cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Starting March 15th, we’re excited to bring you something that’s been long requested- a new Ready-Made plan at $15 with Unlimited International Text. This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

•      30-day plan
  •      100 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  •      Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •      +Bonus 250 MB with AutoPay
  •      Voicemail and Call Display

How to Get This Offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

Making a call

Answering a call

Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages

Using call forwarding

Calling *611 (the IVR)

Making or receiving calls from 911

Using wifi calling apps when connected to Wifi

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 100 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 100 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.  

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

473 REPLIES 473

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kselmak wrote:

If you switched to the newer $15 plan with unlimited included you should be able to keep receiving calls. But you had to switch from the older new $15 plan. When I originally subscribed for it it was 100 minutes total in and out, I had to make a switch when they offered the new plan, just a week after I got it. If you did switch and if they cut you off after 100 minutes, then you should contact the support.

I think smp99 is aware of all that. He was foreseeing whether we'd have another bug. No basis in fact...just wondering...what with all the bugs of late.

If you switched to the newer $15 plan with unlimited included you should be able to keep receiving calls. But you had to switch from the older new $15 plan. When I originally subscribed for it it was 100 minutes total in and out, I had to make a switch when they offered the new plan, just a week after I got it. If you did switch and if they cut you off after 100 minutes, then you should contact the support.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smp99 lol

I guess we'll see when the complaints roll in.

Start a thread with all the keywords and tags you can think of and let it sit.

smp99

Question - may be too early for this. Has anyone who is on the $15 unl-incoming gone through their 100min outgoing - does incoming still work or does it shut down all calls. Or is this a bug waiting to be discovered.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@electrical2771  I have no first hand experience but yes, voice calls will just no longer work outbound and 911 will still work as you don’t even need your cell phone to be active on a plan with a cell company for 911 to work. I would have to sssume that data would also just quit working when you hit your limit on any PM plans with data. Besides renewing early which should be an option in the list of plans IMHO but isn’t so you have to go through a moderator, the other option is to buy data until your renewal date. Terry

@sunflowershine wrote:

@pm-smayer97 You cannot change your renewal to earlier unless to change to a different plan. There are free calling and texting app whenever you have wifi or data to use it. I used to using a lot until I have PM 30 days plan. I don't even use that much each month. But you can use it as spare one when you call someone when you have wifi. 

you cannot change the renewal date but moderators can. Whether they still perform these on request is what I am unsure about.

sunflowershine

@pm-smayer97 You cannot change your renewal to earlier unless to change to a different plan. There are free calling and texting app whenever you have wifi or data to use it. I used to using a lot until I have PM 30 days plan. I don't even use that much each month. But you can use it as spare one when you call someone when you have wifi. 

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@electrical2771 wrote:

Please clarify some points........

1. Are all incoming calls unlimited? On the "Plans" part of the website it say so but on this stream it makes no such mention.

2. When the 100 minutes of outgoing calls are used up the phone will not make any more such calls? Will calling 911 still work? Same with the 250MB data, when it is used up it won't work untill the plans renewal date?

If the plan says it includes unlimited incoming calls or unlimited Talk Canada-wide, that means all incoming calls you receive while in Canada are included.  

When your outgoing minutes are used up, you cannot make any out going calls.  911 is not affected - this is true for all carriers; no plan is required for 911 to work.  Once the data portion of your plan is used up, data stops.  It renews on your renewal date - you can also buy data add-ons or renew early, but there are no refunds/pro-rating of fees already paid.

Not sure if it is still true but it was possible to ask a moderator to renew your plan early if you run out. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonavin, @FAUJ2, @electrical2771:

There we go then. The other poster in a different thread did see this.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@FAUJ2 wrote:

IMG_20190515_113856_949.JPG

Unlimited Incoming now shows. You may need to future date again though.

Actually, it's showing for everyone who switched.  Mine now reads:

My Plan
  • This plan includes: -
  • - 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • - 250 MB at 3G speed
  • - Unlimited International Texts

FAUJ2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

IMG_20190515_113856_949.JPG

Unlimited Incoming now shows. You may need to future date again though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@electrical2771 wrote:

Actually the stream starter, Alan_K, still does NOT mention the unlimited incoming calls.

Oh stream that's what you mean.

It has been a known thing that there's no mention of the unlimited incoming in the plan details after getting it. But it DOES work in that incoming calls are not counted in the 100 minutes. There might still be some other issues with the plan but that part works.

And I may have mis-read somebody elses post when I went to look at it again.

electrical2771

Actually the stream starter, Alan_K, still does NOT mention the unlimited incoming calls.

Pizzaeh

@electrical2771 wrote:

1. Are all incoming calls unlimited? On the "Plans" part of the website it say so but on this stream it makes no such mention.

2. When the 100 minutes of outgoing calls are used up the phone will not make any more such calls? Will calling 911 still work? Same with the 250MB data, when it is used up it won't work untill the plans renewal date?

If the plan says it includes unlimited incoming calls or unlimited Talk Canada-wide, that means all incoming calls you receive while in Canada are included.  

When your outgoing minutes are used up, you cannot make any out going calls.  911 is not affected - this is true for all carriers; no plan is required for 911 to work.  Once the data portion of your plan is used up, data stops.  It renews on your renewal date - you can also buy data add-ons or renew early, but there are no refunds/pro-rating of fees already paid.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@electrical2771 wrote:

1. Yes. Someone just a minute ago said that the unlimited shows now.

2. Yes. Yes. Yes.

You can get the $8 200 minute long distance add-on to extend your outgoing calling needs.

All modern phones can call 911 regardless of even a SIM card installed.

You can get the $10 200mb add-on to extend your data needs.

Add-ons stay on your account until they're consumed. Buy once, use over time.

electrical2771

Arman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
They have the worst experience with PM as well.

@Arman wrote:
Talking to a wireless kiosk here, and talking to telus support , this problem is for all $10 and $15 plans in PM and it may catch anyone at anytime.

If they aren't in deparment that gives support for Public Mobile, they might not know.  At kiosk, they want you to sign up to different carrier and postpaid.

@Itsmynumber wrote:

I just signed up same problem. I am new.  The unlimited incoming is not displaying.  I also want to make sure my existing number that I have been using for over ten years get ported over properly.  I don't really use my phone but it's been my number for a long time.  It will be very upsetting if I switch and they don't not honour what they advertised and cannot deliver what the advertised and I lose my number in the process.

I am only switching because of the price point. If their coverage sucks and their text messages don't work. I will be so annoyed.

Hi @Itsmynumber 

Did the port finish, if the process is not completed yet you will still be able to use your old carrier.

Once the port is done give yourself a call and see if it was used against your 100 minutes, in that case contact the support

Make sure that you only send them one message explaining the problem and provide your email that you use for the phone account and the account number. When you are next in line they will send y you authentication link and will have access to your account. Usually it takes less then an hour but it could take even 48 hours.

They have bell/Telus coverage so that should not be an issue

Jonavin

Texting has been working fine since moving to the plan. It's one of the first things I tested because of the number of complaints about this.

@Arman wrote:
make sure you can send and receive text. some of us cannot send text for last 13 days

I switched last week to that plan and everything works fine.  To check if it's unlimited just call it and check in the account to make sure it didn't use any out of the 100 minutes 

Itsmynumber

I just signed up same problem. I am new.  The unlimited incoming is not displaying.  I also want to make sure my existing number that I have been using for over ten years get ported over properly.  I don't really use my phone but it's been my number for a long time.  It will be very upsetting if I switch and they don't not honour what they advertised and cannot deliver what the advertised and I lose my number in the process.

I am only switching because of the price point. If their coverage sucks and their text messages don't work. I will be so annoyed.

Arman
make sure you can send and receive text. some of us cannot send text for last 13 days

Arman
Talking to a wireless kiosk here, and talking to telus support , this problem is for all $10 and $15 plans in PM and it may catch anyone at anytime.

@SomeFriend wrote:

Is this a issue where you get lucky and it's not working?  My phone on the old $15 plan has working text messages.

It sure seems that way. It seems that this problem is a PM system problem but is isolated to a subset of the metered text plans ($10 and $15 plans) and so far does not seem to be affecting anyone else. 

I recommend that users read these insights and share yours regarding problems with texting with PM so that all the insights are gathered in one place (for the benefit of other and possibly for PM to resolve this matter), here:

Problems with Texting on Public Mobile? Read my insights and share yours

There are some new developments as of tonight that I will share there only (in a short while; gathering some notes)... there are too many threads on the same topic, so it makes most sense to keep the discussion contained in one place, for all to benefit.

SomeFriend

Is this a issue where you get lucky and it's not working?  My phone on the old $15 plan has working text messages.

@Arman wrote:
Happy to hear text works for you. I hope to say like this for you. It is painful if you lose the ability to text. you do not want to experience weeks with an inability to text

Please read these insights and share yours regarding problems with texting with PM, here:

Problems with Texting on Public Mobile? Read my insights and share yours

If you appreciate the thread, be sure to click the Bravo button at the bottom of the post once you are at the link above.

Cheers

DSM18

If you make a lot of calls, the $15 add-on for 400 minutes makes it just shy of 4 cents/min. if you go over your 100min. The add-on doesn't expire as long as you keep your line active on PM. But as zfx mentioned, TextNow and Fongo are alternatives when you're on a good data signal or Wi-Fi.

I personally ported out from Fongo because of the instability of calls and lack of clarity. There are a lot of hills and valleys in Calgary where data can be spotty as well.

zfx

@bridonca wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

@Arman I have TextNow and Fongo. TextNow can go to landline as well. Fongo won't cover everywhere within Canada. You may need to pay for certain cities. 

Fongo covers most of Canada now.  It used to cover larger cities only though. 

I found that Fongo doesn't always have a great voice quality, Google Hangouts is much better. 

Since now this $15 plan includes unlimited incoming minutes, it's a perfect combination using VOIP service to save some minutes for other calls. 

Need Help? Let's chat.