cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last day to refer your friends and family and each earn a 1GB add-on!

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Until November 20th, if you refer a friend to Public Mobile, both you and your friend get a one-time 1GB add-on. Refer up to 5 friends and receive five one-time 1GB add-ons! Your friend can also refer 5 friends on top of their 1GB welcome add-on.

Get the full scoop below.

Taking advantage of this promo is easy. Just follow these steps:

As a Public Mobile customer you need to:

1. Be a good pal and refer a friend to Public Mobile.
  2. Tell your friend that they need to successfully activate on a 30 or 90-day plan during the promotional period in order for you and your friend to be eligible for the promotion
  3. Reminder, if you refer a friend you’re also eligible for $1 referral credit off your monthly bill for as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile.

Your friend will need to…

1. Activate a Public Mobile SIM card at activate.publicmobile.ca
  2. Enter your active Public Mobile phone number on the referral page during the activation process. Be sure they enter your number and not their own.

What are the rewards?

The reward you receive depends on whether you are being referred or if you are the person referring.

Referred

What your friend needs to do

What your friend gets

Reward application date

Be referred, enter your (referrer’s) phone number during activation, and activate on a 30 or 90-day plan

One-time 1GB Data Add-On at no charge

Speed of 1GB Add-On depends on the plan that you are on:

• If you’re on a 3G plan you will get a 3G Add-On
  • If you’re on a 4G LTE plan you will get a 4G LTE Add-On
  • If you’re on a plan without data you will get a 4G LTE Add-On
  • The speed of your Add-On will change if you change the plan you are on

Within 72 hours

Referrer

What you need to do

What you get

Reward application date

Refer up to 5 friends  

Up to five, 1GB Data Add-Ons at no charge

Speed of 1GB Add-On depends on the plan that you are on:

• If you’re on a 3G plan you will get a 3G Add-On
  • If you’re on a 4G LTE plan you will get a 4G LTE Add-On
  • If you’re on a plan without data you will get a 4G LTE Add-On
  • The speed of your Add-On will change if you change the plan you are on

Within 72 hours

Click the spoiler tag for FAQ, and terms and conditions.

Spoiler

Refer-a-Friend Promotion FAQs  

• Do these 1GB data Add-Ons expire?

No, the 1GB data Add-Ons do not expire. Any remaining data in your Add-Ons will continue to roll over until used up.

• As a referrer, do I receive one 1GB Data Add-On for every friend?

Yes, you can receive up to five 1GB data Add-Ons for every friend you refer as long as they successfully activate during the promotional period. Please note it may take up to 72 hours before your Add-Ons are  added to your self-serve account. You will receive a text message when your 1GB Add-On is added to your account.

• If I am referred and then I refer a friend or family member am I eligible for both sender and receiver rewards?

Yes, you are. This means that you would receive one 1GB Welcome Data Add-On for being referred, and another 1GB Data Add-On for every friend you refer (up to a max of five 1GB Data Add-ons for five friends referred) who successfully activates during the promotional time period.

• I am a Legacy customer. Am I eligible for these rewards?

Legacy customers are not eligible for the one-time 1GB Add-On offer or loyalty rewards. However, new customers referred by legacy customers are eligible for the one-time 1GB Add-On offer.

To learn more about reward eligibility and rewards, you can visit publicmobile.ca/rewards. If you would like to take advantage of this promotional offer, our support team can help you switch your plan to something that is currently available.

• When does this promotion end?

This promotion will end November 20th, 2017 11:59PM EST.

Terms and Conditions

If you’re a current customer and refer a friend during the promotion:

• You must be an active Public Mobile Pick & Pay customer.
  • TELUS team members, contractors, sales representatives acting on TELUS's behalf and associates at retail locations who receive special pricing are excluded from this promotion.
  • You and your referrals have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
  • You can only refer individuals with whom you have a personal or family relationship to ensure compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation.  You can’t refer yourself or an existing Public Mobile customer.
  • Legacy customers are not eligible for the one time 1GB Add-on offer; however new customers referred by legacy customers are eligible for the one time 1GB Add-on offer.
  • If you refer a friend and they activate during the promotional period, you will receive a one-time 1GB data Add-On up to 72 hours after your referred friend has successfully activated.
  • You receive a one time 1GB Add-on for each friend you refer, up to 5 friends as long as they activate during the promotional period.
  • You will continue to be eligible for the $1/ 30 days referral credit for each month that your referral stays with Public Mobile. All existing Refer-A-Friend rules apply. Check out publicmobile.ca/rewards for more details.

­

If you were referred and activated during the promotion:

• You must activate with Public Mobile.
  • You must input the referral information (referrer’s Public Mobile phone number) during your activation.
  • You and your referrals have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
  • The one-time 1GB data Add-On will be applied to your account up to 72 hours after activation.
  • After activating with Public Mobile you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referrer.

­If you receive a one time 1GB Add-on during the promotion:

• The one-time 1GB data Add-Ons do not expire. Any remaining data in your Add-On(s) will continue to roll over until used up.
  • The speed of the 1GB Add-on that you receive will depend on the plan that you are on.
    • If you’re on a 3G plan you will get a 3G Add-on
    • If you’re on a 4G LTE plan you will get a 4G LTE Add-on
    • If you’re on a plan without data you will get a 4G LTE Add-on
    • The speed of your Add-on will change if you change the plan you are on

OTHER

TELUS assumes no responsibility for lost, delayed, damaged or misdirected referrals or communications or for any failure of the website, for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or referral to be received by TELUS on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to a your (or any other person's) computer related to or resulting from this program. TELUS reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this program should a virus, bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of TELUS, corrupt the security or proper administration of the program or for any other reason. Referrals are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, unintelligible, falsified, altered or tampered with or unlawful in any way. Referrals submitted by unauthorised means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that a referral has been made in a manner not sanctioned by these terms, you and all of you referrals will be disqualified from this program and any referral credits that have been awarded will be deducted. You agree to abide by the terms of this program and the decisions of the TELUS team, which are final. This program is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

TELUS may end the promotion or change any of the terms at any time, without notice and without obligation to award any promotion.

PRIVACY

Your privacy is important to TELUS. We have a long-standing policy of protecting the privacy of our customers in all of our business operations. Please visit telus.com/privacy for more information on the principles that govern the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. These principles reflect our continuing commitment to protecting our customers' privacy.

-Public Mobile Community team

178 REPLIES 178

cricketfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The way i see this promo is that, like some carriers give credit($30 in this case) to be used on your next bloated phone purchase from them instead of a bill adjustment credit. Now, some ppl would avail it and some would have no use of it.

Similarly, few ppl(who have ample amount of Data bucket) would rarely use their Data Add-on. While others(hopefully new customers) would benefit from it.   

At the end, its a good gesture. Not a great one but nonetheless better than nothing. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I like seeing the positive reviews of the promo. 

chakri264

"Please don't disturb me. I am busy referring people to PM. ;-D"

ha ha ha. I like that. 

pratchak
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It helps me a lot. I dont have any data on my plan. I am going to take advantage of this referral. I already got my friend convinced to join PM. So 1 gig for me already. Will keep spreading the word.

Please don't disturb me. I am busy referring people to PM. ;-D

chakri264

This is great for someone who has less data on their plan. For me, it doesn't help much. however, it helps someone who is new to PM as the new plans do not come with much data. Thumbs up anyway. 

mimmo

@Vballxox  you can go to walmart or wow mobile to get a sim card.  shipping should take at most 5 days usally 2-3  so either way you should have the sim card before the promo expires\

@Vballxox wrote:

If I buy a SIM card today, do you think it will ship in time to get this promo?

srlawren

@Vballxox yes.  Plan data is always used first.  Add-on data, if available, is used after plan data is consumed for the current cycle.  Any unused add-on data still remaining once your plan renews to a new cycle and your plan data replenishes is kept in waiting until the next time your plan data is consumed prior to renewal.

EDIT: well, you've got till the 20th, so in theory yes, unless you're in some very remote rural community of Canada, perhaps.  If you're concerned about it, try dropping by your local WOW Mobile or Walmart's entertainment department and see if they have any available for purchase there for the same $10+tax.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Vballxox
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I buy a SIM card today, do you think it will ship in time to get this promo?

Vballxox

Does it use the add on after using up the data in your plan?

DmcDohko

@srlawrenI get what you are saying and yes it is better than nothing, but I'll hold out from reminding/encouraging people to join PM not really because I don't personally benefit much from it, but rather because I don't feel they'll benefit much from it at this time, at least not until they bring back the 12gb/3month promo for new customers.

I don't know about how others are feeling but personally I'm not making posts to complain, but I do think it's important to point some things out to keep the market current, realistic and competitive. If everyone is complacent, we as customers, would never get better deals. Given that canadian plans are far below many other plans across the globe in terms of what they offer and price, I think it's good to discuss how to move forward rather than backwards.

sirkdub

“Come on , PM! Fall-2016 promo again, pls! ” 

I’m cheering PM to bring this promo back for Black Friday too this year!  Come on PM, you can and should do it! I have two referrals from FIDO just waiting for this promo to become instant PM patrons. 

sirkdub

Would be really nice if the extra Gb of data was revolving each refill period. 

Slammer111

@mimmo That's what I'm saying though. If the competiting plans are similar, where's the incentive to switch over?  I understand it's a business decision, but without some good incentive, PM is not going to poach anyone from the competition.

All I know is that I have a handful of customers who aren't paying PM becuase they have decided PM isn't good enough at this point to leave their current providers.

mimmo

@Slammer111  I find that PM is competitive (when compared to current BYOD plans). 

Compared to plans from the past, thats a different story. It will be hard to convert someone on a plan from 1.5 years ago, unless they want an upgrade and are forced change plans.

Slammer111

It’s not as much a complaint (I’m already a paying customer, why do I care) as a statement that none of my potential referrals at the moment have enough incentive to switch over.

It’s ultimately up to my potential referrals to sit on their existing carriers for the time being, but it’s also on PM to provide enough incentive for my potential referrals to jump to a not-so-known carrier.  What I’m saying is that without these good deals PM will simply have fewer customers. 

MVP

@kav2001c wrote:

@MVP silly to complain about markups in Canada

We pay $6+ for a coffee ($0.50 cost), $10+ for a hamburger ($1 or less cost)

In Canada everything is regulated and overpriced (and of course overtaxed)

Complain about the crazy idea of charging HST on someone's home if you want to talk about getting gouged

🙂 not complaining at all. Just trying to determine true monetary value of this reward.

I concluded it is $5 for one side.

It is a nice little addition, but feels too thin even in comparison

with  the regular "minus $1/month" referral award...

Come on , PM! Fall-2016 promo again, pls! 🙂

911onFire

Sorry @markymark22, it's a one time 1gb top up.

markymark22
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey all - I'm new to PM....How exactly does this 1GB add on work?

Do you get a new 1GB each month??? Or does it go away once you have used it up?

My friend wants to refer me...I want the $25 a month plan, and want to know if I will get essentially a 1GB data plan each month going forward?

Thanks!

@mimmo wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Have you seen other carriers giving away extras to someone being referred?

@srlawren  I believe Koodo gives both parties $25 and on promotion $50 each.  I think zoomer also has a similar referral system (not sure if it is one part or both) 

But i don't understand why people are so upset, this it is a nice little extra.     The  real incentives are cheaper plans ($12-$37, based on koodo's in market plans) + all the other rewards. 

I see no other carrier giving rewards for staying with them.  We just "celebrated "both a @will13am and @ShawnC13 1 year with PM.  I've been here 1.5 years, I remember fighting tooth and nail with bell for 500 mb of  extra data to get me to 1gb and 200 daytime   and that would have cost me more than PM's then 2gb plan for $40.  That is when i decided to switch. 

I also think people forget that PM is prepaid and 30-90 terms only,  there are no hardware subsidies that "keep" people subscribed to the service So PM needs to keep that in mind when they create there rewards/bonus (ie  $1/month vs $24 right away)  who knows if the backend could even support something more...

I think in the end people will not be happy unless they see the fall promo back, then there will be complaints about how  it should be Canada wide or more data.  

Yes please, fall promo with Canada wide calling for $40 per 30 days.  Where do we line up?

mimmo

@911onFire  they will not make an exception else they would have to for everyone else.  your mom could try to refer some of her friends.  

I wish I could go to the gas station and say I filled  up yesterday but today your gas $.10s less. can i get a refund?

The other thing people could do if they really want the data is activate a new account refer a friend and then port their existim PM number to the new one. (but likley not economical  because you need to buy a new sim card and you need your current plan to expire in the promo period, and if you have no rewards.

911onFire

That's why I'm wondering if PM @Jeremy_M can backtrack just a few days for a grace period, as I finally convinced my mom to get her own cell phone. It was early Nov and I signed her up for a talk plan. The 1gb plan will go very far for her, but it would just be a nice safety buffer for me.

Although as some have mentioned, if the 12gb for 90 days plan came back, I'd likely be able to convince more people to switch over. Thanks in advance.

Good analogy @srlawren.

I think only those on the fall promo are pretty much complaining because 12GB is a lot to use and since they will likely not go over, they dislike the 1GB free incentive. I am sure there are plenty of users on a low data plans and some are even without data plan ($25 talk and text). This is very useful for them. New comers can sign up for the $25 talk and text plan and get this 1GB free to use. Let's not forget that plan prices were hiked crazy, and we would not be even thinking of referring someone on those plan prices. Thank fully they reverted that and brought some decent options compare to other carrier. 

srlawren

@DmcDohko okay, fair enough.  But again, the alternative is literally nothing, which it will go back to again after the 20th.  So if you want to refer people after then and neither of you get anything extra*, then feel free.  Or you could refer people now and get something extra, whether or not you anticipate needing it.  

Here's the closest analogy I can think of, upon further reflection:  During the holiday season, a local restaurant chain I sometimes visit (named Milestones) for the past couple of years have run a gift card promo, targetting Christmas holiday shoppers.  The deal is, if you buy over a certain $ amount of gift cards (I think it was maybe $75?, don't recall exactly), they would give YOU a complimentary $10 or $20 gift card (agian I forget the exact amount).  

Now, you could buy a gift card for someone literally ANY time of the year if you wanted.  For about 10 or so months of the year, if you spend that $75 (say) and give someone that gfit card, they will be happy to receive it, and that's all the thanks you get.  Yet if you do this while the special bonus is offered, that person is still happy, but you also get a little bit extra to go back to the restaurant with and enjoy should you choose.

Now, the gift card that you purchased of course never expires, as they are not allowed to under Canadian law.  However, extra feebies ARE allowed to expire and can have limited date ranges.  So, the bonus gift Milestones gives you, let's call it $10 as I don't recall the exact amount, only start working on I think it's January 2nd or so (after all the holiday and NYE rush), and expires I think it's the end of February or early March.  This means that you have a limited window in which you can use it.  If you do deicde to go back during that time, you can take advantage of it if you wish.  If you don't need a Milestones meal before the expiry date, well, then, you really didn't get anything out of it anyway and the value disappears, and has cost Milestones nothing.  Your friend or family memeber still got the $75 gift card you got them and is free to enjoy any time they want.

To bring the analogy home, the $75 Milestones gift card is like the yearly savings you'll be giving your friend or family member by referring them.  (The acutal $ amount will be much higher actually, for PM customers, but that's not the point.)  The $10 bonus that Milestones gives you is similar to the $30 one-time 1GB data add-on that Public Mobile is offering you for a period of time.  You can choose to use it shoud you need/want to do so, or you can completely ignore it and it will just sit there dormant indefinitely.  The difference here is that it never expires as long as you keep your account, or until you've used it up.  So in that way, it's far better then the Milestone bonus that expries after 2 or 3 months.  And to go one step further, PM is also giving your friend or family member that same one time 1GB bonus to use, if they ever want or need to, to keep around until such time as they've used it up or closed their account.  This is like Milestones giving you an extra $10 bonus gift card to give to your friend in addition to the one they gave you in addition to the gift of saving your friend money on their bill, and none of it expires.  

I'm still trying to figure out why people are complaining.  It's a bonus that's being offered.  You either like or don't.  You'll either use it or won't.  But it's better than the $0 bonus on offer prior to the 7th and after the 20th.  So, take it or leave it. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

DmcDohko

@srlawrennot as concerned about the referred person as much as those newly joining PM who would much appreciate and benefit from the 12gb/3month plan over a one-time 1 extra gb - either way a one time extra GB is way too little of an incentive to mean anything especially to those on 12gb/3month plans.

srlawren

@zj wrote:

I just referred a friend on November 3rd.. will we qualify for the promo data?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Sharing-is-Caring-Give-a-Gig-Get-a-Gig/...

zj

I just referred a friend on November 3rd.. will we qualify for the promo data?

mimmo

@Jacob120  PM is giving a 1gb addon package only once. your monthly data is used first and if you run out the addon kick in.  think of it as an insurance policy.    the 1 gb will be there untill it is used up.  my mom for example has a 1gb addon and a talk and text plan.  she has used 80mb in 100 days.  so she has 900mb left.  it does expire with your 30/90 day term but ratehr when it reaches 0mb

mimmo

@srlawren wrote:

Have you seen other carriers giving away extras to someone being referred?

@srlawren  I believe Koodo gives both parties $25 and on promotion $50 each.  I think zoomer also has a similar referral system (not sure if it is one part or both) 

But i don't understand why people are so upset, this it is a nice little extra.     The  real incentives are cheaper plans ($12-$37, based on koodo's in market plans) + all the other rewards. 

I see no other carrier giving rewards for staying with them.  We just "celebrated "both a @will13am and @ShawnC13 1 year with PM.  I've been here 1.5 years, I remember fighting tooth and nail with bell for 500 mb of  extra data to get me to 1gb and 200 daytime   and that would have cost me more than PM's then 2gb plan for $40.  That is when i decided to switch. 

I also think people forget that PM is prepaid and 30-90 terms only,  there are no hardware subsidies that "keep" people subscribed to the service So PM needs to keep that in mind when they create there rewards/bonus (ie  $1/month vs $24 right away)  who knows if the backend could even support something more...

I think in the end people will not be happy unless they see the fall promo back, then there will be complaints about how  it should be Canada wide or more data.  

Jacob120

Hi Jeremy. M,

one time add on 1GB data for both, you mean one time for 30 days or 90 days only? Not constantly! If finished this term, all add on data will be gone. Is it right? 

Jacob

ss82

Lol that sucks doesn't it. Thanks for the heads up! 

Need Help? Let's chat.