Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW $70 for 15GB Plan

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

Starting June 17, 2021, we are introducing a new $70 15GB plan!

What does this mean for you? 

For a limited time, existing customers can change their rate plan to the following:

• $70 per 30 days
  • 15GB + 500MB BONUS data at 3G speed (per 30 days)
  • 500MB BONUS data when you sign up for AutoPay (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and U.S minutes
  • Unlimited International Text

Important things to know: 

• Bonus data will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed.
  • Previous promotions that have been applied to the account that have been indicated as ‘non-stackable’ will be removed when you switch to this plan. To see if a promotion you currently have applied to your account is ‘non-stackable’ please check the terms of that specific promotion.

How to get this offer: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$70 for 15GB + 500MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

142 REPLIES 142

.. that's even better.. i guess i got mixed up with the 1 or 2 year special pricing with contract

just reading something today.. Father's day special .. 13GB for $45 for 12 months and $55 after.. even the regular price is decent (of course the special price is better  🙂 )  so, no need to go with 15GB for $70.. 

another one 10GB for $35 the first year and $45 after.. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@softech wrote:

@srlawren  no, i am not even talking about those hardward contract.. i am just talking about those BYOD plans.. 

@softech there's no contracts for regular rate plan with any Canadian carrier--you can cancel at any time. 

EDIT: fixed typo... there's "no contracts", not "no contacts"

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

The only thing innovational lately was ill-fated Provincial Callings.. PM thought they could create a trend out of it.. they withdrew.

Here's an innovative thought for them  ... lead the pack by raising your customer reviews to 3.5.    

Ten minutes ago I got a text from PM with a phone number for  unresolved complaints . WTH

Here's a thought to manage by .... if you do a good job for your customers there will be no unresolved complaints !!    🙄

oh yes.. the $70 plan was just a copy and paste from Lucky and Chatr.

I notice that PM has been in a position to just respond to its competitors lately.  When they have new promotion, then PM follows, same with plans. 

The only thing innovational lately was ill-fated Provincial Callings.. PM thought they could create a trend out of it.. they withdrew.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I just happened to have a few minutes to spare working on my house to see if public was doing anything different. Wow. Just wow. The might have fallen with this and the province wide thing. I agree with everything everyone have said here. What they should be focusing on is improving the self serve page to be easier to use and not have so many different tabs. It should be condensed by different sections. Billing. Plan. Add ons. Account. Which would simplify the website and easier to find what you want and not be distracted by all the other tabs. Or they could also try to offer this plan at a lower price. Or they could implement add ons that are only for the specific higher priced plans that you can get unlimited data for an extra x of dollars as an add on. That's with me just thinking about this for a couple minutes while the marketing team have weeks to think. It's as if PM doesn't care about it's customers any more @J_PM  

fujiyama

This is certainly unexpected but there must be a demand for them to release this so... Nice! lol

Now that they've used the "let's beat our most expensive plan" idea, I hope they go the other way and also beat the cheapest plan: $10 plan anyone? 👻

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo wrote:

I would:

• get rid of 500 min Canada wide and introduce $20 base unlimited talk text no data. 
  • Introduce expiring data add-ons  say after 90 days

I certainly hope PM doesn't go this route, as noted by Z10user4, only PM and Koodo have non-expiring add-ons and that it is one of the most attractive thing going for this budget carrier (plus rewards, of course) compared to the competition.   Plus would that mean that anyone on the $10/15 plans would no longer be able to add mins/data as they needed?

Not everyone needs or is interested in having unlimited mins and I would think the $25 plan with 1GB data along with unlimited talk/text would be the better value plan than one that costs a mere $5 less for unlimited talk/text only.  JMO..

I do agree with everyone that this latest offer is probably less than ideal for anyone looking into budget plans/carriers and is probably likely to be either updated (hopefully) or removed before long anyways...

hopefully they decide to increase the throttle limit. I'm still pushing 21mb not the 3mb

*nvm I'm still at full speed 100+

barndoor

@darlicious wrote:

I suggest they fire the marketing team and listen to their customers. 

If that's not what i said it's what I meant . 😄

It would be nice if they  took some of the resources spent on developing a plan like this and improved some of the system interactions with current customers.

@barndoor 

I don't think there would be much improvement given the resources pm spent on coming up with this plan. I suggest they fire the marketing team and listen to their customers. Public mobile used to regularily ask for feedback from the community and implement changes based on those opinions. Ever since those almost monthly threads have basically disappeared and they have relied on their marketing team they have come up with whole lotta "What the......?!!"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo : That's a big fat negatory no no no to expiring add-ons. This place and Koodo are the only ones that I know of that don't expire. Don't even think of such heresy. 🙂

And Public Mobile did do an attempt to lead a while ago. Remember the provincial plans debacle? A half-hearted attempt at following was made but it all got shelved in the end.

barndoor

@mimmo wrote:

What plans would people have pm offer?   

I'm on a plan that is perfect for me now  ... so what can I say ... if they want me to stay a customer for sure its not a plan change  that needs to happen  ... it's  fixes to customer service . Looking at the customer  service ratings of  Canadian telecom companies as a whole, that is also one of the offerings that may even bring in the most new customers  instead of focusing on trying to compete in the slimy telecom retail market in a big way . 

mimmo

@gpixel  thanks  for the info re chatr,  if it's good enough for chatr it's good enough for pm.  Wish they started putting competitive response in announcements again. 

If we want to see better plans at PM we need to encourage lucky or chatr for an innovative plan, the PM marketing team seems really good at copying and pasting...  That being said it's always easier to criticize then create.  What plans would people have pm offer?   Remembering pm is here to make money not just give away service.

I would:

• get rid of 500 min Canada wide and introduce $20 base unlimited talk text no data. 
  • Introduce expiring data add-ons  say after 90 days

barndoor

Lol ... lots of judgement here about  the potential success of the plan .  Keep in mind that it is those that purchase a plan like this that keep the prices low for the rest of us at the low use end of the scale . 

It would be nice if they  took some of the resources spent on developing a plan like this and improved some of the system interactions with current customers . But who knows what goes on in the heads of of Canadian telecom company mangement . . I had to chuckle  when I went to check Canadian  company performance  reviews  when @darlicious  dissed my suggestion of  Fido as a reasonable provider . The best one  started at 2.5 and went down from there . Sad really and this plan from my prospective would seem to just be another example of the games they play .

chainsawcowboy

@J_PM 

If I was going to pay that much for data I would want the frills that go with it. Full speed 4G LTE, call centre, unlimited throttled data, voLTE calling etc...

@Beyond wrote:

2GBBONUS Just use this in promo code when you change your plan for free 2Gb bonus

That doesn't work. Current customers don't get the bonus 2GB.

Beyond
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

2GBBONUS Just use this in promo code when you change your plan for free 2Gb bonus

Beyond
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

2GBBONUS For free 2Gb of bonus data

$70 a month is insane on a discount brand, or any brand for that matter!

chatr has had this plan for over a month now. im surprised pm didn't offer it sooner. I guess it's Lucky's turn to lead the pack on the next promo/offer. public already lead the pack with the 10gb plan

they are a Trinity/pyramid. they are one...

@J_PM 

Well this promotion is a whole lotta disappointment....it's poorly priced at $70. As already mentioned it would be more appealing at $60 and then it would be welcomed by those who need a larger data plan.

The timing of it's marketing is odd as well given the current promotion available until June 30th when using the promocode 2GBBONUS on $35+ plans that adds 2gb of monthly plan data. When compared to the $50/10.5gb plan w/2gb bonus=12.5gb to spend $20 more for $70/15.5gb or 17.5gb if the 2GBBONUS can be applied to this limited time offer.

When you look at the breakdown of cost per GB of data the numbers are revealing....

Plan cost          Reg data plan/+2gb bonus    Reg plan(-$15)/+2gb bonus

$70                            $4.51/$4                                   $3.66/$3.14

$50                           $4.76/$4                                   $3.33/$2.80

$40                            $8/$5.70                                       $5/$3.57

$35                           $11.61/$7                                    $6.66/$4

$25                            $25/ n/a                                       $10/ n/a

($15 subtracted to reflect the $10 base plan and $5 for calling and texting)

When you upgrade your plan the price per GB decreases except for the new $70/15.5gb plan. The extra data costs $5/gb for the $35 plan, $2.50/gb for $40 plan,$1.81/gb for$50 plan but costs $4/gb for the $70 plan and even if priced at $60 it's $2/gb. The $10 extra between the $40 and $50 plan not only includes 5.5gb of data but unlimited US calling which when factoring in it's value makes the $1.81/gb price even cheaper.

I think I know now why this is a limited time offer.....just like the provincial calling plans and the limited time $5 off canada wide calling plans. Back to the drawing board for the marketing team!

@srlawren  no, i am not even talking about those hardward contract.. i am just talking about those BYOD plans.. 

Spudster

@J_PM 

👎

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM 

Not even close to a worthy addition to the selection of plan offerings.

C'mon Public Mobile, you GOTTA do better than that!!!

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Like most of you said, this plan doesn't seem to be worth it. Not sure what marketing team is thinking. They might have pulled some data of customers leaving PM and joining Telus or other brands for plans with more data then what PM offered. In any case, PM should be keeping their price lower than other tiers above them. Different story if they were offering with full LTE and VoLTE that you can get elsewhere for less than $70. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This offering completely misses the mark.  This service is most used by frugal customers who are not in need of huge data buckets and expensive plans.  For the select few who are, there are certainly better options out there that cost less for the same features.  

srlawren

@softech wrote:

It's true those other plans might lock you in a  contract , but they offer 4G + VoLTE.   

@softech not really any more.  If you purchase hardware through the provider on a monthly payment plan, then you're contractually obligated to that part and would have to pay off any remaining device balance if/when you cancel (which is fair--if I closed my account at my bank I wouldn't expect them to let me keep the car or house I financed through them without paying it off); however, you can cancel the service at any time without penalty.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Love to see PM with more different plans.   But $70 for 15GB.. would love to see PM does better than this.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM 

It's great news that we are finally getting new bigger plans. Great move forward

Are you sure it's not typo?

I truly have feeling it should be $60.

Would win lots of kids over with that.

BearFBI

Woah just logged into the foum and saw this. I was not expecting this of PM. 

I dont really find this seeking popularity. An extra 5GB for 20$ more than the 50$ plan, really ? The big 3 can offer this for the same price with unlimited data and 4G speeds. 

Would work if 10$ or more was shaved off the price. 

Need Help? Let's chat.