cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: New Plan: $35 for 2GB

I’m a big Public Mobile fan but with Freedom currently offering 7GB plans (1GB + 6GB bonus) for the same $35, it’s really hard to recommend this to people. Yes I know about the reception differences, I used to be with WIND/Freedom.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How is reception? I've been with Koodo for 10+ years with no problems, but their plans are garbage.  My understanding is public is the same telus network so that would be nice. But the public prices are still not good enough. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Scarybear Telus owns Koodo and Public Mobile. So pretty much same reception.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

"Pretty much same" actually means "exactly identical" in this case.

The same is also true with Bell-owned and SaskTel-owned towers. Doesn't matter which of them or which of their lesser brands you subscribe to. Or so @sheytoon and other experts (who had or still have a tech career in this field) have explained in other threads.

(I still harbour doubts about it, I still suspect that a carrier can somehow prefer or prioritize some network traffic over other network traffic. But my doubts are apparently contraindicated by the network engineering. And they're unimportant here anyhow.)

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth  I used the wording "pretty much the same" because Koodo/ Telus offer VoLTE while Public does not. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 

You are correct, I am corrected.

Although VoLTE is only available on select Telus-contract plans with premium Telus-purchased smartphones. So it's already unavailable (even on Telus itself) if you're only paying the sorts of prices which PM and the other third-tiers charge for monthly service.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Scarybear 

All depends on where you live really....and how much data do you need? If you were looking as t the $30/2gb plan?

Edit: I'm going on the assumption you were asking about freedom.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Correct - was asking about freedom. 

I really don't need much data. 2 gig seems like it should be a minimum for any plan. 

If I pick a public plan now - I can switch to a better deal if one comes up? Or are do they have good deals just for new customers? Thanks! 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

• @Scarybear wrote:

Correct - was asking about freedom. 

I really don't need much data. 2 gig seems like it should be a minimum for any plan. 

If I pick a public plan now - I can switch to a better deal if one comes up? Or are do they have good deals just for new customers? Thanks! 

Since joining PM in February, most of the deals I have seen have been for new customers.

Need Help? Let's chat.