cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Re: NEW $70 for 15GB Plan

@Pawprints1986 

See this is the generational difference in data usage and location.....Vancouver vs Sudbury.

@BearFBI 

You need more of this.....😃

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Get-outside/m-p/686346#M14108

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious said "See this is the generational difference in data usage and location.....Vancouver vs Sudbury."

Actually thats a good point. We have a strong internet infrastructure up here but we have way less public WiFi hotspots. Also I do a lot of fishing, hiking, biking, etc. I'm probably in the bush more than people down south because were surrounded by bush lol. 

And, I'm always outside.... probaly why I'm seeking for more data. I can't stand staying inside on a hot summer day. 

I'm inside after the sun sets and I sit back and watch a moive. Probably why my Wifi data usage is so high. I direct play from the plex server instead of transcode too. The 4k streams can pull anywhere from 30-80Mbps. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon wrote:

Using a lot of data comes down to watching videos. If you have no interest in watching videos on the cellular network, 1-2GB a month is generally enough for most people.

@sheytoon I think streaming audio could do it too, if you do enough of it.  Many of the younger generation(s) stream a lot of content while out and about.  Depending on quality settings, Spotify can apparently use between 10 MB and 150 MB per hour (according to this article from last fall https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/How-Much-Data-Does-Spotify-Use-Canada).  If you add that up over a month, it could be a fairly substantial amount on the higher quality settings.  And some services now offer lossless quality settings, which I'm confident would use up quite a bit more with lesser psychoacoustic compression.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI 

Lol....good point although when I am outside I'm usually only using my phone to listen to music and take photos. Would love to see some of yours when/in you "Get Outside!"

@srlawren 

Lol....good point. When I had the RBC promo with the $40/plan I would listen to youtube music to burn thru my unused data but I don't stream music like many others do.....pay and pay again thru data usage?!! But I have a friend who keeps the $40 plan so he can listen to sirius radio on his phone which did amaze me how much data that could use.

On another note I finally figured ot how to download my playlists from my tablet onto a micro sd card so I can free up a little more storage on my 16GB A3 by deleting the music in my samsung music app and still listen to the same library and add to it now that I'm not constrained by the storage limit on my phone.

Pawprints1986
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sheytoon I thought as of now that calls are over 4g? Or is lte also 4g but a different kind of band? 

For example, when I put my phone on wcdma only, my data icon says 4g, where as to select all networks it turns into an lte icon. But are they both 4g?

A small part of me kind of hates the idea of wcdma ever totally going away... I'm afraid to say why though out of fear of judgment lol. 

As others have mentioned, my home WiFi dates usage is definitely much higher than my 2gb cell data lol. But I do make that point to download at home first if I need video on the go for any reason. Tedious yet cheaper ? But I do tend to largely prefer tv sized screens for tv type things. I'll wait till I get home to watch whatever it was, if I don't forget lol

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 

UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA is 3G, even if your phone shows a 4G icon. LTE is real 4G. See here for the history and source of confusion:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/1305...

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I think the New $70 Plan is an Ok plan, BUT I still think PM needs to do better, and the 3G Speeds being quite laughable in today's definition, just feel PM can do a lot better, like PM needs to really reconsider resuscitating LTE Speeds at some point, as 5G coming into the picture more, and not even sure if PM will enjoy 5G even.

Also, with the CRTC MVNO ruling, plus the Shaw/Rogers thing, Freedom Mobile not participating in the 5G Spectrum frequency Auction, feel that this is not good enough, that PM could surely and Certainly MUST do better, as we pay so much as it is, feel that surely PM could possibly and must surely have more to offer beyond the 3G speeds and surely could offer perhaps even a halfway point between the 3G and LTE speeds, and also maybe even more.

Like, take Mint Mobile, though it's US, the concept is similar to PM in Online support, plus their plans are Similar, not price as ones USD and PM being CAD, but Mint has more options available.

Surely Telus should show by example that the Current Status Quo is not Doable and requires a Revolutionary Injection of new Ideas, different principles, different Mindset, Newer Ideas.

The Current system is like, take the USS Enterprise, how in ST: III Search for Spock, how one said, Jim, the Enterprise is 20 years Old, we feel that her day is Over.

Just saying, the Older System perhaps is obsolete, Antiquated, and requires a New Star Ship.

Maybe Telus could try to take the plunge to start perhaps its own Great Experiment, something bold, new, untried, and prove that there's always something we can do better, that we can learn new tricks

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Also, what would give PM some quality, if they actually had VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling, Visual VM, Resuscitating the 90 Days Cycle, even adding more Countries to the Roaming list once the Planet is safe for Traveling when the Pandemic is finally vanquished

I feel that PM should actually focus on options like these and not too much on Plans, as I feel like it's more gimmick than problem-solving

Hoping that there are people who are not thinking cheap is good, as when that happens, we end up with these that are not exactly supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Again my opinions and thoughts, just saying again as this is by far uncharted watery times

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

I agree.  If I am paying $70, actually anything over $50, other than the data limit, I will request a more decent service as mentioned above:  LTE service, VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling and Visual VM.  Add to the list, if I am paying that month monthly, I likely would also want a true Long Distance call service other than the short list PM has.  Also, a true overview roaming.  

Again, if I am paying $50 over, there are all the choices out there which can provide me the proper mobile service.   The reason I am here is that I have a $25 plan that no Tier 2 or Tier 1 provider has.  I am willing to sacrifice a bit to get the better rate.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

One thing to keep in mind is the “No Credit Check” side of PM. Yes there are better alternatives for higher GB plans available to most of us but many cant get conventional cell service due to bad credit. Thus this gives them an option. It also gives me or others like me a viable choice since I would never want a 15 GB plan on an ongoing basis but I might want one for a month or two. So with this ho hum option I don't have to port out, lose all my perks and then port back in starting over at PM. So it is a viable option for some circumstances.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.