cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Get a SIM + your next 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

I signed up on Tueaday, I was told the credit shows up after about a week. 

The fine print says, "Eligible customers will be credited the 30-day rate plan amount within 5 days. These credits will count towards your next plan renewal."

The "Next 30 days" literally means the next,  not the first 30 days, LOL.

Mayor / Maire

@c70nut wrote:

I signed up on Tueaday, I was told the credit shows up after about a week. 

The fine print says, "Eligible customers will be credited the 30-day rate plan amount within 5 days. These credits will count towards your next plan renewal."

The "Next 30 days" literally means the next,  not the first 30 days, LOL.

Yes, it's the second 30 day billing period that is taken care of, but I also don't believe the wording is clear and just adds confusion.

"The next 30 days" part is not so clear cut, in my opinion.  I know that Public Mobile is selling for plans that last for 30 days billing cycles, and that people might understand that to mean the second 30 day billing cycle is free.  However, the title does not say that.  It just says "next 30 days", which in literally means starting from right now (for free), and for exactly 30 days into the future. Public Mobile really means your next billing period is free, but fail to actually say that (at least in the title).

Mayor / Maire

I agree with @computergeek541 here. I don't like the use of that word in this context. This has been talked about before too. Actually...interesting seing it typed out this time. I decided to change my word choice from the previous time we talked about this from following to second.

I suggest instead of next it should be second.

Get a SIM + your next 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

Get a SIM + your second 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

Next is open to interpretation. It could be now. Lots of people seem to think so too judging by all the "hey where's my refund" or "hey how come I had to pay for the first month" questions.

And then I really liked @Carld123 saying it's really just a BOGO.

But of course at the end of the day I'm not the marketing executive making the big bucks here.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not sure how someone could expect...free sim...free first 30 days service ..with no out of pocket expenses....😱...phone a pizza joint tell them I ll try your pizza for free...if its good ill pay for the next one

Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

I agree with @computergeek541 here. I don't like the use of that word in this context. This has been talked about before too. Actually...interesting seing it typed out this time. I decided to change my word choice from the previous time we talked about this from following to second.

I suggest instead of next it should be second.

Get a SIM + your next 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

Get a SIM + your second 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

Next is open to interpretation. It could be now. Lots of people seem to think so too judging by all the "hey where's my refund" or "hey how come I had to pay for the first month" questions.

Your wording is much better.

I really don't think it's open to interpretation at all.  If I say "I will be in Toronto for the next 30 days", that means just that.  It doesn't mean I will be in that city 55 days from now.  What Public Mobile is doing for this promotion isn't what those words actually mean.  I fully believe that if someone were to dispute this with CCTS, go to high school English teacher, or even take it to court (very, very unlikely), I believe that they will all say the same.

In addition, when it comes to the Wireless Code of Conduct, doesn't it also saying something along that lines of terms must be clear and concise, and that if there's room for confusion, that the ambiguous terms must be applied in the way that is favorable to the customer?  I could be wrong about that, but I believe that I read that somewhere.

Mayor / Maire

@Carld123 wrote:

Not sure how someone could expect...free sim...free first 30 days service ..with no out of pocket expenses....😱...phone a pizza joint tell them I ll try your pizza for free...if its good ill pay for the next one

I actually believe that the freebie given on the first product or service is actually more common than the second product or service.

Here's the thing though with the pizza example:  You will already have the first pizza, and the next pizza must be the second one.

With the "next 30 day" thing, the next day is tomorrow.  It doesn't say the "second 30 days", as @z10user4 was saying or my wording earlier of "second 30 day billing cycle is free".

Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Carld123 wrote:

I actually believe that the freebie given on the first product or service is actually more common than the second product or service.

Here's the thing though with the pizza example:  You will already have the first pizza, and the next pizza must be the second one.

With the "next 30 day" thing, the next day is tomorrow.  It doesn't say the "second 30 days", as @z10user4 was saying or my wording earlier of "second 30 day billing cycle is free".

Indeed. These are the subtle nuances of this stupid English language.

Truth be told computergeek541, your earlier wording inspired my post. Thanks.

Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Carld123 wrote:

Indeed. These are the subtle nuances of this stupid English language.

Truth be told computergeek541, your earlier wording inspired my post. Thanks.

The actual fine print for the promotion is fine because it says "next renewal", and a renwal for a cell phone plan is based on when a fee is due to start a new billing cycle.  It is also repetitive, which means that it can't possibly apply to first 30 days because plan payment for a new billing period has never yet repeated. 

This is matter of the fine print saying one thing, but the first thing that the customer sees (the thread title) saying a different thing.  It's no wonder some customers believe that the first 30 days should have been free.

This turned into quite the thread over someone's miss interpretation over 10$...anyhow...merry xmas

When someone spots the word free for a service or product..9 out of 10 jump at it....ive done it... But in the end..wording/fine print whatever the case may be leaves you thinking and starting threads..lol