cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Starting March 15th, we’re excited to bring you something that’s been long requested- a new Ready-Made plan at $15 with Unlimited International Text. This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

•      30-day plan
  •      100 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  •      Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •      +Bonus 250 MB with AutoPay
  •      Voicemail and Call Display

How to Get This Offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

Making a call

Answering a call

Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages

Using call forwarding

Calling *611 (the IVR)

Making or receiving calls from 911

Using wifi calling apps when connected to Wifi

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 100 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 100 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.  

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

473 REPLIES 473

coffee
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@TheOldVR wrote:

@coffee wrote:

@crazyfrog wrote:

Need suggestion.

Wanted to subscribe to the new $15 unl incoming plan. Went to Walmart in Windsor, ON, the plan doesnt show up. Rep refuses to sell me just sim card so i can do it all online.

Shouldnt we be able to buy SIM at Walmart? Is subscribing to a plan then and there a must?

PM should send a notice to Walmart -  The Walmart in Cobourg gave me a hard time trying to steer me away from PM and go with Lucky instead. In fairness it was not all sales persons at their electronic section but just this older woman that seemed to be the supervisor.

Did they have a valid reason?

The Walmart salesperson sells many providers so they might have been trying to look out for you?

So it is your opinion that the Walmart person was doing me a favour by trying to steer me away from PM?  

@kselmak wrote:

I didn't notice till now that you can actually tell the data usage apart, I'm curious how will work under restriction cause it looks like it devoured most of it in backgroundScreenshot_20190604-131708.png

Yes that's a lot background usage. My background data is always restricted so looking at my Whatsapp usage it's showing less tha 20 kb background and 20 kb foreground so restricting it should make a difference for you too.  

@kselmak wrote:

Hi @dabr 

Sorry it posted while I was trying to quote, then I couldn't take it back

I hit post myself without meaning too, easily done:)

Hi @dabr 

Sorry it posted while I was trying to quote, then I couldn't take it back

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kselmak wrote:

I didn't notice till now that you can actually tell the data usage apart, I'm curious how will work under restriction cause it looks like it devoured most of it in background

You've been here a little while now. This post isn't really relevant to the thread. Maybe you'd like to start your own thread.

Oops hit post accidently! 🙂  Was wondering what your post was about?

Edit: @kselmak  now your post has disappeared or you're editing:)

I didn't notice till now that you can actually tell the data usage apart, I'm curious how will work under restriction cause it looks like it devoured most of it in backgroundScreenshot_20190604-131708.png

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@SD08 wrote:

@MandyJ wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And now add to that the new add-on of 500 minutes Canada-wide for 5 bucks...rock n roll.

I wonder if anyone saw this announced anywhere...

I saw a post about it here in the community recently and it's now showing up on the Plans page of the site under Add-Ons. I didn't hear/see any official announcements about it, however.

There has not been any official public announcement about the new add-on yet. By accident or design, the new add-on has gone live ahead of any public announcement.

So at least this should mean it's a permanent add-on.  To my mind the 200 minutes has really become a bit redundant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SD08 wrote:

@MandyJ wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And now add to that the new add-on of 500 minutes Canada-wide for 5 bucks...rock n roll.

I saw a post about it here in the community recently and it's now showing up on the Plans page of the site under Add-Ons. I didn't hear/see any official announcements about it, however.

There has not been any official public announcement about the new add-on yet. By accident or design, the new add-on has gone live ahead of any public announcement.

It's just further indication of the useless communication from the company. Sure yeah maybe when things are falling apart no one says anything about it. Not that I condone it. But a new add-on to SELL...crickets. Quite incredible really.

I think it was just blind luck and good observing on the part of surreyboz that he saw it. His chin must have just dropped in astonishment.

But...this is the $15 thread. There are other threads more relevant.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MandyJ wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Bottomshelf wrote:

"If you are worried and your life depends on sms open a TextNow account as well, you'll also get access to unlimited outgoing to Canada and USA.

I have it on around the clock thought I used it only couple of times and it uses about 150 mb in 30 days."

Thanks for your comments.    

150 mb is quite a bit considering  the $15 plan only allows 250 mb.  Most of the time I am using free wifi with What's App. I only turn on data when I  need to use it.

I agree with that too, 150mb is quite a bit.  I've actually left my data on for the last 2 or 3 weeks and haven't really come anywhere close to depleting the 250, like you I use wifi most of the time too along with Whatsapp.

Hi

I let it run in purpose without any restrictions just to see how much it would goble up.  I never noticed an option of turning it off (like fongo app) or giving up incoming calls to preserve resources (like many VoIP apps). Next month I'll try with data restriction and see how far word that take.

Here's what I have for data use April 30-may 29, and also WiFi for last month. Keep in mind that I hardly used it, couple of calls and couple of texts that's all, but it was on as long as my phone was on. And I kept everything on, first time ever, I don't do that easy, I didn't do that even when I had unlimited with mobilicity, I truly believe if you don't need it turn it off not good for your battery probably for your health and your service provider. 

Screenshot_20190603-183723.png

Screenshot_20190603-183708.png

@MandyJ wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Few minutes ago it wasn't there..and now yes!!! 

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bottomshelf wrote:

"If you are worried and your life depends on sms open a TextNow account as well, you'll also get access to unlimited outgoing to Canada and USA.

I have it on around the clock thought I used it only couple of times and it uses about 150 mb in 30 days."

150 mb is quite a bit considering  the $15 plan only allows 250 mb.  Most of the time I am using free wifi with What's App. I only turn on data when I  need to use it.

I agree with that too, 150mb is quite a bit.  I've actually left my data on for the last 2 or 3 weeks and haven't really come anywhere close to depleting the 250, like you I use wifi most of the time too along with Whatsapp.

Bottomshelf

I never had issues and it looks like many didn't have any issues either but at least a dozen did. Haven't notice any complaints about it for at least a week, so I'm assuming it's settled. If you are worried and your life depends on sms open a TextNow account as well, you'll also get access to unlimited outgoing to Canada and USA.

I have it on around the clock thought I used it only couple of times and it uses about 150 mb in 30 days. Also a great option to have around if you need to call someplace where you must wait. If it's using to much data just remember to kill process after you are done using it, it looks like it doesn't restart by itself (yet)

@Bottomshelf wrote:

I am planning to migrate to the new $15 plan with the unlimited incoming phonecalls. 

Are there still issues with texting?

Thanks in advance.

At the same time the problems appeared with the $15 plan, the problems occurred with multiple $10 plans I have too. It required PM AND another carrier to solve this problem from both ends.

Others have required intervention too but I also have not seen any new complaints about this in a little while.

For me the problem seems to be resolved. You can read about it here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Problems-with-Texting-on-Public-Mobile-Re...

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I wasn't aware of the new addon, really great deal, I got 200 while back and didn't have to use it for Canada, but came in handy for USA couple of times. Though after they added small data on it I'm using TextNow for USA. 

Great value for 10 plans too

GR
Mayor / Maire

I've had 2 phones on this plan since it came out and had no problems at all!  I had the old 15$ plan and went in self serve to Change the plan at next renewal date and they both switched flawlessly.  Also on the weekend they came out with an add on of 500 Canadian minutes for 5$ so I got that just incase the lines go over the 100 outgoing minutes.   Great service by public mobile! 

MandyJ

@Bottomshelf wrote:

I am planning to migrate to the new $15 plan with the unlimited incoming phonecalls. 

Thanks in advance.

This is the plan I'm currently on, and though I can't speak about if others are having texting issues, I can say that I haven't had any issues texting on this plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Haven't seen complaints for a while now.

User Arman popped up recently who was having that problem and I asked him but he hasn't replied.

Bottomshelf

Thanks in advance.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

QUESTIONS:

1) In the above post, I am confused as to what is meant by "100 minutes is the total combine incoming and outgoing usage ... ".  This contradicts what is being offered?  Wouldn't the new PM offering of "Unlimited Incoming Minutes" mean you are ONLY limited to 100 minutes of OUTGOING minutes?

Ans: The new one will have unlimited incoming calls plus 100 minutes of outgoing calls.

2) Is the Bonus 250MB with AutoPay in ADDITION to the $2 autoplay benefit or does it replace the $2 autopay benefit?

Ans: No. You have both bonus data of 250MB as well as $2 reward.

3) Other than the unlimited incoming minutes, are there any other differences between the two $15 plans?

Ans: No.

4) It sounds too good to be true.  What am I missing or not understanding?

Ans: You should change plan for your next renewal date. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Hi,

I have been a  PM customer since April.

I have the $15 plan (with auto pay enabled; paying $13 net) with

• 100 minutes Limited Canada-Wide Talk
  • - 250 MB at 3G speed
  • - Unlimited International Texts

I am thinking of switching over to new $15 plan with unlimited incoming minutes. 

QUESTIONS:

1) In the above post, I am confused as to what is meant by "100 minutes is the total combine incoming and outgoing usage ... ".  This contradicts what is being offered?  Wouldn't the new PM offering of "Unlimited Incoming Minutes" mean you are ONLY limited to 100 minutes of OUTGOING minutes?

2) Is the Bonus 250MB with AutoPay in ADDITION to the $2 autoplay benefit or does it replace the $2 autopay benefit?

3) Other than the unlimited incoming minutes, are there any other differences between the two $15 plans?

Thanks in advance!

1. Correct. That's the old plan. You said it yourself.

2. You get both.

3. No. Edit:...well..you already said the bonus data

4. Nothing. It's a great plan.

Bottomshelf

@computergeek541 wrote:

@amyjxlin wrote:

Good evening,

Currently I am using Fido. I'd like to switch to your plan $15 (unlimited text, 100-minutes national talk & 250MB data). I have the following questions before I go ahead:

1. is the $15 a fixed rate? Or is it on promotion? Will it be increased after some time?

2. 100-minute talk includes incoming calls and outgoing calls?

3. What does the 30-day plan mean?

4. When the payment cycle starts?

5. I'd like to keep my current cell phone. Can I keep it if I change my SIM card?

Thank you for your attention.

The $15 price is going ongoing price ($13 if you enable autopay).  100 minutes is the total combine incoming and outgoing usage, with each parrtial minute of usage rounded up.  30 day plan meas that you prepay for 30 days of service, and that you have to pay before the start of the next renewal period to keep the plan going past that point.

Whether you can keep using your current cell phone device dependds on compatiblity and whether or not it is unlooked.  Which model is it?

Hi,

I have been a  PM customer since April.

I have the $15 plan (with auto pay enabled; paying $13 net) with

• 100 minutes Limited Canada-Wide Talk
  • - 250 MB at 3G speed
  • - Unlimited International Texts

I am thinking of switching over to new $15 plan with unlimited incoming minutes. 

QUESTIONS:

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Arman wrote:
That is exactly what other providers do. You can buy a lucky mobile SIM card for 99c.

Hey you're still around. Did you ever get anything resolved? Is your outgoing texting working yet?

Arman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
That is exactly what other providers do. You can buy a lucky mobile SIM card for 99c.

@electrical2771 wrote:

Perhaps Public Mobile should make a smart move and do what TextNow does in the USA and send out SIM cards for free via mail?

They already did that a couple of years back. Problem was that only a small percentage of them converted to customers. IIRC it was less than 35%. So I think they may have concluded it was an costly venture with poor ROI.

electrical2771
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Perhaps Public Mobile should make a smart move and do what TextNow does in the USA and send out SIM cards for free via mail?

Need Help? Let's chat.