cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More kiosks are opening near you! Check them out.

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

It’s official! More Public Mobile Kiosks are headed your way on June 11th, 12th and 13th. Just like before, they’ll feature our signature look & feel, as well as a charge station powered by our bike. Cool right?

If you have a location near you, we highly encourage you to check them out and bring some of your friends too!

Where are your kiosks and when exactly are they opening?

Opening Date

Metropolis (Burnaby, British Columbia)

June 11th, 2019

Promenades Cathedrale (Montreal, Quebec)

June 12th, 2019

Carrefour Angrignon (Lasalle, Quebec)

Place Vertu (Saint Laurent, Quebec)

June 13th, 2019

Centre Laval (Laval, Quebec)

-Public Mobile Community Team

62 REPLIES 62

Klane
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Still none in Ontario So still no PM near me !!!

Milk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

OK ...that sounds interesting but why does PM feel them necessary? Would the cost required  to maintain and staff these un-necessary kiosks not eventually add to the cost of plans?

jonathanlee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Saw both of them actually. It would be cool if there were more coming closer to where I live. The design, regardless, is quite cool!

@jonathanleeThere is one in Metrotown and the other in Richmond Centre

jonathanlee

Any kiosks opening in Vancouver/North Vancouver?

@stonechucker wrote:

Why Toronto, there’s a whole lot more of Ontario than Toronto.  Still nothing in Ontario.

Lol.... that’s what the rest of Canada says about Toronto!!

@RossN wrote:

I wonder if the charger is throttled like thier speeds Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Yes but it’s “unlimited” like their talk and text!

Aquamann
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I guess it's going to be awhile yet b4 u set up a kiosk in Calgary AB?

Jdmom3

Exciting news. Since joining, 3 months ago, I have told a lot of people about the great service. They plan on coming once their contracts with their companies are done. 

@AnonymousI would guess the cost will be very minimal.. they could have outsourced the operation. I think the limitation of kiosks probably have to do with the retail mix of malls that Public is interested in (more foot traffice means high probabilty of recruitment but telecom quota has already been reached for malls that have attractive foot traffic) more than anything. in the end, wireless space is getting saturated.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

I still wonder about the costs of these things themselves and the staffing costs and space rent in malls. Costs mean rising rates. I'm not sure I like it.

I imagine the idea/hope is that these kiosks increase the number of subscribers so they they generate enough revenue to cover their costs. I guess the nice thing with a kiosk like this if one isn't successful in a specific location it should be relatively easy to pack it up and move it somewhere else. At least easier than an actual store.

Now it would be nice if we got one in Ottawa. There seems like a ton of vacant retail space here. 

Pizzapans

Nothing planned for London or Kitchener?

Pizzapans

I lived in Toronto for a year. It's funny. If you live there long enough you can easily get the idea that it's somewhere near the center. Lol

v2131111

@leocao727 wrote:

I just transfer one line from Fido to Lucky on last Sunday.

Thanks for letting us know.      

I ate food this morning & will eat again tonight. Just thought I would let everyone know. LoL

sunflowershine

Great! There is one in Burnaby...

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@leocao727 wrote:

Okay, but how is that related to Public Mobile?

leocao727
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hmm maybe Toronto isn,t the centre of the universe after all 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

Why Toronto, there’s a whole lot more of Ontario than Toronto.  Still nothing in Ontario.

@dna2016 wrote:

@Alan_K  really nice to see the new additions, can't wait to see more and more of these, and less and less of the Walmarts.

Is there a particular reason why there's nothing in Toronto yet?  I would assume you are establishing these kiosks in the high traffic volume areas first where PM generates the most revenue.  I'm guessing Toronto isn't high on that revenue list?  Or maybe they are so high you're looking to have an actual retail store front for Toronto.  I just find that a bit interesting. 

Can one buy SIM's at the Telus office tower in downtown Toronto?

I still wonder about the costs of these things themselves and the staffing costs and space rent in malls. Costs mean rising rates. I'm not sure I like it.

@dna2016 wrote:

@Alan_K  really nice to see the new additions, can't wait to see more and more of these, and less and less of the Walmarts.

Is there a particular reason why there's nothing in Toronto yet?  I would assume you are establishing these kiosks in the high traffic volume areas first where PM generates the most revenue.  I'm guessing Toronto isn't high on that revenue list?  Or maybe they are so high you're looking to have an actual retail store front for Toronto.  I just find that a bit interesting. 

dna2016

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Still none in the Greater Toronto Area.

I wonder if the charger is throttled like thier speeds Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Tiprix

Charging power station sounds interesting, I wonder if anyone had the chace to try one and see how much time/rpm it takes to power up their phone.

SomeFriend

Metropolis is the location near me, anything happening at the kiosk today?  If it gets interesting, I might drop by!

Wow, that a lot for the Montreal area 🙂

@MandyJRetail spaces especially in malls are strange beasts.. a lot of them mantain a mix of stores.. eg 30% must be telecomm places.. once places are established (and often by chains), they are not likely give up space for others for competitive reasons.. since Public is a relatively new comer.. it is not a space they can do that easily.

MandyJ

Our definitions of "near you" clearly differ (hahaha, just kidding) ... 

Anyway, great to hear new kiosks are opening up! And the bike-powered charging stations sound so cool!

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Awesome.... 

Show some love for SW Ontario - forget the GTA.  So many retailers selling the SIMs and offering vouchers, smaller towns need some Kiosk love too!

Need Help? Let's chat.