cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get 4 GB at 3G speeds for $40!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of 9:35AM ET June 25, 2018: This plan is now expired. 

Hey Community,

For a limited time only, Public Mobile is offering a $40 for 4 GB at 3G speed plan which includes Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and Unlimited International text. This offer is available for new and current customers. Plus, if you sign-up or renew on this plan and refer a friend, you and your friend will also be eligible for our new and improved  Refer a Friend Reward. Let the savings begin!

Plan details:

• 30-day plan
  • 4 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to Get this Offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the ready-made plan “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

Remember, this promotion is for a limited time only, so hurry and activate as soon as possible!

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer, what is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

You may choose to change your plan immediately or on your next renewal date. Here is the difference:

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

• There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.
  • A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.
  • Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.
  • Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.
  • Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

• If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.
  • If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.
  • You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.
  • Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

256 REPLIES 256

LEGO

@vtustian What is your phone make / model?

If, you need to setup APN network for your data to work, please, read this: click here

Cellexcite
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have you set the correct apn on your phone? Also how much time has transpired since you activated? It can take up to 24 hours from the time of activation before all features function as they should. 

vtustian
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi I registered and activated my account but when I try to use my data I receive the error message that my plan does not include data.  Can someone please advise if there is something additional required for the public mobile system to recognize my phone has data. I’ve specifically bought the 4G at 3G for $40/month plan. 

CalvinW

@srlawren wrote:

@CalvinW wrote:

I guess different people get different offers. The Koodo text I got was 4GB LTE and Canada wide calling for $40

@CalvinW yes it depends on which plan you're on at PM.  Even then, sometimes if you don't take the first one, they come along with a different offer to try to entice you.

Thanks for letting me know, I wasn’t aware of that. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CalvinW wrote:

I guess different people get different offers. The Koodo text I got was 4GB LTE and Canada wide calling for $40

@CalvinW yes it depends on which plan you're on at PM.  Even then, sometimes if you don't take the first one, they come along with a different offer to try to entice you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalvinW

@wetcoaster wrote:

@mysticode wrote:

Thanks for the info @wetcoaster and @GreatCanadian !

Comparing the PM promo with the Koodo promo, are the only main differences than:

1. Canada wide with Koodo vs Province wide with PM

2. LTE with Koodo vs "3G" speeds with PM

and

3. $45/m with Koodo vs $40/m with PM

@mysticode

If we're going with your comparison (I don't have access to the Koodo offer) it boils down to paying $5 more for full speed LTE at Koodo instead of LTE throttled to 3mbps at PM.

Screenshot-2018-6-22-4-GB-of-data-at-3G-speed-1.jpg

jay100

yep and for autopay reward. if you choose the top up right now then u won't be able to get autopay for that month and like you said we can change if we find another better deal haha

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mysticode wrote:

I'm hoping that one day PM will simply move us all to LTE for free 🙂

*crosses fingers*

Dont hold your hopes up. More likely to be 1) offered to move to Koodo post paid LTE or 2) everybody on Public moved to 3G / LTE lite 

MBT

That's some solid advice there

Tiptopssss

Pretty good deal

mysticode

I'm hoping that one day PM will simply move us all to LTE for free 🙂

*crosses fingers*

GreatCanadian

Awesome! And great choice!! 😁

GC 

mysticode

@GreatCanadian done and done, thanks!

mysticode

@wetcoaster my mistake, I miswrote what I was thinking in my head. All of these plan details between Koodo and PM are confusing me, probably why I came to get clarification from this Community in the first place! 🙂

Thank you again for clarifying everything.

GreatCanadian

@mysticode,

If you are are currently on the 3g plan just go ahead and future date for the promo plan. It's the same as the 40 dollar plan you are on, but is Canada wide. You will not lose any rewards. The only difference will be that you will have Canada wide instead of province wide . 

GC 

@mysticode wrote:

Koodo always was doing a $100 bill credit, but that looks to be gone for now.

I think I'll stick with PM's $40 a month plan (lowered due to benefits) with the 4GB of data. 3mb/s is fine for my current use case, and I travel more to the USA than I do to the rest of Canada, so province-wide is sufficient.

As I tried to point out with my screen shot - this new 4GB/$40 offer (which is discussed in this thread) includes Canada-wide talk but is "LTE light".

You cannot personalize this particular offer. And if you build any 3G speed / LTE light plan yourself, Canada-wide talk is exactly the same price as province wide.

The previous 4/40 promos (most notably the infamous 2016 fall promo) were province wide talk but full speed LTE. I personally have not made it onto the fall promo, but if I had, I would probably stick with it, since it would work my personal needs (I only occasionally need Canada-wide calling).

mysticode

Koodo always was doing a $100 bill credit, but that looks to be gone for now.

I think I'll stick with PM's $40 a month plan (lowered due to benefits) with the 4GB of data. 3mb/s is fine for my current use case, and I travel more to the USA than I do to the rest of Canada, so province-wide is sufficient.

@mysticode wrote:

Comparing the PM promo with the Koodo promo, are the only main differences than:

and

@mysticode

If we're going with your comparison (I don't have access to the Koodo offer) it boils down to paying $5 more for full speed LTE at Koodo instead of LTE throttled to 3mbps at PM.

Screenshot-2018-6-22-4-GB-of-data-at-3G-speed-1.jpg

mysticode

and

GreatCanadian

Premium text messages refer to text messages that incur a surcharge. Messages where you cast a vote for something (something like American Idol), donations, subscriptions, etc. It's not your regular text messages to friends.

GC 

@mysticode wrote:

Can someone clarify the international texting for me in this plan?

In the details it says: "Includes text and picture messaging. Premium and subscription-based messaging, to and from non-Canadian numbers, are not included. Picture messaging on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system."

What is premiumessaging? Does this mean any international texting done outside of Canada is not included?

I ask this because on Koodo's plan right now for PM members, international texting is not included (the $45 LTE plan), so I want to make sure I understand what this PM deal is offering.

Thank you

Texting included in the plan is for sending standard SMS and MMS while you are in Canada to destinations in Canada and internationally (the later can be dependent on the recipient's carrier...)

(Make sure your data connection is on for MMS, sending MMS will not count against your data bucket, though.)

Public Mobile only offers roaming packages for the US (as in: you add the roaming add-on and can use the according features in the States), getting service in any other country you'd need to find a local solution or another provider who offers roaming.

mysticode

Can someone clarify the international texting for me in this plan?

In the details it says: "Includes text and picture messaging. Premium and subscription-based messaging, to and from non-Canadian numbers, are not included. Picture messaging on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system."

What is premiumessaging? Does this mean any international texting done outside of Canada is not included?

I ask this because on Koodo's plan right now for PM members, international texting is not included (the $45 LTE plan), so I want to make sure I understand what this PM deal is offering.

Thank you

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CalvinW wrote:

I'm not on the Fall Promo, and recently got an offer from Koodo. 4GB LTE and Canada Wide Calling for $40, which is even better but going to missed out on the various rewards from PM. Why do you have to make it so hard to decide? Only if this 4GB plan was LTE...

You do get tab discounts on phones at Koodo, but call forwarding is $3/month extra and the US roaming rates is not as good as PM.  There's always a trade-off.  Make sure you consider all of these before switching. Half my lines are on Koodo and the other half on PM.

CalvinW

I'm not on the Fall Promo, and recently got an offer from Koodo. 4GB LTE and Canada Wide Calling for $40, which is even better but going to missed out on the various rewards from PM. Why do you have to make it so hard to decide? Only if this 4GB plan was LTE...

Jonavin

@angloo wrote:

I am VERY upset that Public Mobile threw us out and forced us onto Koodo.

And they have no customer service.

And they don't respond to former custromers on their page.

Are you seriously saying they somehow came up with a better plan and will offer it fto former customers?

So all we have to do is go to Walmart and get a sim card installed?

How long does this $40/mnth plan last? Because thanks to Public Mobile kicking me off their system to purge customers, I have to stay with Koodo until December.

If I find a better plan, I will switch.

$40 for 4GB seems to be a better plan.

I DESPISE having to post in a "community" to ask questions but let's see if you or anyone else actually responds.

Like I said...THANKS TO PUBLIC MOBILE I am STUCK with this program another six months.

This just pure nonsense. You chose to leave PM in the first place. If you don't like community forum support PM isn't really right for you. This is how they operate to keep costs low and be able to offer these low rate plans. And how are you STUCK in another program? There's no contracts at Koodo. You are free to leave any time.

cmatassa

@angloo wrote:

Are you seriously saying they somehow came up with a better plan and will offer it fto former customers?

How long does this $40/mnth plan last? Because thanks to Public Mobile kicking me off their system to purge customers, I have to stay with Koodo until December.

I DESPISE having to post in a "community" to ask questions but let's see if you or anyone else actually responds.

Like I said...THANKS TO PUBLIC MOBILE I am STUCK with this program another six months.

Public Mobile doesn't "throw out" anyone or force anyone onto Koodo.  Sometimes they send you text messages with offers to switch to Koodo, but that's it.  Their customer service is only in this online community, you must send the @CS_Agent a private message and they will get back to you.  If you don't like this setup, maybe it isn't a good carrier for you.  You can purchase and activate a SIM card at Walmart.  Public Mobile didn't force you to go with Koodo.

GreatCanadian

Are you serious? Noone forced you to go anywhere. And if you "DESPISE" having to come to a community forum to ask questions, then Public Mobile is certainly not the provider for you. I don't know why you would even consider coming back.

GC

angloo

GreatCanadian

You absolutely CANNOT go over your data with Public Mobile  

GC 

crystalholtby78
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

just question if a friend go oveer the data dos eit turn it off untill the next billng date

Need Help? Let's chat.