cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Province-Wide Calling Plans + Limited-Time Offer on Canada-Wide Calling Plans

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited: Feb 16, 3:45PM EST]

Hey Community, 

Public Mobile is introducing some changes to our suite of rate plans. Effective February 16, 2021, we will offer two types of plans: plans that include Province-wide minutes, and plans that include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The Canada-wide calling plans will be priced at an additional $5/month, compared to the Province-wide calling plans.  All of our plans will continue to offer Canada-wide data and unlimited international texting.

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you.  If you don't value Canada-wide calling, you can still access our plans starting at $15 per month.  If you value Canada-wide calling, it will continue to be available for an additional $5 per month. 

See below for more details on our new plans: 

New province-wide calling plans: 

Province-Wide Calling

Monthly Rate

Province-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$15

100 Minutes

250MB

$25

Unlimited

1GB*

$35

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$40

Unlimited

5GB*

$45

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$50

Unlimited

8.5GB

For more information on how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article.

Concurrent with this launch, we are offering $5 off all Canada-wide rate plans for a limited time. 

Canada-wide calling plans:

*Current promotion: $5 off Canada-wide plans for a limited time

Canada-wide Calling

Monthly Rate

(*Promotion price)

Canada-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$30 $25*

Unlimited

1GB*

$40 $35*

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$45 $40*

Unlimited

5GB*

$50 $45*

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$55 $50*

Unlimited + U.S. Talk

8.5GB

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

What is happening to the $15 plan?

All plans in the Canada-wide suite have unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The $15 limited talk plan will remain in the Province-wide suite and will have 100 Province-wide minutes with 250MB of AutoPay data bonus.

Can I buy an add-on with Canada-wide calling?

Yes, we currently have a $5 for 500 Canada-wide minutes add-on available which you can purchase in Self-Serve.

How does Province-wide Calling work?

For more information on province-wideon how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

641 REPLIES 641

@gpixel wrote:

$23 is very cheap and if she's going to be calling her mother a lot(which is more than likely) she will be better off with the $25 Canada wide unlimited plan

Yes it would be if you lived on your own and did NOT have a land line. I agree. 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@susanjm wrote:

Thanks everyone. I've purchased the $5 500 minutes add-on and I'm going to see how it goes. We talk often but not for long as I see her fairly frequently. But I AM cheap and it's really annoying LOL. 

As a fyi, all outgoing calls are rounded up to the nearest minute. (Eg. A 10 second call is rounded up to 1 minute) Checking your voicemail with your phone will also count as outgoing minutes.

@susanjm 

A few more posts and a few more bravos as you learn about pm's service and you will probably earn a $1 community reward. That covers your extra $1 for 100 outgoing out of province minutes.

susanjm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks everyone. I've purchased the $5 500 minutes add-on and I'm going to see how it goes. We talk often but not for long as I see her fairly frequently. But I AM cheap and it's really annoying LOL. 

$23 is very cheap and if she's going to be calling her mother a lot(which is more than likely) she will be better off with the $25 Canada wide unlimited plan

@AE_Collector 

Yes I know what the $15 plan does new and old. I can barely use my 100 minutes but you never know what's needed in your future.  So is always good to be prepared. And your rationale is much better than @Nezgar   

And perhaps @susanjm needs to look at how many minutes she uses per month and does take a look at one of the unlimited outgoing plans that are on sale (grandfathered) that would cover her needs. She can always change it back if needed.  But if cost is an issue then it makes more of a match to pay $13 or less a month on the OLD plan if possible as she will be 100 LD minutes ahead. The beauty about the add-ons is that they only expire when used up. 

@LurganIeUk 

Are you remembering that the $15 plan ONLY comes with 100 minutes of outgoing calling? I brought this up a few pages back as well. There is no point in anyone lamenting the loss of the $15 Canada Wide calling plan if they do lots of calling out of their province and feeling the comparison is the $25 or $30 plan to get Out of Province calling. IF they were doing that much out of province calling the 100 minutes in the old $15 plan was gone quickly anyway. Then they needed the $5/500 minute add-on OR unless it were worth while t o go to the next plan up to get unlimited calling.

The net loss is $1/30 days as that is all the replacement 100 minutes of Canada Calling will cost. ANd as mentioned, that extra $1 bumps the plan to 200 minutes of calling, 100 provincial and 100 Canada wide. If someone does that much calling that this is a concern, I have a a hard time believing that some of that calling isn't Provincial.

I know $1 is $1 but really, putting the push on to get 1 referral and that $1 covers this extra expense.

AE_Collector

@Nezgar wrote:

For $14/mo you can have 100 mins province wide and 100 mins canada wide on the new province wide plan.

On the old $15 plan yes its more flexible as that same $14 would equal 200 canada wide without the division...

When a daughter has a 89 year old mother, nearly blind and am guessing  lives on her own, I can reassure you that there will be a lot of calls...likely daily...for a number of very good reasons...

You need to know the needs of an elderly person to have some one to trust and to do things...shopping, banking, POA duties, etc etc

Your basis of rationale is poor as you are assuming that @susanjm  only needs 100 minutes Canada Wide per month. 

Since her main concern is calling her mother. Perhaps she should call her mother using Fongo or FaceTime audio or video. And that her mother calls her at her PM number. 

But still the old $15 plan has better value. Only if PM had free calls PM to PM. 

For $14/mo you can have 100 mins province wide and 100 mins canada wide on the new province wide plan.

But yes indeed, On the old $15 plan was more flexible as that same $14 would equal 200 canada wide without the division...

@Nezgar wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

A 500 min canada wide addon is $5. (1c/min)

$15 plan includes 100 mins.

100x1¢=$1.00

For 100 mins of out of province calls on the province wide plan $15 plan you need to spend $1.00 per 30 days. A $5 addon would last 5x30 day periods.

If you made more than 100 mins of calls with either version of the $15 plan you would have needed the $5 500min addon anyway.

Wow....doesn’t make any sense to me at all. I think that rationale would create a lot of laughter in the board room. What is the point of wasting the 100 provincial minutes? 

Would suggest you review @susanjm recent post. 

No matter what @susanjm would have to pay likely $13 a month for old or new $15 plan. And has little use for the provincial minutes. So if she can pick up an old $15 plan then the $5 500 minute add on would last much longer. It is a tough go for people on low or fixed income. Or perhaps she is not wasteful in her financial strategies.   I would suggest that @susanjm contacts @darlicious  for some money savings tips. Perhaps by PM. 

@LurganIeUk 

A 500 min canada wide addon is $5. (1c/min)

$15 plan includes 100 mins.

100x1¢=$1.00

For 100 mins of out of province calls on the province wide plan $15 plan you need to spend $1.00 per 30 days. A $5 addon would last 5x30 day periods.

If you made more than 100 mins of calls with either version of the $15 plan you would have needed the $5 500min addon anyway.

@Nezgar wrote:

100 minutes is equivalent to.... $1

Not worth the effort on a $15 plan

Please do explain your rationale. 

100 minutes is equivalent to.... $1

Not worth the effort on a $15 plan

@susanjm wrote:

I'm very sad that I didn't switch over to Public before this change happened - the 100 Canada-wide minutes plan ($15)  would have been perfect for me. I live in Ontario but only 30 minutes from the Québec border; my mother (widowed, 89-years-old, almost blind) lives 30 minutes away on the other side. My province-wide minutes are barely going to be touched but I'll need to re-up my $5 for 500 Canadian minutes more often than I would have had to. 😞

Just maybe someone could give you their old $15 plan. It is possible. The question is....how could you get the word out, of your interest.  

susanjm

I'm very sad that I didn't switch over to Public before this change happened - the 100 Canada-wide minutes plan ($15)  would have been perfect for me. I live in Ontario but only 30 minutes from the Québec border; my mother (widowed, 89-years-old, almost blind) lives 30 minutes away on the other side. My province-wide minutes are barely going to be touched but I'll need to re-up my $5 for 500 Canadian minutes more often than I would have had to. 😞

Michael6
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Oooops

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LurganIeUk wow that news link you shared about the fees is just awful! That should have went no further than them explaining the lockdown, and Rogers if felt necessary confirm lockdown with the main building or hell even look up the current outbreaks on their public health site and confirm the address. That's crazy! I'm glad in the end it was reversed but it should have never needed to go that far...

Not to even mention, Rogers collected CEWS while already profiting and plenty able to pay employees. (As did telus and bell). Just another example of the rich getting richer. Equipment fees like that are just yet another money grab 🙄

@cynthialing 

That free month offer has come along.....

@bluejaywpg wrote:

This is ridiculous. To present this implying this is somehow a positive thing just because it's offering more choice (for the same price with reduced service) when the price has gone up for the same service (once this so-called "sale" ends, which never really was a true sale price to begin with) is a slap in the face. If the March 16 reductions to voice service in Manitoba force me to choose a new provider just to be able to use phone service from my own home, I will say goodbye to Telus. Though so far I'm happy to say that it's working well enough for me.

I can assure everyone that very similar feedback was given to Public Mobile in a recent conference call to them. I agree with you that is not a "sale" and while I am not a laywer, I believe that Telus could get into trouble with this if someone where to file a complaint with the Competition Bureau.  It's not a "sale" when those prices have never been previously charged for those products (plans) in the past 6 months (which they haven't). I can also say that Public Mobile knows that the Community isn't happy with how this was handled. Rather than saying that it was advance notice of plan changes (which customers still would not have been happy with but would have at least appreciated), this was announced as something good for the customers when it isn't.

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is ridiculous. To present this implying this is somehow a positive thing just because it's offering more choice (for the same price with reduced service) when the price has gone up for the same service (once this so-called "sale" ends, which never really was a true sale price to begin with) is a slap in the face. If the March 16 reductions to voice service in Manitoba force me to choose a new provider just to be able to use phone service from my own home, I will say goodbye to Telus. Though so far I'm happy to say that it's working well enough for me.

Once again, prices go up even though Canadians pay some of the very highest prices in the world for substandard service such as lower data rates!

Cell companies in Canada are to me as trustable as conservative politicians. Sprinkle a few little goodies here & there, but when something bad is about to happen, don't tell us straight up what is happening. Instead, repackage it & tell us how great it is when really there is nothing great about it at all!!!

cynthialing

Thank you, I’ll watch for the free month offer so I can refer a few more friends 🙂

@Korth wrote:

On the plus side, after less than 20 years, Wind/Freedom/Shaw will finally be able to extend their service beyond those few little core urban "zones"!

I've never been a fan of the Freedom Mobile network but I would have to say that it's no longer only urban zones since the introduction of both VoLTE (which Public Mobile will not have in the forseeable future) and because of the implementation of 700MHz-range spectrum.

@Korth wrote:

Ironic that over the years Wind rejected several buyout offers from Verizon (and offers by some of the largest European/Russian/Asian operators) which were all better than this rumoured Rogers deal. Imagine how different the landscape would be for Canadian consumers today if one of these offers pushed through.

Yes, no matter how many new licenses CRTC gives out, somehow the Big3 has the magic to get them back into their own pocket.

This is the Canadian way of "competition"

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

With announcement today of rogers intent to purchase shaw communications which includes freedom mobile the choice for their mobile provders as well as their home internet and tv provider just shrank again. The CTRC has made Putin proud today!

On the plus side, after less than 20 years, Wind/Freedom/Shaw will finally be able to extend their service beyond those few little core urban "zones"!

Ironic that over the years Wind rejected several buyout offers from Verizon (and offers by some of the largest European/Russian/Asian operators) which were all better than this rumoured Rogers deal. Imagine how different the landscape would be for Canadian consumers today if one of these offers pushed through.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

so.......expect more of this...https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-return-equipment-covid-bell-fees-1.5944348

I can't believe it. Canada needs more competition and we go for less!!! Is it time for Canada to to say NO or allow foreign mobile companies into Canada. 

If this goes through.....it will be bad for internet and TV fees and charges all around. 

I am assuming the final decision has not happened or been approved of. No doubt this would not be in place if they had not had some kind of negotiation with the CTRC and the Competition Bureau. hmmmm let me see.....who do the Liberals represent BIG BUSINESS or those that voted??

Spoiler
 It's a no brainer.      B I G     B U S I N E S S🤑

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

yeah i remember---it would be a good text only plan, but only good for whatsapp etc

@LurganIeUk 

With announcement today of rogers intent to purchase shaw communications which includes freedom mobile the choice for their mobile provders as well as their home internet and tv provider just shrank again. The CTRC has made Putin proud today!

so.......expect more of this...https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-return-equipment-covid-bell-fees-1.5944348

I can't believe it. Canada needs more competition and we go for less!!! Is it time for Canada to to say NO or allow foreign mobile companies into Canada. 

If this goes through.....it will be bad for internet and TV fees and charges all around. 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth  and now freedom mobile is dead it seems 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5949825

$15 Canada-wide Limited-Talk isn't an option for new customers anymore.

$15 Province-wide Limited-Talk is an option for all customers.

$30 Canada-wide Unlimited-Talk is an option for all customers. Only $25 for a limited time.

$25 Province-wide Limited-Talk is an option for all customers.

All this screwy math with per-minute price breakdowns isn't necessary.

Take the cheapest plan you can get and buy $5 Canada-wide Talk add-ons as needed ... or buy the cheapest Unlimited-Talk plan which fits your needs ... or signup with Freedom Mobile instead.

The options for new customers aren't as good as they were before. But for a "Limited time" they're not as bad as people say. If anything, the impending price increases should motivate new customers/referrals to join PM sooner rather than later, grab the plans they want before they're gone. Not worth arguing forever over pennies when making a decision will save dollars.

Need Help? Let's chat.