cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: [Help Needed] Let us know about your experience on the Community!

@CannonFodder  I tend to just go straight to the mod team. They get what I ask done and there aren't a million back-and-forth's going on.

For debates, which I'm not fond of -- ironically -- I use "Discussions" for. And I try not to because they are debates. Smiley LOL

You can't ask, for example, what the "best" smart gizmo is. This is a purely subjective question regardless of any likeness in popularity to it. For instance, I like my phones with removable batteries while most people indicate that they don't care or it doesn't bother them therefore I hold a very unpopular opinion/view that batteries should be removable yet aren't.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Berry23 wrote:

@CannonFodder  I tend to just go straight to the mod team. They get what I ask done and there aren't a million back-and-forth's going on.

I've kinda wondered why more people don't simply do that, but OTOH, given the questions that arise here, it seems that most of the people that come here and post questions, simply haven't done a search here, to find the answers themselves, and/or they don't know how to contact the Mod team.

For debates, which I'm not fond of -- ironically -- I use "Discussions" for. And I try not to because they are debates. Smiley LOL

You can't ask, for example, what the "best" smart gizmo is. This is a purely subjective question regardless of any likeness in popularity to it. For instance, I like my phones with removable batteries while most people indicate that they don't care or it doesn't bother them therefore I hold a very unpopular opinion/view that batteries should be removable yet aren't.

Hey, I'm TOTALLY with you on that one - if your phone's battery dies, you shouldn't have to, 1.) buy a new phone, 2.) take your phone to a repair shop to get a simple battery replacement, or 3.) buy a set of specialty tools, and almost completely disassemble your phone yourself, JUST to replace a battery!

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just started with Public Mobile last month.  I've had a few questions about things, and it seemed fairly easy to find answers on the Community.  I think it's a  great system!

Highlighted

I agree!

Highlighted

Thanks for the opportunity, I promptly filled it out as soon as I saw this, I'm happy to help out.

Highlighted

@CannonFodder  I honestly think the reason most people don't go straight for the moderator team is the exact same reason they don't for most other websites.

Take a moment and think about this; when you require help from a company that you are paying for services by, what do you do? You probably go to the website and look for a customer service number to call or an email to address them with. And what has become very common, especially on social media websites?

The "CONTACT US" button is at the very bottom of the website or someplace hidden. Why? Because they don't WANT to help you, they want you on your own, they want someone else paying for the same service to help you. If they were so h*llbent on helping you why wouldn't they place a customer service number at the very top of the website or a "CONTACT US" button at the top of the website and not the bottom?

On a side note, I recently replaced the battery for my iPhone SE and the battery seems to perform well the last ~16 hours with its new power supply. It took me a collective 3-4 hours to do the replacement as it was my first time repairing a device and as expected it was absolute h*ll as they design it to be to discourage people from doing it and buying a new.

I probably sound very upset at this point, I am, you should be too.

Highlighted

@Berry23 wrote:

@CannonFodder  I honestly think the reason most people don't go straight for the moderator team is the exact same reason they don't for most other websites.

Take a moment and think about this; when you require help from a company that you are paying for services by, what do you do? You probably go to the website and look for a customer service number to call or an email to address them with.

Yeah, but in my case, I often look for a "Live Chat" option, since I've found that it often gets a quicker response than calling them.

And what has become very common, especially on social media websites?

The "CONTACT US" button is at the very bottom of the website or someplace hidden. Why? Because they don't WANT to help you, they want you on your own, they want someone else paying for the same service to help you. If they were so h*llbent on helping you why wouldn't they place a customer service number at the very top of the website or a "CONTACT US" button at the top of the website and not the bottom?

Well, although there's a certain amount of truth to that, over the years I've found that the "Contact Us" button is almost always at the bottom of ANY web site.

On a side note, I recently replaced the battery for my iPhone SE and the battery seems to perform well the last ~16 hours with its new power supply. It took me a collective 3-4 hours to do the replacement as it was my first time repairing a device and as expected it was absolute h*ll as they design it to be to discourage people from doing it and buying a new.

Well, that IS, and always has been, Apple's M.O., which is why they're quite opposed to the "Right to Repair" movement. So, shall I assume that even though it took a few hours to do the repair, you feel like you accomplished something, not only by repairing an item they didn't intend for you to repair, but also by virtually giving Apple the middle finger?

Highlighted

I agree with you that companies make it hard to contact them. They also tend to put people on hold awhile even if its not a service paid it is not easy to find a contact us option. I noticed this also on sites like CRA, Service Canada, and etc. They keep sending you to another page before you can get what you want.

Highlighted

@CannonFodder 

It is on the vast majority of websites because companies don't care, don't want to be liable because what businessman wants to sell something and be liable for it when it fails? Not a smart one, that's for sure.

I fixed my phone for a few reasons.

1) I seriously do not want to buy a new phone. I have one, it works fine, it needed a new battery, I gave it one despite the unnecessary struggle. I ain't about to buy a new phone because a company says I should. I will if I so choose.

2) I want to keep the device to be able to say I kept a device (I have a long history of buying and selling). Since I intend to keep it I may as well treat it to a new life.

3) I did in part repair the device as a "virtual" middle finger to Apple. They need to know that their anti-practices won't fly with everyone and they sure do not have me fooled in any regard. I bought the item, I should be allowed to do whatever I want with it even if that means throwing it into a toilet and flushing it down the drain; regardless of if it's a "waste of money" it's my possession and we should have power over our own things. If Cook has a mansion and he doesn't want anyone in it, he has that decision because it's his possession. I have no right or grant to enter his mansion without his say-so. Well he has no right or grant to tell me I cannot replace the battery in a phone I bought because it is my possession.

@ckkong 

I think when a person is put on hold it's not always that the worker is busy. The worker has scripts and they may be catching up on that or just making you think they are doing something "important" to pass the time or to get other things done, related or not.

The CRA and Service Canada are government... Need I say anymore?

Highlighted

I also think the idea of phone companies requiring people to be on a contract is just a way of keeping people to use their services. A lot of times it seems that the cost isn't worth it even though there are options for prepaid phones, but its still better to have a plan that is a non-contract and lets you choose what phone you want to use. Its true if I want a better phone, but it costs too much I won't want to pay full price or a tab towards getting it. I prefer to wait for the price to drop to an affordable cost before considering to purchase a new phone.