Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Issue Resolved] Dropped calls issue

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Most Recent Update

9:30 PM ET - May 8, 2019

Hey Community,

We can confirm that the solution our team implemented earlier today to address customers’ voice calls periodically dropping has been resolved.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this service issue may have caused and thank you for your patience as we worked to find a resolution over the past few days and we recognize the frustrations you have felt. To that end, in the case of a technical glitch like we experienced, we want to be certain that the information we are sharing with our customers is accurate and helpful. However, as you have voiced, we too believe that updates should be timely as well. We have heard you and we are committed to improving our processes so we can keep you informed as much as we can going forward.

-Public Mobile Community team

Updates

Please click the spoiler for a full history of this service issue to date.

Spoiler

4:30 PM ET - May 8, 2019

Hey Community,

We have implemented a solution to resolve the issue causing customers’ voice calls to drop during peak times. We are actively monitoring the Community and our systems to ensure there are no further inconveniences to our customers. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please contact our Moderator Team by sending them a private message here and we can assist.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience. We will provide a further update as soon as possible.

12:00 PM ET - May 7, 2019

Hey Community,

We are aware that some customers continue to experience dropped calls during peak hours and our team is working to address this immediately. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please contact our Moderator Team by sending them a private message here and we can assist on a case by case basis.

We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience as we work towards a resolution. We will provide further updates as soon as we know more.

12:00 PM ET - May 6, 2019

Hey Community,

We have identified the source of the technical issue causing select customers to experience dropped calls during peak hours. We've implemented a solution that we believe has resolved the dropped calls issues. However, we are monitoring and ask customers to reach out if you continue to experience any issues.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience. We will provide an update first thing tomorrow morning.

May 3, 2019

Hi Community,

We have heard your concerns around some calling and service issues and we thank you for flagging them to us. After investigation, we have identified the cause of the issues some of you have been experiencing and want to share an update.

1. Dropped calls - We’re currently experiencing an issue in which select customers may experience dropped calls during peak usage times (approximately 4 to 7pm ET time). Text/data capabilities remain unaffected. Our team is diligently investigating the source of this issue and is fully committed to restoring normal functionality as soon as possible. Until then, we appreciate your understanding.

• What you can do if you want to connect with someone during peak usage times:
      • Use texting, wi-fi, or data to stay connected
      • Use wi-fi calling apps

2. $15 Plan - We’ve successfully fixed an issue that affected the service for select customers who signed up or changed to the $15 100 minute plan beginning April 30. This issue arose at 12:15 AM ET on May 3rd, was identified by our team, and was fixed as of 1 PM ET May 3rd. We understand that staying connected is important, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

• If you’re on this plan and are experiencing any issues other than dropped calls, please contact our Moderator Team by sending them a private message here - don’t forget to be as descriptive as possible and to include your account information so that we can assist you as quickly as possible.

We apologize for these inconveniences and the delay on our end in updating you officially. We always look to identify what the issue is and the impact while gathering as much information as we can before announcing, as we want to mitigate any concerns or questions you may have. However, we understand that those of you affected directly, want an update right away. To that end we are working on improving our internal processes in order to get in touch with you as quickly as we can.

Stay tuned as we will update you on the first issue as soon as we can.

Public Mobile Community Team

314 REPLIES 314

@duren wrote:

Alan K,

Please confirm that the fix was for PM to flip on VoLTE calling for subscribers, since you know, its already implemented and available for everyone else on the same network 😉

I have a Telus Samsung A8 (2018), so if any device is going to allow VoLTE, it would be this one as it was sold directly by Public Mobile's parent company.

I tried making a call on my device, and it immediately switched from LTE to the HSPA network, just as it always has.

In any event, enabling VoLTE cannot possilby be a solution because not only would many devices with LTE fail from a a VoLTE compatability standpoint, but many devices don't have LTE at all.  Features such as VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling can help, but it's not a fix.

@duren @Kiki Are you certain calls are going through VoLTE? They can't just turn the switch on just to fix the drop calls issue. They would launch it on all plans. 

Kiki
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@duren  seriously? I have never heard of VoLTE, but all of a sudden this is making sense to me....thank you for this new insight into what might have been the mysterious ‘source’ of the problem with this network...

duren
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Alan K,

Please confirm that the fix was for PM to flip on VoLTE calling for subscribers, since you know, its already implemented and available for everyone else on the same network 😉

Kiki

@Alan_K  is it just my imagination...or did you knock this post down again to [resolution in progress]?

Kiki

@Alan_K  Your explanation is too little, too late....do you understand that?

Kiki

Hmmmm...it is interesting to me that this post has been marked as ‘Issue Resolved’...ummmm, no - it has most certainly been not! Who was given the authority to mark this issue as resolved?? I still have many unanswered questions and would like answers to my questions...

Angela101

@Someone_here wrote:

@ladybearbc wrote:

And as we know, Public promotes the 3G network as being their platform.....so....that being said - back to the maintenance of old infrastructure vs creation of new - where do we think Telus’ priority lies?

Public Mobile uses Telus and Bell normal network, including LTE and everything.

If you subscribe to 3G speed instead of LTE, your phone still uses the LTE network (except if you ask your phone not to do so in your phone settings), but Public Mobile limits the speed you get.

I would also say that Public Mobile is not an MNVO.  Public Mobile is 100% owned an operated by Telus.  I'm not even sure any more if Public Mobile is even a separate business entity any longer, but could at this point, possibly be nothing more than a registered trademark.  Solo Mobile did that at one point and wasn't even a company, with that old website's legal disclaimer/copyright notice actually saying that the Solo was a regesitered trademark of Bell Moility Inc.

primarytech

@Someone_here however phone calls are via 3G. Whereas Telus and Koodo uses LTE/VoLTE for voice communication (if your phone is capable). 

I’m extremely curious if anyone on Koodo or Telus has a phone that doesn’t have VoLTE capability and if they had drop call issues....

ladybearbc

Just using the term as posted

Public Mobile Inc.TypeIndustryFoundedHeadquartersProductsServicesParent

Public Mobile New Logo 2015.svg
Subsidiary
Mobile virtual network operator
March 18, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mobile telephony
HSPA, LTE, mobile broadband, SMS, telephony
Telus

@ladybearbc wrote:

And as we know, Public promotes the 3G network as being their platform.....so....that being said - back to the maintenance of old infrastructure vs creation of new - where do we think Telus’ priority lies?

Public Mobile uses Telus and Bell normal network, including LTE and everything.

If you subscribe to 3G speed instead of LTE, your phone still uses the LTE network (except if you ask your phone not to do so in your phone settings), but Public Mobile limits the speed you get.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think MVNO is being used kind of erroneously in this case.

The three tiers that the big 3 have are really just sub-unit operations.

There are real MVNO's in the states and probably elsewhere but here with the stranglehold the big 3 have on the market AND the regulators...

ladybearbc

I’m not sure there is much we can do in a case against Telus - according to the definition of a mobile network operator

A mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), virtual network operator (VNO), or mobile other licensed operator (MOLO), is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which it provides services to its customers. An MVNO enters into a business agreement with a mobile network operator to obtain bulk access to network services at wholesale rates, then sets retail prices independently.

I’ll bet there is something in the agreement between the two that says Telus is not responsible for the quality of the bulk line. And as we know, Public promotes the 3G network as being their platform.....so....that being said - back to the maintenance of old infrastructure vs creation of new - where do we think Telus’ priority lies?

Kiki

@geologyking  Well said....and I would like to see an explanation from PM about what this mysterious ‘source’ of the problem was and assurance that this won’t happen again

geologyking

@will13am wrote:

@geologyking wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@K-Town wrote:

I've had the issue for a whole week now.  Moderator team is completely useless (as usual) and they refuse to compensate me for the issue caused by them.

Ask the CCTS to help you.  Don't go to them until this dropped call problem is resolved.  You need to know the total duration of the service disruption. 

While it makes sense to file a complaint with CCTS at the end of the service disruption to better assess compensation, I think it makes sense to be in touch with them during the disruption as well so that there is external pressure on PM to be transparent about the problem and to be motivated to fix it quickly.

We should be getting updates once or twice a day on central actions to rectify the problem.

What is the basis of your complaint?  If the carrier says they are working on a solution and it is taking a long time, that isn't a basis to use the CCTS to pressure them to work faster.  The CCTS has not means to judge whether appropriate effort is being placed on addressing the issue.  If want to use the CCTS, you need to have a basis for the complaint otherwise it gets dismissed.  When the calling problem goes away, I am sure that Public Mobile will reimburse lost usage.  It would be crazy for them to let customers use the CCTS complaints process to seek reimbursement.  The cost to them would not be worthwhile. 

I'm not sure we have sufficient evidence to say that PM is actually working to fix the problem, other then them just saying so.  They've not been clear with their users what the problem is--they must have some idea because they have suggested that they have fixed the problem for some of their users.  I've yet to read a post from someone saying that they had the problem but that now it is resolved.

In addition, their communication about the issue has been abysmal.  It began by telling all those complaining that their devices were the problem, then moved on to suggest there might be a bigger issue, and then to suggest that the issue is largely resolved.

CCTS can draw its own conclusions.

Edit:  Just noticed an update at 4.30--will be interesting to see if this now does the trick.

ladybearbc

I have been having dropped calls over the past 3-4 weeks. Initially, I was blaming it on my phone☺️but DH pointed out that we had not had the problem before we switched carriers.

This type of unreliable service reminds me of problems 15-20 years ago in areas that were just getting cell service.

Now....if the rest of the world would go back to that time in prices etc etc - well - maybe I wouldn't be so upset  😁

@will13am wrote:

@geologyking wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@K-Town wrote:

I've had the issue for a whole week now.  Moderator team is completely useless (as usual) and they refuse to compensate me for the issue caused by them.

Ask the CCTS to help you.  Don't go to them until this dropped call problem is resolved.  You need to know the total duration of the service disruption. 

While it makes sense to file a complaint with CCTS at the end of the service disruption to better assess compensation, I think it makes sense to be in touch with them during the disruption as well so that there is external pressure on PM to be transparent about the problem and to be motivated to fix it quickly.

We should be getting updates once or twice a day on central actions to rectify the problem.

What is the basis of your complaint?  If the carrier says they are working on a solution and it is taking a long time, that isn't a basis to use the CCTS to pressure them to work faster.  The CCTS has not means to judge whether appropriate effort is being placed on addressing the issue.  If want to use the CCTS, you need to have a basis for the complaint otherwise it gets dismissed.  When the calling problem goes away, I am sure that Public Mobile will reimburse lost usage.  It would be crazy for them to let customers use the CCTS complaints process to seek reimbursement.  The cost to them would not be worthwhile. 

Filing a complaint with CCTS is "doing something" rather than just waiting for PM to fix this dropped call problem that has been going on for awhile now. I think PM has really dropped the ball on this and filing complaints may not be the correct way to do something....but there seems to be no other option other than just waiting or going to other cell providers.

I too think PM will adjust accounts to make up for lost time, but sadly, that might not be enough to re-engage lost customers.

@geologyking wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@K-Town wrote:

Kiki

I just completed filing my complaint to CCTS; I really didn't want to have to escalate to that, but unfortunately I just do not see any other option at this point - as there has been no response from PM and this is the only phone service that I have, and I absolutely require reliable service...this is not optional.

geologyking

@will13am wrote:

@K-Town wrote:

chrism

I've been experiencing frequent dropped calls since I joined PM last month, this isn't a recent thing.  And it's not accurate to say that it's only happening during peak hours, is has been really bad for me at 10 am in a quiet residential area.

This is a long term, nationwide, large scale issue.  To me it doesn't seem like it's being taken seriously. 

excerpt from latest Announcement...

We are aware that some customers continue to experience dropped calls during peak hours and our team is working to address this immediately. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please contact our Moderator Team by sending them a private message here and we can assist on a case by case basis.

Send them a message if you're still getting dropped calls.

Good luck

Angela101

Any updates? It’s gotten to the point where every phone call I make drops after 2 minutes. It’s been over a week now and it’s getting worse.

@K-Town wrote:

tradelink

Why in the hell should anyone here have to send a message to a moderator to get this issue resolved? 

Are mods not monitoring this issue? Of course, they are. It's a matter of remaining quiet and attempting to do damage control before it ends up on CTV, Global, CBC, FB or whatever media outlet. 

If there are this many people are on here with dropped call issues, then you can only imagine how many others Public Mobile customer are dealing with dropped calls also, but are not aware that this forum is here. So many folks are in the dark and most likely believing it could be their mobile device. 

On a side note, I had an account with Freedom and having an issue with service. I went into the Freedom retail store and had an employee tell me it was my device that was the issue. 

Trusting this individual (while slightly skeptical) I bought a new iPhone and guess what, the SAME PROBLEM. Freedom is **bleep**. And now it looks like Public Mobile is aligned just the same.

So once again for all to ponder...we know Public Mobile monitors this forum, and yet they have failed to come online and make any statements to acknowledge the issues.

tradelink

Why in the hell should anyone here have to send a message to a moderator to get this issue resolved? 

Are mods not monitoring this issue? Of course, they are. It's a matter of remaining quiet and attempting to do damage control before it ends up on CTV, Global, CBC, FB or whatever media outlet. 

If there are this many people are on here with dropped call issues, then you can only imagine how many others Public Mobile customer are dealing with dropped calls also, but are not aware that this forum is here. So many folks are in the dark and most likely believing it could be their mobile device. 

On a side note, I had an account with Freedom and having an issue with service. I went into the Freedom retail store and had an employee tell me it was my device that was the issue. 

Trusting this individual (while slightly skeptical) I bought a new iPhone and guess what....SAME PROBLEM. Freedom is **bleep**. And now it looks like Public Mobile is aligned just the same.

So once again for all to ponder...we know Public Mobile monitors this forum, and yet they have failed to come online and make any statements to acknowledge the issues.

tradelink

@stonechucker,

I just called Lucky Mobile 833-885-8259 and advised them of this unresolved issue that is not being addressed by Public Mobile (Telus) 

And the phone call I made to Lucky was on a landline as I cannot trust my mobile phone to not hang up. 

https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid

primarytech

@tradelinkI'm with you. Telus is obviously dic@king around their customers with what they are doing with PM. I doubt we will see Telus/Koodo customers drop their services since they are not experiencing issues. But if I'm on Koodo I'd be weary of what is ocuring here. You never know they might be next as their network gets more congested. Its a small pecking order.

Kiki

@tradelink  Thanks for your input, I appreciate it...and I agree 100% with you....a heads-up from PM about the dropped calls issue would have gone a long way...it took me over a week of frustration dealing with the dropped calls before I realized that the issue was the carrier and not my phone...and I suspect many people are in the same boat, thinking it is their phone that is the issue...it's a shame, as I was very satisfied with their service for many years but I will be moving on once this billing cycle is complete.

Need Help? Let's chat.