cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Coming this week: Improvements to the Get Started Page

Hi Griff

@Griffyn wrote:

This is so very confusing!  I might have to change my mind about joining PM!  The question I need to have answered is "Why do I keep getting a message stating that the network can not check the compatibility of my unlocked Samsung J3 (2018) at this time??".

Sorry to hijack this thread...I didn't know what else to do to ask a question!

Hi Griffin. I d k why you are getting that message but another way to check the comparability is at any local Walmart.  The staff at different locations who helped me were very knowledgeable.  We seem to rely on technology too much & forget the skills of hands on human touch.  

Did you request an online search of your phone's comparability with this network for the computer to randomly send you that message repeatedly.  I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. 

Thanks trishe....I'm trying to sign up with PM and the first step is to check for compatibility. So the first time I tried to check, my phone was still locked (I know nothing about cell phones).  I had Bell unlock it and tried again...same answer.  Then I came here to the forums to find out why the check couldn't be done.  That's when I started to get frustrated.  It seems a lot of people had the same problem but no where could I find an answer to the question...how do we now verify that our phone will work with the network?  So I joined PM in order to ask.  I was told to take the phone to Walmart to get them to do the check...which I can do, but not today cause there isn't one around the corner.  That's why I then asked if there was another site where I could check it on-line.

Thanks for your response, trishe!

Mayor / Maire

@Griffyn 

So it's the Samsung J3 (2018). Was it originally a Canadian-market phone? Do you have a sub-model number?

I would be pretty certain it'll work. You don't _have_ to do the compatibility check to activate. It's not a required step. It's really more for your heads-up to know in advance with a level of certainty that it *should* work.

Hi z10user4...no other subnumber on my contract...is there someplace I can access it on the phone itself?  I have no idea if it's a Canadian market phone.  I would be surprised if it wasn't compatible but I don't want to buy another phone if it isn't.  I just bought this one in January.  Thanks for replying.

Mayor / Maire

@Griffyn wrote:

Hi z10user4...no other subnumber on my contract...is there someplace I can access it on the phone itself?  I have no idea if it's a Canadian market phone.  I would be surprised if it wasn't compatible but I don't want to buy another phone if it isn't.  I just bought this one in January.  Thanks for replying.

Settings/About Phone should have more detailed model information.

Has it been working so far somewhere?

Hello again.  I took my phone to Walmart, they said it's compatible.  While I was there, I bought a PM SIM card and gave them my demographic and financial information.  The  salesperson also had me fill out most of the Account Setup. Under Set Up Your Self-Serve Account, I didn't complete steps 1-3 but he had me put in a 4 digit pin in step 4.    

So here is another slew of questions...my statement period with Bell ends on June 12th so I would like to start with Public Mobile on the 13th.  Is that possible to make a seamless transition?  Since I'm still with Bell, I left my Bell SIM card in the phone.  Should I go to Need To Create An Account? on the 13th after I've switched out the SIM cards?  Under verify your phone number, is that the temporary one the salesperson gave me?  The salesperson asked me which plan I wanted.  I told him the $15 plan and that I would like to set up the autopay using my credit card in order to get the $2 off per month.  He said the $15 plan already included that and the plan I chose was actually $17...is that true?

Thanks for your help...and your patience!

Mayor / Maire

@Griffyn wrote:

Hello again.  I took my phone to Walmart, they said it's compatible.  While I was there, I bought a PM SIM card and gave them my demographic and financial information.  The  salesperson also had me fill out most of the Account Setup. Under Set Up Your Self-Serve Account, I didn't complete steps 1-3 but he had me put in a 4 digit pin in step 4.    

So here is another slew of questions...my statement period with Bell ends on June 12th so I would like to start with Public Mobile on the 13th.  Is that possible to make a seamless transition?  Since I'm still with Bell, I left my Bell SIM card in the phone.  Should I go to Need To Create An Account? on the 13th after I've switched out the SIM cards?  Under verify your phone number, is that the temporary one the salesperson gave me?  The salesperson asked me which plan I wanted.  I told him the $15 plan and that I would like to set up the autopay using my credit card in order to get the $2 off per month.  He said the $15 plan already included that and the plan I chose was actually $17...is that true?

Thanks for your help...and your patience!

@Griffyn- A couple of things off the top of my head:

1- The auto pay IS NOT already included in the $15.  With auto-pay, it will be $13.

2- It seems like the Walmart rep already set up your plan.  That is, you are already paying for your $15 (-2) plan.  You can switch over as soon as you want.  If your Bell plan is post-paid, Bell should give you a refund (if it is due).

3- You should already have a self serve account created.  If they asked for  an email, and had you enter a password.  If not, you can create it yourself from the PM main page.

Thanks for the info, abTest...especially the part about the $2/month not being included in the $15 monthly fee!  

When I was at Walmart, the rep did ask me to sign in using my email address but for some reason, it didn't work.  I just tried to do it again and again, it didn't work.  I needed to give PM my email address in order to ask questions in the Community forums. I can't remember what password I used cause I only had to enter it once so I clicked on Forgot My Password.  Then I got a message that said my email address wasn't recognized.  Since I'm getting emails at that address from PM, any idea why it would tell me that?  I only have one email address.

Since my contract with Bell isn't up yet, I will not only owe them my monthly fee, I will also have to pay off the remaining cost of the phone.  So I will still be getting a bill from them after June 12th.  Can I switch over on the 13th anyway or will PM not be able to pull my current phone number if I still owe money?

Thanks again.

@Griffyn wrote:

Thanks trishe....I'm trying to sign up with PM and the first step is to check for compatibility. So the first time I tried to check, my phone was still locked (I know nothing about cell phones).  I had Bell unlock it and tried again...same answer.  Then I came here to the forums to find out why the check couldn't be done.  That's when I started to get frustrated.  It seems a lot of people had the same problem but no where could I find an answer to the question...how do we now verify that our phone will work with the network?  So I joined PM in order to ask.  I was told to take the phone to Walmart to get them to do the check...which I can do, but not today cause there isn't one around the corner.  That's why I then asked if there was another site where I could check it on-line.

Thanks for your response, trishe!

Hi again Griffyn. The staff at Walmart might not be the only ones available to check.  There are announcements of new kiosks & London Drugs also has knowledgeable staff.  I had problems today helping a friend get into public mobile.  His phone would not unlock & the SIM Cards are no longer free.  I will try to link you to a moderator or somebody from public mobile who can answer your question. Unfortunately we spent almost a whole day7 hours, in Walmart today with only one busy phonevtech there.  After buying the SIM & minutes they are non refundable.  When his phone would not unlock the salesperson told him he would have to buy another phone.  He instead bought a chatter that is compatible with Rogers & Fido phones.  Bell uses Telus towers like public mobile does.  There should therefore not be a comparability issue. Did you say the unlock code from Bell did work on your phone?

tag@Moderator_Team