cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: [Pilot] Certified Pre-Owned Phones Now Available at Public

@computergeek541 

Battery replacement is trivial for repair centers. Consumers can even replace "non-removable" batteries with DIY kits, no technical challenge if you know how to use a screwdriver and can follow step-by-step video instruction guides.

Unless the batteries are "paired" with other embedded components. Apple has been accused of implementing this "feature" into recent iPhones (which makes servicing the batteries, cameras, and other components impossible outside authorized repair sources). But they hadn't gotten around to these countermeasures when iPhone 6S was the new thing.

Battery-status software can be installed (on-phone or off-phone) to report battery age, total charge cycles, "actual" vs "new" specs for capacity and performance, etc. I use iCopyBot for this purpose.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541 

Battery replacement is trivial for repair centers. Consumers can even replace "non-removable" batteries with DIY kits, no technical challenge if you know how to use a screwdriver and can follow step-by-step video instruction guides.

Sure, but we don't know that each and every battery was replaced with a new one, only that the devices passed the diagnostic testing.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

"One-year warranty" suggests (to me) that they are expected to last a minimum of one year.

Meaning that an iPhone battery should have less than 200 (maybe 250) total charge cycles on it - and should be able to accept at least 200 more charge cycles before output capacity permanently drops below 80% (forcing the iPhone to always run "Low Power Mode").

Meaning much the same thing for other smartphone batteries. Although their counterpart "Low Power Mode" thresholds differ.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

I believe they recommend to change an iPhone battery in the 80% health range. iPhones will tell the health. But it all depends on usage....low usage you don’t need to hop on it right away. 

Apple had has always had ways to not let the user fix things or buy non oem. Look back at all the law suits when Apple IIe clones and drives were produced. And I have replaced numerous iPhone batteries and mother board transplants using a website called iFixit. Apple had tried suing them number of times to no success. 

So thanks  to @Korth    for mentioning about batteries (like home buttons) being paired to motherboard or chipped. That cripples my hobby😟. The family depends on me. Some lightning cables are chipped too...so be aware of eBay lightning cables. They should charge and sync and one or the other or both might not work. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

I am at least relieved that PM is finally coming up with some actual useful ideas, this being great.

Of course, they could try to expand the Line-Up a bit, and Prices being a bit more fairer, BUT I must applaud PM for listening on this

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Picked up a 6s with this plan. Not sure about others, but this one still has original Apple waranty coverage until sometime next May. Those waranties are one year, so this is not that old, less than 6 months. Perfect in every respect, icluding 100% Battery. So I'm good with the value of this particular offering.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hend0005 wrote:

Picked up a 6s with this plan. Not sure about others, but this one still has original Apple waranty coverage until sometime next May. Those waranties are one year, so this is not that old, less than 6 months. Perfect in every respect, icluding 100% Battery. So I'm good with the value of this particular offering.

It's great to hear that you got a really good unit. However, the device have Apple warranty (according to the Apple website) wouldn't always be an indication of the device being less than 6 months old. If that device was sold at one time as an Apple-refurbished device, the warranty period would have been adjusted. There's also no way of knowing if the any refurbishment process that took place before selling this device as Certerfied Pre-owned was authorized by Apple.  

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wow..Pm keeps gettin better n better ..doesnt it ? /s

Any logical person would find these phones for much cheaper on other stores. Sure, 1 year warranty might be good but lets face it, how many times do you really get bad phones online. I have bought atleast 4 used/refurbished phones (for me and family members) over the years and none of them had any issues.

There was a time when I was recommending PM to my friends. PM was really a great value. But now competitors are upping their game and PM doesnt seem to care too much.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@hend0005 

Glad to hear you're  happy with it.

Sounds like that unit was upgraded with a new battery or

it has been lounging NIB on a warehouse shelf  somewheres.

Since according to wiki' and implied by cnet, the initial rollout was back  2015 (although not discontinued till 2019 ?).

Do they include any  audit checklist,  so you know what actually was done previous to the time of audit by (reportedly) final technician ?

edit;

According to their support page, Apple's online battery replacement program for the 6S was closed down,  program still mentioned in the bottom section of the 6S Wiki' page  .

But they do have another support program,  regards  ". . . certain iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus devices may not power on due to a component that may fail . .",  within manufactured 2018 - '019 units. 

doug c

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife is happy to replace her failing 5c with it.

No indication of what if anything was done to it.

However, due to pristine condition, un-used corporate phone

seems to make sense. 

Need Help? Let's chat.