cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Starting March 15th, we’re excited to bring you something that’s been long requested- a new Ready-Made plan at $15 with Unlimited International Text. This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

•      30-day plan
  •      100 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  •      Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •      +Bonus 250 MB with AutoPay
  •      Voicemail and Call Display

How to Get This Offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

Making a call

Answering a call

Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages

Using call forwarding

Calling *611 (the IVR)

Making or receiving calls from 911

Using wifi calling apps when connected to Wifi

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 100 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 100 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.  

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

473 REPLIES 473

@duffer900 wrote:

@hang83 wrote:

got a question about the mins and data.

1) what happen when you used up your 100mins? Will it charge you for the extra mins you use after at a certain rate, like 2cent/min? Or does it just stop completely?

2) what happen you use used up the 250Mb of data? Will data stop working or will it charges you extra if you go over?

Thanks,

It's pay as you go, so I believe it will stop both. Hard stop style. You will then have to add as required.

Best bet of course is to leave a cushion.

Just to be clear, as I pointed out here (on previous page)it is NOT BECAUSE it is prepaid that you cannot exceed and it will stop. Other carriers with prepaid service have pay-per-use charges when you exceed the prepaid amount.

The difference is that PM does NOT have pay-per-use options. Whatever you prepay for with PM is all you get until you buy another block of service for talk and/or data (there still is no option to by extra blocks of text with PM).

So if you want to go over the pre-paid mins, you can purchase talk minutes or data add-ons either after your limits are reached or anytime before.

And the added benefit of the add-ons with PM is that any unused portions never expire, unlike other providers.

Pizzaeh

@hang83 wrote:

Can I buy the extra 400mins (international mins) and add to this plan, so if my 100mins is up, the 400mins will kick in?

Absolutely!  Also, those talk add-on minutes never expire; they will be there as backup until they're all used up. 

hang83
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can I buy the extra 400mins (international mins) and add to this plan, so if my 100mins is up, the 400mins will kick in?

Pizzaeh

@hang83 wrote:

1) what happen when you used up your 100mins? Will it charge you for the extra mins you use after at a certain rate, like 2cent/min? Or does it just stop completely?

2) what happen you use used up the 250Mb of data? Will data stop working or will it charges you extra if you go over?

Thanks,

When the minutes or data are used up, it will stop.  There are no pay per use charges, so no overage charges.  

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hang83 wrote:

Thanks,

It's pay as you go, so I believe it will stop both. Hard stop style. You will then have to add as required.

Best bet of course is to leave a cushion.

hang83

got some questions about the mins and data.

Thanks,

@markevee wrote:

If she went with PM's $10 plan with AutoPay, it is only $8. It comes with 50 Canada-Wide minutes. BUT if your grandma wants LD minutes and added 400 mins for $15, which NEVER expire if unused, 150 mins of that would be equivalent to $5.63, plus $8 for the base plan equals a total of $13.63. 

But if she does not use 200 mins in any month, it costs her less that month. So for $3.63 more/mon than Telus, she gets 200 Canada-Wide minutes.

Thank you, that is complicated math but I see how it works, and it would be cheaper in long run. I just wish she would not have to purchase the plan to get acess to the add ons. Thanks alot, ill see if she will buy it. 

BTW, another way to look at this is that with PM, it would cost her a min of $8/mon for 50 mins Canada wide + $0.0375/min any additional local or long distance minutes above the first 50.

So for the $2 difference ($10 she pays now vs $8 base with PM) she would get the equivalent of just over 50 more loca/long distance mins, in other words, a total of 100 Canada-wide mins for $10, which is the same cost as what she is paying now.

And again, more minutes above that only cost $0.0375/min (so for $3.63 she can get an additional 100 mins).

The big plus is she only pays for what she uses, starting from $8 (and potentially gets a $25 credit to get her started if she signs up online by Mar 31 at 11:59 pm using a referral).

markevee
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If she went with PM's $10 plan with AutoPay, it is only $8. It comes with 50 Canada-Wide minutes. BUT if your grandma wants LD minutes and added 400 mins for $15, which NEVER expire if unused, 150 mins of that would be equivalent to $5.63, plus $8 for the base plan equals a total of $13.63. 

But if she does not use 200 mins in any month, it costs her less that month. So for $3.63 more/mon than Telus, she gets 200 Canada-Wide minutes.

Thank you, that is complicated math but I see how it works, and it would be cheaper in long run. I just wish she would not have to purchase the plan to get acess to the add ons. Thanks alot, ill see if she will buy it. 

@TracyInCanada wrote:

finally, I got this plan today with a free SIM card at Walmart @Bridgeport, Waterloo. The SR, Devenn, was nice and patient, and she set up everything for me. I will my experience this plan and see/share how it goes  here.

Welcome.  It should go fine.  Remember to refer your friends to get discounts. The $15 plan is good for people who do mostly texting.

TracyInCanada

finally, I got this plan today with a free SIM card at Walmart @Bridgeport, Waterloo. The SR, Devenn, was nice and patient, and she set up everything for me. I will my experience this plan and see/share how it goes  here.

@markevee wrote:

Thank-you I seen that $20 plan but she makes out of province calls to Saskatchewan so that won't work. she specifically wants 200 Canada wide minutes and I saw the add on for $8 so I was thinking maybe I could just get the add on with a new account. She currently spends $10 for 200 local minutes and I think that is with Telus, on a old prepaid plan. It would only be worth the change if she could get more for less type deal.

Freebody

Just switched to this plan. Lucky mobile also offered the same plan but with no 2 dollar reward for autopay or community rewards which is why I joined. 

Looking forward to engaging with the community!

markevee

Thank you. I'll definely look into it

sunflowershine

@markevee Definitely. Speakout is providing $25 for 200 minutes Canada-wide calls and $30 for 300 minutes Canada-wide calls. They are not bad too. 

markevee

Thank-you I seen that $20 plan but she makes out of province calls to Saskatchewan so that won't work. she specifically wants 200 Canada wide minutes and I saw the add on for $8 so I was thinking maybe I could just get the add on with a new account. She currently spends $10 for 200 local minutes and I think that is with Telus, on a old prepaid plan. It would only be worth the change if she could get more for less type deal.

sunflowershine

@markevee wrote:

Alright thank you very much, and do I need a plan first to buy add ons. Or Can I buy them without a plan.. my grandma just wants phone minutes and doesn't need text or data.

@markevee There is a phone plan with unlimited phone call of $20 per 30 days. But you have to see wether her phone is suitable for the use within Public Mobile system. 

If her useage is less, you may consider Speakout from 7Eleven. It is a prepaid phone. You add money when it runs low. 0.30$ per minute. They have a special of $100 prepaid phone card with $25 phone card with a Free SIM card. It is really depended on her usage.

Pizzaeh

@markevee wrote:

Alright thank you very much, and do I need a plan first to buy add ons. Or Can I buy them without a plan.. my grandma just wants phone minutes and doesn't need text or data.

Yes, a plan is required to apply add-ons.  You can check out the plans here.  There is a $10 plan, which doesn't have much, but you could purchase a talk add-on for it.  Under the plans, if you scroll down a bit, you'll see 'Add-ons' - expand that to see the prices for add-ons.  There is a 400 min talk add-on for $15.  This doesn't expire until Grandma uses up all the minutes.

jotsang

You need a plan first before buying addons.

markevee

Pizzaeh

@markevee wrote:

Are you able to carry forward the minutes and data?

No, the talk/text/data included in the plan don't carry over.  Add-ons, however, don't expire; they're there until you use them up.

markevee

Are you able to carry forward the minutes and data?

@danlee  a écrit :

That's a pretty good plan with unlimited "International" text, i might change my plan..

How do exisiting customer switch plan?

You need to go in your self serve account on the first page you will see change plan..and the best is to do it for the next renewal date. You don't lose anything like that.

danlee
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That's a pretty good plan with unlimited "International" text, i might change my plan..

How do exisiting customer switch plan?

hang83

Switched my sister in law to this plan. She was paying $15 with koodo and no mins or data. Now she gets 100mins and 250Mb of data for $13. Now, she is paying less and gets more! What a crazy concept. 😛

Would have switched my dad over to this plan too if he doesnt' still have over $100 in credits with 7-11 PAYG.

AussieDoggo

@Lieux wrote:

@AussieDoggo  a écrit :

I got this plan, now to wait for my cellphone line to port in. It’s been a day, I don’t know how long it’s supposed to be..

It was supposed to be OK now...Which company? 

Bell. 

I contacted PM’s support and they solved the issue 🙂

@AussieDoggo  a écrit :

I got this plan, now to wait for my cellphone line to port in. It’s been a day, I don’t know how long it’s supposed to be..

It was supposed to be OK now...Which company? 

AussieDoggo

@wetcoaster wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@electrical2771 wrote:

So then if you go over the 100 minutes and if the call is urgent/ important you are SOL?

What's SOL stand for.....kidding, don't spell it out, this is a family oriented community.

The service will stop.  It's up the subscriber to know what's included in their plan.  If you think your're going to use more than the included mintues, an add-on might be a good idea or a different plan.  The $25 plan to me seems like the best bang for buck. 

I think that Public Mobile will send texts to the PM number when the subscriber is getting close to their limit.  Received one for data, not totally sure about voice and text....checking now.

According to this post, you will receive texts when getting close to your limits....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Will-we-be-notified-if/m-p/254474#M2988...

The fact is that you will get a text message when you have 10 mins left. Not sure what the threshold is for data. (BTW, for limited text plans, you get a text when you have 10 text messages left).

When you run low or out of minutes, you can call 611 and pay for a LD add-on that gives you either 200 mins for $8 or 400 mins for $15. These minutes never expire if unused. Instead unused minutes keep rolling over into next period. For data, it is $30 for 1 GB of FULL LTE data (Caveat...order this ONLY when your base is fully used up... otherwise the 1GB defaults down to match the data bandwidth you already have, i.e. 3G).

Hm... last time I put "buying the data add-on after I had used up all my data" to the test, it was provisioned at the speed of the LTE light base plan (= 3G speed). Mind you, that was the 4.5+0.5GB plan, not sure if this one works differently because it's auto pay bonus data only (or if it's YMMV).

My guess would be that if the base plan has a data element, the speed of the add-on will match the speed of the base plan even if the data bucket is empty. Only a base plan that does not have a data element in it* gets full LTE from the add-on.

BTW, the data warning texts are sent at 75% and 95%.

* $10 50/50 and, possibly, under certain circumstances, the $20 unlimited talk only, would be the only one that makes sense price wise at this point - why would one pay $20 for text only, if $15 is 100min, unlimited texts and 250MB of data? Or $25 for provincial talk & text only if the new $25 plan is Canada wide plus 1GB of data???

Interesting point about the data add-on. If anyone can expand on this with a test on this plan, that would be great.

BTW, I found the official and (almost) complete info on notifications for thresholds (and other messages by PM) here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Public-Mobile-SMS-Notifications/m-p/19052/...

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@electrical2771 wrote:

So then if you go over the 100 minutes and if the call is urgent/ important you are SOL?

What's SOL stand for.....kidding, don't spell it out, this is a family oriented community.

The service will stop.  It's up the subscriber to know what's included in their plan.  If you think your're going to use more than the included mintues, an add-on might be a good idea or a different plan.  The $25 plan to me seems like the best bang for buck. 

I think that Public Mobile will send texts to the PM number when the subscriber is getting close to their limit.  Received one for data, not totally sure about voice and text....checking now.

According to this post, you will receive texts when getting close to your limits....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Will-we-be-notified-if/m-p/254474#M2988...

The fact is that you will get a text message when you have 10 mins left. Not sure what the threshold is for data. (BTW, for limited text plans, you get a text when you have 10 text messages left).

When you run low or out of minutes, you can call 611 and pay for a LD add-on that gives you either 200 mins for $8 or 400 mins for $15. These minutes never expire if unused. Instead unused minutes keep rolling over into next period. For data, it is $30 for 1 GB of FULL LTE data (Caveat...order this ONLY when your base is fully used up... otherwise the 1GB defaults down to match the data bandwidth you already have, i.e. 3G).

Hm... last time I put "buying the data add-on after I had used up all my data" to the test, it was provisioned at the speed of the LTE light base plan (= 3G speed). Mind you, that was the 4.5+0.5GB plan, not sure if this one works differently because it's auto pay bonus data only (or if it's YMMV).

My guess would be that if the base plan has a data element, the speed of the add-on will match the speed of the base plan even if the data bucket is empty. Only a base plan that does not have a data element in it* gets full LTE from the add-on.

BTW, the data warning texts are sent at 75% and 95%.

* $10 50/50 and, possibly, under certain circumstances, the $20 unlimited talk only, would be the only one that makes sense price wise at this point - why would one pay $20 for text only, if $15 is 100min, unlimited texts and 250MB of data? Or $25 for provincial talk & text only if the new $25 plan is Canada wide plus 1GB of data???

Curtis131
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

Starting March 15th, we’re excited to bring you something that’s been long requested- a new Ready-Made plan at $15 with Unlimited International Text. This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

•      30-day plan
  •      100 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  •      Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •      +Bonus 250 MB with AutoPay
  •      Voicemail and Call Display

How to Get This Offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

Making a call

Answering a call

Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages

Using call forwarding

Calling *611 (the IVR)

Making or receiving calls from 911

Using wifi calling apps when connected to Wifi

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 100 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 100 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.  

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

Need Help? Let's chat.