cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Province-Wide Calling Plans + Limited-Time Offer on Canada-Wide Calling Plans

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited: Feb 16, 3:45PM EST]

Hey Community, 

Public Mobile is introducing some changes to our suite of rate plans. Effective February 16, 2021, we will offer two types of plans: plans that include Province-wide minutes, and plans that include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The Canada-wide calling plans will be priced at an additional $5/month, compared to the Province-wide calling plans.  All of our plans will continue to offer Canada-wide data and unlimited international texting.

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you.  If you don't value Canada-wide calling, you can still access our plans starting at $15 per month.  If you value Canada-wide calling, it will continue to be available for an additional $5 per month. 

See below for more details on our new plans: 

New province-wide calling plans: 

Province-Wide Calling

Monthly Rate

Province-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$15

100 Minutes

250MB

$25

Unlimited

1GB*

$35

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$40

Unlimited

5GB*

$45

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$50

Unlimited

8.5GB

For more information on how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article.

Concurrent with this launch, we are offering $5 off all Canada-wide rate plans for a limited time. 

Canada-wide calling plans:

*Current promotion: $5 off Canada-wide plans for a limited time

Canada-wide Calling

Monthly Rate

(*Promotion price)

Canada-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$30 $25*

Unlimited

1GB*

$40 $35*

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$45 $40*

Unlimited

5GB*

$50 $45*

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$55 $50*

Unlimited + U.S. Talk

8.5GB

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

What is happening to the $15 plan?

All plans in the Canada-wide suite have unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The $15 limited talk plan will remain in the Province-wide suite and will have 100 Province-wide minutes with 250MB of AutoPay data bonus.

Can I buy an add-on with Canada-wide calling?

Yes, we currently have a $5 for 500 Canada-wide minutes add-on available which you can purchase in Self-Serve.

How does Province-wide Calling work?

For more information on province-wideon how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

641 REPLIES 641

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What terrible move. You wont be seeing any new activations from me as its almost impossible to convince anyone to join now because of these terrible changes. Public Mobile is heading in the wrong direction. 

Its a joke how province wide plans are the same price as the old Canada wide talk plans. At least discount the province wide plans. 

@Catherine_T You also mentioned NOTHING about existing users and whether or not our plans will be grandfathered. Makes me worried as our plan prices may be subject to increase in the future...... Mabey thats why it wasn't mentioned. 

@bilibili wrote:

RIP to $15 canada-wide plan.

Exactly it looks like the end of any one wanting to buy the $15 plan. Anything province wide plan needs a clear explanation of how to use if you are out of province. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kselmak  my bad I was responding to someone thought it was your post but it does not appear to be.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well...we often read here people squawking about how PM does not lead with any changes. So here they are. Unless of course in the monthly collusion meetings amongst the carriers it was decided that PM would take the hit for this round of changes.

dlambro: Chatr does have a $15 plan. As does Lucky.

@sa7375 wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Catherine_T 

Very disheartening, however it's clear this may be a case of 'don't shoot the messenger'. (the "messenger", being you)

Three words to Public Mobile (TELUS)  -   THIS IS HORRIBLE

There will be several questions about this 'change'.   It has (will) cause Public Mobile to lose at least 2 people I've been trying to move over to Public Mobile onto a $25 - $35 plan which was to have INCLUDED Canada-wide calling.  They will have ZERO interest in this change.

I especially found the following phrase to be a load of ________ (fill in the blank):  "The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you."  

Very disappointed.

The new customers you are motivating to sign-in can still sign-in at the old rates. In fact, you can pursue them to act fast before this option disappears. Please see the excerpt below from @Catherine_T post of today.
"That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change." 

So....show me how to get the old $15 plan today please. 

bilibili
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

delete

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Catherine_T 

Very disheartening, however it's clear this may be a case of 'don't shoot the messenger'. (the "messenger", being you)

There will be several questions about this 'change'.   It has (will) cause Public Mobile to lose at least 2 people I've been trying to move over to Public Mobile onto a $25 - $35 plan which was to have INCLUDED Canada-wide calling.  They will have ZERO interest in this change.

I especially found the following phrase to be a load of ________ (fill in the blank):  "The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you."  

Very disappointed.

The new customers you are motivating to sign-in can still sign-in at the old rates. In fact, you can pursue them to act fast before this option disappears. Please see the excerpt below from @Catherine_T post of today.
"That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change." 

@mimmo 

I got that this is why I said hold of to your old plans.

It does affect the plan charges but instead of early announcement fort those who are planning to switch, they gave discount so we can still schedule the switch (unless somebody was planning Canada wide 15 plan)

I guess we should also revived people who scheduled their change yesterday or before they will be switching to the old plans on the next renewal date.

Those who are waiting to finish with their device obligation to switch should consider locking into discounted plan with the temporary number

@Gunner123 wrote:

@Catherine_T five dollar off sale? what a joke!!

Changes will happen, get over it! The temporary ”on sale” opportunity will allow you to reposition your self...that is if grandfathering is announced. That is a huge MISS in this announcement. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The discussion of a day ago turns out to be true.  This is definitely a turn for the worse.  It is unfortunate.  How long is the "price reduction" for the Canada wide calling plans?  I feel like I am shopping at the Bay; increase the price on the weekdays to set up for a big sale on the weekend.  

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Catherine_T here we go again poor roll out, disinformation, contradictions who writes this stuff lol

mimmo

@Just a clarification existing accounts  keep their current plans untill

• they decide to manuslly change their plan to a current in market plan
  • They are giving notification of their plan getting price change 30 days notice is rewuired

There has been no notification thus all existing customers keep their current plan price and features untill they decide to manuslly change it .

Edit tagged wrong person

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Ok i was not aware of the network wide price increase 

Actually Publicmobile did a great job of giving the option of the same price and only decreasing the call-out range. And for limited time no plan except 15 is affected.

@Catherine_T taking a minute to think about it, you and your team actually did great. It's never easy to announce price increase (except for bell, they treat it as gravity) and you really try to make it the least painful. Thanks

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Catherine_T, thank you for making a proper announcement with the changes coming to the plans. Will any customers who are on existing plans need to "switch" to the new "promotional" Canada-Wide plans? The general consensus seems to be that the existing plans will be Grandfathered, however, do any existing customers that are happy with their existing plans need to take any action? Below is a screenshot of the self-help.

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

mitchnet12_0-1613490117089.png

@kaytus 

Unless grandfathering plans have changed your plan stays exactly the same as long as you don't change it. As should anyone who scheduled a plan change by 11:59:59 pm et on February 15th 2021. The only issue I see are those attempting a change between midnight and about 2 - 3am pt this morning before the pm plans page changed to show the new plans but encountered only the new plans in self serve...more specifically the "old" $15 Canada wide calling plan.

According to the terms and conditions the pm plans page takes precedence and takes effect 30 days hence once posted. Customers accept these changes once posted. That approximate 2 hour window causes a problem for pm.

Edit: Getting my time/zones messed up...about a 6 hour window between midnight eastern and 5 - 6am eastern.

@LEGO 

Your plan will stay the same

It only affects new accounts

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

This is definitely downgrade.

Hold on to your old plans folks.

I thought we would set now affordable talk and text only plan for folks with flip phones.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I run away from Koodo $5 increase, but it followed me here! 😢

UUUGH totally disappointed. While I do appreciate the heads-up it is very disheartening to see PM get further and further away from the PM I joined. It was something I could proudly promote and encourage people to join. It was innovative and different and save people a lot of money. Now it just tows the company line. So what good is any of the services to those in the affected areas of Manitoba? Is VoLTE coming or is Telus just hoping that current PM customers will move up the chain to the same family rather than switching providers?

So any new customer will be paying the same amount for less service (Provincial plan) or $5 more for same service (Canada Wide Calling) well isn't that a plan for business growth.

I know you are only relaying the message and none of this is directed at you but to a customer this looks like Telus putting more pressure on the lower tier (usually customers who can't afford more $$ for service) to move up the food chain.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@HALIMACS wrote:

Totally agree!!  I also found this line a big Joke from a Fat Liar!!!

kaytus

So basically it upgrades from Canada Wide to Province Wide without any change, right?

Also, that $5 discount is it forever stays in the plan unless I change my plan again.

It is so confusing.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@JK8 wrote:

@Catherine_T 

If you are currently on the $15 plan will it be grandfathered or does it change automatically to the Provincial Plan?

Your plan stays the same. 

I'm with @JK8 on this line of inquiry.

@computergeek541 , there certainly seems to be a level of confusion EXACTLY what will happen to the 'previous' $15 plan.   Here's some questions I have that I'd welcome knowledgeable folks to respond to:

1. will those on the $15 plan as of yesterday, remain on the SAME plan with all the SAME conditions of service as of yesterday,
  2. will those on the $15 plan LOSE or GAIN anything from these announced changes (by way of data allotment or minutes in/out of Province or Nation),
  3. will those who are now on the $15 plan, who may wish to UPGRADE to one of the Limited Time Offering (LTO) plans be able to do so on their "NEXT RENEWAL" even if the date of their next renewal may be beyond the LTO date (note: date is not specified)
  4. will ANY plan changes for current customers which occur beyond the LTO date be subject to the the new pricing or will grandfathered account-holders still be given access to pricing at the LTO rate  (i.e. if they don't make the change to the plan they want during the limited time - are we basically stuck in it or face a loss of Canada-wide calling in the new pricing scheme?) 

SD08

This is presented as offering more flexibility, but basically Canada-wide calling will be getting more expensive soon. Another step backwards for PM. Since I joined, it seems that PM's offerings have gotten progressively uncompetitive with time. I find little to recommend PM to friends these days.  The accumulated rewards and a grandfathered plan are the reasons I'm staying for now.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Catherine_T 

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

@Catherine_T   Does that mean new subscriber can still have $25 including Canada Wide calling?   

How about existing customers?  how long we can have $25 including Canada wide Calling?

How long is the "Limited Time"?  until we are all clam down ?  

Disappointed!!!

@HALIMACS wrote:

Very disappointed.

@HALIMACS On the other hand you are being given the one time "opportunity" to change to a plan that better meets your needs (Provincial) without being subjected to the unfortunate price increase / super time limited sale /  unfortunate price increase. See, it's all in the marketing lol.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Catherine_T 

Very disappointed.

treefrog

@kb_mv 

I was about to ask the same question as I'm having an issue with my scheduled plan change disappearing. So I would like to know what takes precedence the main Public Mobile plans page or what's in our self serve? Because when I checked on my scheduled plan change to the $15 Canada wide calling plan the plans page for public mobile still offered it but I was unable to access it within my self serve account which goes against the terms of service. And the way I read it is that the new province-wide $15 plan comes with 500mb of data if you sign up for auto-pay.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Catherine_T   thanks for the announcement...

But please let the management aware that we are DISAPPOINTED.   

I see price drop and data limit increases during last year from  many other providers via different promotions  but PM decided to go the other way, taking away the Canada wide calling.  Canada wide calling is so common these days but PM decided to take it away so they have a chance to get an extra $5 from some of us.

Totally disappointed with PM decision 

@Catherine_T It's interesting that the new $15 provincial plan differs on the new activation page from that shown on the change plan page in self serve. One shows only 250MB data for autopay, the other a 250MB plus 250MB bonus for autopay. Which is correct?

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 10.55.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 10.56.07 AM.png

Need Help? Let's chat.