cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: [Pilot] Certified Pre-Owned Phones Now Available at Public

Buying your own phone and using it on PM is really not that expensive or hard to do. You just need to find the right phone for your budget and needs. 

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Pawprints1986 

Maybe public mobile could consider having a third party financing/borrower such as paybrite who offer equal payment loan services for a small fee ( usually 4 payments/$7-$20).

Everybody involved would want to make something out of the transaction otherwise there is nothing in it for them to be involved.  I cannot see how this would make purchases cheaper for the customer.  

Perhaps not immediately because that would be too obvious, but in the long run, this type of program will make the devices costs more on average. Somebody has to to pay the price for financing, and it isn't going to be the carrier.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ccdevmike wrote:

Buying your own phone and using it on PM is really not that expensive or hard to do. You just need to find the right phone for your budget and needs. 

I agree. Anyone could pick up a $100 or $200 smartphone from the selection at any store within driving range. (Unless they live far, far away from the nearest city.)

But many people do not balance their "budget" and "needs" very wisely.

I doubt that PM will have much luck selling any $300+ CPO phones. People who can afford it (already have the cash available) will likely prefer to spend it towards something better. People who cannot afford it (never have the cash available) have no way to pay for it without some kind of loan or financing.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote: I agree. Anyone could pick up a $100 or $200 smartphone from the selection at any store within driving range. (Unless they live far, far away from the nearest city.)

But many people do not balance their "budget" and "needs" very wisely.

I doubt that PM will have much luck selling any $300+ CPO phones. People who can afford it (already have the cash available) will likely prefer to spend it towards something better. People who cannot afford it (never have the cash available) have no way to pay for it without some kind of loan or financing.

@Korth We have seen a few posts on here from people saying they needed a new phone so they were leaving PM because they could get a new $0 phone with a traditional provider. Along the lines of buying a car. I ask" how much is it going to cost me", most people ask "what will my payments be". To each their own.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv 

Yeah, all about priorities. Too many people pay for "wants" instead of "needs".

I honestly think if you can't afford the latest-and-greatest $2000 premium flagship superphone then you shouldn't commit yourself to a long-term debt (and a higher overall pricetag) to obtain that phone. You should reassess your needs with what you can obtain or you should reassess how you plan to obtain your wants.

But old-fashioned values, lol, it reeks of stodgy cheapness and "anti-consumerism" in today's brand-name age.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There's nothing in it for public to subsidize the phones? Well, it would potentially keep the customer with public at least for the length of the subsidy, or theyd have to pay more to buy out of their subsidy plan early and pay off device... In the long term keep more customers? 🤷as of now customers overall hop to wherever works best in the now. This could stop some of that hopping in public's favor ?

Highlighted
Oracle

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

There's nothing in it for public to subsidize the phones? Well, it would potentially keep the customer with public at least for the length of the subsidy, or theyd have to pay more to buy out of their subsidy plan early and pay off device... In the long term keep more customers? 🤷as of now customers overall hop to wherever works best in the now. This could stop some of that hopping in public's favor ?

To me the word subsidy means the grant or gift of money as if a subsidized phone would be sold for at a loss.  That ain't ever happening.  Carriers could play around with the numbers and artificially assign a reduced value to hardware and then bury some of the artificial cost savings in the form of higher service fee.  The overall outcome is preservation of income margins.  The Canadian telecoms are dividend aristocrats for a reason, lol.  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@will13am 

It's common accounting practice to assume mobile phones have a useful life of 3 years and are thus assets which depreciate 33.33% of their value each year until (from a business perspective) they're no longer worth anything. Hanging onto them longer usually starts adding other costs - replacement batteries, parts, repairs, incompatibility or unreliability, etc - which (from a business perspective) makes purchasing newer devices the smarter decision.

This is even faster depreciation than computer tech (in the offices or in the yucky server closet) which lose 25% of their value (as assets) each year until they're worth nothing.

Some companies need to analyze this depreciation of mobile phone values in finer detail - or refer to published summaries of cell phone depreciations - because wireless phones are somehow part of their business and represent a whole lot of money. These sorts of analyses invariably end up making the "real" value of mobile phones depreciate far more in far shorter timeframes than the simpler accounting practices.

So I'm surprised they don't do the same thing for unsold inventory. Like the example I provided above with deluded craigslist vendors thinking the tech toys they bought for $1000 a couple years ago should be resellable for prices approaching $1000 today - especially on "used" or "refurbed" items - it's just not realistic thinking when customers have the ability to compare prices and offerings with everything else on the market.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

@will13am 

It's common accounting practice to assume mobile phones have a useful life of 3 years and are thus assets which depreciate 33.33% of their value each year until (from a business perspective) they're no longer worth anything. Hanging onto them longer usually starts adding other costs - replacement batteries, parts, repairs, incompatibility or unreliability, etc - which (from a business perspective) makes purchasing newer devices the smarter decision.

This is even faster depreciation than computer tech (in the offices or in the yucky server closet) which lose 25% of their value (as assets) each year until they're worth nothing.

Some companies need to analyze this depreciation of mobile phone values in finer detail - or refer to published summaries of cell phone depreciations - because wireless phones are somehow part of their business and represent a whole lot of money. These sorts of analyses invariably end up making the "real" value of mobile phones depreciate far more in far shorter timeframes than the simpler accounting practices.

So I'm surprised they don't do the same thing for unsold inventory. Like the example I provided above with deluded craigslist vendors thinking the tech toys they bought for $1000 a couple years ago should be resellable for prices approaching $1000 today - especially on "used" or "refurbed" items - it's just not realistic thinking when customers have the ability to compare prices and offerings with everything else on the market.

Not every company has inventory. Or an abundance of inventory. It is very easy to see who uses these inventory control techniques. And I can reassure you it increases the cost of the item, but no one will admit it. 

Some online filled items can be shipped centrally. Is called QR or Quick Response and items are shipped from the source or a third party for a number of resellers, directly to the end consumer. 

Some retailers will carry inventory at preset levels and their JIT inventory will be replenished once the preset inventory level drops and triggers a new order. Just In Time inventory can be shipped to retailer or the QR Inventory holder in batches or on a one for one basis. 

So huge surpluses of unsold inventory is not to be expected. Surplus inventories of smart phones are identified and a sales marketing method will be developed to sell it off. 

Refurbished cannot always be trusted but I would expect to see a new OEM battery and a physical and diagnostic check to be done. And the one year warranty should protect you if the phone is a lemon. The only drawback is how many operating system updates will you receive? But it is STILL A USEABLE  phone and can give you good service for years to come. 

I don't understand why some here are criticizing the offer or trying to restructure it to what could have been. 

No doubt most of us here are using a second hand phone, a hand me down, or one that you paid FULL RETAIL PRICE for through your now expired contract. 

PM has developed a good one stop shop for those that can’t afford the full price of a new phone. And remember IT IS ONLY A PHONE and what ever other benefit you get out of it is a bonus. Thus the need to know what bonuses would serve you the best. 

Not everyone is going to buy a phone from PM but it sure will help them gain more customers. And sure, others will continue to have an abundance of used inventory available over the next 2 years. For me....I will have 13 phones available over the next 2 years. And others will have similar. 

In my first days of prepaid service in BC we bought 2 refurbished flip phones decades ago from Telus....issues....NONE. 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

With proper maintainance and tweaks a phone can last aLOT longer than 3 years... Same with computers. If you're phones getting slow you don't necessarily need a new one... You need a reformat first. There would be residual junk from apps tried and deleted etc

I only last year retired a Samsung Galaxy s2 equivalent. Its very possible with proper care

Need Help? Let's chat.