cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Coming this week: Improvements to the Get Started Page

@Griffyn wrote:

Okay, now I'm confused...I have separate accounts depending on what I'm doing??

That account number with all the zero's isn't used anywhere. I haven't ever ported out but maybe it's needed then.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi trishe....thought I'd come on and reply to your message.  Bell unlocked my phone with no problems.  I didn't buy a phone from Walmart, sorry if that's what I had implied.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Griffyn wrote:

I will attempt an explanation.

For each PM account, you will be assigned these at time of activation:
- a static account number
- 1 phone number (can be changed later / ported from another provider)
- 1 SIM Card (which can be replaced as needed)

The Self Serve account is one way (the main one) to view and make changes to your account. Just like dialing 611 is another way to access it. When creating your Self Serve account, you will be asked for an unique email address.

The Community forum account is a separate section of PM. It is used to ask questions and answer posts here. Linked via your email address, you can earn community participation rewards towards your PM account.

Hi z10user4...okay, that makes more sense.  The 14-digit number does have a lot of zeros in it.  So no wonder I can't remember my password...I haven't set up my account yet!  And what GinYVR said makes sense too...I need option2...set up account.

Thanks guys!

LovesToPM...what do you mean when you say a 'unique' email address?  I only have one email address.

@Griffyn wrote:

LovesToPM...what do you mean when you say a 'unique' email address?  I only have one email address.

If you or family member will sign-up with PM for another line, you will need to use a different (distinct) email address.

@GinYVR wrote:

@trishePublic Mobile moderators will not be able to unlock phones from other carriers. In your situation, the walmart representative is wrong. You didn't have to buy another phone. I am sure you can return your just purchased phone after unlocking your locked phone, you have up to 15 days according to the Consumer Rights for Mobile Phone.

Depending on what model of phone that is locked, you can easily go back to your previous carrier (assuming you still have an active account) ...

Actually, you do not need an active account with the previous carrier. You simply have to first ID which carrier it was then contact the technical support of that carrier and they do it. With Bell, they have been know to sometimes delay the process by several hours. 

For example, we were given an old iPhone from a friend. Called the carier and it was done within minutes.

Then bought another old iPhone from a second hand store. They told me which carrier it was previously locked to, called that carrier and again within minutes it was unlocked. 

The phones were not active with those carriers and I did not have plans with them either. 

It was really easy AND free.

iPhones are usually the most expensive to unlock via third party solutions but as you can see, you do not need to use them.

@Griffyn wrote:

Thanks trishe and GinYVR!!  You guys are so helpful!  GinYVR, you said you had to send your message twice...I actually got it 19 times!  Not sure what happened there.  

same here :-\

@LovesToPM wrote:

@Griffyn wrote:

I will attempt an explanation.

For each PM account, you will be assigned these at time of activation:
- a static account number
- 1 phone number (can be changed later / ported from another provider)
- 1 SIM Card (which can be replaced as needed)

The Self Serve account is one way (the main one) to view and make changes to your account. Just like dialing 611 is another way to access it. When creating your Self Serve account, you will be asked for an unique email address.

The Community forum account is a separate section of PM. It is used to ask questions and answer posts here. Linked via your email address, you can earn community participation rewards towards your PM account.

Actually to be more precise, if you want to earn community rewards, the e-mail you use to sign up for the community needs to be the same as the e-mail you use to sign into your sel-serve account. That is how PM knows which account to assign earned rewards each month. Otherwise, you lose any earned community rewards (since they cannot associate your 2 accounts, community and self-serve).

@LovesToPM wrote:

@Griffyn wrote:

If you or family member will sign-up with PM for another line, you will need to use a different (distinct) email address.

Actually, you only need a unique e-mail address for the self-serve account. You can get away with only one account in the community IF you are the one managing all the accounts (since all community rewards will get assigned to self-serve account matching the e-mail registered in the forum). 

You only need a unique e-mail address in the community (that matches the e-mail address used for self-serve IF each account holder wants to be able to earn community rewards independently).

All that said, some e-mail services allow you to create temp or sub- e-mail accounts that feed into your main e-mail inbox. For example, with gmail, there are several techniques, such as, adding a "." in the middle of your e-mail address or adding a "+text" in your e-mail sign-up and any e-mail directed to those will still get to your original e-mail.

For example, johnsmith@gmail.com can be john.smith@gmail.com or johnsmith+pm@gmail.com and the last two will still go to johnsmith@gmail.com.

You can also use @googlemail.com as a substitute for @gmail.com.

These are give you "new" unique e-mails that still go to your main inbox. Then you can also use filters or labels to group them.