cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get 4.5 GB at 3G speeds for $40!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of October 16, 2018: This offer is now expired.

Hey Community,

Effective July 18th, 2018 as a competitive response, we are bringing back our 4.5 GB at 3G speed for $40 plan for a limited time only!

Plan details:

$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

310 REPLIES 310

When the increase on the Fall 2016 plan happened, I was lucky that my renewal date was a couple days before the price increase, so I got a lot more time than others to figure out what I was going to do.

This summer has had a few great great promos for existing customers, and I’ve locked in the 8GB for $50 (for now), as my renewal isn’t until early December.

I may still cancel the switch (this is a habit of mine), but at my current loyalty and community and others reward level, I’m still paying less than $40/30 days.

I don’t want to give up full LTE speeds Incase they actually get to my device someday, but the easier payment frequency is a big draw.

@ottawa wrote:

I didn't wish for anything, I just said I didn't think they'd throw us off. Technically they'd have to give 30 days notice, right?

I lived through multiple increases to my old grandfathered plan (I had no basis to file a complaint), until this spring I was headed out the door (with 3 friends) to Videotron (I think it was $30/2GB on a group plan, but I could be wrong) because the latest increase was just too much. Then they introduced the Canada-wide 3G-throttled plans and the 4 of us stayed for those. I think we all started with $30/500MB (less $3-$4 loyalty and $2 autopay Rewards) and 3 moved to $40/4GB then 4.5GB.

The Fall 2016 promo is a different beast entirely, that plan was explicitly promised not to increase, so they were violating the terms of service _for that plan_. If they announced tomorrow our $40/4.5GB was going back to 2GB in 30 days, I don't think we'd have a leg to stand on with CCTS and they'd live with any complaints. Just a guess though.

=aw

I would think that technically the terms of service applies to everyone.  When you do something that affects many in a big way, the social license aspect comes into play.  

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I didn't wish for anything, I just said I didn't think they'd throw us off. Technically they'd have to give 30 days notice, right?

I lived through multiple increases to my old grandfathered plan (I had no basis to file a complaint), until this spring I was headed out the door (with 3 friends) to Videotron (I think it was $30/2GB on a group plan, but I could be wrong) because the latest increase was just too much. Then they introduced the Canada-wide 3G-throttled plans and the 4 of us stayed for those. I think we all started with $30/500MB (less $3-$4 loyalty and $2 autopay Rewards) and 3 moved to $40/4GB then 4.5GB.

The Fall 2016 promo is a different beast entirely, that plan was explicitly promised not to increase, so they were violating the terms of service _for that plan_. If they announced tomorrow our $40/4.5GB was going back to 2GB in 30 days, I don't think we'd have a leg to stand on with CCTS and they'd live with any complaints. Just a guess though.

=aw

@ottawa wrote:

Yeah, we're losing the $40, $45, and $50 offers on Oct 15. 😞 I'm sure they won't throw us off the plans, just won't let us sign up or switch to them.

=aw

Be careful what you wish for my friend.  The terms of service definitely allows them to turf everybody off the plan with notice.  Naturally, if they did that every time a promo ends, the churn would be crazy high.  Pull this stunt a few times and nobody will use this service.  For the sake of stability, they simply reserve the right to kick the existing customers to the curb but choose to take no action. 

BTW, look back to February 2018 on what happened when an attempt was made to apply the terms of service on the 2016 fall promo customers.  1600 CCTS complaints later, the price increase was rescinded. 

ottawa

Yeah, we're losing the $40, $45, and $50 offers on Oct 15. 😞 I'm sure they won't throw us off the plans, just won't let us sign up or switch to them. My only question is whether the $40 plan will go back to 4GB (which it used to be) or 2GB (which is used to be before that). For signing up I mean, though the 4.5GB was (is) advertised as 4GB + 0.5GB bonus, so will be still get 4.5GB?

Thanks! 

=aw

beleaf67
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hopefully they will have another great special in the near future 😛

A328

October 15th 2018.  They have just announced it today. 

Souky123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Awesome plans are getting better just keep eyes open. Welcom3

A328

I signed up last Sunday.  Migrated from Fido and can’t complain.  

@Souky123, please stop reposting this statement.  I responded to this in a different thread.

Unlimited is available in Canada, but not on this network.  If you really want it, go elsewhere.

PM has terrific prices for what they’re offering for throttled speeds on the 4G LTE network.

Subscribers do not need unlimited cellular data with all of the WiFi available in most coffee shops, restaurants, pubs, etc.  Most home Internet is also unlimited now.

use your technology wisely.  Use lower quality audio and video, save media for offline use.

Dont fall victim to what plans are offered in IS... There are so many terms of service that more than limit the unlimited usage to making users follow specific instructions to get the so called unlimited usage.

Souky123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good service as it's Telus Network. Besides waiting on customer service which is very slow. They need to concentrate on unlimited Data just like the USA. Canada can do it. They just aren't. Hopefully on day

@StewartMann wrote:

I've only been with PM for a week on the $40 plan (was with Bell for $60+)  I've been really pleased so far.

I have not noticed and difference between my former LTE+ service and PM's 3G, the speeds seem exactly the same.

My calls to the UK seem to me to have a better sound quality, and are much cheaper than with Bell.

The only down side is if I ever have the need to contact a moderator, 48hrs+ is not really acceptable if your service is down.   Hopefully I won't have that problem.

@StewartMannThis is why its always good to have a back up free voip number such as Fongo.

StewartMann

I've only been with PM for a week on the $40 plan (was with Bell for $60+)  I've been really pleased so far.

I have not noticed and difference between my former LTE+ service and PM's 3G, the speeds seem exactly the same.

My calls to the UK seem to me to have a better sound quality, and are much cheaper than with Bell.

The only down side is if I ever have the need to contact a moderator, 48hrs+ is not really acceptable if your service is down.   Hopefully I won't have that problem.

@Dunkman wrote:

@Jason6441

No known expiry date.  It has been going on since mid July.  

Usually, Public mobile will give a few days notice before the deal ends. I guess that it depends on what the competition is doing also with their promotions (ie. Lucky mobile, Chatr).  

It's been almost 3 months now. Hopefully soon we see this axed and some fresh promotions, maybe in the $25-30 range take its place.

Lorna152

Just switched my better half plan to this plan. He was with chatr but they didn't offer a deal like this one

Lorna152

I got this plan in the middle of summer. So who knows 

Cjade

Great deal. So happy so far

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bugwhy no one knows how they generate the migration list.  Did you sign up before the offer was sent out offer?    If you are not eligable on this round you will have to wait till/if it's offered to you

bugwhy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched from koodo to PM to get that offer but so far I didn't get any msg. Do they send msg certain no's or after certain time everyone gets that deal?

@Jason6441

No known expiry date.  It has been going on since mid July.  

Usually, Public mobile will give a few days notice before the deal ends. I guess that it depends on what the competition is doing also with their promotions (ie. Lucky mobile, Chatr).  

Jason6441
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up with this deal!! Half price and 2x the data than my old plan. Anyone know how long he deals usually last?  Gotta get some friends signed up

beleaf67

yes i did 🙂

ottawa

Welcome to PM! Did you remember to give a referral for the first plan, and yourself as a referral for your wife's?

=aw

beleaf67

I picked up 2 SIM cards from local walmart.  I just activated the SIM and switched from pervious Petro Canada Mobility to PM ($25 plan for now, in 2 months will be going on 3G plan).   I transfered my phone number from Petro right away.   I can call from the new SIM and it shows my old phone number. 🙂  However I cannot call my cell, as old Petro number redirects me to its voice email.   How long will take for a petro phone number to be transfered?   will I get txt/email once the transfer of my old phone number is complete?

Thanks guys so much for making this painless experiance. 🙂

EDIT: got quick txt confirmation from PM.  Everything works so far :-).   I just added my wife to PM, hopefully her petro phone can be ported too.   In December I will be switching to 3G plan for sure.   I already see the difference in signal strenght/quality over petro/rogers I just left 😉  Thanks for all your help guys...

@RobertQc, I agree with you on this.  Give me 90-day plan that works out to $30-$35 with 2.5-3 GB monthly, I'd be happy.

Heck drop the price of my current Fall Promo to $105 or $90, I'd be happy 🙂

@smp99, until Blue carrier 3rd tier and Red carrier 3rd tier change their promos, I think you'll see this one stick around, as a promo.

We know it's a competition between the 3rd tiers, as it is with 2nd and Primary also.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Brooke_C wrote:

Hey Community,

Effective July 18th, 2018 as a competitive response, we are bringing back our 4.5 GB at 3G speed for $40 plan for a limited time only!

Plan details:

$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

What happens if the “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

Where are the $30-35 promotions??

If you want to be "competitive" why only be competitive for the "big gig plans". How about adding something for the ones here that are looking for 1gb or even 2gb a month. Be competitive where it matters to many of us that moved to public mobile. Price. And don't think we didn't notice the lack of 90 day deals.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think we are past the point of no return here. 

This 'promo' has lasted so long that it has almost become regular pricing now. If they take it away, I don't think there would be very many new sign ups since most would be aware of the price that was.

Which leads way to other promos that are even more better.  (Yes - I said more better! )

beleaf67

actually I will be moving in 60 days as my 2yrs with Fido expries... so I guess I will go with 30 days plans for now and I will hope we'll have some specials 🙂

@beleaf67, after you get the 90-day up and working, go into self-service (My Account) and find the change plan button.

You will be presented with the entire list of ready-made plans, one of which is the $40 for 4.5 3G speed 30-day.  Select it, and near the bottom of the page, you'll find a "Change on next renewal" button.  As mentioned, this will lock it in, in case it becomes no longer available during your 90-day of talk and text only service.

You will also have the ability to schedule a different plan for change on renewal (if there's a better one for your needs) or cancel if you choose to keep your current plan.  Rescheduling or cancelling should be done PRIOR to your renewal date.

Need Help? Let's chat.