cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW OFFER: 2nd Month Free! BLACK FRIDAY SALE! Activate by December 2 and get a bonus 5 GB of data.

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

This offer is now expired.

November 25th until December 2nd 11:59PM ET: We’re introducing two new Black Friday Deals: 

• Get your 2nd month free when you activate on any plan online or in-store
    • This will be credited to your account within 10 business days
  • Get a free SIM card when you activate on any plan in-store

These offers are stackable with the 5GB data add-on, so long as you activate on an eligible plan ($35+/month).

Hey Community,

From November 25 to December 2, customers that activate online or in-store will receive a one-time bonus 5GB of data. Simply activate before December 2, 2019 11:59PM ET, on a $35+/mo plan to claim this offer. This will be applied as an Add-On. This offer is available to new customers only and not stackable with any other promos (except for Refer-a-friend bonus).

How to Get this Offer:

• Click here to order a SIM card online through Public Mobile (shipping time is 3 to 7 business days) or order through Amazon and choose your shipping speed. Alternatively, you can purchase a SIM card by locating a retailer near you
  • Activate in-store OR visit activate.publicmobile.ca to activate at home on a $35/mo or higher plan by December 2, 2019 11:59PM ET
  • Eligible customers will be provided the one-time 5 GB data Add-On within 2 business days of activation.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

310 REPLIES 310

Cartman1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do I need to enter a code to get the added data when I sign up?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BestFriend wrote:

What an amazing deal! Just signed up. Stoked to have switched from a $45 account on Bell to a way cheaper version of basically the exact same thing here.

Welcome to PM.  Enjoy you savings.

Most of us prefer the saving on month-to-month than getting a subsidized phone for 2 years contract.  We use the monthly saving to buy our phone when needed.

BestFriend
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What an amazing deal! Just signed up. Stoked to have switched from a $45 account on Bell to a way cheaper version of basically the exact same thing here.

But the 5Gb bonus isn't per month. However the $40 5Gb plan gives you way more data and solves the calling limitations for $38 maximum per month plus you would get the one 5Gb add-on just in case you ever used up the 5Gb before your month is up. Add in the $10 referal credit, second month free and free SIM card and you need to get on it TODAY!

<edit> I guess you meant that you WERE with Koodo as I see you have already switched to PM. I would give it a try here, Koodo isn't going anywhere if you wish you had stayed put and there have been been special migration offers from PM to Koodo in the past.

AE_Collector

Chuckie

Yes the $35.

I'm with Koodo, paying $40 for 2gb's (4G I think) and 500 nationwide min.  Been looking for a promo with Public that would better fit my needs.  No calling limitations, and a little more data... just in case I needed it.  The $35 with Public (if I acctually got 5gb bonus per month) would have been perfect.  Add in an autopay credit and referel bonuses to my wife who's already with Public, and I'm starting to save money.

@GR wrote:

@Chuckie if you cancel you lose your money. The 5gb is a one time bonus add on that will roll over every month until all used up. So if you use all your inplan data then you go in the bonus until renewal and then at renewal you get your inplan data again and whatever is remaining from the 5gb stays in your account 

@ChuckieDid you activate on just the $35 plan? Or I'd you spend the $5 extra and get the $40 w/autopay 5gb. Getting 3.5gb of data for $5 or $10 when you upgrade to the $50 and again on the $60 (+US calling included in that $10) is a cheap way to increase your monthly data allotment after you use up the bonus data add ons. The bonus add on data is $30/1gb is a much more valuable  promotion than extra plan data. You will be receiving a $150 bonus rather than plan data worth $5-$10.

Considering all the different cell companies that most dealers have to know how to set up phones on as well as keeping up with promotions that in the case of PM are frequently live as they are announced and expire 48;hours later.... I generally am amazed at what a great job they do. London Drugs for certain, at least in my experience.

But yes, I would show up with a screen shot of the promo on my phone and be certain everyone is on the same page before proceeding.

AE_Collector

@flyingtiger2007Retailers are often not up on the latest deal. It's up to you to educate them. Pull out your phone or tell them to go to the public mobile site and show them the latest offer. Generally it's in their best interest to do the activation in store rather than just sell a SIM card.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Lorilav it says it can take up to 72 hours for the bonus to show up.  Did you activate on a 35$ or more plan? If so you should see it soon 

Lorilav

I just activated and joined public mobile online why didn't I get the 5 GB of data???

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Chuckie if you cancel you lose your money. The 5gb is a one time bonus add on that will roll over every month until all used up. So if you use all your inplan data then you go in the bonus until renewal and then at renewal you get your inplan data again and whatever is remaining from the 5gb stays in your account 

@Chuckie wrote:

I just signed up, and now realize the 5GB bonus is not an additional monthly bonus like I thought.  This sucks!

Does anyone know if I can cancel within the first 24hrs or something?  Sim card hasn't found its way into the phoone yet.

There are no refunds on prepaid cell phone service.

Chuckie

I just signed up, and now realize the 5GB bonus is not an additional monthly bonus like I thought.  This sucks!

Does anyone know if I can cancel within the first 24hrs or something?  Sim card hasn't found its way into the phoone yet.

Wow big surprise....walmart doesn't want to sell SIM cards without activation and I suppose they don't want to do activations unless they sell you the SIM card. As much as I'd like to see them dropped as an authorized dealer for public mobile often Wal-Mart is the closest or only retail location for customers in smaller cities and towns to get access to public mobile. But yet another let down from walmart!

@AE_Collector wrote:

@dabr 

I am betting that dealers have been BUSY with this promo not to mention whatever other BF promos are running from other companies.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector   I'm sure you're right!

@dabr 

I am betting that dealers have been BUSY with this promo not to mention whatever other BF promos are running from other companies.

AE_Collector

@flyingtiger2007 wrote:

I actually did try Walmart before I went to RCSS. The Walmart guy said they would not do any PM activation on pre-paid plan for the whole weekend.

I know I have to get the sim activated in store to get it free. But since the guy at RSCC said they were not aware of the promotion I just bought the sim card and left. Didn't want to wait there. It's just 1 min job to do it online at home but might take more than 10 in store. 🙂 

I don't understand why the Walmart employee would say that.  PM is only prepaid, so, in effect, they are saying no PM activations for the weekend?  Strange decision by Walmart, might be connected to black Friday sales going on and they didn't want to spend the time required to do the activation. 

Good to hear your online activation went well:)

flyingtiger2007

Thank you. 

I actually did try Walmart before I went to RCSS. The Walmart guy said they would not do any PM activation on pre-paid plan for the whole weekend.

I know I have to get the sim activated in store to get it free. But since the guy at RSCC said they were not aware of the promotion I just bought the sim card and left. Didn't want to wait there. It's just 1 min job to do it online at home but might take more than 10 in store. 🙂 

@just_joe @AE_Collector @AJ72  Something you may have missed in your recommendations. The free month credit is for $35+ plans only.  Activating below that will not get you the free month. Here is the calculation based on the $40 plan than gets you 5gb data and $38 per month on autopay. The current stackable promotions based on the $40 plan is worth $210. (Based on the bc tax rate of 12%...$40+$4.80=$44.80 initial investment gets $210+$25.20=$235.20 credit value.) Credit value is $10 referral credit+$40 free month+ 5gb data add on bonus (5×$30=$150) + $10 free sim=$210. Works like this if you downgrade to the $15 (although this is a rare case of the $35plan being better if you will lose the bonus data add ons upon plan change because you might as well use them up) but to continue....sign up for $40 plan....recieve $10 Referral credit+$40 free month=$50+$4 autopay reward(1st+2nd month) =$54 account credit. Switch to $15 on next renewal $54-$15=$39 third month $39+$2 autopay=$41-$15=$26 fourth month $26+$2 a/p=$28-$15=$13 fifth month $13+$2=$15-$15=$0 On your sixth renewal you will have the $2 autopay credit and owe $13. So for $40 you will get 5 months(150 days) of service. Activate today and your next payment of $13 will be on April 30th 2020. At some point you may want to add the $5/500min add on to supplement the 100 outgoing minutes in the $15 plan.

Edit: Apologies...misread promo free month is on any plan...but above calculation still applies.

@flyingtiger2007 wrote:

I went to the mobile store at the RCSS yesterday and asked for an activation on $15 plan. However the rep said they had not heard anything about the free sim card promotion. So I had to pay $10+hst for the sim card and did the activation online by myself when I got home. 

Unfortunately, the promo details say the plan had to be activated instore to qualify for the free SIM, perhaps you should have tried a different retailer (if possible), when RCSS refused you the free SIM. 

However, you should still get the second month free for registering online, and hopefully you registered a CC to get the autopay $2 discount per 30 days too.

Welcome to PM:)

@akwaijim wrote:
  •  I just signed up to PM on the 28 Nov to get the 5GB and free month. When can I expect that to show on my account? It isn’t there yet?

The promo details say within two business days, so you should see it in your account by tomorrow as long as you have purchased the qualifying plan.

akwaijim
  •  I just signed up to PM on the 28 Nov to get the 5GB and free month. When can I expect that to show on my account? It isn’t there yet?

flyingtiger2007

I went to the mobile store at the RCSS yesterday and asked for an activation on $15 plan. However the rep said they had not heard anything about the free sim card promotion. So I had to pay $10+hst for the sim card and did the activation online by myself when I got home. 

@just_joe wrote:

That's an awesome idea @AE_Collector. I was under the impression that I had to keep the same $35 plan for the 2 months to get that second month free. That will definitely soften the blow if they claw back the 5GBs.

Thank again.

If you don't need a $35 plan but are only thinking about this because of the hope that the 5GB add-on won't be taken away after changing plans, why not just keep the $35 for the first 30 days?  Officially the 5GB should be taken away, but you'd be paying $20 more during activation, but will also receive an account credit that is $20 more.

When in doubt, go with everything that has been written! That's all there is.

But, you're new here 🙂 Soon you will see some of the odd things that happen.....

That said, don't count on anything different happening from what is written.....

AE_Collector,

AJ72

It has already been confirmed by @Alan_K (PM Mod) in this thread earlier that any plan change (upgrade or downgrade) will cause the 5GB data add-on to be removed due to the way it has been coded. See this:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/NEW-OFFER-2nd-Month-Free-BLACK-FRIDAY-S...

That's enough to tell me that the 5GB bonus add-on will be removed on any plan change.

As for signing up with a $35 plan for the 1st month to get the $35 second month credit, and then downgrading to a $15 plan will actually cost more over 3 months, as compared to signing up for a $15 plan in the 1st month.

Assuming no auto-pay, here's what it's going to look like:

1st month - $35+hst = $39.55

Credit $35 for 2nd month

2nd and 3rd month on $15 plan = $30 (no hst since it's going to be taken from the available credit)

Balance after 3 months = $35 - $30 = $5

Cost over 3 months = $39.55 - $5 = $34.55

1st month - $15+hst = $16.95

Credit $15 for 2nd month

2nd month = $0 (no hst since it's going to be taken from the available credit)

3rd month = $15+hst = $16.95

Balance after 3 months = $0

Cost over 3 months = $16.95 x 2  = $33.90

Hope this helps.

@just_joe wrote:

That's an awesome idea @AE_Collector. I was under the impression that I had to keep the same $35 plan for the 2 months to get that second month free. That will definitely soften the blow if they claw back the 5GBs.

Thank again.

@just_joe wrote:

Thank again.

That is how it has always worked in the past. You get the second month credit equal to first month payment during the month and it goes towards your renewal no matter what plan you are in then. If anyone has seen anything in fine print forcing you to stay on the same plan for month #2 with regards to the second month free, let us know. I'm almost certain you can be in whatever plan you want in your second month for the second month free credit equal to your first month. 5Gb data add-on is another story.

AE_Collector

just_joe

Thank again.

Give it a shot and be sure to let us know what happens! One thing to consider is by starting at $35 rather than $15, you will get a $35 credit to use towards your next renewal rather than a $15 credit which will cover two renewals on the $15 plan. So it usnt a loss of $20 starting on the $35 plan if the data is clawed back.

AE_Collector

just_joe

Thanks @GR and @AE_Collector for your input. I think I'm going to take a chance and go for the $35 and then downgrade after the second month... hopefully this 5GBs will stay.

Joe

Need Help? Let's chat.