Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Public Points ™

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news to share with the Public Mobile Community. We wanted you all to be the first to know we’re launching a new Rewards program soon - Public Points. 

Joining Public Points is optional for all existing customers. 

Your current rewards will remain the same. You’ll continue to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount. 

Once we launch the new program, all new customers will earn their rewards through Public Points.

If you’re interested in learning more about Public Points, and how you can join, we’ve provided some information below.

Why Public Points?

With Public Points, there are more ways to earn and spend rewards, making the program more flexible than before. Now you can earn and spend points how you want, when you want. You’re in control.

How does Public Points work?

Earn Points

Get rewarded in more ways than ever. Earn points just for paying your bill – for every dollar you spend, you’ll make 5% of it back in points.

Redeem points

We like to keep things simple. 1 point earned is valued at 1 dollar when redeemed - that’s it! 

Start saving

Redeem points on things that matter to you – like money off your bill, free add-ons or the chance to win awesome prizes.

Our Rewards Program has and continues to be our unique super power, by giving our customers the chance to earn even more!

Stay tuned for further details soon!

- Public Mobile Team

282 REPLIES 282

banny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got an email. 'Congratulations, you just earned 5 bonus points. Thanks so much for switching to our new PublicPoints reward program." Huh? Switch...do you just switch me without telling me?

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is the email I got.  They remove my acct balance credits !????

The loyalty points seem strange

All references are monthly, not 30 days

Note: I have not switched, I believe this was a test email

Thank you so much for switching to our new Public Points™ rewards program on .

We set you up with a welcome bonus of 5 Public Points – it’s just our way of saying thanks.

Here’s what to expect:

Welcome bonus: Your existing bill credits are gone, but you got 5 points just for signing up.

Loyalty perks: You earned 1 point for every month you spent with Public Mobile so far.

5% back: You’ll no longer earn points with AutoPay. But, with Points-Back, you’ll earn 5% of every dollar spent back in points.

Anniversary points: You'll earn 10 points for every 12 months you stay with us.

You’ll earn 10 points on .

Refer-A-Friend: Instead of $1/month, you’ll now earn 1 pt/month for each friend referred, who is active with Public.

You could earn points.

Community: Earn points by engaging with the Public Mobile community online, as well as with Give Back. You could earn up to 20 points.

Congratulations for getting started with Public Points. Now, it’s time

to earn and redeem rewards your way.

LeePublic

Someone screenshotted the email, and it seems like the Public Points program would be an improvement with minor changes.

Link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Public-points-confusion-automatically-enr...

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Question about the 5%, will you be rounding up or down?  Let's say you spend $15 (assume reward is based on pre-tax spending).  Do you earn 1 point or do you have to spend at least $20?  What if you spend $10?

Or do you just accumulate over time so two months of $10 gets you 1 point. Or do you earn partial points?

When does this go live for new customers?

This info might be buried in this thread, please include this the original post.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mitchnet12 

Lol.... @Luddite beat you to it.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Update-Introducing-Public-Points/m-p/77...

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@smdd wrote:

why was I automatically enrolled in the program?

I just got an email thanking for switching (I didn't) with an offer of 5 points as some sort of equal exchange for my existing credits (which are now up to $10 monthly so I'd never sign-up for that!)

also, with the program in general, it looks like you are reducing loyalty credits from $12 a year ($1 per month) to $10 a year (10 points). The 5% back is not as good a return on the $2 autopay if your plan is $25 - that's 8%.

@smdd This is some of the best additional info we have seen so far. And you may have answered your own question somewhat. Your $10 in existing credits every 30 days won’t be completely offset by the new 5% reward plan. At least some of the existing credits will be turned into points credits. Presumably additional points credited every 30 days like the current rewards. Until we see the final draft we won’t know exactly what rewards will be replaced by the 5% and what rewards will be replaced by a certain number of points Credit every 30 days. And that is all only if one chooses to convert to the new plan.

AE_Collector

mitchnet12

I shared this thread with a friend and this is the thumbnail that's associated with the page. Star Trek fans will get a kick out of this!

Screenshot_20220124-121435_Messages.jpg

Shaya916

No thanks prefer the way it is !

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonavin : New activations will be placed in the new system. You can be an old customer and keeping your old account but if you activate a new account for a new promo then that new account will be on the new system.

Jonavin

The old reward s are more valuable to almost anyone. I can only see people opting in if they were forced to because they want the latest promo plan. I assume that's what's going to happen. New promo plan, then you have to switch to new rewards program 

Am I wrong?

@smdd 

If you read the update to this thread at the top of the page you will see it was accidental human error while beta testing the roll out. You have not been prematurely enrolled without your consent.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

That update was very timely indeed. 😆

Timely.jpg

mitchnet12

@mitchnet12 wrote:

I happened to be browsing through some of the tier-2 service providers before seeing this post and noticed that they're now offering a selection of BYOD 3G data plans at prices that are comparable to the PM prices, without the rewards, for the $15 and $35 plans. I'll admit that I was surprised, and started to wonder what it would mean for PM, if tier-3 is less competitive, or if the prices should be coming down. I will be interested to see the fine details with the proposed rewards system, especially with the how many points will actually be rewarded with the 5% return per dollar spent. It's worth keeping in mind that the point valuation and redemption conditions could be revised down the road. At least with the existing program, a dollar is a predictable reward.

Here's an article about the how the 3G plans became available. It's not a bad idea to give customers the choice of a lite, practical, and affordable option based on how they use their phones. In fact, it is ethical (thank you CRTC). I probably wouldn't have switched to PM nearly 3 years ago if my previous provider hadn't hike up their basic BYOD plan to $49/month. I have no regrets with the move to PM with the discounts, rewards, and perks that I have received, not to mention cutting my phone bill in less than half.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Lol.....nothing ever works like clockwork around here but at least it's not the emergency broadcast system warning of an incoming missile attack on a tropical paradise !!

smdd

why was I automatically enrolled in the program?

I just got an email thanking for switching (I didn't) with an offer of 5 points as some sort of equal exchange for my existing credits (which are now up to $10 monthly so I'd never sign-up for that!)

also, with the program in general, it looks like you are reducing loyalty credits from $12 a year ($1 per month) to $10 a year (10 points). The 5% back is not as good a return on the $2 autopay if your plan is $25 - that's 8%.

Berger
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I wish that if it was an error, that they would have sent out another email saying that it was an error so that I wouldn't have had to go through the nonsense of having to try to make this community account just to get some answers.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM , just wondering, for the existing Customers, if one switches to the PM Points system and does not find it prudent, can they switch back?

HI @cory_c   It is supposed to start this week. So,  more info to come really soon.

cory_c
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello. Please provide an example of how "Points-Back" works. Thanks!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@J_PM  @CS_Agent   Look like a mistake, many got email saying they are converted to the new system.  Can your team look into it?

jib_tech

So many changes here it's hard to recognize the place. I'm undecided on this new program without more info. It's a wait and see game now.

@Anonymous @AE_Collector 

Is it possible to copy/paste here so we can see what it says?

Edit: Just saw the link on page 9 of this thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious , @AE_Collector : One account got an email. No texts.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AE_Collector 

I have gotten absolutely no literature on the points program other than what has been offered here.

@Anonymous 

Uh! Oh! I really am on the ignore!

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Anyone else get the text message (Ooops, I meant an eMail) today about the upcoming points plan?

My thoughts:

1 point is worth $1. So all existing rewards could potentially remain a part of the new plan plus the addition of 5% of plan cost back in points.

-2 points for Autopay

-1 to 5 points for loyalty

-1 point per referral

- X points for community involvement.

BUT who thinks this is really what’s happening? Not me. But I would have to assume that maybe they unload the Autopay $2 reward by saying it is “included in” the 5% scheme. Loyalty rewards …. Possibly remains OR becomes part of the 5% as well?

But the friend referrals rewards gone…. Doesn’t seem likely to me but?  And if community reward is gone so is most of the the community. Community involvement was mentioned in that 3 page email so it will remain somehow. Nothing we can do other than wait and see.

For those hung up in it saying improvements and more rewarding.. who ever heard of an announcement of a downgrade in a rewards program starting out like “We’re sorry, we have no choice but to eliminate most of the perks of the past”. It doesn’t matter how bad it is it is ALWAYS “Great News”!

PM plans are getting less expensive with time but rewards here haven’t been tied to to $ spent. We get the same reward in the $15 plan as the $50 plan. I had little doubt this day was coming after getting surveyed about this over a year ago.

Fasten your seat belts…

AE_Collector

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LeePublic 

No kidding! $15/4gb, $20/10gb, $25/15gb and $30/unlimited(35gb) w/4G or 5G data and unlimited calling and texting to Canada and Mexico and a free sim card.

LeePublic

Don't forget Mint Mobile, owned by our very own Canadian Deadpool actor, Ryan Reynolds! If Mint was launched in Canada, I'd sign up in a heartbeat!

@gpixel wrote:

well, from history we can say the new change was positive. the pioneer plans were inferior because of the lack of the rewards program. I have a feeling it's going to be better. maybe earning rewards through the community will be the big game changer. "earn when you want" it could go hand in hand on why the community was simplified.

@gpixel pioneer plans had access to a phone in support system.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI 

I sure hope dot mobile gets the approvals they need to launch their MVNO...

BearFBI

I didn't read this whole thread, I read the announcement, I can't believe I missed this.

Anyway, are friend referrals, community rewards, and loyalty gone for new customers ? This announcement does not sound fun "PM Points" sounds like Telus made PM a big carrier and removed all the perks but are making it sound like your saving money lol 

I can't make sense of this thread at all. To me it just sounds like the beginning of the end for what has been keeping PM alive and has been anticipated to be altered. 

Im glad we can grandfather our system but I bet soon limitations will be put in place or efforts will be made to phase us out of it. PM is not what it used to be man, not all good things last forever.... 

If this program is what I think it is... Im done with suggesting PM, they've lost my new customer business. 

Need Help? Let's chat.