cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transfer in Self-Serve impacted by ongoing maintenance

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused and delay in delivering this message.

As a result of ongoing back-end maintenance, the function to port a number to your Public Mobile SIM within My Account  is temporarily unavailable. Porting a number during the activation process is unaffected, and no other self-serve functionality is impacted.

We recommend to take the following steps if you need to port-in a number:

• Be sure to note the best practices below to ensure a smooth process:

1. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number.
    2. You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
    3. Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
    4. Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

Alternate Phone Number

Complete billing address

First and Last Name of the account holder

Alternate phone number

You’ll also need to provide one of the following: your old account number or your ESN/IMEI/MEID number or your account PIN

First and last name of the account holder

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

We thank you for your patience while we work through the Self-Serve maintenance.

Thank you,

-Public Mobile Community Team

252 REPLIES 252

@Pawprints1986 it would be a new number.

Pawprints1986

@darlicious I'm going to be going with the $25 plan, with preauthorized payment. I will have the same thing I'm paying koodo for now but for $23 instead of $35 without taxes... I do enjoy saving money lol. At first though I have a feeling it will be more until I'm fully ported with covid19 going on. Will be paying for 2 services at first, I'm thinking possibly a week even ? Hopefully faster than that but not sure how busy they are. But still worth it to me to feel completely safe with keeping my number. 

PS is a temporary number called a temporary number at sign up? Or would I technically be choosing "new number" ?

@imager  No worries....im always happy to help. Welcome to public mobile.

imager
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you.

@imager  As @JoyLuck  has provided the info you require I will explain why....koodo and pm share the exact same system so you cannot port your number in because it's not going to be ported. It is going to be transferred from your koodo prepaid account to your pm prepaid account. You cant port a number out thats  using the same system. It's like your switching it from one koodo account to another koodo account.

@imager wrote:

If you read my posts, you'd see that I've never complained about customer service, there isn't any. I am complaining about a self-serve system that is not fully functional.

imager...no matter what type of system that is out there you will always have bugs due to system upgrades, etc. 

PM knows what the problem is and they will inform us when it is fixed. No system is fool proof.

imager

That is correct. I have a functioning sim with a temporary number.

imager

If you read my posts, you'd see that I've never complained about customer service, there isn't any. I am complaining about a self-serve system that is not fully functional.

@imager wrote:

My Koodo account is not post-paid, not that it matters I still cannot port my number which is the whole point. Who are the Moderators? Telus employees? Regardless, one of the attractions of PM was doing myself and now I can't while those without Koodo numbers can do it in minutes.

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

imager

My Koodo account is not post-paid, not that it matters I still cannot port my number which is the whole point. Who are the Moderators? Telus employees? Regardless, one of the attractions of PM was doing myself and now I can't while those without Koodo numbers can do it in minutes.

@Pawprints1986  They will have you verify your new account thru your community or self serve account first. Once you do that and private message them back that you have verified you can include in that message your koodo account #, phone # to be ported and your full name on your koodo account. Make sure your community email and email you activate with are the same....so you are eligible to recieve community rewards.

@Pawprints1986 look at the first post in this thread

@Pawprints1986  Excellent choice....make sure you get referred as well to get the $10 credit. Anytime you have any more questions ask away! We're always happy to help! While you are waiting for your SIM card drop by the community and learn a little more about public mobile. Check out the search bar, your settings, private messages,  the tool bar, the help sections how to guide on activations....have you decided on your plan?

Pawprints1986

Just thinking to ask this though, what info will the moderators need to do the switch? Just thinking if I can include that in my first message to them I can help them and myself speed up the process a bit? 

Pawprints1986

Honestly the saving money here is just a bonus perk, I prefer doing anything I can myself without having to wait on hold calling one of the bigger companies

I think I'm going to choose the temporary number option when I activate and then have a moderator port just so I can be 100% sure I won't lose my number but after that anything I can take care of on my end is just a bonus, especially with normally having to keep weird hours so most of my awake time the call centers are closed anyway

Just to the person complaining about customer service here, just my 2 cents 🤷‍

@imager  So the issue you are having is having to contact the moderators to port your phone number from your koodo postpaid account after you have already activated your pm account with a temporary number?

imager

I would have thought that the title of this series was self-explanatory. If I had an issue other than the ability to port my Koodo number and utilize my account I would have posted it elsewhere. 

I suspect that unless you have a connection to Mother Telus nothing will improve until Telus devotes more resources to the problem. This situation has been in existence for weeks which I think is untenable for those who require their Koodo number for business purposes.

@imager wrote:

Don't fill the airways with things I already know. If you're going to reply stick to the issue - a system that is not fully functioning. Thx

What part of this system isn't working for you ? You're currently posting to a Community Forum, made up of seasoned Public Mobile users who are glad to offer suggestions to any questions you have. The system is working for most customers...you don't hear from them as they're happy with the service.

If you don't like PM, you have choices elsewhere. PM will be here when you want to return. You shouldn't fault anyone who's trying to help you understand your options. You posted your comments first...someone just offered their insight. Take what info you need and leave the rest.

imager

Don't fill the airways with things I already know. If you're going to reply stick to the issue - a system that is not fully functioning. Thx

@imager wrote:

That has nothing to do with it. Prior to managing my account I require a logical functioning system.

@imager  That's absolutely fine but don't assume because you pay more the system functions any better....for the same $25 plan public mobile offers you pay $45 at koodo. The same great coverage on the telus network and exactly the same system. You just pay about $25 (incl tax) more so a koodo employee manages any account issues for you instead of doing most of that yourself at public mobile. It's all about choice....and the choice is yours to make! I choose to have a $0 account and help out other members on the community instead.

It all depends on making do with what you have and and choosing what to do with it. I can make eggs Benedict on a campfire and you probably choose to go to Sunday brunch. You probably have to work much harder and longer for the same meal than I do. It's just where you decide to put your effort.

imager

That has nothing to do with it. Prior to managing my account I require a logical functioning system.

@imager  Did you have a question?  Many people prefer to pay a higher plan cost at another provider because they prefer to pay for an employee to manage their account for them. People who choose public mobile prefer to keep most of their money in their wallets and do most of their account management themselves. It's similar to dining out or cooking at home. It just depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to do yourself.

imager

Well, when you have it sorted, let me know. In the meantime I'll remain with my previous provider as I don't have two lifetimes to **bleep** around with this obtuse system.

@BearFBI  You still cant port in from your account....only upon activation or afterwards with moderator assistance.

BearFBI

Does this still apply to this day ?

Yes they can fix it

And if it is originally Telus/Koodo number you are not very likely to lose it 

Pawprints1986

@darlicious So if I'm understanding you right, worst case would be I would start the activating and porting process, something doesn't line up right, in which case contact moderators, and as long as I keep koodo active they can 100% finish the port with my own proper number, because it's still active?

Sorry to sound a bit like a broken record to some. I've just never done this before and an probably way more nervous than I need to be... I'll probably end up going "well heck that was easy! " lol 

@Pawprints1986  The only risk you have to lose your number would be not having an active account to port it from...so just don't cancel your current service. Once you port out your phone number to public mobile it automatically closes your account with your former provider. Sometimes your port gets stuck for some reason....usually by entering an account number with a mistake or the wrong name on the account etc...thats why you would need a moderator to fix it or you call the porting department to fix it. I've ported 7 numbers over for myself or friends and I've never had a issue. From telus, freedom, fido and virgin and they all completed in 5 minutes or less.

Pawprints1986

So, if I do port on activation and something does go wrong, a moderator can then still go in and fix it, allowing me to keep my number ? That's my biggest worry, is that worst case, can I still keep my number in the end even if something goes wrong...?

Need Help? Let's chat.