Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROMO: $35 2GB Plan Limited Time Offer

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Starting May 12th, 2020 our current promotion of 500MB of bonus data on the $35 plan will be available in Self-Serve, meaning it is available for existing customers. This will be available for a limited time. 

What does this mean for you? 

For a limited time, existing customers can change their rate plan to the following:

• $35 per 30 days
  • 1GB + 500MB BONUS data at 3G speeds (per 30 days)
  • 500MB BONUS data when you sign up for auto-pay (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text

Important things to know: 

• Bonus data will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed
  • Previous promotions that have been applied to the account that have been indicated as ‘non-stackable’ will be removed when you switch to this plan. To see if a promotion you currently have applied to your account is ‘non-stackable’ please check the terms of that specific promotion. 
  • If you are already on the $35 plan and would like to receive the bonus data, you will have to switch your plan in Self-Serve

How to get this offer: 

1.Log in on Self Serve

2.Go to “Plan and Add-ons”

3.Select “Change Plan”

4.Select the ready-made plan “$35 for 1.5GB + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

313 REPLIES 313

SunnyK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I tried doing all of that, but it still doesnt seem to work?

My self service account shows international texting, so I dont know why its still now working

Import_from_NS

Good to know. I'll chat with him and see. Thank you for the information.

@Import_from_NS you could always make the change on his renewal as well.

Go to change plan in self serve then click on the special offer plan and change on next renewal. That is if you want to have this plan.

Screenshot_20200516_140219_com.android.chrome.jpg

Import_from_NS

Ah, I see. I've just switched my second son to Public Mobile but still a better deal that he had (I was paying for) before. 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Import_from_NS 

Yeah, @Dunkman is right. It is only for new customers / activations from Quebec 

@Import_from_NS 

@Import_from_NS wrote:

What is the Quebec deal?

Same deal with extra $5 per month discount.  I think only for new customers though.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/plans

Import_from_NS

What is the Quebec deal?

@SunnyK 

@SunnyK wrote:

I signed up for the offer but ever since I changed my plan to it, I can't text anyone or recieve texts. 

Anytime I try to, I get a text from public mobile saying Sorry, your current plan does not include text messaging. To update your plan to include texting and for info about your account visit selfserve.publicmobile.ca.

Is anyone having the same problem?

@SunnyK 

Does your self service account show the new plan?  

Maybe try rebooting your phone.  Network reset.  Toggle airplane mode on, then off. 

@cnmcclain 

@cnmcclain wrote:

The new 2GB $35 plan says that previous non-stackable promotions will be removed when switching to this new plan. Wondering if the following are non-stackable? 

Data & Add-Ons
$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 1GB Add-on
$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 400min INTL Long Distance (incl CA & US)
1GB at 3G Speed
1GB Promo

Those add ons will be transferred to your new plan. Usually recommend changing plans at next renewal though.  PM does not prorate plans.

cnmcclain
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The new 2GB $35 plan says that previous non-stackable promotions will be removed when switching to this new plan. Wondering if the following are non-stackable? 

Data & Add-Ons
$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 1GB Add-on
$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 400min INTL Long Distance (incl CA & US)
1GB at 3G Speed
1GB Promo

SunnyK

I signed up for the offer but ever since I changed my plan to it, I can't text anyone or recieve texts. 

Anytime I try to, I get a text from public mobile saying Sorry, your current plan does not include text messaging. To update your plan to include texting and for info about your account visit selfserve.publicmobile.ca.

Is anyone having the same problem?

@Brandinium wrote:

@computergeek541 my previous/current plan was 3G as well, and when you break it down it’s the same amount of data (6gb/90-days = 2gb/30-days) and now I can call nation-wide instead of only Ontario. I agree that I like having the time to think about it but this $35 plan seems to be the better deal. 

I guess most of us guessed wrong about an LTE-speed plan.  You really didn't have anything to to lose then. There is an argument that a 90 day plan allows the customer more options when it comes to ussage patterns, such as being able to bank unused data towards the end of the 90 days and then have extra to use if it wasn't used earlier. That is true but it can always work the other way around where a customer uses much of the data early on in the 90 days.

Brandinium

@computergeek541 my previous/current plan was 3G as well, and when you break it down it’s the same amount of data (6gb/90-days = 2gb/30-days) and now I can call nation-wide instead of only Ontario. I agree that I like having the time to think about it but this $35 plan seems to be the better deal. 

@darlicious wrote:

@Brandinium  Too bad you dont have a quebec phone # you would save an extra $5. Curiously is Hull no longer Hull and now called Gatineau?

Are existing customers in Quebec gettting the $5 off?  I know that new customers signing up from Quebec get it, but I haven't seen what it says inside self serve for existing customers.

@Brandinium wrote:

I just switched to this plan as I was on the previous 3 +3gb/90 day plan which had same data but only province wide calling for ~$40/month ($120/90 days). This plan will be much better to budget for and it’s $5/month less than I was paying before. 

Thanks Public Mobile!

Was your 90-day plan a full speed LTE plan? If the change hasn't already gone though and is future-date to happen at your next renewal time, there is still time to think about this change. If it was an LTE plan that you had, the faster speed is worth something, but you would know best if it's worth the extra cost. At the very least, you're getting less data, but you're also paying less. 

Brandinium

@darlicious so Hull is a tiny part of Gatineau, I remember calling it Hull as a kid but now everyone calls it Gatineau.

And yes, I saw that re: $30 for Québec residents which kinda sucks... But not worth changing my number. 

@faja66 

Capping LTE to 3Mb speed doesn't save the provider anything... It just saves the customers who are willing to pay more for the higher speeds. It is one of the trade offs for lower priced plans at PM. If PM just opened it up to full speed a whole load of existing Telus customers would switch to PM causing a significant reduction in revenue to Telus. We’ve all run into many people who couldn’t imagine the outrage of having to live with “3G like speeds” yet most of us here either see no difference (in what we use Mobile data for) or the difference isn’t worth the increased cost of other providers. The full Speed LTE customers are paying the cost of network upgrades while we are just tagging onto existing infrastructure adding a little more “Free Cash” to Telus’ bottom line.

AE_Collector

BearFBI

@faja66 3G can vary. it can be like 2mbps to 15, So public uses 4G but its capped at 3Mbps, So it dosent exceed higher speeds than that. In the end it is more stable and usable as it has the strength and reliability of the LTE network. If public mobile only offered 3G i would leave because 3G sucks. Thats why the plans are 4G LTE capped at 3Mbps. You can switch to 3G if you want and sometimes its faster but it has loads of latency. In the end i never notice a difference. I can watch youtube no problem at 1080P. Public only uses the 3G network for calls. And call quality is fine.

faja66

Ok so it's throttled back to make the plan cheaper? Ok I guess that makes sense. 

faja66

So what speed is 3G then? And why would the LTE speed be capped?

@faja66yea existing customers can change to this by going to change plan then asding it to their plan. It is 4G LTE throttled to 3mb, you get 2G of data.

Screenshot_20200516_140227.jpg

BearFBI

@faja66 

1. its for existing and new customers. If your in Quebec you get it for 30$ instead of 35$

2. Its all 3G speeds (4G LTE capped at 3Mbps)

faja66

A few questions...1) this is for existing customers only? 2) is the 1.5 gigs LTE data or is it all 3G?

@Naepalm 

When I lived in Ottawa....Hull was the city and Gatineau was the country.

@darlicious Hull is like the business district in Gatineau. Not sure how to compare it, maybe like Westdale in Hamilton, its part of Hamilton but goes by a different name when you enter that district. Wow district, almost like the hunger games...lol

@jfa  All current plans include international SMS/MMS

@Brandinium  Too bad you dont have a quebec phone # you would save an extra $5. Curiously is Hull no longer Hull and now called Gatineau?

jfa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does the 'international texting' feature include picture messaging like the $25 plan does?

Brandinium

@darlicious That is a very good point! My only “complaint” of my old plan was only being able to call province-wide. I live in Ottawa so many of my friends are in Gatineau (Quebec) so getting the same data with nation-wide calling for $5 cheaper is great 🙂

Brandinium

@Naepalm 

my old plan was also 3G so literally no downgrade of any kind and I save $5/month. 🙂 

@Brandinium 

That also gives you lots of time to change your mind if your circumstances change....you can stay on your grandfathered plan. You could decide to really save money and switch down to the $25 or $15 plan and add a couple of data add ons at $15 each just in case. Or maybe You will suddenly need more data and for the same price as you pay now you'll get 5gb of plan data on the $40 plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.