cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Get 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text for $60!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 11, 2019: This plan is now expired.

Hey Community,

Say hello to Summer :)! We’ve got the perfect plan for anyone headed state-side this Summer. For a limited time only, effective July 19th, 2019, you could get 8.5 GB of Canada Wide data, plus 2 GB of US Data Roaming, and Unlimited US roaming/Canada US Talk & Text for $60/mo! 

Plan details:

$60 for 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of Canada-wide data at 3G speed + 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text - You could talk and text as much as you like from Canada to the U.S., and vice versa! 
  • Additional 2 GB of US data roaming
  • International text included in both Canada + U.S.
  • New and current customers are eligible

How this plan works:

Making a call to someone in Canada

Making a call to someone outside of Canada

In Canada

Included

Only U.S. included 

In U.S.

Included

Only U.S. included

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$60 unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

380 REPLIES 380

Anonymous
Not applicable

@liamsc wrote:

Great, thanks dude! 

Good of you to read the details. I agree that there are subtle wording differences. With the fact that there will be no extra charges here...you can always just test it all out and see what works and what doesn't.

Calls in from anywhere in Canada/US

Calls out to Canada/US in Canada/US (unless you have the 400 minute add-on which you could also test while in the US but I doubt it)

Texts in/out to/from anywhere in Canada/US

MMS in/out to/from anywhere in Canada/US

Use of data and see that it comes out of the US bucket while in the US.

Use of data and see that it comes out of the Canada bucket while in Canada.

liamsc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Great, thanks dude! 

maheshboloor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@liamsc wrote:

This plan includes unlimited picture messaging as well? It has different wording in regards to that compared to the non-US data plans. 

Since other plans $40 $50 includes picture messagin, the $60 plan will also include the same. Basically every feature available in Canada will be available in  the US except for only 2gb data  (compared to 8.5 gb in Canada)

liamsc

This plan includes unlimited picture messaging as well? It has different wording in regards to that compared to the non-US data plans. 

maheshboloor

@torontokris  Technically speaking 3 mbps shhould suffice for VoLTE. Like other have confirmed here, PM does not support VoLTE. So far i never had any issues with calls (I am in the Toronto area). Also 3 mbps is worknig nicely for my social media needs. Hardly feel any difference between 3 mbps and unthrottled LTE.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@torontokris wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@hasan9800 wrote:

Nice! 

@Ljdion Any differences from Koodo to PM?

Speeds?  Call quality?  Connection times for calls?  

Specifically, with this price plans, LTE speeds are slower at Public Mobile.  Also at Public Mobile phone calls cannot be made or answered over LTE.

I really wish VoLTE would be enabled on PM.

What speeds would VoLTE need to be consistent/clear quality? Just thinking for those on 3G speed plans if VoLTE was mandatory on PM in the far future.

The ~3 mbps throtted speed would be more than enough for a voice call over LTE (and it may not even be subject to that sort of throttling under their network management policies anyway). 

torontokris

@jor123 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@hasan9800 wrote:

Nice! 

Specifically, with this price plans, LTE speeds are slower at Public Mobile.  Also at Public Mobile phone calls cannot be made or answered over LTE.

What speeds would VoLTE need to be consistent/clear quality? Just thinking for those on 3G speed plans if VoLTE was mandatory on PM in the far future.

maheshboloor

@VanZem Good to know. Thank you.

@VanZem wrote:

I am just reporting that everything is working fine. I went twice in US so far with no any problems. Manually selecting AT&T definitely helps as T-mobile can often be flaky.

VanZem
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am just reporting that everything is working fine. I went twice in US so far with no any problems. Manually selecting AT&T definitely helps as T-mobile can often be flaky.

obviouslyacorgi

This plan is pretty great for the price, especially if you go to the US every so often like me.

Ljdion

Just as fast so far 

jor123

@Ljdion wrote:

Just set up yesterday. We are in a poor reception zone. Always difficulties with Bell. Koodo was better reception and Public Mobile as good in that regards. Have to get back to you on the rest. Haven’t used it enough yet lol

Bell/Telus reception should be pretty identical I believe as the towers are shared.

jor123

@computergeek541 wrote:

@hasan9800 wrote:

Nice! 

Vidal

@computergeek541 wrote:

@hasan9800 wrote:

Nice! 

Speeds are fast enough though and I'm hooked up to LTE its locked at 3 meg and i can call and recieve calls . Never lost a single yet . USA or Canada . 

Ljdion

Just set up yesterday. We are in a poor reception zone. Always difficulties with Bell. Koodo was better reception and Public Mobile as good in that regards. Have to get back to you on the rest. Haven’t used it enough yet lol

@hasan9800 wrote:

Nice! 

hasan9800

Nice! 

Ljdion

At last!  Great plan for snow birds. Made me switch from Koodo 😬👍

hasan9800

1) The Addon applies to your line only and non transferable to any other line. 

2)I also Roam in the US with Public Mobile. First what phone are you using? 

Secondly, try another network. Mine jumps between AT&T and T-Mobile. I can keep a call for about an hour or so on the highway. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pbaner3 wrote:

Hi,

I am a Public Mobile customer and bought roaming add-on for calling, texting and data in the U.S. for my recent visit. I have 2 questions:

1. Does this also apply to people who are already customers?

2. The calling service in the U.S. on the roaming plan was terrible. All calls to Canada and the U.S. kept cutting off every one minute. Is the calling service better on this plan?

1. Existing customers can pick up this plan.

2. See my reply in one of your other threads.

pbaner3

Hi,

I am a Public Mobile customer and bought roaming add-on for calling, texting and data in the U.S. for my recent visit. I have 2 questions:

1. Does this also apply to people who are already customers?

2. The calling service in the U.S. on the roaming plan was terrible. All calls to Canada and the U.S. kept cutting off every one minute. Is the calling service better on this plan?

dhandel

I just started using this plan when I arrived in the US on August 13.  It works well. So far so good.

hasan9800

I believe the only way around that is to use Fongo, other discussion forms did suggest that idea. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smp99 wrote:

2 questions about this plan

Can I CallFwd my number to a US number?

Does the $15 international LD add-on work while in the US? 

@smp99 

If you have the plan then test it out. There are several anomalies around here that they say one thing but in reality it does another.

I think officially, no forwarding to a US number regardless of having the 50 or 60 plan let alone having the 200 or 400 add-on.

I think officially while in the US you can only call the US and Canada regardless of other add-ons.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

2 questions about this plan

Can I CallFwd my number to a US number?

Does the $15 international LD add-on work while in the US? 

montrealroamer

Hey torontokris,

Correct, I bought the it for international calls covered by the add on. 

torontokris

@montrealroamer wrote:

I am new to Public Mobile as of today and I have to say I'm impressed with how easy it is to manage my account via the website. Porting in my old number took less than an hour from when I put the request in and everything is working flawlessly.

I was with Fido and while I was not unhappy with them, I started traveling a lot for work to the United States and last month, I traveled for 14 days and Fido charged me $98 + tax in roaming fees ($7 a day).

This plan represents far better value. I am not a heavy data user so 2 GB USA roaming data and 8.5 GB home data with Autopay enabled is more than enough for me. Plus a $2 a month discount for Autopay. And the real bonus is I am not paying a daily rate for roaming.

Add on unlimited calling and international text from both Canada and the United States which I need, this is by far the best value plan I have come across. I looked at every provider and no-one else came close.

I had an added bonus of a $20 credit added to my account and a free sim card as I signed up at the airport so I used $15 of that to buy the 400 minute long distance / international minute add on and I have everything I need. I know this add on can only be used in Canada but it is great the minutes do not expire as long as the account is active.

Since the plan includes Canada & USA long distance I am guessing you bought the long distance add on to call the included international countries

montrealroamer

I am new to Public Mobile as of today and I have to say I'm impressed with how easy it is to manage my account via the website. Porting in my old number took less than an hour from when I put the request in and everything is working flawlessly.

I was with Fido and while I was not unhappy with them, I started traveling a lot for work to the United States and last month, I traveled for 14 days and Fido charged me $98 + tax in roaming fees ($7 a day).

This plan represents far better value. I am not a heavy data user so 2 GB USA roaming data and 8.5 GB home data with Autopay enabled is more than enough for me. Plus a $2 a month discount for Autopay. And the real bonus is I am not paying a daily rate for roaming.

Add on unlimited calling and international text from both Canada and the United States which I need, this is by far the best value plan I have come across. I looked at every provider and no-one else came close.

I had an added bonus of a $20 credit added to my account and a free sim card as I signed up at the airport so I used $15 of that to buy the 400 minute long distance / international minute add on and I have everything I need. I know this add on can only be used in Canada but it is great the minutes do not expire as long as the account is active.

torontokris

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@torontokris wrote:

Still hoping waiting for a 4+1GB version of this for maybe $40?

Would tempt me to leave Fall 2016 Promo plan

That would be good but why would they offer it for $40 if people are willng to pay $60? If would be good if all plans included U.S. calling and roaming but then people would also say they shouldn't need to pay for features they don't need.

I am not willing to pay $60 (others have said the same)  and I don't use that much data. 

hasan9800

How much are you paying monthly? 

Need Help? Let's chat.