cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Province-Wide Calling Plans + Limited-Time Offer on Canada-Wide Calling Plans

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited: Feb 16, 3:45PM EST]

Hey Community, 

Public Mobile is introducing some changes to our suite of rate plans. Effective February 16, 2021, we will offer two types of plans: plans that include Province-wide minutes, and plans that include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The Canada-wide calling plans will be priced at an additional $5/month, compared to the Province-wide calling plans.  All of our plans will continue to offer Canada-wide data and unlimited international texting.

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you.  If you don't value Canada-wide calling, you can still access our plans starting at $15 per month.  If you value Canada-wide calling, it will continue to be available for an additional $5 per month. 

See below for more details on our new plans: 

New province-wide calling plans: 

Province-Wide Calling

Monthly Rate

Province-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$15

100 Minutes

250MB

$25

Unlimited

1GB*

$35

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$40

Unlimited

5GB*

$45

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$50

Unlimited

8.5GB

For more information on how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article.

Concurrent with this launch, we are offering $5 off all Canada-wide rate plans for a limited time. 

Canada-wide calling plans:

*Current promotion: $5 off Canada-wide plans for a limited time

Canada-wide Calling

Monthly Rate

(*Promotion price)

Canada-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$30 $25*

Unlimited

1GB*

$40 $35*

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$45 $40*

Unlimited

5GB*

$50 $45*

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$55 $50*

Unlimited + U.S. Talk

8.5GB

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

What is happening to the $15 plan?

All plans in the Canada-wide suite have unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The $15 limited talk plan will remain in the Province-wide suite and will have 100 Province-wide minutes with 250MB of AutoPay data bonus.

Can I buy an add-on with Canada-wide calling?

Yes, we currently have a $5 for 500 Canada-wide minutes add-on available which you can purchase in Self-Serve.

How does Province-wide Calling work?

For more information on province-wideon how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

641 REPLIES 641

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can’t believe so many people are getting this bent out of shape over a $5 per 30 days price increase. That works out to less than 17 cents per day. Not to mention the $5 increase only apples to new customers or anyone who changed their plan after Feb 16th. I have only been with Public Mobile about a year and a half and in that time they have given out so many freebies of air time and data I have a boat load of each sitting in my account. Not to mention autopay discount, loyalty discount or referral discount. I NEVER received anything free all the years I was with TELUS or any type of discount not to mention the TELUS plan was four times the cost. People need to realize that companies need to increase rates to pay for things like employees wage increases and benefits for employees and things like upgrades to their infrastructure. I say if you think it is that big of a rip off then exercise your right to do business elsewhere and leave plain and simple. 

@treefrog wrote:

@dabr 

Well I just found out there's no getting the $15 Canada wide calling plan back even if it was the system I cancelled my scheduled plan change. I've been offered a $5/500 minutes add-on as compensation so I guess I'll take what I can get I'm still not that happy about it. But hey what are you going to do?

@treefrog   Sorry to hear that and yeah that's disappointing, especially as you say you didn't cancel the scheduled change.  That 500 mins add-on is not much compensation...but yeah not much you can do! 

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dabr 

Well I just found out there's no getting the $15 Canada wide calling plan back even if it was the system I cancelled my scheduled plan change. I've been offered a $5/500 minutes add-on as compensation so I guess I'll take what I can get I'm still not that happy about it. But hey what are you going to do?

@jesseps wrote:

So the prices are increasing by $5 in the near future?

If you are referring to PM....no....but the $5 off sale will be over and you will see you will have to pay $5 more to get Canada Wide "if" you are a new customer. But if you can deal with provincial wide you wont have to pay $5 more. BUT if you had a plan before FEB 16 and are happy with it...sit tight...all is ok...your plan won't change....you don't need to change....your plan is grandfathered. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jesseps wrote:

Yes. For new customers or plan changes. But current accounts will keep what they have.

jesseps
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lucky now has provincial 100 minutes $15. It'll come.

@computergeek541 wrote:

If everyone else does it, new customers won't have a choice, so this won't affect the number of new sign ups, or at the very least will encourage customers to stay wherever they already are. 

Yes, it's a matter if Telus successfully started the trend to remove Canada Wide Calling.  With not much competition in the industry,  maybe yes, everyone will follow.  Afterall, who doesn't want to make more money

I have to agree that it's a step going backward.  Seeing most plans everywhere included Canada Wide, I am surprise this will get taken away..  Wonder what else would be next 🤔

@frankieshi wrote:

So disappoint to see Public Mobile going backward;  hope it will come back  when PM seeing less and less new customers...

If everyone else does it, new customers won't have a choice, so this won't affect the number of new sign ups, or at the very least will encourage customers to stay wherever they already are. 

frankieshi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So disappoint to see Public Mobile going backward;  hope it will come back  when PM seeing less and less new customers...

@445935293 wrote:

joke, non of my friends are interested in joining public mobile.

OK. This doesn't contribute much to the discussion.

Bell and Rogers are promoting the plan $56 for15 gb 5g speed data, with peace of mind. 

$56 plus fees, 911 fee, and open for surprise overages. Peace of mind but empties your wallet faster.

Luky mobile have plan $25 with 1GB full speed 3g and unlimited 128kb speed data.

Public Mobile has full speed 3G too. And many people have commented on this forum previously that 128kbit data is not really usable. Public mobile that plan is $23 with autopay, and will become $18 with the full loyalty reward.

Interesting none of your points against the new plans are actually regarding the change in calling features.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

joke, non of my friend is intereting join public mobile.

bell and rogers are promoting the plan $56 for 15 gb 5g speed data, with peace of mind. 

lucy mobile have plan $25 with 1gb full speed 3g and unlimited 128kb speed data.

homelifegolcond

joke

@59 wrote:

The wording in this message is very confusing.

You need to pay 5 dollars for canada wide unlimited.

If I want to keep my plan, I need to get a new plan at 5 dollars less.

If you were on a plan before Feb 16 2021 your plan was grandfathered. If you want to change your plan while they are on sale for the $5 off you would only want to upgrade. And the on sale plan should also be grandfathered as long as it does say that it is not. Any one that is happy with the old $15 plan would be a fool to make a change to the new one. 

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@59 wrote:

Hi @59 your present plan is grandfathered, which means you keep your present plan as is until you change plan.  When that happens, you cannot to back to your old plan.

I hope this helps

RosieR

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@59 wrote:

If you are currently on a Canada Wide calling plan and you are happy with it do nothing. It is grandfathered. 

@Haniehrs1989 wrote:

Hello

I am confused.

I have a 1G plan 25$ Canada-wide since Dec 2020.

It means that I should pay 30$ now and I should renew my contract? Because in my account is written it expires my plan! Will the previous customers change the rate plans with auto payment?

If you are currently on the $25 Canada wide calling plan do nothing. It will be grandfathered.

Haniehrs1989

Hello

I am confused.

I have a 1G plan 25$ Canada-wide since Dec 2020.

It means that I should pay 30$ now and I should renew my contract? Because in my account is written it expires my plan! Will the previous customers change the rate plans with auto payment?

I think the promo will run for 30 days from Feb 16 2021. It appears to be a form of a 30 notice to existing customers of a change, more so for any existing customer that was planning a change at the end of their cycle. For existing customers, not a big deal as their plan was grandfathered. Plus it’s a push for any potential new customers for any plan other than the $15 plan. So maybe get serious by March 10 or so?

@courtneyf  When PM runs a "Promo" without an announced end date, it ends whenever; sometimes a few weeks, sometimes months.

The end point usually appears ONLY as an edit in red to the original announcement.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@courtneyf wrote:

I have the current $25 plan that is turning into a $30 canada wide plan. Do I need to switch my plan over in order to keep my $25 price? Also when is the sale up as I have someone who wants to join?

If you are currently on the $25 Canada Wide calling plan it will be grandfathered. You do not have to do anything.

@courtneyf wrote:

I have the current $25 plan that is turning into a $30 canada wide plan. Do I need to switch my plan over in order to keep my $25 price? Also when is the sale up as I have someone who wants to join?

No, leave it as is, your old plan was grandfathered. 

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

courtneyf

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@Nezgar people's whole point is them excluding something that was included. It's a big step backwards. People also make good points about living near the provinces border and the next provinces tower actually being closer despite not living there technically. It's a money grab for new customers, or even current ones if they need to change plans again for whatever reason down the road. Maybe it's pennies to you, but all those pennies from $5 add-ons that people didn't used to have to buy will definitely add up on PM side of things. 

It won't effect me, at least yet, but I still agree it's a bad business move overall especially from a 3rd tier. In normal times people have shown interest in wanting to see international roaming add-ons become a thing (without having to rely on Wi-Fi being good quality like with TextNow)... Now, a different province will be "roaming". 

Like I said it is a Nutella marketing strategy. Nutella has announced a  smaller jar for the same price. No one can say prices are going up left, right and centre. I think we are going to see more of this. Same price less value, more costly. But we won’t notice😀😀😀

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nezgar people's whole point is them excluding something that was included. It's a big step backwards. People also make good points about living near the provinces border and the next provinces tower actually being closer despite not living there technically. It's a money grab for new customers, or even current ones if they need to change plans again for whatever reason down the road. Maybe it's pennies to you, but all those pennies from $5 add-ons that people didn't used to have to buy will definitely add up on PM side of things. 

It won't effect me, at least yet, but I still agree it's a bad business move overall especially from a 3rd tier. In normal times people have shown interest in wanting to see international roaming add-ons become a thing (without having to rely on Wi-Fi being good quality like with TextNow)... Now, a different province will be "roaming". 

atmx093
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Another issue I have with this new fee structure again had to do with border cities. I often connect to Ontario towers because it happens to be closer, but I'm physically in Quebec. Again, not me but new clients who don't pay the extra $5 would be charged long distance for calling in Quebec. While they're in Quebec, but connected to a tower in Ontario. RIDICULOUS.

XionBunny

@Anonymous wrote:

@XionBunny wrote:

some here sure love to tow the corporate line.

Where would they tow it to? And they'll need to check their towing capacity. How heavy is that line anyway so I can check?🤣

I corrected the typo, my bad.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@XionBunny wrote:

some here sure love to tow the corporate line.

Where would they tow it to? And they'll need to check their towing capacity. How heavy is that line anyway so I can check?🤣

XionBunny

some here sure love to toe the corporate line.

Need Help? Let's chat.