cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get a SIM + your next 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

Jared_K
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Community,

Effective December 15, 2018 until December 31, 2018 at 11:59PM ET, we are offering a SIM card and your next 30 days for $0 when you activate a 30-day plan in-store at participating retailers! This will be applied as an account credit and the offer is available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

• 30 Days for $0: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card in-store at a participating retailer on a 30-day plan from December 15 to December 31, 2018, you will get your next 30 days of service for $0!
    • Participating retailers include:
      • Walmart
      • London Drugs
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique
      • K-Mobile
      • Select Koodo Authorized Dealers
    • The credit value that you will receive will be equal to the price of the rate plan on which you activated your SIM card. This credit will cover the rate plan cost only. It will not cover additional costs such as Add-Ons.
    • Eligible customers will be credited the 30-day rate plan amount within 30 days. These credits will count towards your next plan renewal.
    • For example, if you sign up on our current $35 for 1 GB at 3G speed, Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and Unlimited International Text 30-day plan, your account will be credited $35 within 30 days of activating.
    • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message shortly after the credit has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account.
    • You will not need to top-up your account at your first renewal date, unless you purchase Add-Ons, change or future-date your plan to a more expensive plan during the first 30 days. Note that, if you have registered for AutoPay, you will continue to receive your $2 AutoPay reward every 30 days. All Reward rules, which can be found at publicmobile.ca/rewardrules, apply.  
  • $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate in-store only at participating retailers.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team  

89 REPLIES 89

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lle99 wrote:

Do all branches of London drugs sell Public mobile sims? How do I find out which one does?

Thank you

@lle99

I would say internet search for close by locations then call...

lle99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do all branches of London drugs sell Public mobile sims? How do I find out which one does?

Thank you

c70nut
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

"Next" is a vauge term.  Just to split hairs further-   if a 30 day term is one unit then your next 30 days could be after the initial 30 day unit.  Also, if you're credited with $10 on your account within 5 days you're money has been returned after the itial charge, albiet in the form of a credit not cash.  

hlu

Hi Syhatheb,

If your phone plan started before December 15th, you may just missed it since you activated in store, it done.

But just be happy, my family and friends had been with the firm for few years and we all very pleased with the services, which I mean no surprise no problem at all, auto pay & loyalty discount keep building up. Every here and there will be some promotion may work for you.

Good choice by going with PM. 

Carld123

@computergeek541

True...fun and laughs are the big reward here...

@Carld123 wrote:

@computergeek541

Merry xmas..all our comments count..right or wrong...good or bad

At least we're having a little fun with it.  The community forum has been a little slow the past few days. Having a little fun sometimes is better than reading some of the "angry" posts that we see (although sometimes, those customers have a right to be upset).

@Carld123 wrote:

@computergeek541

You can message a moderator by private message..and include your concerns and details.....lol ..and again .lol ..im done with this thread..😃😃

LOL

I could do that, but if Public Mobile hasn't noticed by now that we're getting a few threads about customers asking why they had to pay for the first 30 days, I'm really not sure how me sending a private message is going to accomplish much. 

Besides, it's not by job to keep Public Mobile's marketing department in line, so me complaiing privately or sharing my concerns with them doesn't gain me anything.  At least, this way, I get some community rewards.  LOL.  That part was a joke.  Posting 5 or so messages about this topic isn't going to change my reward level for December.

Carld123

@computergeek541

Merry xmas..all our comments count..right or wrong...good or bad

Carld123

@computergeek541

You can message a moderator by private message..and include your concerns and details.....lol ..and again .lol ..im done with this thread..😃😃

@Carld123 wrote:

This turned into quite the thread over someone's miss interpretation over 10$...anyhow...merry xmas

I'll agree with you on that fact that the thread has turned into debate about Public Mobile's choice of words.

However, I don't see a customer expecting the first 30 days to be free to be misinterpretation.  I believe the customer is right to expect that.  It just wouldn't be worth the fight for it, since the second 30 days will be free.

This isn't the first time we've read about people believing that there's no charge for the first 30 days.  Shouldn't customers expect Public Mobile to advertise correctly?  I know the wording wasn't deliberate, but should a correction not be made?

Carld123

When someone spots the word free for a service or product..9 out of 10 jump at it....ive done it... But in the end..wording/fine print whatever the case may be leaves you thinking and starting threads..lol

Carld123

This turned into quite the thread over someone's miss interpretation over 10$...anyhow...merry xmas

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Carld123 wrote:

Not sure how someone could expect...free sim...free first 30 days service ..with no out of pocket expenses....😱...phone a pizza joint tell them I ll try your pizza for free...if its good ill pay for the next one

I actually believe that the freebie given on the first product or service is actually more common than the second product or service.

Here's the thing though with the pizza example:  You will already have the first pizza, and the next pizza must be the second one.

With the "next 30 day" thing, the next day is tomorrow.  It doesn't say the "second 30 days", as @Anonymous was saying or my wording earlier of "second 30 day billing cycle is free".

Indeed. These are the subtle nuances of this stupid English language.

Truth be told computergeek541, your earlier wording inspired my post. Thanks.

The actual fine print for the promotion is fine because it says "next renewal", and a renwal for a cell phone plan is based on when a fee is due to start a new billing cycle.  It is also repetitive, which means that it can't possibly apply to first 30 days because plan payment for a new billing period has never yet repeated. 

This is matter of the fine print saying one thing, but the first thing that the customer sees (the thread title) saying a different thing.  It's no wonder some customers believe that the first 30 days should have been free.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Carld123 wrote:

Not sure how someone could expect...free sim...free first 30 days service ..with no out of pocket expenses....😱...phone a pizza joint tell them I ll try your pizza for free...if its good ill pay for the next one

I actually believe that the freebie given on the first product or service is actually more common than the second product or service.

Here's the thing though with the pizza example:  You will already have the first pizza, and the next pizza must be the second one.

With the "next 30 day" thing, the next day is tomorrow.  It doesn't say the "second 30 days", as @Anonymous was saying or my wording earlier of "second 30 day billing cycle is free".

Indeed. These are the subtle nuances of this stupid English language.

Truth be told computergeek541, your earlier wording inspired my post. Thanks.

@Carld123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with @computergeek541 here. I don't like the use of that word in this context. This has been talked about before too. Actually...interesting seing it typed out this time. I decided to change my word choice from the previous time we talked about this from following to second.

I suggest instead of next it should be second.

Get a SIM + your second 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

Next is open to interpretation. It could be now. Lots of people seem to think so too judging by all the "hey where's my refund" or "hey how come I had to pay for the first month" questions.

Your wording is much better.

I really don't think it's open to interpretation at all.  If I say "I will be in Toronto for the next 30 days", that means just that.  It doesn't mean I will be in that city 55 days from now.  What Public Mobile is doing for this promotion isn't what those words actually mean.  I fully believe that if someone were to dispute this with CCTS, go to high school English teacher, or even take it to court (very, very unlikely), I believe that they will all say the same.

In addition, when it comes to the Wireless Code of Conduct, doesn't it also saying something along that lines of terms must be clear and concise, and that if there's room for confusion, that the ambiguous terms must be applied in the way that is favorable to the customer?  I could be wrong about that, but I believe that I read that somewhere.

Carld123

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with @computergeek541 here. I don't like the use of that word in this context. This has been talked about before too. Actually...interesting seing it typed out this time. I decided to change my word choice from the previous time we talked about this from following to second.

I suggest instead of next it should be second.

Get a SIM + your second 30 days of service for $0 in-store!

Next is open to interpretation. It could be now. Lots of people seem to think so too judging by all the "hey where's my refund" or "hey how come I had to pay for the first month" questions.

And then I really liked @Carld123 saying it's really just a BOGO.

But of course at the end of the day I'm not the marketing executive making the big bucks here.

@c70nut wrote:

I signed up on Tueaday, I was told the credit shows up after about a week. 

The fine print says, "Eligible customers will be credited the 30-day rate plan amount within 5 days. These credits will count towards your next plan renewal."

The "Next 30 days" literally means the next,  not the first 30 days, LOL.

Yes, it's the second 30 day billing period that is taken care of, but I also don't believe the wording is clear and just adds confusion.

"The next 30 days" part is not so clear cut, in my opinion.  I know that Public Mobile is selling for plans that last for 30 days billing cycles, and that people might understand that to mean the second 30 day billing cycle is free.  However, the title does not say that.  It just says "next 30 days", which in literally means starting from right now (for free), and for exactly 30 days into the future. Public Mobile really means your next billing period is free, but fail to actually say that (at least in the title).

c70nut

I signed up on Tueaday, I was told the credit shows up after about a week. 

The fine print says, "Eligible customers will be credited the 30-day rate plan amount within 5 days. These credits will count towards your next plan renewal."

The "Next 30 days" literally means the next,  not the first 30 days, LOL.

Carld123

@ahmsav wrote:

@Moderator_Team Actually I got the plan for $10 and paid using the $22 voucher so the balance in my payments should stay at $22 for the renewal after 30 days, but my balance was reduced to $12 so that means that I was charged during my first 30 days?

Regarding the other system error: I was charged for 250 MB data that I never purchased, however that has been refunded automatically as system error so I am wondering that I may also get my $10 back for first 30 days?

@ahmsav Like I said earlier...you pay for your first plan...so that was your 10$...next renewal you will pay 0..and still have your 12$ left as a balance...everything is as it should be..there are no errors..

Think of it as a buy one get one free deal...not a buy none get one free

ahmsav

@Moderator_Team Actually I got the plan for $10 and paid using the $22 voucher so the balance in my payments should stay at $22 for the renewal after 30 days, but my balance was reduced to $12 so that means that I was charged during my first 30 days?

Regarding the other system error: I was charged for 250 MB data that I never purchased, however that has been refunded automatically as system error so I am wondering that I may also get my $10 back for first 30 days?

Carld123

@ahmsav wrote:

I activated my account in store on Dec 17, but I was charged for the plan. How do I get the first 30 days for $0? It didn't apply automatically and there were also some other system error charges in my payment history, who corrects them?

@ahmsav as the promo states..you will get your next 30 day plan free...so you pay for the first one..second is free...also what are the errors you mentioned?

ahmsav

I activated my account in store on Dec 17, but I was charged for the plan. How do I get the first 30 days for $0? It didn't apply automatically and there were also some other system error charges in my payment history, who corrects them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pyd_2525

As above. The price of the plan that you paid for will appear in your account. That can then be used to buy add-ons or be used towards your next renewal.

Carld123

@Pyd_2525 wrote:

I went into the store at the mobile shop to set up my account. It never gave me the options for $0 for 30 days. I did get my $0 SIM card but not my free 30 days. Why?

@Pyd_2525 you will get the free 30 days at your first renewal

Pyd_2525

I went into the store at the mobile shop to set up my account. It never gave me the options for $0 for 30 days. I did get my $0 SIM card but not my free 30 days. Why?

c70nut

I signed up today at The Mobile Shop.  It took about 20 minutes and was fairly straight forward.  I had my own phone and the SIM card was free with the current promo, as was the first month on the 30 day plan.  Signing up for autopay give another $2 credit per month.  I've been looking around for a good budget paln and this seems like the bet one out there.

dna2016

And the promos continue, great job PM, now I'm just waiting to see a special boxing day plan offer.  You're providing great promo credits, just hope to see a special plan offering, in LTE if you don't mind Smiley LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kpurest wrote:

and if i wanna use my credit in account, I need to make a payment or if I just leave it then they gonna automatically deduct for next payment? 

Renewals will convert earned rewards into Available Funds and add to any credits already there. Then it will take from Available Funds. If not enough then if autopay is setup it will take what it needs from that. Not all...just what it needs. If autopay is not setup and there weren't sufficient funds in Available Funds then your service stops.

Need Help? Let's chat.