cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Get a SIM + $20 bill credit when you activate a Talk + Text plan at Walmart!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of July 3, 2018: This offer will expire on July 4th, 2018. 

Updated as of June 29, 2018: This is now a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice.

Hey Community, 

As a competitive response, effective today, we are offering a SIM card and a $20 account credit when you activate a Public Mobile SIM card on a 30 or 90-day Talk + Text plan at Walmart! Note that this is now a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice.  

How to Get this Offer:

• $20 account credit: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card on a 30 or 90-day Talk + Text plan at a Walmart location, you will get a $20 account credit!
    • Eligible customers will be credited within 72 hours. These credits will count towards your next renewal date.
    • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message when the credit has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account.
  • $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate on any 30 or 90-day plan at a Walmart location.
    • If you wish to pick up a SIM card in-store and activate at home, you will be asked to pay the regular retail price by the retailer.
    • SIM cards purchased online will be regular price ($10 each)

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team 

386 REPLIES 386

BrandonBerner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Time to share my experience with this Walmart deal!

I went into Walmart today, asked them if they know about the free sim + $20 credit, and they had NO CLUE. I simply showed them this forum post, and they gave me a free SIM card, setup my account, and ported my number.

I chose the $10 talk & text plan. Now in order for me to create the account, they needed to scan a plan barcode. They did not have the barcode for the $10 plan, so they charged me $22 in store which paid for the $10 plan, and the remaining was just a credit on my account. I used my bank card to purchase this (for those thinking its credit card only, its not). So I now have a $10 talk & text plan, $12 credit + $20 = $32 credit.

Once my $20 credit arrives (in 2-3 days), I will be changing my plan to $45/mo Talk,Text,Data.

Hope this helps someone!

cmatassa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just switched to Public Mobile from Rogers, and the process at Walmart was seemless.  I was able to get the SIM card for 0$ as advertised, and the guy let me fill in all of my personal account information myself on the computer instead of having to say everything out loud.  I was able to put in the number of the person who reffered me without issue, picked the plan I wanted and was out of there in 15 minutes.  My number ported over from Rogers within 30 minutes, and everything was running smoothly right away.  Couldn't have asked for better.

Ahmed2162
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Upon the renewal of your second-month cycle, you can change your plan to any of Public Mobile's available plans, that includes talk plan only. As for the referral, I am not 100% sure, I will get back to you as I figure it out!

Hope this helped!

-Ahmed2162

Jshi

Sorry I posted a misleading message. I'd ve said the $20 credit (not credit card) is only valid for talk+ text plan, not talk+ text+ data plan, double confirmed by the sales @ walmart.

Joe

V_Patel

Hello,

I have purchased a new SIM card from Walmart and person over there told me that within 72 hours I would get the credit of 20 $. It's been 48 hours however, I didn't get credit on my account.

Thanks in advance.

Quinte

Hi. I don't pretend to be an expert but here is how the thread began...

$20 account credit: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card on a 30 or 90-day Talk + Text plan at a Walmart location from now until June 30, 2018, you will get a $20 account credit!

• Eligible customers will be credited within 72 hours. These credits will count towards your next renewal date.
  • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message when the credit has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account

Marcia185

I'm a new customer. I signed up in wal-mart but did not get this 20 bill credit I was promised. 

Quinte

Turns out the $20 credit is indeed for talk and text only. And if I understood the representative correctly, it is only for province-wide calling and you cannot add data in the first month.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Sorry, the user wrote "the credit card is only valid for talk&text" - which is why I said yes -  oops? I should have figured he was referring to the credit. So the 20$ CREDIT is only eligible for talk&text plans YES. However, in terms of payment, credit card can be used for any plan.

I hope this makes sense!

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Yes, ONLY talk/text plans are eligible. This has been confirmed by Brooke.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @Jshi,

thank you for reaching out to us and for sharing your recent experience activating your new sim card at a WalMart location!

I'm really sorry to hear that you were told that you'd be able to only activate a specific plan using your credit card. To clarify, the cost of your plan (or any plan) can be paid via credit card or payment vouchers. I'd like to hear a little more about this encounter, can you please send me a private message and include the details of this location? 🙂

Thank you,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Jshi

I just activated text+talk +data at Walmart yesterday. was told the credit card is only valid for TEXT+TALK only. couldn't believe it but was double confirmed by the sales. 

Suggest to confirm it before you do any.

Quinte

I was looking for an answer to that too as I plan to sign up at Wally World tomorrow. My guess is that it is only the talk & text plans, with the hope that one will then use one's $20 credit to add an incredibly pricy amount of data. The nice part is that any unused portion rolls over to the next month, if I understand the conditions correctly. Combine that with the free SIM and this looks like a nice way to get started with a new carrier.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smp99, it is for both ( free sim & $20 credit).

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are people getting both free SIM and $20 Credit. 

I re-read the original post and I think you only get one of the following if activation done at Walmart:

- $20 credit on any talk & text plan

or

- Free SIM on any plan.

Anyone care to confirm or dispute

feevilah

yeah me too

feevilah

yeah me too

feevilah

Ummmm, I just went into walmart today and got them to set up my $40 plan....will I get a credit? THey didnt mention any of this, just got home and I PAID for my sim card that they activated in store. hrmmmm

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sit down with your favorite bevarage ..... Scroll back up to the top of the page(10) and read my short true tale of success with getting a refund !

Based on;

". . . $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate on any 30 or 90-day plan at a Walmart location..."

My interpretation, and obviously same by, both the wireless company salesperson (embedded within the Wal' electronics dept., and using their acc'ting mechanism) and the Wal-mart co-manager  . . . . I got a full refund on my SIM purchase (a Text only plan) !

Looking at Brooke's promo post with the Friday (stated upper right corner),  any applicable purchase may 11th --- june _, 2018 is eligible, IMHO

Just make sure you take in all appropriate 'paper' (like i did),  'cause I don't expect the frontline staff to be up-to-date on the latest  and some not so upfront,   'cause for them it is very likely sales $ that keeps them there !!

Good Luck

doug c

Belivo

Walmart mobile division is not doing a good job with this promo. I send friends in as well and they received the same in Moncton, NB Walmart. 

When will a memo go to the stores to remind them of this offer? 

Aakash

I don't know who is lying. I went to Walmart in Toronto and asked them for the offer and they said there are no offers on data+text+talk 35$ plan. Even the 0$ plan they said is not for that plan. Can you please clarify what the hell is going on ? I wasted so much of my time going there and coming back empty handed

Korade

Hi Guodong,

This promotion has started recently, within the last week or so. Prior to this, SIM cards were charged at regular price and there was no credit. 

Korade

Guodong

I joined in two weeks ago, when I activated, the service guy told me there was no any free sim and credit at all, I think maybe he made a mistake. Can I have these back?thx

ed94

ok good info!!

thanks

dougc

Success !

Printed off the inital page/announcement from Brooke.

Hi-lited --- name, as a competitive... effective today, available to new...june30,  $0SIM cards will be $0...on any 30 o 90 day plan at a walmart location.

Also printed off my post on this thread.

Took in the doc' along with transaction summary,  and my original receipt for the SIM to Wally.

Asked at cust. service if they handle things from wireless dept. sent over to wireless,  the same clerk who had already seen me twice yesterday saw me coming around the corner (her eyes bugged out ) asked me if I was having porting problems ... I hesitated a bit  said yes actually I am they are looking into it, but this is about the SIM card and a promo.....

Anyways she looked at the promo' started 'brushing it off'... I interjected quietly that I kow fed'competition bureau does not appreciate bait'nswitch, also stated okay let's call your manager (she mentioned) let's fix this, she called, saw him (or another) -went to him - came back with him and he waved me over to head over to customers service.

Where he (co-manager) quite happily,  had them process me a full refund on the SIM !!!

I also learned that the wireless dept. at Wally'  is NOT wally'   but a seperate business entity that just uses their accounting mechanisms.

That part of this attempt to become a PubMob end user, had a happy ending... now to see if I can actually get Telus to port my number properly!

doug

ps.  almost 24 hrs, 

ref. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/3-5hrs-later-and-still-no-joy/m-p/240...

daravenh

I signed up at Walmart on May 15th and received this promotion. On checking my credit card online, the amount of $11.20 was also applied on this same date. I thought that the $20 credit would cover the first two months. If not, how is this credit to be used?

dougc

!  Had noticed and commented on this yesterday p.m. .

Also seen but not mentioned was lack of start date of offer(s) ... decent lag time for ending !

But  only date of any sort that I could see was in upper right where it shows "Friday",    so when I  print this off to take into wally' and request a refund 

.. if they peruse the doc',  they will likely say today is friday sooo not valid .. even though it was presumably kicked off yesterday (thursday)  or last Friday (may 11th)  !!?

later,

doug

Mle-88

That sucks I set up my new phone at Walmart a couple of days ago 😞 

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@chakri264 Yes, referrals works! At the time of SIM activation, it is located on the first page. Each referral will give you one dollar off your bill.

2018-05-18_110242.jpg

chakri264
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How does referral thing work if you decide to take this opportunity? Do referrals still work at all?

Need Help? Let's chat.