cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rdasm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Limited time only: 500MB/ 30 day Bonus Data on select 3G data plans!

I dont have much use for LTE speeds so I changed my plan to $40 starting this month. And I think its brilliant.

danlee
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I noticed PM still offers 3G data, how is the speed compare to 4G?  

JL9
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey @danlee

This link is a pretty good source. It should answer your questions. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/3G-vs-LTE/td-p/248442

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@danlee wrote:

I noticed PM still offers 3G data, how is the speed compare to 4G?  

In "real life", 3g data speeds are actually quite sufficient for most tasks. If you are dowloading/uploading large files, or a lot of files then you will see a big advantage with LTE speeds. You will also notice buffering when streaming 4k video. But for every day tasks like browsing, checking email, facebook, etc. 3g compares favorably to LTE. I have also streamed live sporting events using the TSN website, and it performs flawlessly. I actually do not notice any difference in my web-browsing on 3g or LTE. One thing to note, Public Mobile isn't true 3g. It is LTE throttled to 3 mbps. For practical purposes this means that because Public Mobile 3g actually runs on the LTE network, it doesn't suffer the extreme latency of true 3g. 

GC

David01
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Got the 6+500MB plan. Love it!! 

Tags (3)
David01
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Got it! An extra half a gig for free? Not bad PM, not bad at all!! 

Tags (3)
Mriley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

? Last week signed up 2 family members for the 4.5gig $40 plan at Walmart (get free SIM and 2nd sign up referral got $10

credit)

Sadly that plan expired yesterday. 

BUT I just discovered that in a build your own plan I can get 4gig (+.5gig bonus) for $45

Question... can I sign up with a build your own plan at Walmart?Or just premade plans?

Luddite
Oracle

@Mriley Walmart should allow you to "Build your own".  If they don't just buy the SIM and activate it at home.

If you don't need a new account immediately, perhaps wait a few days. PM's new deals seem to come out on Fridays. No guarantee of course.

There's been no announcement of that promo's demise and usually we get at least 1 day's notice.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
julesverne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes. At Walmart you can select a "packaged" plan, OR you can "Build your own" plan.

Note: when the $40 for 4.5gig plan disappeared, so did the free SIM at Walmart.

They now charge $10 again, for the SIM!

.. Andrew

Tags (1)
umarku
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got my sim yesterday and activated it on the $40 for 2.5 gb plan, but when i check my data usage on my phone i only seem to have a limit of 2gb. So wondering what happened to the extra 500mb i was suppose to receive? And i cant check my selfserve account to see what i got if it shows 2.5gb or 2gb as it seems the forget password dont work for my to reset my password to login

Need Help? Let's chat.