Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: New Long Distance Add-Ons

@Pawprints1986 meant seperate accounts. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

There's WiFi many places but WiFi can crash. Cell signal satellites are pretty rock solid

Maybe true where you are located. Also true where I live, in a city "near" a big urban core.

But untrue in a lot of the places I've worked - Northern BC, Caribou and Okanagan and Kootenay areas, parts of Yukon and Northwest Territories. All nominally within PM (Telus/Bell) network coverage. But all lacking reliable cellular service when too far outside urban areas, especially around coastlines and mountains. Sometimes these places simply don't have enough local cellular radio hardware to cover the whole area, it has limited capacity or it has directional focus somewhere else. Often these places compensate by providing some kind of WiFi service which is in turn linked to the world through wired hardware. (Some "amateur" radio towers also function as Call/Text/Data relay stations for locals/visitors, though I'm unsure exactly how this works or if it's a free public service.)

Cellular phones and satellite phones are different things. Some consumer devices do integrate both sets of radio hardware. But the only satellite service accessible to a typical consumer smartphone is GPS beacons.

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

Can you please add Sri Lanka? Thanks lot!

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Amila wrote:

Hi

Can you please add Sri Lanka? Thanks lot!

Changes are Public Mobile are often very slow to happen. The only advantage to these add-ons is the ability to make direct-dial calls using the regular phone service. However, it's still easy to make calls using an an app and pay by the minute or to purchase long distance minutes from a third party service.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:
However, it's still easy to make calls using an an app and pay by the minute or to purchase long distance minutes from a third party service.

Some of those third-party (long distance calling card) services cost less per minute than these PM long distance add-on rates.

But these services always milk their money somehow. A charge of $0.25 each time you dial a call. A "maintenance" charge which depletes your balance $0.50 per month. An expiry date (time limit) after card activation. Details vary, some rob you less and some rob you more.

While PM's add-on minutes rollover billing cycles indefinitely without diminishing and they don't expire or fall off the account until they've been fully consumed. So they're probably still a better deal (lower total cost per minute) for many people.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That's awesome! I'm sure many PM customers will be very happy with the countries that have been added. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@JLakerson wrote:

That's awesome! I'm sure many PM customers will be very happy with the countries that have been added. 

Exactly recent immigrants, students or temporary workers from abroad etc. Keeping cost down with no land line...what a great convenience. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@Jb456 

Just wondered if you mean 2 fully active accounts between PM and koodo? Or do you somehow use koodos easy roam in conjunction with your PM main account ? The latter sounds way too good to be true lol

I wouldn't even mind having to pay the 8 or 12 per day ahead PM style even if it went unused, that piece of mind really is priceless... And when you're already spending enough to travel to such places, what's another 50 bucks or so?

There's WiFi many places but WiFi can crash. Cell signal satellites are pretty rock solid

@Pawprints1986 

If you are budget minded.....another 50 bucks or so.....is enough to make a European holiday (or elsewhere) out of reach for most people. I specifically bought a dual SIM phone for our 21 day holiday in Europe in spring 2018 because the roaming options per day charge was outrageous from the 3 providers we had at the time ( telus, fido and freedom.) Intending to buy a local sim while in either Dublin or London the plentiful free WiFi convinced me otherwise but once on the continent the small outlay would have been well worth it but we still managed using WiFi only with the exception of Paris when the bf went out to the local "corner store" for a bottle of wine and got lost for 4 hours! We spent $9 between us on roaming charges with fido and freedom sending a few texts and a short phone call. Nice to fall back on....next holiday I'll just get a cheap local sim card since pm doesn't offer roaming in Europe to fall back on. The $9 spent was still better than the cheapest discounted roaming option at our disposal of $8 p/day+ reduced charges per text or call.

Reducing your overall costs here and there can make holidays affordable for most who don't think they are....2 people, 21 days, return flights from Vancouver to Dublin on Air France and KLM. Flights and transfers to London, overnight coach and ferry to Paris, flights and transfers to Barcelona/Girona and back to Dublin, all meals, airbnb, one luxury hotel night, museums and art galleries, local transit tickets/passes, £400 and €1000 in spending money = total cost of trip for two people just under $6000 cdn. Approximately $150 per person per day all in.....$50 or so here and there can really add up.....that's 10 bottles (or more) of good wine you could be enjoying every day with lunch!

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think these new rates gives clearer destination specific rate choices  for those who call a particular region. But I think it adds complexity for those of us that call multiple countries. You should at least lump US and UK since they are the same rate. We would not have to buy two separate add-ons to call both countries.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jonavin wrote:

I think these new rates gives clearer destination specific rate choices  for those who call a particular region. But I think it adds complexity for those of us that call multiple countries. You should at least lump US and UK since they are the same rate. We would not have to buy two separate add-ons to call both countries.

That's my main criticism. I know we're discussing complexity, but the need for multiple add-ons also adds complexity. Having multiple add-ons in this way only benefits Public Mobile. The fairest way would be to have one long distance add-on period and for the calls to use up parts of the add-on a weighted basis. I also essentially caleld the US/UK situation to be a cash grab, or at the very least, that's how consumers are going to see it.

Need Help? Let's chat.