cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Get 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text for $60!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 11, 2019: This plan is now expired.

Hey Community,

Say hello to Summer :)! We’ve got the perfect plan for anyone headed state-side this Summer. For a limited time only, effective July 19th, 2019, you could get 8.5 GB of Canada Wide data, plus 2 GB of US Data Roaming, and Unlimited US roaming/Canada US Talk & Text for $60/mo! 

Plan details:

$60 for 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of Canada-wide data at 3G speed + 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text - You could talk and text as much as you like from Canada to the U.S., and vice versa! 
  • Additional 2 GB of US data roaming
  • International text included in both Canada + U.S.
  • New and current customers are eligible

How this plan works:

Making a call to someone in Canada

Making a call to someone outside of Canada

In Canada

Included

Only U.S. included 

In U.S.

Included

Only U.S. included

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$60 unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

380 REPLIES 380

Vidal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Trying to do it immediately I thought it might’ve been low on money so I put another 60 on my accounts .. Now they both have 120 bucks in each one and I can’t change either one of them

There is no set expiry date. I would expect it to be available through summer at minimum and it could be offered for the next couple of years,no one really knows. If you check in here every couple of days there is usually a notice posted when plans are going to expire within the next week or so. Once you have a plan in all likelihood it will remain available to you as a grandfathered plan as long as you don't switch away from it.

@tehowennathe wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@tehowennathe wrote:

How long is this offer good? Not able to switch plans right away and it's a welcome as I have family in US and visit often. 

As this is a limited time offer, you should go the change plan in Self-Serve (My Account) and lock in a plan change for your next renewal.  This will change automatically and your plan should renew to it without issue.

I'm a former Public Mobile customer who is looking to switch back as roaming was getting expensive. That's why in asking how long this offer is good for.

As a former PM customer, you know that the Community Forum is made up of PM users just like you. We have no window on inside information. Most would suggest that if the plan is one you can use...get it while it's available. Sometimes these promos last a few days and sometimes longer. No way to predict.

Good luck and welcome back...if you do.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

@tehowennathe wrote:

How long is this offer good? Not able to switch plans right away and it's a welcome as I have family in US and visit often. 

As this is a limited time offer, you should go the change plan in Self-Serve (My Account) and lock in a plan change for your next renewal.  This will change automatically and your plan should renew to it without issue.

I'm a former Public Mobile customer who is looking to switch back as roaming was getting expensive. That's why in asking how long this offer is good for.

@zfx wrote:

When will PM include roaming service to other countries in Europe or Asia

Maybe soon, maybe never

Anything anyone except what Publc Mobile would be a guess.  Nothing has been announced.

@AE_Collector wrote:

I wonder if the US data only works in the US, not Canada? In other words, if you haven't used your US data but exxhaust your 8.5 GB in Canada will the US data begin to be used? Similar to the voice add ons in Canada. If you use yo the 100 minutes of outgoing on the $15 plan and have a US  calling add on it will be used.

The advertising is such that the roaming data only works while in the U.S.

As for long distance add-ons, those can't be used for roaming.

I wonder if the US data only works in the US, not Canada? In other words, if you haven't used your US data but exhaust your 8.5 GB in Canada will the US data begin to be used? Similar to the voice add ons in Canada where if you use up the 100 minutes of outgoing calling on the $15 plan and you have a US calling add on it will then be used.

Terry

@Vidal wrote:

Does not work can not change plans just get an error every time .. 

Are you doing an immediate or future date change?

If immediate, you must top up funds for full payment, if future renewal, it should just accept it and say ok.

Great to see a new plan arrive! This will be great news for some. While I haven't yet had the need for the $20/10 add on I have already wished there was a US add on that worked like the other add ons, IE: it works  only when needed and never expires until it is exhausted. We live close to the US border we make occasional day trips but I am not going to activate a $20/10 day add on that will expire 10 days later just to make a call.

Vidal

Does not work can not change plans just get an error every time .. 

@tehowennathe wrote:

Vidal

Sorry not sure why it sent that I’m new ..lol

tehowennathe

Vidal

dna2016

@Alan_K  That's actually an amazing plan.  You get quite a lot at a reasonable price point.  However I'm not sure if there's a huge market for $60 plans (even though there's a lot being provided in this plan), but most PM customers are joining to reduce their costs, not go back to those $60 plans they left from their other provider.  Yes I know there's a lot of amazing features here, but at the end of the day people are looking at their wallets more and more, and may not want to take this offer because the price high despite all the value you get for it.  I think PM should also offer a slightly less expensive plan with half the data, i.e. 4.5GB of data plus 1GB US roaming, and price it at $35 or $40.  You'll probably get more people biting on that one just because $40 and under fits their budget better than $60.

Vidal

how do I get the plan changed ?48A00FC0-C783-4FF9-BE5C-873A95C85269.png

ooakosiryan

@mimmo wrote:

@ooakosiryan  you could buy the 10 $, plan now futuredate this plan. Let the 10$ plan expire (no autopay) and you basically will have 120 days from initial activation to reactivate the sim. This will let you keep the plan in case it expires. Accounts can be expired max 90 days. 

Good call! Never thought of that! Thanks, @mimmo !!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ooakosiryan  you could buy the 10 $, plan now futuredate this plan. Let the 10$ plan expire (no autopay) and you basically will have 120 days from initial activation to reactivate the sim. This will let you keep the plan in case it expires. Accounts can be expired max 90 days. 

zfx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When will PM include roaming service to other countries in Europe or Asia

ooakosiryan

Really happy to see a plan like this! My sister from Australia is visiting Canada in the fall and travelling to the US for 2 months as part of that trip. Not sure if this will still be available then, but I'll let her know about it if it is!! Thanks, Public Mobile!! Smiley Happy

@Vidal wrote:

If I switch to this plan , does it start as soon as I switch when I do it online ? Or do I have to wait for the plan I’m on to end first ?  Do I get a rebait on what I didn't use?

@Vidal if you immediately switch, you pay full price and lose whatever you had previously.  Future date (end of the cycle) you pay full price then, and keep your current until it expires (no extra cost right now)

sherr6

@Alan_K wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@sherr6 wrote:

This looks like the first Public Mobile plan that includes unlimited text, but only to the U.S. and not to any other International destinations.

Also, does it include MMS? The details are vague.

Clarrification on whether this plan this plan includes outgoing text messages worldwide while you're either in Canada or the U.S. should come shortly.  However, in the past, Public Mobile did use to have plans before that didn't include outgoing texts to anywhere (only within Canada).

As for MMS, I'm almost certain that's included. I don't beleive there's ever been a plan with text messaging that didn't also include MMS.

Hi everyone, I can confirm international text is included, whether you're in Canada or the U.S. 🙂

Thank you for the update! And MMS? Included in both countries to send Internationally?

Edit: MMS is included Internationally. 

• Unlimited US Roaming Talk, Text, and Picture messaging
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Vidal wrote:

If I switch to this plan , does it start as soon as I switch when I do it online ? Or do I have to wait for the plan I’m on to end first ?  Do I get a rebait on what I didn't use?

@Vidal 

When you select the new plan, you can choose to make the change immediately or set it to change on your next renewal date. If you choose to change immediately, you will not get any refund or credit for the remainder of your already paid plan.  As long as you have scheduled the change while this plan is being offered, you will get this plan even if your renewal occurs after this plan is no longer offered.

Vidal

Alan_K

@computergeek541 wrote:

@sherr6 wrote:

This looks like the first Public Mobile plan that includes unlimited text, but only to the U.S. and not to any other International destinations.

Clarrification on whether this plan this plan includes outgoing text messages worldwide while you're either in Canada or the U.S. should come shortly.  However, in the past, Public Mobile did use to have plans before that didn't include outgoing texts to anywhere (only within Canada).

As for MMS, I'm almost certain that's included. I don't beleive there's ever been a plan with text messaging that didn't also include MMS.

Hi everyone, I can confirm international text is included, whether you're in Canada or the U.S. 🙂

Vidal

I’d be guessing it’s probably 3G but that’s Goodnuf this that’s all I get in Canada and it works great. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Prior to this plan being offered, freedom mobile was the only carrier that offered a plan similar to this one.  I hope this offering means freedom is being taken seriously by the big 3.  

@SomeFriend wrote:

Like any other roaming service, MMS will most likely count towards data usage while roaming in the US but not within Canada, on Public Mobile’s network.

What I’d like to see is better US roaming addons (and domestic data addons) and possibly international roaming, since the roaming agreements are already in place at Telus.

MMS goes through a proxy server and is always treated differently than other mobile data.  How would the roaming talk and text add-on work without mobile data?  

@computergeek541 wrote:

@sherr6 wrote:

Unless there's no common sense applied to the construction of this plan, when in Canada the plan is identical in function to a talk, text and data plan with calling to Canada and US included, and when in the US this plan functions as if a talk, text and data add-on were purchased.  It would one hot mess if the US roaming add-ons were completely different to this new plan.  

XionBunny

Sweet new plan, too rich for my blood though, wish there was a higher data bonus on the low to mid range plans, would bring things more closer to our american counterparts.

Need Help? Let's chat.