Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW: Introducing even more 4G speed plans

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Starting today, we’re introducing three brand new 4G speed plans. These plans are available to all existing and new customers, plus new customers will earn 3x the Points-Back for 12 months when they activate. 

Plan Details: 

$55/month

• 3x Points-back: Earn $8.25/mo in points value²
  • 8 GB Data¹ at 4G speed
  • Unlimited  Canada-wide minutes
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • Voicemail and Call Display5

$60/month

• 3x Points-back: Earn $9/mo in points value²
  • 10 GB Data¹ at 4G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide minutes

$65/month

• 3x Points-back: Earn $9.75/mo in points value²
  • 15 GB Data¹ at 4G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide minutes

How to Get These Plans: 

Existing Customers: 

1. Log in to My Account
  2. Go to ‘Plans & Add-ons’
  3. Click ‘Change my Plan’

New Customers

1. If you need to purchase a SIM card, click here to order a SIM card online through Public Mobile. Your SIM card will be shipped within 3 to 7 business days. You can also order your SIM card through Amazon, and choose your shipping speed. Alternatively, you can purchase a SIM card by locating a retailer near you. 
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca to activate online. 

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here

- The Public Mobile Community team

Details:

Spoiler

²Offer current as of July 13, 2022. Offer available to new customers who activate at Public Mobile. Offer provides 15% points-back for 12 months on eligible purchases on your plan or add-ons. Offer subject to change, and may be removed at any time. 15% points-back applies only to customer spend on plan renewals and add-ons, and is not applicable to any other method of earning points (such as welcome present points, give back points, refer-a-friend, anniversary, etc.). Offer is applied as a 10% points-back bonus on top of the current in-market points-back offer of 5%. After the 12-month period, the 15% offer will be removed, and customer will revert to the in-market points-back offer, which is currently 5%.

Points bonus will automatically be applied separately from the regular 5% points-back to eligible purchases within 4-5 business days. Points bonus will expire if the account is deactivated.

As of August 16, 2022, 1 Public point earned is valued at 1 dollar when redeemed. By redeeming 15 points, you can save $15 off the price of your phone bill, applied to your next renewal. Minimum redemption of 15 points required to receive a bill credit. Public Points have no cash value and may not be redeemed for cash or any other benefits except under the Program.

¹Plans with 3G speed may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, and plans with 4G speed may reach download speeds up to 100 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For more information about speed experience in our rate plans, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization_fr.pdf

39 REPLIES 39

@waelrezk wrote:

Please note that the maximum download speed of the new 4G plans is up to 100 Mbps ONLY and Public Mobile doesn't have this published anywhere. The older 4G plans didn't have any throttling and I used to get up to 300 Mbps download speed. Please also note that the quality of the new plans is much worse than the old 4G. It seems like PublicMobile and Koodo have created new network segments that have a lower quality of service so they can make more profit. We are capped on both usage and speed, and we are still paying the highest rates in world for wireless and internet services. 

The infromation about the 100Mbps speed limit for the current 4g plans is in plain view on the publicmobile.ca website in the plan advertisement section.  I do agree that for existing customers, the disclaimer inside Self Serve about possbile 750Mbps speeds can be misleading unelss that customers has access to the plans with those faster speeds.  To this day, Self Serve still makes mention to that faster speed.

waelrezk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please note that the maximum download speed of the new 4G plans is up to 100 Mbps ONLY and Public Mobile doesn't have this published anywhere. The older 4G plans didn't have any throttling and I used to get up to 300 Mbps download speed. Please also note that the quality of the new plans is much worse than the old 4G. It seems like PublicMobile and Koodo have created new network segments that have a lower quality of service so they can make more profit. We are capped on both usage and speed, and we are still paying the highest rates in world for wireless and internet services. 

@ryjawar77 wrote:

$40/15GB 4G plan is available if you log in via computer and much better plan imho

None of the plans mentioned in this thread are offered any longer. The information here is out-of-date.

ryjawar77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

$40/15GB 4G plan is available if you log in via computer and much better plan imho

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jboeringa 

Don't switch your wife to the points program as eventually you will lose $50+ each year. 3×points offer does not apply to existing customers that switch to the points program.

Jboeringa

I was thinking the same thing... My wife has a lot of rewards from the old way, and it seems like in the long run, they will add up to an overall higher savings then if she opted in to this way of doing it...

@charlieecdavis  "unlimited Canada-wide Talk" and "unlimited Canada-wide minutes" are the same  🙂

charlieecdavis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This may be a silly question but what is the difference between "unlimited Canada-wide Talk" and "unlimited Canada-wide minutes"? My old plan refers to 'Talk' and I can't tell if I'm downgrading if I go with a plan that only says 'minutes'.

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

And I see some are pointing out this is worse than what was previously offered. How on earth do companies pull stunts like this with a straight face?

It would be interesting to calculate how long 3x the points for 12 months would be a money saver vs. staying on the old rewards plan. That is before the old rewards creep up into higher savings over the current rewards points system when it returns to 1x.

bluejaywpg

Copy & paste.

On a PC, click & drag over the text with your mouse to highlight it. Then right-click anywhere on top of the text & left-click Copy. Then in an email, DM, social media post, etc. - right-click where you type in text & left-click Paste.

On an Android phone (maybe an iPhone too?), tap & hold any word in the text you wish to share, once it highlights the word, lift your finger. Then tap & drag either of the 2 teardrop shapes over the text you want to highlight until everything you want is highlighted. If there isn't already a menu, tap & hold on the highlighted text until a menu appears. Then tap Copy. Go to wherever you wish to share the text, tap & hold your finger where you would type text, then tap Paste.

Or take a screenshot.

On a PC, click Start, type Snipping Tool & click on it. Then click New, select the area you want to make a screen shot out of, then click the Copy toolbar button. Right-click & Paste wherever you want the screenshot to go.

On a Samsung Android phone, press the lock screen button & down volume at the same time, the screen will go briefly white to indicate a screenshot was taken. You can then insert the picture wherever you wish by following the steps (usually tapping a camera or picture icon & then tapping the picture & "Done" or something like that).

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Tiana_V - is there an english version that can be added to your post for the link under your spoiler?

This one is french. Although taking out the ending "_fr" gets it to english, others may not know how to get the english version.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization_fr.pdf

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Cynthialu 

Copy and paste or click on the arrow thingy on the right side of the post. Click the on permanent and then copy the page link to share the link to the post.

@Community_QA wrote:

Thanks @Tiana_V , it's good to have more plan choices

Out of all Tier 3 , I think PM is the most aggressive one in terms of choices.  I don't think Lukcy or Chatr has any 4G plan 

I agree that the Public Mobile having faster LTE speeds than Lucky and Chatr is a good thing.  However, with this announcement, the plans actually got worse.

Community_QA

Thanks @Tiana_V , it's good to have more plan choices

Out of all Tier 3 , I think PM is the most aggressive one in terms of choices.  I don't think Lukcy or Chatr has any 4G plan 

Cynthialu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there any easy way to forward above information to my friends?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jboeringa 

It is only recently that large data bucket plans have been introduced reducing the cost per GB down into the $2 - $3/GB range. Before this year the cheapest plan data averaged $4 - $5 on the higher priced plans. If you break down plan pricing you can see how the price per GB gets cheaper....in most cases when the plan price increases.

• $10.......................30 Day plan
  • $3/$13 plan.........50 outgoing texts/50 in/out minutes ($1.50/50 texts, $1.50/50 minutes) **$3/2022 rate hike to the $10 50/50 legacy plan previously included the 50 texts/50 min
  • $5/$15 plan.........unlimited SMS/MMS texts and incoming minutes, 100 outgoing minutes, 250mb of data (Assuming : $1/texts, $1/incoming minutes, $1/100 outgoing minutes, $2/250mb=$8/1GB)
  • $15/$25 plan.......unlimited SMS/MMS texts and minutes, 1GB of data ($10/unlimited minutes+750mb=$1/unlimited outgoing min, $9/750mb of data=$11/1gb or $15 base/$10/1GB)
  • $25/$35 plan.......unlimited SMS/MMS texts and minutes, 3GB of data ($15 base plan/$20/3GB =$6.33/1GB)
  • $30/$40 plan.......unlimited SMS/MMS texts and minutes, 5GB of data ($15 base plan/$25/5GB =$5/1GB)
  • $40/$50 plan.......unlimited SMS/MMS texts and minutes, 10GB of data ($15 base plan/$35/10GB =$3.50/1GB ) **recent legacy plan includes unlimited US calling minutes
  • $50/$60 plan.......unlimited SMS/MMS texts and minutes, 15GB of data ($15 base plan/$45/15GB =$3/1GB) **recent legacy plan includes unlimited US calling minutes (*$60 plan no longer offered)
  • $60/$70 plan.......unlimited SMS/MMS texts and minutes, 20GB of data ($15 base plan/$55/20GB =$2.75/1GB)**recent legacy plan includes unlimited US minutes

This is the pricing for "3G" plans. Depending how you price the addition of features on the $10/30 Day plan will change the price per 1GB. The removal of unlimited calling to the US actually increased the price per 1GB on the higher data plans. The $25 plan has a higher price per 1GB than the $15 plan comparitively if the $15 base plan includes texts/minutes but no data).

@Jboeringa We all have been asking the same question,  I guess CRTC has been doing a "great" job in "protecting" our wireless world.. LoL..

Jboeringa

But if I cross the border, I could get the same plan for half the price. How does that make sense?

@Jboeringa but buying more is always cheaper.. Remember there are base cost to have the line active even you don't use anything.  It is always cheaper pee Gb for higher price plan

Jboeringa

So why have plans that do not scale up for amount of gb/$? How is it that getting 2 gb is $37 and 10Gb is 60? 5x the amount of data for $23 more a month... But should it not be the othet way around? Less for less i thought?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Geez.... I take a day off to do other things and and never fails Public Mobile makes a big announcement well sort of big except they didn't announce that they had eliminated the $55 student plan nor did they pin the announcement to the landing page for even a day did they? I've been fooled by this before and even today before I posted I looked back through a day and a half of posts and nothing I saw indicated that the $55 plan had been eliminated or I would have just posted in this thread?

The other noticeable thing is I just about took a double take when I looked at who posted this announcement? Is @Tiana_V back at public mobile? I personally would like to extend a warm welcome back toTiana if that's the case?!!👍😃🎊🙏🎉🤪🤟

@srlawren 

I had one other reason than credit check for trying to get that $55/20GB plan here - the ability to suspend it when not needed. My cell phone data needs are varying greatly from month to month, and since plan data is generally cheaper than add-ons I have two PM plans that I use for data only to hot spot off, when I need it. And then suspend them when I get by on my "normal" allotment. Alas, apparently more GB for less money and on 4G was not meant to be for the bigger one of them.

@dabr wrote:

@wetcoaster     Yes, I wouldn't hold my breath either and @computergeek541 might be correct about it being an out of date banner ad.  I thought I would see if it would actually bring up the "sweet deal" plan by clicking Change Plan from the offer.  That option just took me to the Plans page with only a choice of the current available plans.  So it's just another misleading (false?) bit of advertising from PM which seems to have become rather common lately.

dabr_0-1664930787242.png

Not long ago, there was a banner ad in Self Serve that appears to have been a new customer offer for $5 off a plan for 3 "months".  Public Mobile did have a similar promotion at one point for that.  I haven't heard of any existing customer actually receiving that $5 off.

@wetcoaster     Yes, I wouldn't hold my breath either and @computergeek541 might be correct about it being an out of date banner ad.  I thought I would see if it would actually bring up the "sweet deal" plan by clicking Change Plan from the offer.  That option just took me to the Plans page with only a choice of the current available plans.  So it's just another misleading (false?) bit of advertising from PM which seems to have become rather common lately.

dabr_0-1664930787242.png

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Seems they randomly decided the price for those plans without looking around. 

2GB for $37.50 / 4GB $41.25 = $3.75 difference for +2GB
4GB $41.25 / 6GB $45 = $3.75 difference for +2GB
6GB $45 / 8GB $55 = $10 difference for +2GB, huh? 
8GB $55 / 10GB $60 = $5 difference for +2GB

Data is usually cheaper as you pay more. At this rate, there are much better plans available elsewhere. 
PM did the best move by offering 4G plans and created a big difference between Lucky and Chatr. However, the current 4G plans are not so enticing for new customers. I suggest they add a low data plan such as 1GB at 4G for $30 or less which would be appealing to many customers that do not want any 3G plan. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

These plans seem identical to the $55, $60, and $65 "bring your own phone" post-paid plans at Koodo.  The difference is that with Koodo, you get VoLTE, VoWiFi, Call Control, international roaming, phone tabs, and I'm sure I've missed a few things.  EDIT--also: ability to bundle with Telus home internet/tv services to save even more, option to use Stream+ subscription bundle, and so on. 

Honestly unless you can't pass a credit check, there's almost no reason to get one of these plans at PM over their Koodo post-paid counterparts.  Very strange move.

EDIT: Okay I guess there's the reward points as well. I'm not too familiar with the current rewards system so I'll just say that if the stated $8.25 / $9 / $9.75 per month value is to be taken at face value, that does make these plans more affordable at $46.75 /  $51 / $55.25 per month.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@dabr 

Thanks for mentioning that - I'll try to remember to monitor the account around next renewal. But I don't keep my hopes up.

@dabr wrote:

@wetcoaster    Perhaps you'll get lucky and once the account is suspended you'll see "a sweet deal" for the now discontinued plan, that is unless your scheduled plan change is successful at renewal.   That offer is available on my suspended account right now.  Unfortunately, I don't need that much data for that account but it's a pretty good plan for those who do.

I don't see those as targetted offers that you see when logging into your Self Serve account. It's more likely to be an out-of-date banner ad.

@wetcoaster    Perhaps you'll get lucky and once the account is suspended you'll see "a sweet deal" for the now discontinued plan, that is unless your scheduled plan change is successful at renewal.   That offer is available on my suspended account right now.  Unfortunately, I don't need that much data for that account but it's a pretty good plan for those who do.

@dust2dust 

In my time here (5+ years), and between all the accounts that I help manage, I have scheduled more than two dozen plan changes at renewal, multiple of them to plans that were no longer available once renewal actually rolled around, all went through flawlessly.

This is the first time that I don't have proof that I actually went through all the steps (which I did), and sure enough it's the time that I would need the documentation. Luckily it's one of my personal secondary accounts, so it was more of a "nice to have at a reasonably good price" (that would stay suspended if not needed) and not crucial for someone on a tight budget that needs the best bang for the buck for as much data as they get their hands on.

If not honoring these plan changes is indeed a general policy change at Public Mobile I'll have a keen eye on those second tier Black Friday offers that, hopefully, are around the corner. The old rewards program would be the only thing left that still has me putting up with the continually diminishing voice call connection quality in the corner I need it most. Time to look into provider's VoLTE offerings, since it's likely not coming here anytime soon...

Need Help? Let's chat.