cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: [Pilot] Certified Pre-Owned Phones Now Available at Public

Yes I think it is a good strategy. A good used phone, warranted, and a SIM card. Perfect for a one stop start up. 

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

This could be very interesting! Currently we have to buy outright elsewhere or switch to koodo... Eliminating this need, I doubt it but do wonder if it could spark some actually real competition, resulting in better mobile and service prices all around... Hmm 🤔 I'm not in current need myself but I'll be interested to see how this goes !

Some time ago, it was rather difficult to get phones other than through carriers. That is no longer the case. I would say that within maybe the last 7 or 8 years, unlocked phones not attached to carrier services have been widely available. I don't see these pre-owned phone offerings changing things much for Public Mobile customers.

Highlighted
Oracle

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

This could be very interesting! Currently we have to buy outright elsewhere or switch to koodo... Eliminating this need, I doubt it but do wonder if it could spark some actually real competition, resulting in better mobile and service prices all around... Hmm 🤔 I'm not in current need myself but I'll be interested to see how this goes !

@Pawprints1986, you will still need to purchase the phone outright here.  There is no option to add a TAB to your plan here to subsidize the phone.  If that is what the customer needs they will still need to move up the food chain or to another provider

I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click the  in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is a great idea! I really like how Public Mobile acknowledges and considers our suggestions. I hope this brings in lots of new customers!

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It would be nice if Public Mobile considered subsidizing the phones by getting people to commit to a certain period of time by paying upfront for the required term with phone purchase.

While they can lock devices, a lot of US carriers will sell discounted prepaid phones but only unlock devices after six months.  Maybe Public Mobile can request six months paid upfront in exchange for a reduced price on the phone.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@SomeFriend wrote:

It would be nice if Public Mobile considered subsidizing the phones by getting people to commit to a certain period of time by paying upfront for the required term with phone purchase.

While they can lock devices, a lot of US carriers will sell discounted prepaid phones but only unlock devices after six months.  Maybe Public Mobile can request six months paid upfront in exchange for a reduced price on the phone.

@SomeFriend I disagree with the idea of device subsidazation.  If Public Mobile goes that route, I'm not sure that there would be any reason for Telus to continue with the brand.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Device subsidies require postpaid, and contracts, and long-term commits. None of that works on a "pay as you go" third-tier BYOD value brand like PM. (Many people do stay with PM over the long term, by choice instead of by obligation, because of the Rewards. Contracts also come with contract-breakers and the need for collections/retentions departments, just more deviation from PM's core "no frills" business model.)

And the OEMs (device makers) are often part of the deal. It's an arrangement to get more of their newest toys into the hands of more customers. Not something which would interest them (and so not as profitable for the carrier, not so much of a deal for the consumer) when it involves devices they effectively abandoned several generations and several years ago.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 

Maybe public mobile could consider having a third party financing/borrower such as paybrite who offer equal payment loan services for a small fee ( usually 4 payments/$7-$20).

Highlighted
Oracle

@SomeFriend wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  There are no free lunches.  Carriers are not charities.  What I have found over the years is it is best to shop for the phone separate from the service.  I am sure that if Public Mobile were to "subsidize these phones", the plan costs would go up accordingly.  Every year around black Friday to boxing week timeframe, there are always deals to be found.  

Highlighted
Oracle

@darlicious wrote:

@Pawprints1986 

Maybe public mobile could consider having a third party financing/borrower such as paybrite who offer equal payment loan services for a small fee ( usually 4 payments/$7-$20).

Everybody involved would want to make something out of the transaction otherwise there is nothing in it for them to be involved.  I cannot see how this would make purchases cheaper for the customer.  

Need Help? Let's chat.