Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plan: $35 for 2GB

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

Effective September 17, 2020, the following price plan is being offered. This offer is available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$35 for 2 GB at 3G speed

• 30 day plan
  • 1.5 GB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

How to get this plan: 

New Customers

Current Customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan that you want.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan that you want. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

144 REPLIES 144

@computergeek541 wrote:

@JK8 wrote:

@HeatherM 

@Anonymous  Can she contact a moderator to change to the current plan to get the 2.5 GB of data with autopay?

This would be a regular plan change. The plans that incldued 2GB and 2.5GB (with autopay) are different plans.

HeatherM, you may want to consider changing plans on the next renewal date in self service to get the extra data.

plan.jpg

@JK8 wrote:

@HeatherM 

@Anonymous  Can she contact a moderator to change to the current plan to get the 2.5 GB of data with autopay?

This would be a regular plan change. The plans that incldued 2GB and 2.5GB (with autopay) are different plans.

@HeatherM 

HeatherM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Okay, I sure am glad I asked. So I accepted a bonus 2GBs last Christmas. So that will be there for as soon as I, that's if I do, go over the 2GBs that comes with my plan. Sure am happy that I ran across the offer. 

Sure wish this information was in the jargon on the plan. Cause I think I've read everything that I can. 

Heather 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeatherM : And if you use it all before your renewal, the data just stops. There are no overages or extra costs here. You could choose to get a data add-on to act as your overage bucket of data if you like. It will stay on your account until fully consumed stepping back at each renewal.

@HeatherM wrote:

Hi, I have a question. I have not used the 2GBs that come with my plan. I activate last fall so when I'm at home I use my wifi. Once the 2GBs is used, do I just get another 2GBs? 

I not sure at all how the data works for Public. 

I sure would like to know about that.

Heather

Each cycle you will get a new 2 GB of data. If you are on the current $35 plan you will get 2.5 GB of data each cycle with autopay. Once the plan data is used up for the current cycle you will have to wait until your next renewal to receive your plan data allotment.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#plans-start

HeatherM

Hi, I have a question. I have not used the 2GBs that come with my plan. I activate last fall so when I'm at home I use my wifi. Once the 2GBs is used, do I just get another 2GBs? 

I not sure at all how the data works for Public. 

I sure would like to know about that.

Heather

PM needs to really consider resuscitating the LTE Data plans at some point

Also, eventually, at a point when it's considered safe, increase the # of Countries for Roaming

This would give PM a REAL bang for the Buck $$$$

@casaraku 

I used to be with freedom and  now that they've increased the amount of their transmitters/cell towers within the city limits of the urban areas they serve and as a customer if you rarely leave those areas then freedom just may serve your needs. I think there is no comparison to pm's (telus) nationwide network coverage and the reward incentives you can recieve. After 7 years with freedom my bill remained $40. After 1 year with public mobile my bills ($10+$30=$40 total)went to $0+$0=$0. After free rewards and free gifts allowed for a downgrade to the $15 plan because I just didn't need the extra data especially after the free gifts. So like @Jb456 says you are free to follow your wallet and mine is permanently parked with public mobile.

@casaraku you are always free to follow your pocket and what is best for your needs. If another provider has something more attractive by all means go for it. 

Freedom $35 plan that you mentioned I believe is a limited time Promotion if you port a number from Telus or Koodo not Public Mobile. I am sure there are terms and conditions as well but I can't be bothered to read them.

As for your question of 3g going away. I am not sure if the below link has any truth in it but if it does apparently Telus will start phasing it out in 2025. Which is 5 years away. And only calls are currently on 3g. Data is LTE throttled to 3 g speed.

https://www.fire-monitoring.com/2g-3g-network-shutdown/

casaraku
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Freedom latest offer (oct 14/20) is 35$ for 11GB data using faster 4G... just saying.

@casaraku then LTE w/volte will make its way over.. not too sure on what they want to Capp the data speeds at, but hopefully its faster than 3mb. maybe give consumers at least 12mb(HSPA+ speeds)

casaraku

Probably to attract newbies.....what are the suits planing when 3G dies....which i heard to be soon...?

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am lucky then that I took advantage of the $30 for 2GB promo then! I notice this $35 is now for 2.5GB but I still don't think it's worth it. It's too close to what I have and I can make do with 2GB. If it was $35 for 3GB, then I would consider it.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Scarybear wow they worked with you nicely ! I switched here cuz I was so annoyed with them. I had changed my plan from grandfathered limited minutes to unlimited and with 1gb personal add-on, but the add-on dropped after the plan change and they would *not* reinstate it, claiming because my plan had no included data (which I didn't need with keeping the 1gb) so "loyalty" after 8 years offered me 1gb unlimited talk text for 35.... They wouldn't budge so I said screw that and went here. 

What they did for you is how they *should* treat loyal customers. I've never even been offered a koodo switch back offer since coming here either

I love the easy roam possibility on koodo in the instance of emergency even without WiFi (so no TextNow or Facebook Wifi reception needed) but since I'm not traveling anytime soon, especially for now I'm good here

psweetbo

Love this but would have to agree, the $25 for 1gb is better than this deal wise, i would also agree with many here that the 2gb for $30 was a big seller, and what brought me to Public Mobile.

when I first activated the $35 plan only came with 1.5gb. I think pm has made a lot of progress imo. yes the $40 lost 500mb, but they added a new plan $45/6.5gb. it's still a much better deal than what the 2nd tier providers offer(you can't compare promos to regular plans). Koodo and others are only offering $45/1gb for byop plan. 

Savebig2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I’m on the 2 GB for $30 

5 referrals and auto pay love PM

@bluejaywpg wrote:

Did they recently add 500 MB to the $35 plan?

Too my knowledge, this wasn't added to the the $35 plan that was announced in this thread, but rather a new plan was created.  This means that anyone who wants a total of 2.5GB at this $35 price would need to perform a plan change (you'll usually want to scheduled that to happen during the next renewal). The new plan was available as of September 29.

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Did they recently add 500 MB to the $35 plan?

Savebig2

Don’t wait sign up nice ! The loyally discount will be worth the savings 

no other provider is going to pay you for each year you are with them

so start using them now 

Savebig2

Yeah well said!

PM is the best 🙂 I’ve cut my bill by over 60 percent off 

I don’t understand why ppl are still paying higher bills 

you can change plans every time . I just switched down to the $30 plan before it changed to $35. 

the $10 credit is a nice little welcome bonus 

cheers PM community 

@KingAlex wrote:

This is a decent deal tbh because 2.5GB is very serviceable to some and at a lower price point than the $40 plan.

With that said, the $40 plan is still the most bang for your buck and is the one I ended up choosing last night for that reason.

I think that most people would disagree with you about the $35 plan being decent. Unless the amount of data falls in line with what someone would use each and every 30 days, it is easily the worst plan, yet for some reason unknown to me, Public Mobile has chosen to predominatly feature it on the website.

KingAlex

This is a decent deal tbh because 2.5GB is very serviceable to some and at a lower price point than the $40 plan.

With that said, the $40 plan is still the most bang for your buck and is the one I ended up choosing last night for that reason.

@Jb456 

That's what i pretty much figured it was YMMV if you know how to negotiate...i was just commenting on the promotions on the website.....and finding them....suck. Lol!

@darlicious  Browse through RFD people are getting all kinds of deals from Koodo. Some 9 gigs for $39. I read one got 11 gigs for $34 because it's a 2nd line. (With discounts to get to that price)

What Scarybear got is not advertised. The rep he/she spoke with likely just bundled them into the range that others have been getting lately. 

@Scarybear 

Wow koodo prepaid plans suck....couldnt find yours are you post paid? Is the 5gb an add on (booster?) Were about 2 months away from black Friday which was last year's best promotion. But you can never be too sure if pm will repeat those offerings but being prepared with a sim card to jump on a deal is a good idea and sign up for every email sign up deal to keep your options open. Remember all deals end at 11:59 pm et unless otherwise stated. If pm also offers a bonus referral credit keep that in mind so your friend that has turned you onto pm will get an extra credit too when you use their referral code. Happy bargain hunting!

Scarybear

Thanks so much to everyone for the help!

I called Koodo and got my plan upgraded to $35 for Unlimited txt/calls -  5.3GB (Very specific I know. I had free 300 mb plan they were adamant on letting me keep.)

The ladies I spoke to (only 2) had no interest in playing any games with me which was fortunate. It took a little while as she was trying to make it all work with the systems drop down menus.  I'm happy with the price, the fact I don't have to switch. Telus is happy cause they are still getting my money, (and more of it now) and I did buy a public sim card the other day in case they make some big moves this holiday season. 

@Scarybear wrote:

That's what I figured - I might just wait until Christmas then. 

If there's a substantial price difference between the plan you have with another carrier and the plan you could get now on PM then waiting might cost you more overall than the money you'd save on some killer PM promo months away from now.

If costs are basically the same then it might be worthwhile to wait and watch. I'd recommend buying a PM SIM card in advance, though, because they have no shelf life or expiry before activation and their availability often seems suddenly limited when hot promos/deals are announced.

Need Help? Let's chat.