think the refurb basically amounts to a "factory" refresh/update of all softwares, a new battery (if needed), and a full checklist of tests and diagnostics to confirm everything works.

I doubt they did any "real" repairs. Maybe replaced the chassis plastics or screentop if they were too banged up, nothing too involved or time-consuming, nothing more involved than standard module replacements, no soldering tools or electronic bench gear anywhere.

It's a time-is-money numbers game. A pile of devices, a quota for the day, a deadline which budgets how much time can be allocated to each piece. If it can be fully fixed up, cleaned up, and tested then it's done, if it takes too much attention to troubleshoot or repair then it goes into the factory-return or spare parts piles.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Based on the few specifics offered, and on what the warranty explicitly does and does not include, I think the refurb basically amounts to a "factory" refresh/update of all softwares, a new battery (if needed), and a full checklist of tests and diagnostics to confirm everything works.

I doubt they did any "real" repairs. Maybe replaced the chassis plastics or screentop if they were too banged up, nothing too involved or time-consuming, nothing more involved than standard module replacements, no soldering tools or electronic bench gear anywhere.

It's a time-is-money numbers game. A pile of devices, a quota for the day, a deadline which budgets how much time can be allocated to each piece. If it can be fully fixed up, cleaned up, and tested then it's done, if it takes too much attention to troubleshoot or repair then it goes into the factory-return or spare parts piles.

Yes, I have read what they do for a "refurb". There is no doubt in my mind and they have a supply of good used phones from employees and they must have some dealers that supply them as well. I have heard that when trading in a phone at Best Buy, the trade is just disposed of, so if you are on any of their plans....take any old phone for a trade in and give the one you keep away to any one that can use it. So there must be a supply to first pick an almost  cosmetically perfect phone and then do some checks. Keep in mind too any iPhone must be iCloud unlocked by the owner and I don't know much about other phones as far as owner controlled locks and unlocks. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541  Apple warranty is 2 years from very first purchase. These phones PM are selling would not have Apple warranty considering the iPhone 6s was released (in Sept 2015) just Mobile Klinik base warranty. 

I also think not all phones are originally from Telus or Koodo considering Telus acquired Mobile Klinik in July 2020.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/07/02/telus-acquires-smartphone-repair-shop-company-mobile-klinik/

So I do not believe PM is pushing all old Telus/Koodo stock but the stock that Mobile Klinik has acquired through their time.

If you go to Mobile Klinik website they have the same 1 year warranty that PM is offering. Which is really a minimum basic warranty for hardware on the phone. 

Screenshot_20201109_210843.jpg

Alittle cheaper on PM as I just checked and the only IPhone 6s mobile klinik still have for 32gig start at good condition for $229.

So who knows what people will get here.

From their site the conditions are listed like below.

Like New: Free of any clearly visible dents or chips on the front of the phone. Pretty much Like New!

Very Good: Some light scuffing on the side of the device, or some light scratches on the body or the screen!

Good: Visible scuffing on the side of the device, as well as hairline scratches on the body or the screen! (Don't worry, nothing that can't be covered up with a case!)

As for people asking to have a tab or things along those lines. Unlikely on here through PM but you guys might as well just go buy a used phone right from Mobile Klinik. Telus owns them.

They offer PayBright for some of their phones so you can split the payments on some of their phones that they sell.

Highlighted

@Jb456 wrote:

@computergeek541  Apple warranty is 2 years from very first purchase. These phones PM are selling would not have Apple warranty considering the iPhone 6s was released (in Sept 2015) just Mobile Klinik base warranty. 

I also think not all phones are originally from Telus or Koodo considering Telus acquired Mobile Klinik in July 2020.

I think that Public Mobile needs to be clear about what these devices are. In the past, almost all of Telus' certified pre-owned devices were nothing  more than phones returned with the 30 day return policy, although that did not mean that there some couldn't have been repaired warranty replacement units.  Personally, and regardless of any 1 year warranty and the devices passing quality control testing, I would not want a device that has a battery that has been used for a few years, at least not at these prices, and not when almost all phones now use internal batteries.

Need Help? Let's chat.