cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our first kiosks are now open! Check them out.

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

It’s official! Our first Public Mobile kiosks have launched today. We’re excited about the unique design of our new kiosks and we think you will be too. If you have a location near you, we encourage you to check them out and bring some of your friends too!

Keeping in line with our no frills approach, our kiosks take up a lot less space than others. We’ve also included a bike as a part of our kiosks because we like to keep things flexible and make sure that we’re parked next to all the action.  Our bike will also allow you to charge your phone (while getting a bit of a leg workout) and will continuously evolve to keep things fun and engaging.

kiosk.png

What will we be selling at our kiosks?

• SIM cards- With no strings attached. You can activate the SIM card online or in-store with the assistance of one of our store reps. The choice is yours.
  • Payment vouchers- Payment vouchers provide you with the flexibility to add money to your Public Mobile account  using cash, credit or debit cards. After a payment has been made, you’ll receive a 12-digit numeric code on your receipt, which you’ll then need to input on the Payment page in Self-Serve.

Where are your kiosks and when exactly are they opening?

Opening Date

Galeries D’Anjou (Montreal, Quebec)

April 16, 2019

Edmonton City Centre (Edmonton, Alberta)

Marlborough Mall (Calgary, Alberta)

Richmond Centre (Richmond, British Columbia)

April 18, 2019

There are more kiosks opening in the coming months as well, so be sure to stay tuned for more updates! Learn more by reading our FAQs below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Why have you changed your strategy?

Our strategy has changed to reflect the growing prepaid market and needs of Canadians where transactions predominantly happen in retail. That said, our  mission has and will always remain the same: to do wireless differently and give Canadians more control on their wireless, through more choice and flexibility while making no compromises on the things that matter most:  value and good network experience.

Will store representatives at kiosks provide customer support?

While our store representatives will assist customers activating on Public Mobile, we will continue to offer all of our customer support online.

Why don’t you have any kiosks in more cities?

We hear you! We’d love to have kiosks in more cities and provinces, and we’re working on it. Keep your eyes peeled for more updates in the Community.

110 REPLIES 110

Nattiefrog78
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been with PM for over ten years now  and they definitely have the best plans.. welcome to PM!

Grace2019
Spoiler
Great.  Will the staff at Richmond center, Richmond, BC speak Mandarin?  

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Denis3 wrote:
Hello
I am a public mobile customer since 2012 , my plan was 45 $ for 30 days for 1 GB,etc ... - till May 7 , 2019 . Lately I changed my plan on public mobile internet site for another : 40 $ for 4.5 GB data , etc.. , on May 7 , 2019 it should come into force, I have proof for that. Today at about 1 pm I noticed that I don't have internet and I can't call , so I called *611 and I entered my account on public mobile internet siteb, for some reason it appeared that my plan expired today and there is no any mention about plan change. 
So I need your immediate assistance to get everything fixed today , I don't have internet or phone at home, so it is necessary for me to have it fixed today .Please  fix the issue immediately.

I think this post may be in the wrong place if you're expecting prompt attention.  Send it directly to a moderator via PM.

jimbobs

@simpson wrote:

Are there any kiosks in Toronto?

Not yet.  Read some of the earlier posts about that.

Denis3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hello
I am a public mobile customer since 2012 , my plan was 45 $ for 30 days for 1 GB,etc ... - till May 7 , 2019 . Lately I changed my plan on public mobile internet site for another : 40 $ for 4.5 GB data , etc.. , on May 7 , 2019 it should come into force, I have proof for that. Today at about 1 pm I noticed that I don't have internet and I can't call , so I called *611 and I entered my account on public mobile internet siteb, for some reason it appeared that my plan expired today and there is no any mention about plan change. 
So I need your immediate assistance to get everything fixed today , I don't have internet or phone at home, so it is necessary for me to have it fixed today .Please  fix the issue immediately.

simpson

Are there any kiosks in Toronto?

Dunkgirl

@ML213 wrote:

Are there going to be any opening in Hamilton, On ? Alot of the other retail Kiosks charge extra for purchasing a sim card, and when I try to buy one online using paypal, it says the current store is having a problem processing paypal so I have to use another payment method. That is the only payment method I have.

@ML213  Paypal is not accepted to pay your monthly bill, if you plan on buying a sim with paypal, you best figure out a different method of payment for the future otherwise that sim won't be able to be activated if you only have paypal, unless you use paypal to a 3rd party service to buy vouchers.

ML213

Are there going to be any opening in Hamilton, On ? Alot of the other retail Kiosks charge extra for purchasing a sim card, and when I try to buy one online using paypal, it says the current store is having a problem processing paypal so I have to use another payment method. That is the only payment method I have.

KharmaScribbles

There are a lot of WalMart locations in Canada, it is my understanding most if not all sell PM Sim cards... I doubt PM would be able to launch a kiosk in EVERY single town where there is a Walmart selling them and still keep costs low... As far as I know, Walmart is the only store that sells PM Sim cards, at least where I live, my one Walmart is the only place.

Now, the only reason I would prefer to buy my SIM from the store as opposed to online is strictly to save time, no waiting for one to arrive in the mail. Armed with the knowledge that I don't have to activate in store also will help me fend off any Walmart goonies who try to convince me and put on sales pressure.  I prefer to shop online, but for my SIM card I'm going to Walmart and coming home to sit down and figure out which plan I want (today actually LOL)

Don't get me wrong, I'd skip Walmart and head to a kiosk if I had the choice, in a heartbeat!  I just think it will be a while before little Grande Prairie Alberta sees a PM kiosk though, and I'm thankful there is a place I can quickly run in to grab a SIM.

I love the bike idea though. 

You know what would be cool? A bike that provided 3G data when you ride. HA.

Edit:  No, this shouldn't harm online at all.  Simplii financial used to be PC Financial, who had kiosks in all the Superstores but they didn't act like bank tellers, only customer service mostly for account sign-ups.. Everything banking related still had to be done online..

Then Simplii took over, and killed the kiosks and now even registration is done online but they do at least have customer support agents available through phone or email.. Not that that matters, I call them maybe once a year..

This community approach to support seems to work fine and I love the idea, wish more places would implement it because it is a great way to keep costs low not having to pay the wages of support agents and overhead of a call center.

Bailey12

Looks great! I hope you continue to open more up. I would love to see one in New Brunswick. 

@softech wrote:

so, going back to retail model (with physical kiosks/store)?

i thought you are cutting all the phsyical means to save money

I have some mixed feelings about this.  I'd actually rather Public have zero retail presence so that customers can get the lowest possible price.  The argument on the other side could be that the company has take steps to get new customers.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

so, going back to retail model (with physical kiosks/store)?

i thought you are cutting all the phsyical means to save money

@AE_Collector wrote:

@LawfulEvil wrote:

I saw them at the Richmond Center location! Free SIM card Easter special.

The kiosk set up looked cute.

I wonder if the free SIM is a PM Easter Weekend special or a Kiosk Special? I have a friend who finally wants to make the move to PM and the $40 plan before it is history. I told him to wait a day or two just in case there was an Easter Flash Sale but I don’t see any new customer deals at all. He will likely get activated at London Drugs today using my referral number so he should get the $10 credit at least.    Terry

London Drugs is also offering free SIM with in-store activation... your friend should still be able to use your number as referral.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AE_Collector wrote:

For anyone who has seen the Kiosk... do any of those bicycle wheels turn? Amber the pedalscturn the generator they appear to be connected to and the chain and sprockets doesn’t move? I have two 1+ year old grandsons and anything mechanical gets their attention instantly. Their fingers would be in there so fast! Even the front wheel would be getting spun by hand and anything stuck in the spokes like a little hand could result in a big problem. Just curious about these possible problems. Terry

Here is a photo of the new PM kiosk posted at RFD.  It is a standard bicycle on stand.  Front wheel is not paddle powered.  I think it still turns by hand.  The back wheel turns.  But only 2/3 is exposed.  Be careful with your grandson.

There are 3 phones on display.  The kiosk may be selling phone too.  This makes sense to generate more income to pay for part of the kiosk operation.

650x760_smart_fit

cprnicus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hmm. Pros - I would rather deal with a kiosk that knows what PM is than the WallyWorld alternative I buy my vouchers at presently. Cons: No kiosk within 300km. Will it change prices to existing plans?Man Indifferent

@jimbobs wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

For anyone who has seen the Kiosk... do any of those bicycle wheels turn? Amber the pedalscturn the generator they appear to be connected to and the chain and sprockets doesn’t move? I have two 1+ year old grandsons and anything mechanical gets their attention instantly. Their fingers would be in there so fast! Even the front wheel would be getting spun by hand and anything stuck in the spokes like a little hand could result in a big problem. Just curious about these possible problems. Terry

Amber = assume? And, yes, safety first - even though I don't believe in nanny states 🙂

Yes... assume! (Darned ipad)

And yes, basic safety is good for business and everyone else in a civilized World! 

Terry

jimbobs

@AE_Collector wrote:

Amber = assume? And, yes, safety first - even though I don't believe in nanny states 🙂

acmethod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Also, I pedalled my heart out for 5 mins and my phone's battery level went down by one percent Smiley LOL

Lol Awesome. I’m dying here imagining this. You must have been so deflated when you saw the battery go down! Hahahahaha 

@LawfulEvil wrote:

I wonder if the free SIM is a PM Easter Weekend special or a Kiosk Special? I have a friend who finally wants to make the move to PM and the $40 plan before it is history. I told him to wait a day or two just in case there was an Easter Flash Sale but I don’t see any new customer deals at all. He will likely get activated at London Drugs today using my referral number so he should get the $10 credit at least.    Terry

@RobertQc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Knockali wrote:

Can’t wait to see these nomadic kiosks in GTA where it really matters 😀

Hey! Them's fightin' words! 🙂

@AnonymousStatistics are not fightin' words 😉

GTA population 5.928 million (2016)

Montreal population 1.705 million (2016)

Calgary population 1.239 million (2016)

Edmonton population 932,550 (2016)

Richmond BC population 198,310 (2016)

Even if you don't want to consider the true "GTA", and only want to consider Toronto, Toronto has a population of 2.732 million (2016). It would make the most sense to put it in the most populated area.

I am with you on this one @Knockali 

Well, not that it matters but... you wouldn’t compare GTA population with Richmond BC population. You would compare GTA population with Greater Vancouver population - 2.463 million.

TheGx

@slash407 wrote:

looks liek the kiosks are staffed. That sux, was hoping for a self serve experience, true to form with PM

hope they make there way east sooner than later

Yeah, an unstaffed kiosk operating like a vending machine would have been totally awesome, and would be a truly unique kioks idea true to Public Mobile form as @slash407 already said.

Am I the only one that doesn't like to exercise to charge my phone? I can't be the only one subcribed to Public not ashamed to admit I don't want to exercise.

LawfulEvil

Al_Ice
  • Love the bicycle charging station idea!! 

@canadiantech wrote:

Kiosks open the day after I order one online after issues at the Marlborough Wal-mart. I am not even sure if they sent it yet, Thursday and I don't know where my SIM is. I wanted to get the $40 plan, but no sim to activate... Great... now I will have to take an iferior plan, or buy another SIM. sigh

Unfortuantely, you need to activate service before the end up day (EDT) on Monday to secure the current version of the $40 plan.  To do that, you would need at least the digits on the sim card to activate it. If you know a friend who is able to locate one from a store that is willing to sell without activation, you could go that route, and the friend could give you the sim card at a later time as long as you activated it before the deadline.  Else, you could activate in-store if it's convenient for you.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@canadiantech wrote:

Kiosks open the day after I order one online after issues at the Marlborough Wal-mart. I am not even sure if they sent it yet, Thursday and I don't know where my SIM is. I wanted to get the $40 plan, but no sim to activate... Great... now I will have to take an iferior plan, or buy another SIM. sigh

@canadiantech  I've sent you a private message.  Please check your inbox.

canadiantech

Gazagirl22

I'm gonna go see of anyone is there to help me with my issue

Poogzley

@Alan_K It would be wonderful if Apple was able to issue SIM cards for new iPhone purchases. Smiley Happy

Poogzley

Are there any in-store exclusive plans or offers?

Are the prices of the SIM cards the same?

Need Help? Let's chat.