cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTEST NOW CLOSED- Let Your Inner Nerd Out, It’s Embrace Your Geekness Day!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

7 - JulyEN (1).png

Somewhere along the line being labelled as a geek became a bad thing. We don’t agree with that and that’s why we’re honoring Embrace Your Geekness Day! Take today to celebrate those hobbies and interests you’re absolutely obsessed with. Whether it’s comic books, computers, romance novels, or bird watching, today is the day for you to do you. Here are a few reasons we think being a geek is great:

1. It Means You’re Passionate About Something

Some people have no hobbies to obsess over! It’s beautiful when you find an interest you could spend endless hours on. 

2. It Means You’re Being True to Yourself

Ever seen those people doing an activity just because it’s seen as the “cool” thing to do? That’s not you. You’re not afraid to stick to your guns and say, “Who cares if I collect socks that were worn by celebrities?” 

3. Geeks Build Amazing Things

The world runs on products that geeks create. Every time people use their phones or laptops they should have to whisper a thank you to the geeks who invent them. 

4. Geeks are Dedicated

If you can put time into your hobby, it shows that you can put time into other areas of your life like work or school. Dedication is the first step to success and geeks are brimming with it.  

So take time today to shout your geekiness from a mountaintop. Plus, if you comment below by 12:00 pm ET on July 19 and tell us what you geek out about the most, we’ll randomly select three winners who will receive a $50 eGift card to Amazon. Hobbies need funding too right? Now go and get your geek on! Contest runs July 12 to July 19, 2019. Read Contest Rules before entering.

Contest Rules

Spoiler

Public Mobile Embrace your Geekness Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

1. HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY
    No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share what they geek out about the most on the Public Mobile Community post. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant.

If your entry contains a person, other than the entrant, by entering the contest, you state that you have obtained consent from everyone in the photo. If your photo contains a minor (under the age of 18) parental or legal guardian consent is required.

Contest runs July 12 to July 19, 2019 at 12:00pm ET.

An Entry will be considered void and removed from the Community post if it contains subject matter that, in the opinion of the contest administrators, may violate community standards or is otherwise of questionable taste.

To be eligible, an entrant must be an existing Public Mobile customer and entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1. THE PRIZE
    There will be three (3) prizes awarded. Each winner will receive the following prize:

One (1) Amazon $50 eGift Card

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile for cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1. THE DRAW
    A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about July 19 at 12:00PM ET by a TELUS representative. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
    In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form. If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded.

2. PRIVACY
    By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation. Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.

1. QUEBEC RESIDENTS

Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.

1. OTHER
    All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified. Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

90 REPLIES 90

@Anonymous 

Nice to find other old phone aficianodos!

Yours is an AE 80 E Touch Call in Antique White. These were the beginning of the end of the well built North American phones. Made from 1975 through 1986. A very nice looking phone in my opinion! I can send you a new bright coloured paper facemat to put under the faceplate to dress it up even further! I have seen people cut out their own face mats or even customize them with pictures under the faceplate.

Phones with mechanical bell ringers and/or rotary dials are really quite popular now. I sell quite a few on Facebook Marketplace.

Terry

AE80E Touch Call with custom gold housing and black accessories.

2F4F64A1-BF67-462C-AD50-339312F52FD9.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

Congratulations to this month's winners - @andreasc , @CrankyAvocado , and @MrRed !!

Special mention goes to @AE_Collector for showing off their amazing phone collection 🙂 

Thanks for sharing what you geek out about!

Hey, I will take “special mention”! My handle, “AE_Collector” references Automatic Electric, the main telephone manufacturer that I collect. All hardwired telephones that I posted pictures of on Page 5 were made by AE and most of them in Canada.

Terry

Early Mobile Phone below:

@AE_Collector 

I have a couple old phones myself. And they still work perfectly fine too. Boy they were

*built* back in the day. Not these flimsy things these days. I like the old real analog bell ring sound. So I have these phones hooked up for the ringer. Well only one right now. This is a picture of my disaster area desk with a more recent phone using it's ringer. And the cheapy cordless that I actually use.

phone.jpg

@Alan_K wrote:

Congratulations to this month's winners - @andreasc , @CrankyAvocado , and @MrRed !!

Special mention goes to @AE_Collector for showing off their amazing phone collection 🙂 

Hey, I will take “special mention”! My handle, “AE_Collector” references Automatic Electric, the main telephone manufacturer that I collect. All hardwired telephones that I posted pictures of on Page 5 were made by AE and most of them in Canada.

Terry

Early Mobile Phone below:

D683C7F3-8652-4887-98B0-914FC3024483.jpeg

@Alan_K wrote:

Congrats to the winners. Does that make you the greatest geeks and nerds of the bunch? 😜

Fun to see all the geeky and nerdy stuff people are into.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrRed wrote:

@Anonymous  a écrit :

How did MrRed win when he has no postings in his profile?

Congrats to the winners though.

@AnonymousI posted in the french community announcement thread!

Oh hey thanks for the explanation. Then it's surprising to me that the profiles aren't linked. I should think all activity should be on the name...not the language.

All kinds of peculiarities around here. 🙂

MrRed
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Anonymous  a écrit :

@AnonymousI posted in the french community announcement thread!

And thanks to PM for the contest!

Congrats to all the winners !

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alan_K wrote:

Alan_K

Alan_K

Thanks for playing everyone, please keep an eye on your PM inbox! 🙂

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LovesToPM wrote:

@MandyJ wrote:

I geek out on simulation games.... of the simple 2D variety. First person/3D stuff tends to be too complex for my little gamer brain, so I tend to stick to my more old school low-key games. I very much appreciate developers who put out new games that fit my old school desires!

Oh My Gad!  MapleStory FTW back in the day.

What’s wrong with still playing it now?  It’s still simple and relaxing to play!

For this, I geek out on playing Maplestory!  🙂

I remember playing dungeons and dragon (D&D) in the basement with my other "cool" guy friends when we were young.  Fun times...  Smiley Happy

demon1102
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I geek out on food....

batumtum
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I geek out on japanese green tea: sencha, matcha, kabusecha, gyokuro... I have to stop myself from going to online tea stores (only ones that source directly from Japan will do). I already have a pantry of several unopened tea packages and still, I can't help searching out for more, especially when harvest season comes around. The mere sight of the unopened packages bring delight because of the anticipation of tasting these teas.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Love math

I guess that makes me a nerd not a geek, but definitely close enough. Most of my friends are geeks though. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

I really enjoy playing (or trying) to play guitar love to fix and build computers! and lately like to answer questions and help out here in the community!!

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Im in!  Smiley Happy

@redtiger7 wrote:

Totally geek out on board games. And comics

yes.....board games  🙂

@Tiprix wrote:

Playing cooking games, reading, and creating excel worksheet for fun.

Aaaahhhhh, spreadsheets   😉

redtiger7

Totally geek out on board games. And comics

Tiprix

Playing cooking games, reading, and creating excel worksheet for fun.

fibi200329

I've been obsessed with mobile phones since smart phones became a thing. Researching all the specs, following new phone released/keynotes, i even got a part time job at a wireless company just for fun!

selva1

I love play video games.

myapplemonkey

I totally love learning about my family history, seeing old photos.  I also spend way too much time looking up stuff for my dog online and then debating whether I should buy it for him or not before finally just splurging in the end.  I love watching Netflix and Prime and would often rather sit in the dark doing that with my dog than socialize with people. 🙂🙂🙂

dschlums

same here, I like keeping my various 10+ year old lenovo laptops running at its best with SSDs, RAM, CPUs, various boot options, heck I even installed XP Mode for nostalgia on top of W7 and ubuntu. can't wait to try the RPi4 as a music server with external DAC & FLAC files feeding my old-school stereo.

dschlums

same here, I like keeping my various 10+ year old lenovo laptops running at its best with SSDs, RAM, CPUs, various boot options, heck I even installed XP Mode for nostalgia on top of W7 and ubuntu. can't wait to try the RPi4 as a music server with external DAC & FLAC files feeding my old-school stereo.

KellyDee

I totally geek out on photos....taking them, scanning old photos, turning slides into digital...I drive my family nuts! Lol 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

I don't know if this qualifies for being geeky/nerdy or not, but I can't think of anything more nerdy than spending hours, actually I'm shocked how many hours I seem to have logged:), online at this community forum reading, learning and trying to help out other newer users:)

Some favourite non-techie games have to be chess, scrabble, crosswords and any word games for that matter.  

Alan_K

@Poogzley wrote:

I love learning how Disney creates Magic in their theme parks! They are extremely well managed and use the latest in special effects tech and have so much history behind them! Smiley Happy

I'm also a Disney nerd and kid at heart Smiley Happy

denis2

I geek out when shopping for whatever, I will search the internet for all reviews possible, I can spend days even weeks researching what I want to buy until I buy it.

Need Help? Let's chat.