cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transfer in Self-Serve impacted by ongoing maintenance

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused and delay in delivering this message.

As a result of ongoing back-end maintenance, the function to port a number to your Public Mobile SIM within My Account  is temporarily unavailable. Porting a number during the activation process is unaffected, and no other self-serve functionality is impacted.

We recommend to take the following steps if you need to port-in a number:

• Be sure to note the best practices below to ensure a smooth process:

1. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number.
    2. You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
    3. Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
    4. Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

Alternate Phone Number

Complete billing address

First and Last Name of the account holder

Alternate phone number

You’ll also need to provide one of the following: your old account number or your ESN/IMEI/MEID number or your account PIN

First and last name of the account holder

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

We thank you for your patience while we work through the Self-Serve maintenance.

Thank you,

-Public Mobile Community Team

252 REPLIES 252

Anonymous
Not applicable

@imager 

I have read the odd report here that there are a handful of area code/exchanges that just can't be ported. I don't know why. Probably what darlicious wrote about. Dunno. But there it is.

imager
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The number should not matter. My number is from another province and I was able to have it ported with the assistance of a Moderator. You should contact one for assistance.

@LorrainB  Is your account still active that you want to port your number from? Call your previous provider and find out why its not available. Occasionally a number will not be available when you move from one place to another but it sounds like there's a different issue for your number not being available to port....its not originally a prepaid koodo or pc mobility number...is it?

LorrainB

Well I can say this...If my post was read properly...I had everything filled out because the submit turned Green...but when I clicked it ,it would not go...that was my problem,,all the areas had a green check, the only move left was to submit !!  It was not that I did not know how to fill it out.

I have come to the conclusion that I can not choose a new number that was in my area...I could not port my local number over.. had to choose one from a neighboring city 187 klm away.  If anyone has ported a local number over the lives in a smaller community I would appreciate a message that it worked for you .  My local number ...807-221-****  it told my was not available.

@Irv wrote:

From my recent experience (Today), I didn't have any trouble to transfer my phone number during the SIM card activation. I followed the recommended instructions and my phone number was transfered within 30min. Thank you for the instructions and the community tips as well

Good to hear that at least some people can follow the advice to a successful conclusion! 👍

(I was wondering about what to put on the alternate phone number). 

That's meant for inputting the number of a spouse, or other family member, or maybe close friend, so in case PM HAS TO contact you via the phone(while your phone might not be working), they can.

Irv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

From my recent experience (Today), I didn't have any trouble to transfer my phone number during the SIM card activation. I followed the recommended instructions and my phone number was transfered within 30min. Thank you for the instructions and the community tips as well (I was wondering about what to put on the alternate phone number). 

@LorrainB  I can't figure Simon out either....try clearing your browser and use secret/incognito mode in Firefox, chrome or safari. Try again or send a private message to the moderators. Tag them in the send bar. Put port number in the subject line and include your email, current account ph #, name and address on your pm account. Then give your number to be ported, that provider and account number and name on that account. Keep an eye on your private message box for a message from the moderators.

LorrainB

I have done all the questions on the chat to port number..submit is green for go but it will not submit..any ideas ??

Thanks

@imager wrote:

I feel for you. I do not know. My number has still not been ported as I'm also waiting for a Moderator to contact me via e-mail.

Uhm..... just in case you're unaware, that contact would generally be via private message on these forums, i.e. if you have a reply, the little envelope icon, near the top, right side of your screen would have a number in it, corresponding to the number of messages waiting for you. If, however, you already knew that, and/or a Moderator has said they'll contact you via email, disregard everything I just said. 😉 

imager

I feel for you. I do not know. My number has still not been ported as I'm also waiting for a Moderator to contact me via e-mail.

Good luck!

Any updates as to restoration time?

@amme09 wrote:

I am having issues porting my ph# from bell 

it's says error submitting the ticket 

pls let me know what can be done

Please send a private message to the moderators by clicking on the following link: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/22437

@amme09  When submitting a ticket via simon to contact the moderators?

@amme09  is this a new account sign up or are you trying to port from within your self service account ? Thanks

amme09
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having issues porting my ph# from bell 

it's says error submitting the ticket 

pls let me know what can be done

Dav222

@Pawprints1986 Glad it’s working out for you. 

@darlicious  Thanks for the tip on the review link. I will definitely submit one.

@Pawprints1986  Wow that's awesome....the moderators must not be very busy if they are contacting customers on the community forum. Report back when you are fully ported over. Ask your moderator for a review link when you are done....always good to be able to tell them when they do a good job...and it lets the higher ups know too.

Pawprints1986

@Dav222 great to hear it was quick! Will follow your advice upon setup as well

Editing to add: Wow Im impressed, the moderators saw that I was needing help and contacted me first with a verification link! Just got my Sim in the mail and activated it today... Still waiting on my port but must say I am impressed

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey @rajnibhutta,

We`ll help you!

Have a great day,

Oana :cathappy:

@rajnibhutta  please use the 3 dots on the top right of the post to remove your private information from the post. Thanks. Have you set up your self service account? Or is this a new activation?

If this isn't a new activation, then your Fido account must be active to port, and you require a moderator to do it. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type "Port Request " and follow the prompts to get to one.
Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen. The mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification in your email INBOX.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save 

Here's a link to  list of what is required to port your number  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

rajnibhutta

Hay this is my account no xxxxx I requested to port my no from Fido it didn’t went through and the no I want to port is this xxxxx and Fido account noxxxx is.

Thanks    

imager

Thank you, much appreciated.

Dav222

My old number was successfully ported today and it was a pretty painless process. I contacted a Mod and sent a PM with the title "Port Request". I included the following information in the PM in order to speed up the process:

I verify that the account is active and there are no fees owed.

Number to port: 226-xxx-xxxx

Name on Petro Canada Mobility Account: Xxxxx Xxxxxxx

Account #: xxxxxxxxxx

Account PIN: xxxx

IMEI of phone with Petro Canada SIM: 357xxxxxxxxxxxx

My current Public Mobile SIM Number: 891xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Previous to this I set up a Public Mobile account with a temporary number and put my Petro Canada SIM with the number I wanted to port in an old Nexus4 phone I had lying around. I PM'd the Mods around 3pm yesterday, and by this morning when I woke up, the number had been ported over to my Public Mobile phone. If I were transferring a landline, I would mention that too and also make sure you have an alternative contact number set up in your profile in case a mod needs to contact you. Hope this helps.

Starshoot

Thanks for the information.

@sarahreynoldsis try activating again, clear your browser history, go to private/ incognito mode and try again to do it. Here's an article on activating https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

sarahreynoldsis

I am having trouble selecting a new phone number at activation?OnlineActivation/PhoneNumber/LoadErrorMessage

is what is popping up and the calling area fields are all blank...help please

imager

You will not lose it unless you cancel it. Keep your old number active on it's sim card and everything will be fine.

imager

It's counter-intuitive, but yes, you choose a new number.

Pawprints1986

Only part that makes me nervous is something going wrong mid port or activation on my end and having to lose my number as a result... Can they absolutely 100% still use my number should something happen mid registration ?

@Pawprints1986  I haven't heard what the latest service times are for the moderators maybe we will get an idea before you activate. But i would put it at 48 hrs....think about porting it yourself and we can talk you thru it. It would be almost impossible to lose your phone number....your port might get stuck.....so then you would have to wait the same amount of time for a moderator. You would end up having outgoing calls and texts on your pm SIM card and incoming on your koodo SIM card. If you have two phones you can manage with a card in each phone to be able to call / text out on one and recieve on the other. But while you wait you will likely be able to call the telus porting department (same as the mods) and they can fix it in about 15 minutes depending if they have high call volumes ( probably not). I would say you have a 5% chance of problem and a 95% chance at success. So have a good think......

Need Help? Let's chat.