cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing all new Referral Codes!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Here at Public Mobile, we love referrals, and we know that many of you do too! We understand that a lot of you like to refer as many friends as they can, but sometimes, sharing your personal phone number isn’t the best way to share your joy.

That’s why starting July 24th, we’re going to be introducing unique referral codes for our customers that they can share with their friends. We think this is really cool because:

1.It’s safer and has better privacy

By using uniquely generated codes, we minimize exposure of personal information from our customers being used inappropriately by others. Safety comes first!

2.It’s easier to refer your friends at the push of a button

As if it’s not easy to refer your friends already, you can now copy & paste a direct link from your Self-Serve Overview page, which, when clicked on, will autofill your friend’s activation page with your referral code already. Sweet right?

1.png

How to locate your unique shareable URL:

1. Go to Self-Serve and Log in.
  2. In the Overview page, look for this box in the right hand side.
  3. Hover over the ‘link’ hyperlink and copy the link address.
  4. Share with a friend! 
  5. Now, start saving! 🙂

If you don’t share a URL or it’s not on hand, it’s still easy to refer a friend. Simply find your code on the right hand side of the Overview page in Self-Serve  and let your friend know. When activating, they’ll just need to manually type in your code. The rest is the same as today. 🙂

2.png

Let us know your thoughts, 

Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Question

Answer

Does this impact any of my existing referrals that entered my phone number?

If you already have referrals that came from sharing phone numbers, you will continue to keep your referral credits. No referrals will be removed from accounts as a direct result of the new referral codes.

After July 24th, can my friend still use my phone number during activation to get a referral?

After July 24th, phone numbers will no longer be used for referrals. A referral code must be used to register a referral moving forward.

I have a referral reward that I’m missing. When I reach out to a Moderator about this after July 24th, am I using my friend’s phone number or code?

If you are missing a reward and reporting it, starting July 24, you will need to share your friend’s referral code with the Moderator assisting your case. 

I referred someone and didn’t get my credit. What should I do?

Please reach out to the person you referred and have them contact a Moderator with your referral code, and they will be happy to assist.

What is the policy around sharing my referral code in the Community?

Unsolicited sharing of referral codes will be considered spam.

112 REPLIES 112

hamaida
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Alan_KThats Nice... and easy..

robertmay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

thank goodness for the clickable link, otherwise my referral code is ridiculously impossible to remember and even more difficult to get right. 

halifmike

Great idea! Much better than divulging your phone number!

Beside the rule of no spamming the community with referral codes I would like to see PM do something about the spamming of their Facebook advertisement posts. I have seen moderators request that people remove their phone number from posts there on occasion but rarely. As I said elsewhere recently, I think this is a bad reflection on PM in a public setting. It will happen elsewhere but it shouldn’t be allowed to happen on specific PM posts.

Terry

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Looking forward to using my code, thanks for this.

lon_h

@makkahn28 wrote:

Like the Code needs to chang EACH time it's been Used

One-Time use Referral Code Each time

yep, agreed, one-time use code will elimiate public spamming to certain degree.

@popping wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@Alan_K Nice but not perfect. I would like to create my own personalized code, please. Robot LOL

@Alan_K, I've seen someone's code that has zeroes and the letter O in it.  May I suggest not using 1, I, L, 0, and O if at all possible?

The referral code of one of my accounts has two '0's in it.  Using the link is safer.  But the link is only good for online activation.  It may be a problem for in-store activation. The moderator requests to sort out the referral code issue may go up!

A friend's has two zeros and one O.  She has you beat.  That's a terrible code.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@Alan_K Nice but not perfect. I would like to create my own personalized code, please. Robot LOL

@Alan_K, I've seen someone's code that has zeroes and the letter O in it.  May I suggest not using 1, I, L, 0, and O if at all possible?

The referral code of one of my accounts has two '0's in it.  Using the link is safer.  But the link is only good for online activation.  It may be a problem for in-store activation. The moderator requests to sort out the referral code issue may go up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose this code is still open to abuse by store clerks like phone numbers were. They can just quietly enter their own code. The new customer still gets their 10 bucks but they wouldn't be any the wiser on the dollar side unless they made a point of providing the certain code.

@softech wrote:

If my friends go to places like Walmart for activation .. can they still use the code?

Yes they can.  There is an Alpha- numeric code that can be entered when activating or a link that can be clicked on when activating at home

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@softech yes if you give it to them so walmart employee inputs it on sign up page

softech
Oracle
Oracle

If my friends go to places like Walmart for activation .. can they still use the code?

slpless

perfect. Have been waiting for this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@makkahn28 wrote:

This is great, BUT, I fear that it could still be misused by certain people, EVEN IF it's NOT on the PM Forums.

Who cares how it gets "misused". What is misused in this case anyway? Sure the intention is for friends and family but the business gets more customers. That's what *their* intention is. So the referral enables that. And the existing customer gets a little something.

@SD08 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@Alan_K On the activation page, the "Were you referred to Public Mobile?" checkbox is unticked as a default settings. It was set to Yes before this change so i think default setting should leave the box ticked. 

@NDesai 

Well, at least if the box is not checked, the code field is greyed out, so customers would have to check it in order to enter anything.

Right, but it should be checked as default just like it was before and assume customer has a referral code rather than customer forgetting about it and later mods have to take care of that. 

SD08

@NDesai wrote:

@Alan_K On the activation page, the "Were you referred to Public Mobile?" checkbox is unticked as a default settings. It was set to Yes before this change so i think default setting should leave the box ticked. 

@NDesai 

Well, at least if the box is not checked, the code field is greyed out, so customers would have to check it in order to enter anything.

Maybe PM should start the Code with first 3 Digits PM0 then the 4 or 5 individual picks, sent off for final approval, then ready to go

Like the Code needs to chang EACH time it's been Used

One-Time use Referral Code Each time

This is great, BUT, I fear that it could still be misused by certain people, EVEN IF it's NOT on the PM Forums.

@Luddite wrote:

SD08

Great!  Thanks for implementing this, PM.

I also see, as PM promised, referred customers' phone numbers are now also masked in our rewards page, except for the last 4 digits.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

popping

I just checked my list of referees on self-serve portal which shows only the last 4 digits of my referee's phone number.  This is a great update to protect the privacy of referees.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Nice! No more phone number sharing which will help to protect us from privacy concerns and koodo migration issues. But this will lead to posting codes all over the place without any fear. So folks, be careful sharing unsolicited codes here in the community. We will do our best to detect spams. So don't make us report you. 

At long last, something positive.

@babinni wrote:

I don't understand all the hooplah about this. 

I have a friend at a PM kiosk right this minute and they cant apply the phone number referral....   so over to the PM site for instructions.

This is the 2nd friend in a week to switch over. (and the 2nd in my life lol). They all know my phone number, - nobody knows my code. Not even me!   What a PITA$$,   

Maybe if there was an LTO incentive change we'd be motivated to check the site for changes. 

Incidentally, the only value I see for this change is to extend anonymity to ppl supplying a code to random strangers - not friends and family.  So it assists in doing exactly what it doesnt want you to do.

Public Mobile won't stop you from sharing your code with strangers, nor could they realistically prevent it.  They just don't want you doing it in this Community out in the open.

babinni

I don't understand all the hooplah about this. 

I have a friend at a PM kiosk right this minute and they cant apply the phone number referral....   so over to the PM site for instructions.

This is the 2nd friend in a week to switch over. (and the 2nd in my life lol). They all know my phone number, - nobody knows my code. Not even me!   What a PITA$$,   

Maybe if there was an LTO incentive change we'd be motivated to check the site for changes. 

Incidentally, the only value I see for this change is to extend anonymity to ppl supplying a code to random strangers - not friends and family.  So it assists in doing exactly what it doesnt want you to do.

@kav2001c wrote:

We all know THIS is the main reason some people pushed so hard for them

Expect to see codes posted everywhere very soon

@mimmo wrote:

Please do not post your codes in the community nor send them unrequested via pm to potential customers. 

Public Mobile isn't going to prevent anyone from sharing referral codes on social media as a whole, but some websites have rules forbidding this, as does this one. Public Mobile considers posting referral codes in this Community as spam.  I'm not sure people want to risk possibly losing one reward type in an attempt to gain another.

I'm sure Public Mobile knows that code sharing will continue going on privately, but this Community isn't meant to be a place for members to advertise.

Bell3

How safe to share this code with others?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kav2001c wrote:

Someone already posted?

Yes.

Someone already posted?

@Anonymous wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

We all know THIS is the main reason some people pushed so hard for them

Expect to see codes posted everywhere very soon

@mimmo wrote:

Please do not post your codes in the community nor send them unrequested via pm to potential customers. 

@kav2001c 

You missed the post that got zapped prompting the response from mimmo.

Need Help? Let's chat.