Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Typically, you can move your number if:

• It's an active mobile or landline number
  • We have service in that area
  • It's from a service provider in the same local calling area
  • Number Portability is available in that area 

Tips for moving to Public Mobile

• Keep it live. Don't cancel your current service before switching to us. Your phone number must be active in order to move it
  • Have it at hand. Have your phone, an invoice from your current service provider and if possible, your service agreement handy when you move your number. Just to be safe, you should review your existing service agreement to find out what charges might apply
  • Don't delegate. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number

Click here for porting instructions.

46 REPLIES 46

chilli0613
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Jeremy,

I have been waiting for 2 days to port my number but no luck, sent lots of msg to PM and CHATR but still can't solve the problem.

Please help.

Michael

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A couple of other items I found useful:

• Will it work: if the IMEI checker on PM site does not recognize your phone - try http://willmyphonework.net/  - This confirmed the 4 phones I was moving were good to go despite not be found on PMs IMEI checker.
  • Get your SIMs: If you are moving multiple phones - order each SIM separately.  I tried to get 3 in one order by adding them to the cart - only 1 was shipped.
  • Time your move: Have a look at your renewal date for your current monthly plan.  If you move mid-month most carriers will not refund the difference.  Move about a week before the renewal date so you don't leave too much money on the table with your current provider.
  • Say Thank you: Write a letter to your current provider and thank them for making there service so expensive it forced you to move to a better company Smiley Tongue  I saved $500 a year by moving from Virgin to PM and I have a better plan!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Dear new customers wanting to sign up and port your number to Public Mobile:

Welcome!  Thanks for reading this thread!  I just wanted to emphasize that it's extremely important to enter your information correctly when you request the port through the self-serve portal.  You need the correct info, and it needs to be spelled, capitalized, punctuated, spaced, exactly the way that your information is recorded at the provider you are currently trying to leave.  If you mistype, or enter info that doesn't match what's in your current provider's system, the port will fail or only partially complete.  

If that does happen, don't panic, our friendly moderators (PM support staff) @Shazia_K or @Mary_M can help you.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@kutzki it depends on when bill was due etc. Virgin (Bell) could say "you owe us $100" but your bill date doesn't run until Aug 27. In that scenario you have plenty of time to get out and never pay.

The PROBLEM (which is brand new) is these days if you did so, Virgin would then blacklist your phone for non-payment and it would not be useable on Public anymore 

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@kav2001c

New as when Telus acquired Public Mobile 🙂

kutzki
Yes indeed, as am I. Lol

imm1304

Glad that you eventually took care of it @kutzki.. these things can be an inconvenience on the credit report and the collections are a pain to deal with.  

kutzki
Oh.... Well @imm1304 I can't comment on that. I'd already switched before it was past due. Actually got to the point where they had to send it to a collections agency their support was terrible. Lol

imm1304

@kutzki@ckl

I think owing money to your previous carrier is allowed as long as none of it is past due.  

This may vary from one company to another and some employees may choose to delay the port and offer you a retention department sales pitch one last time before you go.  But, as a general rule, a company can and often does refuse a port request if there is existing past due bill on that account.  

petertrea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Problem solved, Thanks Public Mobile!

petertrea

Thanks

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
@kutzki That's what happened to me...

petertrea

Thanks for the reply, I don't think i own any money.

kutzki
Lol, I don't know if this is true. I owed Virgin like $100 before switching to Wind and owed them it for like 6 months after that, paid it all off now, but idk if your statement is correct. Although this was more than a year ago so maybe things have changed?

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Also, one important thing is that your account balance is zero. In other words, you don't owe any money to that provider. This includes any future charges that have not been settled...

When you still owe money to that provider, chances are, they will not allow the port to go through.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Jeremy_M wrote:

Typically, you can move your number if:

• We have service in that area

@Jeremy_M is this new? In old days I know lots of people who used to activate an ON / PQ number because they were only provinces Public offered services then ported over their other numbers (AB I saw in personal experiance)

Need Help? Let's chat.