Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lunar New Year Offer

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited on Feb 22, 2021 - Offer entry extended to Feb 28, 2021]

Hey Community! 

To celebrate Lunar New Year, for a limited time only, Public Mobile customers can get a 1GB data bonus every month for 8 months, plus a one-time add on of 500 China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau long distance minutes on select plans. 

Offer Details:

• Offer applies to the $25, $35, $40, $45 and $50 plans.
  • 500 minutes Long Distance Add-on is a one-time add on, and applies to the following locations: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau.

How to Get this Offer: 

1. Submit your email address here before Feb 28, 2021, 11:59PM EST
  2. Once your email address has been successfully submitted, you will receive a confirmation email with a promo code.
  3. Activate on an eligible plan online or in-store with the promo code before March 6, 2021, 11:59PM EST to redeem this offer.

How to Activate:

1. If you need to purchase a SIM card, click here to order a SIM card online through Public Mobile. Your SIM card will be shipped within 3 to 7 business days (please expect a longer shipping time due to COVID-19 measures). You can also order your SIM card through Amazon, and choose your shipping speed. Alternatively, you can purchase a SIM card by locating a retailer near you. 
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca to activate online, or activate in-store
  3. Bonus data and one-time add-on will be automatically applied to eligible rate plans within 30 days of activating, and for 8 months after activation.

Good to know:

• Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle. 
  • This offer is not stackable with other in-market offers.
  • This offer is subject to change without notice.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

133 REPLIES 133

@carlaspapa wrote:

Didn't they have a better offer last year?

Around this time last year, there was a promotion offer that included a temporary monetary plan discount.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Didn't they have a better offer last year?

@prachiparamita wrote:

Is this for new customers only  or existing customers can avail this offer as well?

@prachiparamita @MoreYummy 

New activations only. 

However, existing customers can get this offer if they activate new Sim card/account.  

@prachiparamita wrote:

Is this for new customers only  or existing customers can avail this offer as well?

New customers only. 

prachiparamita
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

any offer fore existing customers?

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nice!

SAM-A
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank You, Korth!

Appreciate your understanding.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@SAM-A wrote:

Is this valid for existing customers?

This is still a good question.

The usual "new customers only" seems implied. But it's not explicitly stated. Probably just an oversight. But possibly an offer which is also available for existing customers.

SAM-A

There is no harm in asking. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SAM-A wrote:

Any offer existing customers?

Thank you!

@SAM-A : The free Xmas gifts weren't enough for ya?

SAM-A

Is this valid for existing customers?

Thank you!

The churn can be reduced if they make it immediately clear in Self-Serve what the conditions, duration, and limitations will be. As in, some kind of in-your-face message like "changing your plan now will disqualify you from getting the rest of your signup bonus data" or whatever.

And if they perhaps send SMS notifications every month which remind you that you got (or will get) that bonus data by sticking with the plan. Because too many people set up AutoPay and never bother to login Self-Serve again - unless there's a problem.

And if they perhaps send private messages to the linked Community account (if there is one) with the same information. Maybe overkill but automated messages cost nothing.

If PM basically takes away the customer's ability to "accidentally" (unknowingly) abandon the promo conditions, and if PM keeps the customer updated with promo details/status (instead of forcing the customer to remember and do math and stuff, lol) then the only ways left to "lose" the promo data are to intentionally ignore the warnings or to stick around long enough for it to expire. (And I'd bet that few of these customers would run off the moment their promo deal expires if PM just happens to send them a one-time "hope you stay" gift of 2GB just before the last renewal.)

@darlicious wrote:

@PM-Questions 

I have to agree with @jivetalker 's assessment that for $25/2gb is pretty sweet for 8 months. If you are a fairly low user and can switch to the $15 plan with 1.25gb of data!

I wouldn't be excited about this plan even if it were a permanent 2GB for $25. There are ways to get that much data with talk and text for $27 but get full LTE speeds elsewhere (on a full national cellular network).  There's room for improvement in Public Mobile's plans.

@PM-Questions 

I have to agree with @jivetalker 's assessment that for $25/2gb is pretty sweet for 8 months. If you are a fairly low user and can switch to the $15 plan with 1.25gb of data!

@darlicious wrote:

Admittedly it might be nice for customers who sign up for this promotion who really cannot use the very specific long distance minutes to be able to opt for a default long distance add on of the main multiple country long distance add on similar to what was included in the "more the merrier" campaign's holiday give aways.

I'll go a step further. It shouldn't even be possible for someone to have or purchase the wrong long distance add-on to call any specific destination. My opinion has always been that there should only be one long ditsance add-on available.  Depending on the location being called, the add-on can have a credit system and calls to certain destinations can be weighted. Having multiple add-ons in the way that Public Mobile does is not a benefit to the customers and only makes it so that customers potentially need to buy more than one.

PM-Questions

Thanks @darlicious! That’s how I read it too, was hoping I was wrong lol 

@PM-Questions 

No....the 1gb bonus per month is plan data not add on data. Although this has not been clarified the terms and conditions of the promotion do not mention rate plan changes so it appears you could change your monthly plan and keep the promotion. The long distance minutes are an add on so they will stay with the account until completely used up.

PM-Questions

Does the unused data roll over until used as well? Does the 8gb remain after a rate change? 

@Quyra 

Public mobile did offer a "Diwali" sweet deal of an extra 1gb of plan data for 6 months and 750 long distance minutes to India, sri lanka and Pakistan ( I think those were the countries.)

I think these are a nice touch to highlight and celebrate the many different cultures that make up our great multicultural society in Canada. Admittedly it might be nice for customers who sign up for this promotion who really cannot use the very specific long distance minutes to be able to opt for a default long distance add on of the main multiple country long distance add on similar to what was included in the "more the merrier" campaign's holiday give aways.

Any comment @Catherine_T ?

@kaytus 

@kaytus wrote:

So this Offer for the new activation customer only, right?

Have a wonderful weekend.

Correct, for new activation of account to qualify.  

jivetalker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Seems to me this is a pretty sweet deal if you pick the $25 plan for 2gb of data. But not really for the $50 plan. I'm glad I signed up when I did.

kaytus
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

So this Offer for the new activation customer only, right?

Have a wonderful weekend.

Quyra

I guess this is for “Lunar New Year” so the promo offer is to give minutes to Asian countries. When it was a festival for a different culture, they match the minutes to that culture? 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

This is a sweet deal for new customers.

@BasesLoadedWalk 

OMG....really? By omission you are saying no one but those of asian descent would want to call China, Macao, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Not only are they major centres of business with many Canadian connections there is also the colonial history of occupation by the British and the Portugese. Your comment is incendiary and not helpful in the context of the community and its purpose.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know about you but I'm of the human race. Pretty sure the rest of us apes are too.

So the Diwali promo a while ago will have been the same thing then? That was minutes to India or something.

The whole overwhelming onslaught of the late December partying isn't enough balance for you?

Would you pony up the costs of said lawsuit? Expect a big cash payout to recover the initial outlay?

This can't be serious.

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I find this offer is discriminatory against those of non-Asian race. This offer should include long distance minutes to anywhere in the world. By limiting this offer to only China, it unfairly benefits a certain race, and as such is illegal discrimination of those of other races and nationalities. Telus is opening themselves up for a discrimination lawsuit.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

I wonder this is only for new customer ?

It is only for new account activations, but tthe fact that you're asking is the point that I was trying to make earlier.

It is a good point, @computergeek541 .   The use of the term "Public Mobile customers" suggests those who currently are in receipt of Public Mobile service.

The promotion currently worded as:  "To celebrate Lunar New Year, for a limited time only, Public Mobile customers can...",  should read as,   "To celebrate Lunar New Year, for a limited time only, prospective Public Mobile customers can..." 

Or simply, "To celebrate... if you activate a new Public Mobile account you can..."

@dlambro wrote:

If someone entered their email address for the 1 month free and 5gb add on (prior promo) and hasn't activated yet (as the terms say need to activate by Feb 8th), can they also receive this Lunar New year offer?  If my dad activates the plan next week, say $25/m plan, will he receive the  $25 credit, plus 5bg data add on, plus this extra 1 gb/month for 8 months?  

Sorry, but this announcement says that:

• "This offer is not stackable with other in-market offers."
Need Help? Let's chat.