cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Province-Wide Calling Plans + Limited-Time Offer on Canada-Wide Calling Plans

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited: Feb 16, 3:45PM EST]

Hey Community, 

Public Mobile is introducing some changes to our suite of rate plans. Effective February 16, 2021, we will offer two types of plans: plans that include Province-wide minutes, and plans that include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The Canada-wide calling plans will be priced at an additional $5/month, compared to the Province-wide calling plans.  All of our plans will continue to offer Canada-wide data and unlimited international texting.

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you.  If you don't value Canada-wide calling, you can still access our plans starting at $15 per month.  If you value Canada-wide calling, it will continue to be available for an additional $5 per month. 

See below for more details on our new plans: 

New province-wide calling plans: 

Province-Wide Calling

Monthly Rate

Province-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$15

100 Minutes

250MB

$25

Unlimited

1GB*

$35

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$40

Unlimited

5GB*

$45

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$50

Unlimited

8.5GB

For more information on how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article.

Concurrent with this launch, we are offering $5 off all Canada-wide rate plans for a limited time. 

Canada-wide calling plans:

*Current promotion: $5 off Canada-wide plans for a limited time

Canada-wide Calling

Monthly Rate

(*Promotion price)

Canada-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$30 $25*

Unlimited

1GB*

$40 $35*

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$45 $40*

Unlimited

5GB*

$50 $45*

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$55 $50*

Unlimited + U.S. Talk

8.5GB

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

What is happening to the $15 plan?

All plans in the Canada-wide suite have unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The $15 limited talk plan will remain in the Province-wide suite and will have 100 Province-wide minutes with 250MB of AutoPay data bonus.

Can I buy an add-on with Canada-wide calling?

Yes, we currently have a $5 for 500 Canada-wide minutes add-on available which you can purchase in Self-Serve.

How does Province-wide Calling work?

For more information on province-wideon how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

640 REPLIES 640

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

In a perfect world mint mobile usa would buy the public mobile brand and make it a true champion. I can dream.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@XionBunny wrote:

I would quote you @LurganIeUk but this forum software is horrible to figure out on a mobile device, yes I was referring to public mobile probably being gone in a few years, since they will be irrelevant, and it's pretty obvious Telus doesn't care about the brand anymore since it costs them too much money, thus the price gouging again.

@XionBunny    Yeah, apparently the Quote function is only available on desktop for now and PM has been promising to get that fixed for a while now, or I should say for a long while!

It works and an iPad. 

Good to know...I had heard a few users mentioning that sometimes it works if their device is on landscape mode too.

@dabr wrote:

@XionBunny wrote:

I would quote you @LurganIeUk but this forum software is horrible to figure out on a mobile device, yes I was referring to public mobile probably being gone in a few years, since they will be irrelevant, and it's pretty obvious Telus doesn't care about the brand anymore since it costs them too much money, thus the price gouging again.

@XionBunny    Yeah, apparently the Quote function is only available on desktop for now and PM has been promising to get that fixed for a while now, or I should say for a long while!

It works and an iPad. 

@XionBunny wrote:

@dabr sigh typical.. I hold no hope on that fix.

@XionBunny   Lol....I think most of us have kinda given up on PM getting around to having that fixed...  😊

XionBunny

@dabr sigh typical.. I hold no hope on that fix.

@XionBunny wrote:

@jace829 wrote:

What about incoming calls from people outside your province? I looked at the link and it only talks about outgoing calls to other provinces. Can anyone clarify?

@jace829   Incoming calls will be fine no matter where you are.  You'll need the Canada wide mins when you leave your province and need to make outgoing calls outside of that province.  These changes apply to the new provincial calling only plans and do not affect you if you have been a customer before the 16th Feb/2020 and you're already on a Canada wide calling plan then that plan will be grandfathered in for you.

XionBunny

@jace829 wrote:

What about incoming calls from people outside your province? I looked at the link and it only talks about outgoing calls to other provinces. Can anyone clarify?

@jace829 You will continue to receive unlimited calls from these people.

jace829
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@XionBunny wrote:

Well this is awful, typical Telus screwing us all over, I bet this company will be gone in a few years as well, we need better competition in this country, I'm sick of being screwed over by shady tactics one way or another.

If you are referring to Public Mobile....I don't think so. 

XionBunny

Well this is awful, typical Telus screwing us all over, I bet this company will be gone in a few years as well, we need better competition in this country, I'm sick of being screwed over by shady tactics one way or another.

zmh1175

Time to swich to zoomer wirless guys. free phone better plans with 100+ credit.

Jedi180
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's a really bad time for a rate increase. People are struggling.

only1utd

yes that would be to easy

drsiha

I am expecting more features such as eSIM or Call Control while the rate is kinda increasing.

CalvinW

One step forward, two steps back. Good job PM.

normf

I wondered when the texts started coming to switch to Koodo if Public’s days were numbered.

BearFBI

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@BearFBI wrote:

@BearFBI anything can change at any time at any provider. 

Im talking about the reward system. And if PM does close in the near future all those rewards are a waste.

@BearFBI wrote:

@gpixel wrote:

maybe the merchant that said pm was closing in a few years is also correct...

*Koodo prepaid plans are now updated with province wide plans

Mabey the merchant is right. At this point ive lost all faith in PM and it wont even surprise me if they close. PM has so many issues and they dont even bother to fix them. I can name at least 50 issues of the top of my head. Now that there increasing the price it just feels like a ripoff. 

If your new I wouldn't even BOTHER with PM. LOOK ELSEWHERE, PM IS NOT GREAT ANYMORE. Rewards take a while to buildup, its not worth your time because anything can change or happen. 

@BearFBI anything can change at any time at any provider. 

For everyone, if you find a plan that suits you better and it is with a different provider to and get it.  You need to do what is BEST for YOU, that is probably why you came to PM in the first place.  If this is no longer the best value for you then find what is.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

BearFBI

@gpixel wrote:

Mabey the merchant is right. At this point ive lost all faith in PM and it wont even surprise me if they close. PM has so many issues and they dont even bother to fix them. I can name at least 50 issues of the top of my head. Now that there increasing the price it just feels like a ripoff. 

If your new I wouldn't even BOTHER with PM. LOOK ELSEWHERE, PM IS NOT GREAT ANYMORE. Rewards take a while to buildup, its not worth your time because anything can change or happen. 

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So they also brought this "Province-wide calling" to Koodo prepaid? I really don't see why this is a thing.
Meanwhile they're about to downgrade these services even more in Manitoba. Still waiting on VoLTE. 

@gpixel wrote:

@gpixel well my friend, you might not be far off.  Me thinks that Telus is getting rid of Public Mobile because it is costing too much money to fix all the glitches than just getting rid of the third tier.  Perhaps.  I will miss the Public Mobile community tho' 😪

Another example of how bad the plans at Public Mobile have become:

The competition at Bell (PC Mobile brand) is offering a $30 Canada-wide calling plan, text and MMS messaging, and 1GB of fast data for $30. I didn't have to look hard to find that, nor is this anywhere near one of the better plans available elsewhere, but it's still better than Public Mobile's $30 plan will be after the $5 price increase because of better data speeds at PC Mobile. 

jqian6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You want to grab money, just say it. I understand that because everyone does.

Don't ***** patronize me by saying "providing more options". You guys think we are ****** who cannot do some basic accounting/arithmatics?

**!

"edited by Moderator to remove content that violates Terms of Service"

Spudster

Why in the world would anyone Bravo the initial announcement on this thread?

There's nothing Bravo-worthy about this announcement, regardless of how it's spun. (no offense WHATSOEVER to the author)

C'mon folks --- retract those Bravo's to show disapproval of the announcement.

Candie82

Thanks for advising us of the change. 
I suspect that this actually won’t pan out well.  Most plans all have Canada-wide calling. New customers are going to be very discouraged over these new plans. 

Greggex

One of the things that I liked about Public was that they did not perpetuate the fiction of "long-distance" calls. Sadly, that is no longer the case. I really wish you had used a more honest way to raise prices. If everyone's rates had gone up a dollar, that would have been understandable. Now I have to wonder how much of the five dollars is paying for changes to systems to distinguish and bill out-of-province calls.

@Michael6 wrote:

At this point, why not bring back the build your own plan with 90 day options?

It's getting complicated instead of simpler. 

These plan changes aren't about giving the customer more options. They're about increasing the price or giving customers less for the same price as now. I see it as bringing the Public Mobile plans more in line with Koodo prepaid price plans.  Plans being almost identical at the $30 and $45 price points to this very likely being ordered to be done by Telus.

Need Help? Let's chat.