Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plan: $35 for 2GB

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

Effective September 17, 2020, the following price plan is being offered. This offer is available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$35 for 2 GB at 3G speed

• 30 day plan
  • 1.5 GB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

How to get this plan: 

New Customers

Current Customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan that you want.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan that you want. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

144 REPLIES 144

marcmasters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Exactly when public mobile used to be the best prices against everyone. Not much anymore

@marcmasters 

Stuck on a plan for 5 years? Sounds like you got a great deal with full speed 4G data with a minimum $7 in rewards being applied to your account. You need to do more with your referrals to keep them with pm. Can i get a winback offer from telus, fido or freedom that would beat pm in terms of data amounts vs price? Absolutely. Can any provider offer me two separate accounts for free? Absolutely not! I'll put up with the little glitches and what nots....free is free.

Edit: @marcmasters  whoops sorry hit post by accident.

marcmasters

I've been stuck on a plan for 5 years. It hasn't been beaten since. New customers I attract leave within 2 weeks but better offers. This company used to stand for being the best. Get the CEO of his high horse and give the public what we are asking for. Better bang for our dollar screw the big 3 but at this rate of 5 years we are becoming worse then freedom and that's saying alot. If the customer is unsatisfied which one I am and 10 I've lost that's a few hundred your losing to bell and rogers

@darlicious wrote:

@bluejaywpg 

You erred in the way your were trying to decide on changing plans. What you should have done is schedule the plan to change on your next renewal. You can then cancel the scheduled plan change at any time before renewal if you decide not to go thru with it. Upon renewal you could then schedule the plan change again. Any scheduled plan change will honour that plan even if it is eliminated before your renewal. Of course after that you are grandfathered in so changing it after its no longer offered you then lose it forever.

Only catch is you cannot do that if you are trying to activate a new SIM/Account as there is no way to lock into a current plan without an active SIM/Account.

@bluejaywpg 

You erred in the way your were trying to decide on changing plans. What you should have done is schedule the plan to change on your next renewal. You can then cancel the scheduled plan change at any time before renewal if you decide not to go thru with it. Upon renewal you could then schedule the plan change again. Any scheduled plan change will honour that plan even if it is eliminated before your renewal. Of course after that you are grandfathered in so changing it after its no longer offered you then lose it forever.

marcmasters

It is apples to apples when your trying to bring more customers and they leave us to go back for less

@marcmasters wrote:

When is the price per GB going to fall for public mobile. Rogers/bell/Telus have 5g and are having win back deals for 25 gb plus unlimited does $45 and cell phones. Public needs to compete bring the speeds up and prices low

@marcmasters I just looked up all three companies' prepaid plans. They don't come close to offering what Public Mobile's pre paid plans do. You can't compare their post paid plans to PM's pre paid. Apples to apples.

marcmasters

When is the price per GB going to fall for public mobile. Rogers/bell/Telus have 5g and are having win back deals for 25 gb plus unlimited does $45 and cell phones. Public needs to compete bring the speeds up and prices low

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If I was desperate or committed to needing a 2 GB data plan, I would've got it earlier (perhaps upon running out of data on my current plan). But with a job I'm starting just around the corner, I am still not sure how much data I will want or need. So I waited until the "last day" & then I was going to make my final decision in the evening of the 17th, as my current plan was up for payment on the 19th so I was also milking every last day I could. I was leaning towards getting the promo, so PM likely would've made a few extra bucks off of me for at least a month or 2, if not much longer, in pure profit whether I would've used the extra data or not.

But nope. PM decided to go against what I would call a very standard business practice where most businesses end their promos at the end of the business day (or the end of the day, period) on the end date listed. And instead ended it before I even got out of bed that day.

I will probably be fine with my lower priced plan. PM likely will be too. But they lost a chance to make more money off of me. I will NOT be getting the current 2 GB plan. I'll stick with my lower plan for now.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@blairs1 wrote:

thought the old promo plan ended tonight as indicated?

And this serves as a reminder: if you see a promo plan you like, don't drag your heels -- just get it. PM extended a few in the past, but you never know when they might pull the plug and a potentially less desirable plan comes along.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Bubba wrote:

Mayor / Maire

"Seems competitive enough for the Canadian market to me."

If its too cheap for you, then I'm sure you can always offer to pay more to Telus, above and beyond what Telus/ PM Mobile is asking the plans. 

Canada pays some of the highest amounts in the world for mobile and internet access.

Sometime you wonder what  part of of their body their brain is located.

I'm not sure how you got to major level, but there is something called customer service, that we have to do our self.

This is true. Though not quite as extreme as in past decades, Canadians still pay more for data than many third-world nations.

However, you quoted me explicitly discussing Canadian market. Not global market.

Public Mobile is indeed competitive within the Canadian market. If you don't like Canadian market prices then you must buy from non-Canadian markets. If you don't like PM's customer service model then you must buy from a non-PM operator.

Please make an effort to not misunderstand and to not misquote people when trying to childishly insult them.

@Bubba I'm not sure how you got to major level, but there is something called customer service, that we have to do our self.

*PM tells you upfront there is no customer service..

that's one of the reasons I decided to try public. I liked the fact that I would be managing my services myself, with the notion I will be able to save on my bill. I would have to say the rewards system is unbeatable at the moment. 

*learn how to dodge the bullets, auto-pay and the payment system (add-ons, change plan etc.) and you will have a reliable service.

i understand from a regular customers point of view, the $2 discount for auto-pay isn't worth it and I would have to agree. there are many other places offering better options with customer support, reliable system.

if we look at the plan without the rewards, the prices don't look that great vs lucky, but for customers that have been here for 2+ years. they are saving $4+referrals off the advertised price. we need to take that into account. when we look at things in another light, the plans start to look more appealing. lucky and chatr don't offer anything close to this...

the $40/5gb plan for a customer of 5 years is actually $33. that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. add referrals to that number 🥳.

there are/were customers in the past with 40+ referrals 😯.

bluejaywpg

@Bubba & the cell company excuse is that Canada is a large country with a small population. Which doesn't explain how Australia with a similar population density is able to achieve good coverage at much lower prices such as 5 GB for $30-35 in a month.

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Mayor / Maire

"Seems competitive enough for the Canadian market to me."

If its too cheap for you, then I'm sure you can always offer to pay more to Telus, above and beyond what Telus/ PM Mobile is asking the plans. 

Canada pays some of the highest amounts in the world for mobile and internet access.

Sometime you wonder what  part of of their body their brain is located.

I'm not sure how you got to major level, but there is something called customer service, that we have to do our self.

Haiggy

I think the lack of bravos really speaks to this.

Pawprints1986

Wow this is a bummer... I really thought they'd keep the 30 plan... Now new signers will likely choose the 25 plan and add data as needed. That's what I was on but the 30 plan was too good to miss out on. Freshly signing up I'd pick the 25 plan again 

Why can't Canadian carriers truly compete? Other places can and that's why they're so affordable. They're trying to actually compete with other local offers, not just match them. WhatWhat's the point of even having 3 major brands if their price points always match, between Rogers bell and telus? Why do all 3 even exist?

@bluejaywpg wrote:

... Of course, switching providers is 1 way of expressing one's feelings on the debacle. The worst thing would be to switch to Telus or Koodo in protest lol.

Telus/Koodo/Public dominates BC and AB. Bell/Virgin/Lucky dominates the East. Rogers/Fido/Chatr is Canada-wide. Shaw/Freedom is dispersed across major urban cores (and roughly aligned with Rogers).

My logic is that if one is going to abandon a carrier as a statement of protest (to deny them your money) then one should at least choose an alternative carrier which still funnels that money back to overlord HQ in one's home province. Not always possible. Especially if your province/territory basically has only one local option (like SaskTel or Ice Wireless). Might as well align your protest with your best interests, even if they are at an abstracted distance.

Although in the end it's price that matters most. Few people will deliberately choose to increase their ongoing expenses just to be anonymously spiteful to a faceless corporation.

bluejaywpg

@Jb456 Possibly. Of course, switching providers is 1 way of expressing one's feelings on the debacle. The worst thing would be to switch to Telus or Koodo in protest lol.

bluejaywpg

Once Shaw Mobile is available across the west & possibly beyond, they may be a force to be reckoned with. They are offering a $0 plan to existing Fibre+ customers (talk & text only) with data that can be purchased for $10 per GB

Around 10 people I've read on English and French forums since yesterday that were wanting to sign up for $30 plan but waiting for a sim. 

I think this change is going to cause PM to loose many signups.

Scarybear

That won't exist in Canada. Our communication prices are worse than 3rd world countries. Yikes! #monopolies  

@darlicious wrote:

@gpixel 

Yes he is......when that happens how does public mobile plan on competing with a hottie and these hot plans?

Unlimited calling and texting and 5G/4GLTE data:

1. $15/3gb
  2. $20/8gb
  3. $25/12gb
  4. $30/UNLIMITED!!!!!

Those are great prices, as are many other MNVOs in the US. Just keep in mind these are US$ prices, so add 35%. And or spread out infrastructure does natural need greater cost too. Nevertheless, they are still very nice and it would be great to see more competition here.

fujiyama

This plan is not great, as many have said. But my takeaway from this thread is:

- get a dual sim phone

- have a low cost domestic plan for a local #

- get a cheap (could be foreign) data plan for use on SIM slot 2 XD

@blairs1 wrote:

@dabr well.... looks like it’s a solid no from the mod team. 

super poor first experience with the lack of clear verbiage. 

@blairs1   Sorry to hear that the mods wouldn't budge and apply some discretion considering the confusion about the promo dates.  Have to agree that's disappointing!

@Korth , anyone with a Canadian number would incur international long distance charges.  A lot of people would not be so interested in making that call.  Outgoing calls may be okay but incoming calls may be severely impacted. 

@will13am wrote:

being able to keep a foreign plan and roaming in Canada sounds like the panacea but it is not.  Carrying an international phone number means the calling feature is pretty much useless.

How is it useless? My friend can make calls in Canada to Canada, can answer calls from anywhere in Canada. She calls people (and businesses) in BC daily, other people in ON (and in Singapore) often. They don't seem to have problems calling her. Even if they're people (and businesses) who've never called her before. I'm guessing she has to include extra digits when dialing long distance prefixes, that might have been a small issue back in the age of rotary phones but it's nothing in this age of touchscreen contacts.

Local-calling and province-wide calling are legacy throwbacks these days, everybody has access to cheap unlimited nation-wide calling in this decade. Just like, I think, everybody will have access to cheap unlimited international calling in the next decade.

@Korth , being able to keep a foreign plan and roaming in Canada sounds like the panacea but it is not.  Carrying an international phone number means the calling feature is pretty much useless.  If you only need text and data, you can get that at a competitive price in Canada.  The dog brand plan that I run on SIM 2 is only $5 for 4GB.  

I have a suggestion here, don't get mad, get even.  Buy Telus shares and get your money back way of dividends.  

bluejaywpg

@Korth Time to plan a trip to circle the globe to Singapore to sign up! Maybe the savings would eventually pay for the trip itself LOL. 

Unlimited calling and texting and 5G/4GLTE data:

1. $15/3gb
  2. $20/8gb
  3. $25/12gb
  4. $30/UNLIMITED

if hes successful, I don't see mint being able to offer those prices in canada... it would probably be double that amount or a bit more.

textnow has an unlimited data plan on the Sprint network(rogers) for $40(throttled after 23gb)

@darlicious wrote:

......when that happens how does public mobile plan on competing ...

When that happens we'll see for ourselves, lol. Telus will respond. Then Koodo and Public will fall in line with Telus.

More for less is always good for the consumer. But I'm still skeptical enough to think the promises are still a whole lot of hype. Probably exaggerated, possibly vapor. Just gotta wait and see what happens.

Need Help? Let's chat.