cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: New Plan: $35 for 2GB

@Korth the point is simply that we in Canada pay too much. Even PM charges more for the same data - but also at 3G speeds. I think it's very fair to compare between similar vast countries.

I hope you're right in that that day is approaching very soon.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@bluejaywpg wrote:

I hope you're right in that that day is approaching very soon.

For example, something I posted a while back ... about someone I know who moved to Canada permanently but still keeps (and has no problem using) her Singapore phone plan.

@Korth wrote:

A friend from Singapore subscribes to a carrier called "circles life". Talk and Text and 20GB 4G, prepaid $18 per month. She pays an extra $5 to extend her "Unlimited Roaming" coverage to most of Asia, Phillipines, Australia, NZ, USA, Mexico, Canada - calls and texts and data from anywhere in the coverage zone to anywhere in the coverage zone, no restrictions. And an extra $20 per month when she wants more data (100GB 4G). She got some sort of promo which saves a few bucks. She laughed (and still laughs) uncontrollably when I showed her PM's best cellphone plans.

Needless to say I didn't interest her as a referral. In fact, her carrier has a better referral system which awards more credits and discounts - and even has some kind of "referral lottery" which gives big prizes (travel, vacations, $$$-$$$$, etc) to top performers.

And - what mystified me most - the circle company's marketing strongly emphasizes their promise that customer support is always available and always guaranteed within 30 seconds. Whoosh.

So basically a foreign plan which works in Canada (and half the world) better than any Canadian plan, $43 in Singapore dollars (which are roughly the same value as Canadian dollars) to get 100GB 4G.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is the "$30 for 2GB" deal coming back? Any good xmas deals coming up?

I'm on Koodo right now but want to switch over asap depending upon a good promo deal.

Mint mobile is $30 unlimited Data...  Canada has some catching up to do!

Thanks!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Scarybear apparently Mr. Reynolds is trying to bring mint to Canada 👍

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@gpixel4 

Yes he is......when that happens how does public mobile plan on competing with a hottie and these hot plans?

Unlimited calling and texting and 5G/4GLTE data:

1. $15/3gb
  2. $20/8gb
  3. $25/12gb
  4. $30/UNLIMITED!!!!!
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious wrote:

......when that happens how does public mobile plan on competing ...

When that happens we'll see for ourselves, lol. Telus will respond. Then Koodo and Public will fall in line with Telus.

More for less is always good for the consumer. But I'm still skeptical enough to think the promises are still a whole lot of hype. Probably exaggerated, possibly vapor. Just gotta wait and see what happens.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Unlimited calling and texting and 5G/4GLTE data:

1. $15/3gb
  2. $20/8gb
  3. $25/12gb
  4. $30/UNLIMITED

if hes successful, I don't see mint being able to offer those prices in canada... it would probably be double that amount or a bit more.

textnow has an unlimited data plan on the Sprint network(rogers) for $40(throttled after 23gb)

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Korth Time to plan a trip to circle the globe to Singapore to sign up! Maybe the savings would eventually pay for the trip itself LOL. 

Highlighted
Oracle

@Korth , being able to keep a foreign plan and roaming in Canada sounds like the panacea but it is not.  Carrying an international phone number means the calling feature is pretty much useless.  If you only need text and data, you can get that at a competitive price in Canada.  The dog brand plan that I run on SIM 2 is only $5 for 4GB.  

I have a suggestion here, don't get mad, get even.  Buy Telus shares and get your money back way of dividends.  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@will13am wrote:

being able to keep a foreign plan and roaming in Canada sounds like the panacea but it is not.  Carrying an international phone number means the calling feature is pretty much useless.

How is it useless? My friend can make calls in Canada to Canada, can answer calls from anywhere in Canada. She calls people (and businesses) in BC daily, other people in ON (and in Singapore) often. They don't seem to have problems calling her. Even if they're people (and businesses) who've never called her before. I'm guessing she has to include extra digits when dialing long distance prefixes, that might have been a small issue back in the age of rotary phones but it's nothing in this age of touchscreen contacts.

Local-calling and province-wide calling are legacy throwbacks these days, everybody has access to cheap unlimited nation-wide calling in this decade. Just like, I think, everybody will have access to cheap unlimited international calling in the next decade.

Need Help? Let's chat.