cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Starting March 15th, we’re excited to bring you something that’s been long requested- a new Ready-Made plan at $15 with Unlimited International Text. This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

•      30-day plan
  •      100 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  •      Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •      +Bonus 250 MB with AutoPay
  •      Voicemail and Call Display

How to Get This Offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$15 for 100 minutes and Unlimited Text”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

Making a call

Answering a call

Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages

Using call forwarding

Calling *611 (the IVR)

Making or receiving calls from 911

Using wifi calling apps when connected to Wifi

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 100 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 100 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.  

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

473 REPLIES 473

Deathprince
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Great I switched from $10 to this one upon renewal. If I already have autopay, it should automatically switched too right??

@slpless wrote:

Hi @Alan_K,

The Spoiler says, "leaving a voicemail message uses up minutes." However, with $10 50/50 plan, I tested a few days ago whether leaving a voicemail message uses minutes or not with a brand new PM number. 

When my friend leaves a voicemail message, it appears as an outgoing call to local voicemail number in both call history (picture 1) and my usage as 1/50 min (picture 2). Then, after a second, 1 minute usage disappears, 0/50 min (picture 3). It looks PM fixed it so as not to count minutes for "leaving a voicemail message." Can you please confirm this and update the Announcement/Spoiler if it's indeed fixed?

Thanks!

Attention: 

Leaving a voicemail message (1).jpgLeaving a voicemail message (2).jpgLeaving a voicemail message (3).jpg

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

Starting March 15th, we’re excited to bring you something that’s been long requested- a new Ready-Made plan at $15 with Unlimited International Text. This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

•      30-day plan
  •      100 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  •      Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •      +Bonus 250 MB with AutoPay
  •      Voicemail and Call Display

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

Making a call

Answering a call

Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages

Using call forwarding

Calling *611 (the IVR)

Making or receiving calls from 911

Using wifi calling apps when connected to Wifi

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

On the $10 plan, it has been confirmed over and over in this thread, here, here, here, and herethat the only time voicemail uses up minutes is when calling in only to retrieve messages from your own cell phone. Otherwise, there is never usage of minutes. What is misleading is that messages left to voicemail show up as minutes in the self-serve log. That is the only thing that needs "fixing".

Confirmed by PM here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

AND here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

I suspect the same problem exists with the language used...that it is imprecise and ambiguous leading to confusion.

Do not get fooled by the usage log. Even though calls leaving a voicemail show up in the usage log, the plan minutes are not used up. This is very easy to confirm and it has been confirmed for the $10 plan. I see no reason why it would be different for the $15 plan.

@Anonymous wrote:

All this talk of seniors and whatnot...my mother and MIL are with Telus. They had the same pay-as-you-go (PAYG) plan (neither of my doing) Telus obsoleted the PAYG and created a $3 plan and put those customers into it. For their needs, I still can't suggest to them to change to here for even $10. Let alone this $15 one.

I would agree that customers like them coming here would be just fine with the $10 plan.

Yah, I got grandfathered from a $7 unlimited one number plan to a $10 500 minutes + 100 text plans. And Telus has a $5 unlimitedtext add-on. So that plan is staying put. That said, this plan is good for new phones since I cannot get the Telus plan for new phones.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Great at filling in a gap in the line-up. Nice offer!

yup. good to have something in for casual usage.

Great at filling in a gap in the line-up. Nice offer!

@meocon wrote:

Nice plan so far but hopefully I can choose this plan with option between unlimited text or unlimited call 😉

Unless you are a huge talker, consider adding a talk add-on for either $8/200 minutes or $15/400 minutes (which include long distance)...

Klane
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@LovesToPM wrote:

It's only free if you select the 2nd or 3rd tier of coverage.

They offer 3 tiers:

- Quebec only coverage

- Canada coverage

- Canada and U.S.

You cannot use the roaming service (outside of Quebec and Ottawa area) for more than 3 months, as Fizz will end your service. This is stated in their TOS.

Your info is misleading, there are no tiers with fizz.  Every option is a choice of what you want so like other plans yes you can choose province wide Quebec, Canada wide for $3 more and there Us plan is way cheaper than any Canadian Carrier.  Just sharing hoping they will strike up a more competitive market for everyone to get fairer prices.  

It's only free if you select the 2nd or 3rd tier of coverage.

They offer 3 tiers:

- Quebec only coverage

- Canada coverage

- Canada and U.S.

You cannot use the roaming service (outside of Quebec and Ottawa area) for more than 3 months, as Fizz will end your service. This is stated in their TOS.

Chatr is a PM competitor. However they have a few disadvantages:

- PM network coverage is superior to Chatr's (from personal experience, no debate here).
- Chatr has only one reward system. They have only Autopay, but without the $2 discount per cycle.
- Chatr customer service should be improved. Staff would sometimes be misinfomed and give conflicting information.

In comparison, although PM Community forum is dated, I always find the information I am looking for.

Klane

you failed to mention Roaming is free and on Roger's 4G LTE network. I can compare it to public as I am in Ottawa... they are going to shake things up with the cheapest LTE in Canada free data bonus and other perks and best of all Data gifting and Roll over is not offered by any other carrier.

@LovesToPM wrote:

Fizz mobile is a nice start-up from Videotron. They are offering ultra-low introductory prices atm.  It's good to know what other telecoms are offering.

However their service is available only to residents of Quebec and Greater Ottawa area. For usage in other parts of Canada, it's considered roaming. Since it's not available Canada-wide, can't directly compare with Public Mobile. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Fizz mobile is a nice start-up from Videotron. They are offering ultra-low introductory prices atm.  It's good to know what other telecoms are offering.

However their service is available only to residents of Quebec and Greater Ottawa area. For usage in other parts of Canada, it's considered roaming. Since it's not available Canada-wide, can't directly compare with Public Mobile. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have been busy over at RFD promoting the two recent deals.  I finally have a chance to try and catch up on things over here.  There is lots of interesting discussion comparing this offer and the competition.  These $15 minimalist plans target the same market segment but in different ways.  For all the weaknesses with public Mobile and those who have been here a while can produce a long list, one thing that is indisputable is they are kicking competition butt.  Chatr came out with a $15 plan first.  Based on the interest shown on RFD, it seems like nobody cares.  Within one day of release, the discussion thread for this deal is twice as long already and with 10 times the upvotes.  That's a pretty good proxy of which is the superior product.  The interest for the $25 deal is crazy!  If anyone has noticed, the self serve portal is being hammered with activity.  There's reminders of fall 2016.  Is it possible the market got it completely wrong?  I think not!  Keep up the good work Public Mobile!  How's that for a non technical perspective?

wickedgx

WOW, nice plan for $13 with autopay on. This looks like a great deal for kids! I may ask some of my cousins to switch to this plan as they don't need a lot.

Klane

Agreed I expect more for less from public, Chatr has a call center and thier own stores and you can buy cards and sims at a bunch of other retail locations. 

Chatr does have autopay bonuses and match freedom plans + other offers

Walmart is the only retailer close to me and they refused to activate a plan for me during the flash sale last weekend, public won't do anything but if I call chatr with a problem they credit you on the spot.

My spouse went with Roger's new ultra low cost brand... Fizz Mobile.

Full LTE cheap plans, referal bonuses and chat support agents.  They also have data rollover and Data Gifting.

@SomeFriend wrote:

You want to match call centres too?  I accept the rewards to replace the simplicity of calling in and talking to an agent on the spot but missing unlimited incoming is something else.

They were obviously trying to match Chatr (which indirectly matches Freedom).  Why aren’t they doing it right??

Klane

They do offer autopay and other bonuses and If you don't use voice mail like me that unlimited incoming is a million times better offer !

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

No they won't. You could try  asking  chatr to match pm rewards. 

That there sir just won the Public Mobile Award of abso-frickin'-lutely-ness!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

No they won't. You could try  asking  chatr to match pm rewards. 

@Klane wrote:

I am considering switching from Chatr Will public match the unlimited incoming calling ?

@frankieshi wrote:

Compare with Chatr $15.00 plan, no unlimited incoming call will not make $10.00 Senior users to change to this plan.  

Chatr:

$15 Per Month
100 Canada-Wide Talk & Unlimited International Texts
-Details
INCLUDES
  • 100 Minutes Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited Incoming Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text,
    Picture and Video Messagin

No. Sorry, but this $15 Public Mobile plan does not include unlimited incoming calls.

Klane

I am considering switching from Chatr Will public match the unlimited incoming calling ?

@frankieshi wrote:

Compare with Chatr $15.00 plan, no unlimited incoming call will not make $10.00 Senior users to change to this plan.  

Chatr:

$15 Per Month
-Details
INCLUDES
    Picture and Video Messagin

Klane

@frankieshi wrote:

Chatr:

$15 Per Month
-Details
INCLUDES
    Picture and Video Messaging

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Knockali wrote:

Public is going in the right direction with kick ass plans and more public exposure through kiosks but the brand itself has some legacy issues related to old CDMA public mobile.  Non techies still believe that it only works in the cities.  Lucky mobile doesn’t suffer from same perception since it’s a brand new brand.  A hefty media campaign is needed to tell the general public about across country coverage.  

A hefty campaign costs money which needs to come from somewhere which will raise rates which the kick a$$ plans are what brought you here which means a hefty no thanks from me. 🙂

Edit: I was with Telus since the Motorola brick phone and I only learned of the existence of Public Mobile last year. I never knew they were something using CDMA that Telus eventually bought out.

Knockali
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public is going in the right direction with kick ass plans and more public exposure through kiosks but the brand itself has some legacy issues related to old CDMA public mobile.  Non techies still believe that it only works in the cities.  Lucky mobile doesn’t suffer from same perception since it’s a brand new brand.  A hefty media campaign is needed to tell the general public about across country coverage.  

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You want to match call centres too?  I accept the rewards to replace the simplicity of calling in and talking to an agent on the spot but missing unlimited incoming is something else.

They were obviously trying to match Chatr (which indirectly matches Freedom).  Why aren’t they doing it right??

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

many are waiting for this plan for sure.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smp99 wrote:

@coffee wrote:

HINT... Disable LTE in your phone settings and you will get get much higher the 3 Mbps speeds.

It's 250MB for 30 days. just saying

Just sayin'...two different things...1 = capacity - 2 = speed.

smp99

@coffee wrote:

HINT... Disable LTE in your phone settings and you will get get much higher the 3 Mbps speeds.

It's 250MB for 30 days. just saying

finshipper
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Awesome!  I've been waiting for a plan like this!  Thanks Public Mobile!

coffee

@wetcoaster wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@iPhone_PM_User wrote:

is this 3G or LTE data?

@iPhone_PM_User 

It is 3G data.  Any 3G plan is marked as such with an orange circle in the upper right corner in the plans page:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

Data that's throttled to "3G" speed (3Mbps) but delivered over LTE where available.

As opposed to ChatR's 3G connection throughout (zero LTE connection).

sunflowershine

Nice, $15 with 50 minutes more on calling with 250mb of data (with auto pay only). This seems what I need. 

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Awesome! This plan is perfect for my kids.

Need Help? Let's chat.