cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing all new Referral Codes!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Here at Public Mobile, we love referrals, and we know that many of you do too! We understand that a lot of you like to refer as many friends as they can, but sometimes, sharing your personal phone number isn’t the best way to share your joy.

That’s why starting July 24th, we’re going to be introducing unique referral codes for our customers that they can share with their friends. We think this is really cool because:

1.It’s safer and has better privacy

By using uniquely generated codes, we minimize exposure of personal information from our customers being used inappropriately by others. Safety comes first!

2.It’s easier to refer your friends at the push of a button

As if it’s not easy to refer your friends already, you can now copy & paste a direct link from your Self-Serve Overview page, which, when clicked on, will autofill your friend’s activation page with your referral code already. Sweet right?

1.png

How to locate your unique shareable URL:

1. Go to Self-Serve and Log in.
  2. In the Overview page, look for this box in the right hand side.
  3. Hover over the ‘link’ hyperlink and copy the link address.
  4. Share with a friend! 
  5. Now, start saving! 🙂

If you don’t share a URL or it’s not on hand, it’s still easy to refer a friend. Simply find your code on the right hand side of the Overview page in Self-Serve  and let your friend know. When activating, they’ll just need to manually type in your code. The rest is the same as today. 🙂

2.png

Let us know your thoughts, 

Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Question

Answer

Does this impact any of my existing referrals that entered my phone number?

If you already have referrals that came from sharing phone numbers, you will continue to keep your referral credits. No referrals will be removed from accounts as a direct result of the new referral codes.

After July 24th, can my friend still use my phone number during activation to get a referral?

After July 24th, phone numbers will no longer be used for referrals. A referral code must be used to register a referral moving forward.

I have a referral reward that I’m missing. When I reach out to a Moderator about this after July 24th, am I using my friend’s phone number or code?

If you are missing a reward and reporting it, starting July 24, you will need to share your friend’s referral code with the Moderator assisting your case. 

I referred someone and didn’t get my credit. What should I do?

Please reach out to the person you referred and have them contact a Moderator with your referral code, and they will be happy to assist.

What is the policy around sharing my referral code in the Community?

Unsolicited sharing of referral codes will be considered spam.

112 REPLIES 112

smp99

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@halifmike wrote:

Perfect! When I told people it was my phone number, they would always get confused and put in my work number, which is not PM. A referral code, and a link, is a great way to go!

Opposite can happen. Someone knows your phone number but not the referral code.  The code is for not giving number to strangers.

Disagree with this logic

A code far outweighs any minor benefits of a phone number.  

@halifmike wrote:

Perfect! When I told people it was my phone number, they would always get confused and put in my work number, which is not PM. A referral code, and a link, is a great way to go!

Opposite can happen. Someone knows your phone number but not the referral code.  The code is for not giving number to strangers.

halifmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@smp99 wrote:

Was it ever confirmed if we could change our referral code. The 0 vs O is not nice. 

edited by computergeek541: community terms of service

Agreed not a good idea to allow both O and 0 because it increases the chance of invalid referral code errors.

PM should seriously consider eliminating one or both from the rcode.

laila10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

definitely sharing a quote. cheers 

CMOADMIN

This is a great way to cut down your monthly service fees for your public mobile account. 

I will be sharing my code and promoting PM's services where I can do so... 

smp99

Was it ever confirmed if we could change our referral code. The 0 vs O is not nice. 

edited by computergeek541: community terms of service

Revelry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is awesome news no longer afraid to refer people

laila10

this is a good idea and helping others. thsnk you

Baconify

I just got wind of the new referral code (my line is an emergency only phone in the car that I don't check often) I like this so I don't have to give out my actual phone number. Good move!

Asima

Thanks

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

@GR Contact a moderator to investigate.

Message the moderators. Moderator can be reached at  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Triguy  they all show up in my rewards, it's just the text that we don't get! 

Check your self serve account under rewards then click on my rewards button.  I think it can take 72 hours for it to show up.

XionBunny

@GR wrote:

@Poogzley  I haven't received that text either lately. I had 4 new refferals in the past week and didn't get any text 

same here, no text either.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Poogzley  I haven't received that text either lately. I had 4 new refferals in the past week and didn't get any text 

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Alan_K It seems I am no longer reciveing the "Congratulations you have referred someone to Public Mobile" texts since the new referral system has been implemented. Has anyone else ran into this bug?

kevinqqh

Cat Happy Good !

kevinqqh

Smiley HappyAwesome !

Cwangs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just used the new referral code with another account for a family member.

wolfcruise

This is great news ! I have only just joined and was fine about giving my number to friends as a referral obviously, but non contacts ... hummm ... thanks Public Mobile !

I see what you guys are saying. I find the referral code setup to be well implemented.

Taking a look at Canadian licence plates: the letters I, O, Q and U are generally not used to avoid confusion with 1, 0 and V. Public Mobile probably already has a list of letters/numbers that they are not using. It's really up to them if they want to modify this list.

@LovesToPM wrote:

Hmmmm what happens in-store?
Is it not using the same referral code and validation?

I mistyped above, I meant to say "so your referal (new customer)activates without a referal code.

In store, you provide the referal code to enter in the referal code box. So if it doesn't work the new customer either  gives up for now, activates anyway without a referal or store enpkyyee kindly supplies his referal code so new customer still gets the $10 referal credit.

Either way, existing customer loses out in referal bonus because of letter/number confusion in the referal code 

Terry 

@LovesToPM wrote:

@TIANRUI wrote:

can I request a new referral code without O and 0? because it is confusive and very easy to make a mistake. 

The activation page validates the referral code. So there is no possibility of error.

I'm sure that @TIANRUI means that people don't want to try to have to figure out if something is a zero, letter O, one, or L, or i.  It is extremely confusing and no matter how familiar you are with that font/typeface, there will be many mistakes typing these in.  And invalid code won't work, but using characters that can be easily confused with others is avoidable.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Depends on your definition of "error".  Referal Code won't work at store so your referal activates without an activation code. "Error" or not?

Terry

Hmmmm what happens in-store?
Is it not using the same referral code and validation?

Depends on your definition of "error".  Referal Code won't work at store so your referal activates without a referal code. "Error" or not?

Terry

@TIANRUI wrote:

can I request a new referral code without O and 0? because it is confusive and very easy to make a mistake. 

The activation page validates the referral code. So there is no possibility of error.

TIANRUI

XionBunny

@GinYVR wrote:

@PublicLoveIn case you don't know Public Mobile is part of big 3 telecoms... it is just the lowest tier of Telus service

Just proves folks need to do their research lol.

Need Help? Let's chat.