Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Public Points ™

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news to share with the Public Mobile Community. We wanted you all to be the first to know we’re launching a new Rewards program soon - Public Points. 

Joining Public Points is optional for all existing customers. 

Your current rewards will remain the same. You’ll continue to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount. 

Once we launch the new program, all new customers will earn their rewards through Public Points.

If you’re interested in learning more about Public Points, and how you can join, we’ve provided some information below.

Why Public Points?

With Public Points, there are more ways to earn and spend rewards, making the program more flexible than before. Now you can earn and spend points how you want, when you want. You’re in control.

How does Public Points work?

Earn Points

Get rewarded in more ways than ever. Earn points just for paying your bill – for every dollar you spend, you’ll make 5% of it back in points.

Redeem points

We like to keep things simple. 1 point earned is valued at 1 dollar when redeemed - that’s it! 

Start saving

Redeem points on things that matter to you – like money off your bill, free add-ons or the chance to win awesome prizes.

Our Rewards Program has and continues to be our unique super power, by giving our customers the chance to earn even more!

Stay tuned for further details soon!

- Public Mobile Team

282 REPLIES 282

Ali2019
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My understanding of the New Point Rewards system changes are for Auto pay and Loyalty only:

Auto pay - now "Points Back", instead of $2.00 off your bill, you get 5% rewards points, i.e. if your plan is great than $40/month, you are better off; otherwise the old system is better.

Loyalty - now "Anniversary rewards" - you lost $2.00 per year, as the new system gives you $10 per year instead of $1 per month, but we don't know if there is a cap or not.

There is no change to Refer-a-friend" and "Community" rewards.

Looks like  to me PM is encouraging people using their "bigger" plans, everyone will look at their own plan and figure out which system is better.

Hi @olav1  For now, we are safe.  But I kind of worry they will go down that path eventually and force us all.  

Honest, lawsuits for these rewards usually are waste of time.  They have the fine print to allow them to make the change.  Also, they will make sure they are all covered by giving us some one time reward as a compensation.

I guess no need to worry for now.   Maybe we will get a better plan elsewhere down the road and we will port out our number before they kick us off the Legacy reward system.  Mobile price change too quick, you never know. 🙂

@DMC 

I read it your way....10 points a year.....every year on anniversary. Not 10 20 30 40 50 and 50 thereafter unless it goes 60 70 80........

olav1

It is great that the two reward systems stay in place, but I fear that the $ rewards will eventually be merged into the points rewards and all $ credits will vanish with it.  Just watch the number of lawsuits claiming the $ lost !

@DMC wrote:

I guess we need clarification on the loyalty part because I'm reading it differently from some of you guys who are reading it as only a fixed 10 points or $10 a year.

Happy Anniversary Earn 10 points for every 12 months you stay with us. Think of it as an anniversary present, except you don't have to get us anything.

However, I read it as 10 points for every 12 months as a cumulative number. So if you've been with them for 4 years, that's 4 sets of 12 months for 40 points or $40 a year.  That's still less than $48 a year for existing customers, so you're losing $8 a year.  However, one thing that makes me doubt my interpretation is there is no cap stated like with the old rewards of max of 5 years loyalty for $60 a year.  Therefore, if you're with them for 10 years, you could earn 100 points or $100 a year compared to the old cap of $60 a year.  A fixed $10 a year only seems terrible though because a 5 year customer would be losing $50 a year with the new rewards which is too much, but if my interpretation is correct they they would earn 50 points a year and would instead be losing only $10 per year, which still isn't great, but not as terrible as losing $50 a year.

Initially my thoughts also were that at say 5 years we would receive 5 times the annual 10 points but as there is no cap mentioned at 5 years I thought this was very unlikely. The wording can be interpreted either way though I haven’t gone to check the additional info as of this morning yet.

AE_Collector

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI  @olav1    According to Jade message yesterday, the new Plan will be introduced today.  Let's wait for couple more hours and maybe there will be surprises and we all will rush to switch over  🙂

olav1

I don't think anyone with a credit on their account will join unless the credit is also carried over as points !

DMC

@ottawa wrote:

@DMC wrote:

I guess we need clarification on the loyalty part because I'm reading it differently from some of you guys who are reading it as only a fixed 10 points or $10 a year.

Happy AnniversaryEarn 10 points for every 12 months you stay with us. Think of it as an anniversary present, except you don't have to get us anything.

However, I read it as 10 points for every 12 months as a cumulative number. So if you've been with them for 4 years, that's 4 sets of 12 months for 40 points or $40 a year.  

This is the relevant info for my relative who would get 5+92 points if they switch, note they're getting $5/mo Loyalty now (Telus counting them as joining May 2014). Yes $10/yr is much worse that $60/yr, and it's the dealbreaker for long-term customers I suspect. 

But for a new signup it's still better than Lucky (as an example, and AFAIK). 

2022-01-25_2-59-08 PM screencap.jpg

Hmm, if it really is only a fixed $10 a year now for loyalty, then that's an awful and drastic change because I'm about to hit 5 years in March to earn $60 a year.  Losing $50 a year by switching is not worth it at all.  I guess the one time switching points is supposed to entice you of which I would earn 65 points, so would be temporarily ahead, but it'll be wiped out too fast losing $50 a year.

@ottawa 

Oops! Good point but the 10 year calculation is looking forward.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Now that the complete information is up on the homepage, I strongly suspect that the feedback from the userbase is going to be really bad.   One thing that Public Mobile did get right was make this new program optional for existing customers.  A forced migration would have caused some customers to leave for another carrier. 

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DMC wrote:

Happy AnniversaryEarn 10 points for every 12 months you stay with us. Think of it as an anniversary present, except you don't have to get us anything.

However, I read it as 10 points for every 12 months as a cumulative number. So if you've been with them for 4 years, that's 4 sets of 12 months for 40 points or $40 a year.  

This is the relevant info for my relative who would get 5+92 points if they switch, note they're getting $5/mo Loyalty now (Telus counting them as joining May 2014). Yes $10/yr is much worse that $60/yr, and it's the dealbreaker for long-term customers I suspect. 

But for a new signup it's still better than Lucky (as an example, and AFAIK). 

2022-01-25_2-59-08 PM screencap.jpg

ottawa

@darlicious is that grandfathered plan pre Jan 27, 2015? There's a link in the email to T&C and it says this:

1. A Rewards-eligible plan: all in-market plans as of January 27, 2015, with the exception of 10-day plans, are eligible for Rewards. Plans offered between May 9, 2014 and January 26, 2015 are not eligible.

DMC

Happy Anniversary Earn 10 points for every 12 months you stay with us. Think of it as an anniversary present, except you don't have to get us anything.

However, I read it as 10 points for every 12 months as a cumulative number. So if you've been with them for 4 years, that's 4 sets of 12 months for 40 points or $40 a year.  That's still less than $48 a year for existing customers, so you're losing $8 a year.  However, one thing that makes me doubt my interpretation is there is no cap stated like with the old rewards of max of 5 years loyalty for $60 a year.  Therefore, if you're with them for 10 years, you could earn 100 points or $100 a year compared to the old cap of $60 a year.  A fixed $10 a year only seems terrible though because a 5 year customer would be losing $50 a year with the new rewards which is too much, but if my interpretation is correct they they would earn 50 points a year and would instead be losing only $10 per year, which still isn't great, but not as terrible as losing $50 a year.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AE_Collector 

The listed friend referrals and phone numbers are much clearer and accounts suspended via lost/stolen are listed as well. That should answer your question in regards to whether or not you lost a referral. 

@CountyDownIeUk 

This should help you with your referral that doesn't always get applied upon renewal.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

ottawa

Thanks for the directions. I don't see any way it's worth changing for an existing customer, certainly not on the lower plans (and I suspect not even on the $70). I looked at one family member's account on the $25 plan, and it says they'll get (note I've referred to $ not points, hoping the points can be converted to bill credits):

• $5 one-time Welcome bonus for switching to Public Points
  • $92 one-time Loyalty bonus (counted from Telus takeover in May 2014, they've been a customer since the CDMA days)
  • $36/yr ($3/mo) ongoing for 3 Friends instead of $36/yr ($3/mo) for 3 Friends 
  • $15/yr ($1.25/mo being 5% of $25) ongoing Cashback instead of $24/yr ($2/mo) for Autopay
  • $10/yr ongoing Anniversary bonus in May instead of $60/yr ($5/mo) Loyalty bonus

Do I have that right? Looks to me like a no-brainer to stay on the old plan, after a year they'd be up $97 and down $59 (net +$38). Ongoing they'd just be down $59 each year (net -$21 after year 2)? Breakeven less than 18 months then a net loss after that. Nice PM is even letting us stay on existing, I imagine they'll evict us all after a few years (I'm guessing 5 years, 2027).

Easy enough to say "don't switch to Public Points" but it's going to make it harder to convince friends to switch to PM, the old sales pitch was "it's really $13/mo which is cheaper than Lucky for the same thing, plus unlimited incoming calls, and the monthly fee will go down by $1/mo every year until it's only $8/mo if you stick around for 5 years". Maybe it was too generous before, but  😞

=aw

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Log in to self-serve. The Rewards area is now it's whole log in.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

All I see is a brief description that links to the rewards program. Am I missing something?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : It's up now.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up darkomega.

All will be revealed tomorrow including what you can redeem points for and the minimum points redemption. If you can continue to redeem points $1 for $1 to pay for your plan amount (with possible $5 or $10 minimum redemption values) as well as add ons, products (CPO phones?), perks, contest entries etc....(?) Then the new Public Points program may continue to attract and retain new customers, current customers and may even convince current customers with high reward $$ amount credits to switch to the new program if they know they can continue to cover their plan cost the majority of the time but cash out credits that they are unable spend currently due to grandfathered plans (I am in this category currently with one of my accounts.) Until the entire program is revealed tomorrow this is speculation.

@J_PM 

You may want to consider creating a board "PM Rewards/Public Points Program" to deal with the numerous questions, issues and discussions that will arise from the launch of the new program and its maintenance. If you look at the amount of threads created on RFD about the pc optimum program and its giant discussion thread this would help keep the "Get Support" board focused on phone, account and pm service issues. It would also help keep the Lounge board about "everything else not related to pm services and phone issues" so that oracles are not tempted to start moving Public Points and Rewards related threads in there as well.....further blurring the line of the Lounge's purpose.

Furthermore having a board focused on dealing with everything that can arise from having two concurrent rewards/points programs running will inevitably bring out members that will have a natural infinity to accurately answer questions, give advice and troubleshoot preventing unnecessary support request tickets being submitted to the CSA's to answer questions that should be dealt with by the community so the CSA's time is spent dealing with their main task...account issues. Seasoned pc optimum members also know that you get your info and advice from the RFD pc optimum thread first before redeeming, collecting or making points inquiries.

Rewards vs Public Points

Friend Referrals : $1 vs 1 point : essentially stays the same so no difference.

Autopay: $2 vs 5% of added funds to the account or charged to the autopay card (since this is non-refundable) and the easiest way to calculate the 5% in points to distinguish from existing account credits and any credits that may be added to the account by pm or point redemptions. This is a net loss for anyone paying less than a full $40 per month which is the majority of pm customers so a win win for pm by significantly increasing monthly cash flow.

Loyalty: $1 per 30 day cycle after the first year to a maximum of $5/30 days or $60/year vs 5 points +10 points per year+a one time buyout of 1 point per month of customer loyalty. $0 for new customers up to 120+points for some of the most loyal pm customers.

New customers : 5 points+0 loyalty points+10 points after 1st year=15 points 5 years=55 points 6 years=65 points 10 years=105 points

Current customer: 1st year=$0, 2nd year=$12, 3rd year=$24, 4th year=$36, 5th year=$48 5 year total=$120 6th year=$60  6 year total=$180  10 year total=$420

Current customer taking buy out after 5th year: $120 ea:rned+5 points+60 points=$185 value/65 points+10 points a year going forward 6 year total=$195 value/75 points 10 year total=$235 value/115 points

Huge win win for pm for major savings on all new customers and anyone who switches to the points program. This is the single biggest rewards loss leader after autopay on lower priced plans representing a 33% rebate and a 48% combined rebate with autopay and a huge loss on incoming cash flow on the $15 plan after the 6th year.

Community : Rewards up to $20 but really up to $15 vs Public Points up to 20(?) I cant see any  oracles moving over so up to 15 points+Give Back points? This I am interested in seeing.

Great idea if it gives more community members a reason to participate and earn community points but could cause some resentment if community rewards payouts remain so low for the hardest working (contributing) members that are likely to continue in the rewards program. (Not $$ amounts per badge but badge level numbers.)

There should be 3 to 4 in the top 1%, 8 to 10 in the top 5% and 10 to 14 in the top 10%. Badge level numbers don't accurately reward the contributions made to the community by those members. By adding an extra $100 on average to the community rewards payouts pm would be adding a priceless amount of appreciation to their most valuable customers.)

So this does seem like a change in earning  points in the community and if it makes it easier with more members participating and contributing then I am 100 % on board with all contributions to the community being rewarded in some way.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Agreed except new customers will not get it until they’ve been here for 12 months like the current loyalty reward. BUT they will be handed the whole years worth after 12 months rather than being handed $1 per month from month 13 to 24. 

AE_Collector

The wording reads that the loyalty reward starts right away. No indication that there is a 12 month delay.

Agreed except new customers will not get it until they’ve been here for 12 months like the current loyalty reward. BUT they will be handed the whole years worth after 12 months rather than being handed $1 per month from month 13 to 24. 

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  No, the Anniversary is NOT cumulative... it is awarded once a year on your anniversary, so equivalent to getting $0.83/mo. Also, the new Loyalty Reward never changes, at equivalent to $1/mo.

One correction I need to make. Looks like you get the Loyalty Reward right away, rather than waiting for a year for existing customers... so that is a bonus for new customers, for one year.

@pm-smayer97 

Makes no sense to have anniversary reward and loyalty reward. I’m convinced the loyalty perk as the called it is a one time “Buy Out” of ones existing loyalty level. Otherwise the wording would be implying that every month with PM we accrue an additional,point towards renewal so I will get 37 points / $37 very renewal. I don’t think so!!

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

Both my accounts received the “Thanks for Switching” email today as well. If there is anything I need to give PM credit for it is being consistent! It doesn’t matter what is being offered, changed, given away etc…..

AE_Collector

7776617D-46D4-45D9-8D95-3522E45275F7.jpeg

So the cat's out of the bag (I received the same email notification for all 5 of my existing plans).... Here is my analysis of the net change vs the existing Rewards program:

1 Pt = $1

1. Get 5pts for sign-up BUT LOSE all account credits (BIG LOSS for some, except for $5 worth) (This seems to replace the $10 referral bonus and is being given to all, even without a referral)
  2. Loyalty Perk - this seems to be a one time bonus for switchers only (vs ongoing as a fixed 1pt/mo as I first thought). This seems to offset any loss of account credits and/or old Loyalty Rewards. The longer you have been with PM, the bigger the one-time perk. As an offset to the latter, this is like PM pre-paying your old Loyalty reward. Divide this perk by your current Loyalty Reward rate to figure out the equivalent number of months you are getting "prepaid".
  3. Anniversary Reward points = < 1pt / mon (replacing the old Loyalty Reward) This is equivalent to $0.83/mo. This is a LOSS of up to $4.17/mon in year 5 and beyond.
  4. Autopay - replaced with 5% pts per amount spent monthly... If monthly plan is less than $40/mon, this is a LOSS, up to $1.50/mo). So, only a GAIN IF your plan is over $40. On the current most expensive plan of $70, that is only 1.5 pts ($) more.
  5. Refer-A-Friend - no change
  6. Community - no change (assuming PM uses the same formula vs existing Rewards customers)

So based on this, what is the benefit of the new rewards program for existing customers? What good reason would any existing customer switch? So, it seems there is a small advantage if you are far from earning the full Loyalty Reward under the old existing program, and more so if you are on a plan over $40, but it is still at the loss of you become a long-term customer.

EDIT: Correction to Loyalty + Anniversary Rewards comparison. Loyalty Perk is only a one-time perk for existing customers switching to the new rewards program and Anniversary bonus replaces the old Loyalty Rewards. The benefit of this is quickly offset by the lost of the old Loyalty Reward after about 14-16 months, depending on timing.

Because the new customer earns the Anniversary bonus sooner, they are ahead $10 after the first year over the existing customer, who only starts to earn the old reward after 12 months. So it takes the existing customer 28 months to reach the final break-even point. THEN the existing customer will earn more after that. This only applies in comparison to a recent customer just starting out before this new program took effect.

On the other hand, if an existing customer reaches the second anniversary, they now earn $24/yr ($2/mo Loyalty) vs $10 for the new Public Points program. So the benefits of the new Anniversary bonus vanishes after that (there are 3 cross-over points at 22 months (for the first breakeven point), then at 25 months (where you briefly fall behind) and at 28 months (when you finally break even and get and stay ahead). In other words, the closer you are to being a customer for 22 to 28 months, the less of a benefit is the new Public Points rewards program.

P.S. Based on this, it will take PM a LONG time (a few years?) before they reap the benefits of this program change. The savings to them are virtually nonexistent until about the 3rd year, depending on the number of switchers and the amount they have to pay out in Loyalty perks.

@LoreckAvery 

Quit thinking of what you have now and if you stay as is, what the downfall is. Assuming you are on a plan $40 or less.....you can still sell the positivity of the new points plan as being better in some cases. Just don’t say some. And don’t broadcast how much better your rewards are. I’m ready to sell !!

LoreckAvery

This seems much more confusing to be honest. A harder sell to refer to friends than simply stating the dollar amount you will receive off monthly 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

that's good they kept the referral rewards.

loyalty maxes out at $1.83/30 days.

auto-pay is 5% 

community same? what's "give back"?

Jags

"But all in all....not bad. I can see some people liking it. But as mentioned, this program can be “managed” by diluting the value of a point."

Exactly, previously it was cast in stone, now as you say dilution is simple.

Jags

If it was better or the same for customers, why would they switch. I remain skeptical.

Quick.....print your overview page and your referral numbers. 

Need Help? Let's chat.