cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Number transfer in Self-Serve impacted by ongoing maintenance

So, with the pandemic, just wondered in case something goes wrong, how long is it taking mods to look into porting issues? 

Just debating if I should port myself, but then I worry about doing something wrong and not being able to keep my number... 

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Pawprints1986 port your number on activation for every disaster heard about here, there are probably over 9 successful ones.  Moderator time is a little behind because of the ongoing crises. Officially they have between 24 to 48 hours to respond.

Article on accoun activation and porting https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

Highlighted

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

So, with the pandemic, just wondered in case something goes wrong, how long is it taking mods to look into porting issues? 

Just debating if I should port myself, but then I worry about doing something wrong and not being able to keep my number... 

Here is the recommendation:

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless

I  would also clear the cache in my browser and open a browser in incognito.

Highlighted

So, if I do port on activation and something does go wrong, a moderator can then still go in and fix it, allowing me to keep my number ? That's my biggest worry, is that worst case, can I still keep my number in the end even if something goes wrong...?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986  The only risk you have to lose your number would be not having an active account to port it from...so just don't cancel your current service. Once you port out your phone number to public mobile it automatically closes your account with your former provider. Sometimes your port gets stuck for some reason....usually by entering an account number with a mistake or the wrong name on the account etc...thats why you would need a moderator to fix it or you call the porting department to fix it. I've ported 7 numbers over for myself or friends and I've never had a issue. From telus, freedom, fido and virgin and they all completed in 5 minutes or less.

Highlighted

@darlicious So if I'm understanding you right, worst case would be I would start the activating and porting process, something doesn't line up right, in which case contact moderators, and as long as I keep koodo active they can 100% finish the port with my own proper number, because it's still active?

Sorry to sound a bit like a broken record to some. I've just never done this before and an probably way more nervous than I need to be... I'll probably end up going "well heck that was easy! " lol 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Yes they can fix it

And if it is originally Telus/Koodo number you are not very likely to lose it 

Highlighted

Does this still apply to this day ?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI  You still cant port in from your account....only upon activation or afterwards with moderator assistance.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Well, when you have it sorted, let me know. In the meantime I'll remain with my previous provider as I don't have two lifetimes to **bleep** around with this obtuse system.